Jared Goff and Christian Hackenberg

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The Jets, at 2-5, are in a similar situation as the Rams. Why not start your rookie quarterback and see what happens?
**************************************************************************************
http://mmqb.si.com/nfl-rookie-quarterbacks-2016-christian-hackenberg-jets-jared-goff-rams

The Rookie QB Waiting Game
While other first-year quarterbacks flourish, the pass-poor Jets—like the Rams with Jared Goff—are letting second-rounder Christian Hackenberg watch and learn. But how long can a needy team afford to sit a valuable young investment?
by Jenny Vrentas

mmqb-christian-hackerberg-jets-warmups.jpg

Five QBs drafted or signed after Christian Hackenberg have seen playing time this year, several in starting roles.
Gene Puskar/AP

EAST RUTHERFORD, N.J. — Christian Hackenberg was one of the first players dressed and ready to leave the Jets’ locker room after Sunday’s win against Baltimore. On game days, at least for now, the rookie quarterback’s workday is over quickly. He’s just supposed to watch and learn and absorb as much as he can.

The Jets’ quarterback carousel took another turn on Monday with the surprising news that Geno Smith tore his ACL on Sunday. In a week they’ve gone from benching Ryan Fitzpatrick, to seeing Smith suffer a season-ending injury, to hearing Fitzpatrick publicly venting that the coaches, GM and owner stopped believing in him after his 11 interceptions in the first six games.

The string of events virtually ensured that neither Fitzgerald nor Smith will be back with the team next season, which raises the question that’s become a perennial one for the Jets: What’s the plan at quarterback?

Since the previous regime gave up on Mark Sanchez as their franchise guy, the Jets haven’t had an answer to that question, at least not the right one. Will this season help them get any closer?

It’s not that sitting a rookie quarterback is a bad idea. That was the Eagles’ plan with Carson Wentz, until Teddy Bridgewater’s injury in Minnesota spurred the Vikings to offer a first-round pick for Sam Bradford; the Broncos, too, are doing it with Paxton Lynch (though he saw some action when starter Trevor Siemian went down in early October).

But the Jets, and the Rams, fall into a different category: teams that need a quarterback change, and are choosing not to play their high draft pick.

It doesn’t help that around the league seven rookie quarterbacks have played this season, all of them selected after Jared Goff and five of them taken after Hackenberg (including Seattle’s Trevor Boykin, an undrafted free agent).

On the whole, these rookies have fared well, whether starting or in relief, with all but one of the seven QBs posting passer ratings above 80. Dallas’s Dak Prescott, who may very well have unseated Tony Romo, leads the way with a 103.9 rating through six starts.

In both Los Angeles and New York, however, the coaches are prioritizing the long-term potential of their high draft pick, deeming playing him in the short-term either detrimental or not viable. The Rams will stick with Case Keenum, coach Jeff Fisher stated without reservation after Keenum’s four-interception performance in the overseas loss to the Giants.

The Jets will turn back to Fitzpatrick, with Bryce Petty, a 2015 fourth-round pick, the expected backup (or next QB in) once his preseason shoulder injury is fully healed.

102316-NFL-Los-Angeles-Rams-Jared-Goff.vadapt.980.high.1.jpg

FOX Sports

The Jets liked Hackenberg enough to draft him in the second round, 51st overall, but he was a polarizing prospect coming out of Penn State. Different teams had wildly different evaluations of his uneven college career.

If the Jets continue the current trajectory of their season, which is off to a disappointing 2-5 start, it seems likely they’ll try playing Petty to see what they’ve got there. But what about Hackenberg—is a redshirt season the best course toward a ROI on that second-round draft pick?

The Jets seem to think so. Coach Todd Bowles said last week that with three quarterbacks in front of Hackenberg, the rookie was not going to get enough practice reps to be in a position to can play in a game this season. For the past two weeks, since Petty has returned to practice, Hackenberg’s only reps are a split of the scout-team work.

“We’ll somehow create a competition or something, play our own games, within those scout-team reps,” Hackenberg said, speaking of how he and Petty share duties. Smith's injury, of course, bumps both of them up the depth chart.

After Hackenberg was drafted, his coaches alluded to potential work to be done on his mechanics, but the regular-season isn’t the most opportune time to do so. That would be done during his first offseason with the team. If he has bad habits, it’s possible that playing him now would reinforce those.

Hackenberg says his focus has been on learning from how Fitzpatrick and Smith prepare for starts, and mastering not just the Jets’ offense but also the wrinkles of NFL defenses, particularly those in the Jets’ division and conference.

“There’s obviously that competitive nature inside you that wants to do things,” Hackenberg said on Sunday, a day before the team learned that Smith had torn his ACL. “But I think you can sit there and sulk about it, or take positives from it and grow. That’s the road I’m trying to take, growing from every opportunity.

Mental reps, and physical reps when I get them. So it can kind of go two ways. I am trying to lean toward making the most, the best out of the situation, and getting every possible resource and learning experience that I can.”

Asked about watching other rookies around the league play and have success, he gave a polite side-step. "Just staying in my lane,” he said.

Of course, there are nine games left in the season, which means there’s plenty of time for more benchings, or other injuries, that further spin the carousel. Fitzpatrick’s poor play through two months has muddied the Jets’ short-term plans.

Now they also have to be considering, how can this season help them clarify their long-term plans at a position that has been thwarting their postseason hopes for five seasons and counting?

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Awesome.
Now we can compare Goff with Hackenburg

Drafting a QB in the 2nd round is how you sit a guy for a year or so
Trading 6 picks to get a guy #1 overall is not...

Rmfnlt

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Awesome.
Now we can compare Goff with Hackenburg

Drafting a QB in the 2nd round is how you sit a guy for a year or so
Trading 6 picks to get a guy #1 overall is not...
That's the real kicker in all of this to me.

Like the article mentions, sitting a QB and letting them learn isn't a bad thing in and of itself... but when you have used so much draft capital to get one guy? Makes getting him in there sooner much more compelling.

(not to mention the rather pedestrian play of your journeyman QB).

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's the real kicker in all of this to me.

Like the article mentions, sitting a QB and letting them learn isn't a bad thing in and of itself... but when you have used so much draft capital to get one guy? Makes getting him in there sooner much more compelling.

(not to mention the rather pedestrian play of your journeyman QB).
Yep.
The thing that Goff seemed to have was the ability to make subtle plays in the pocket. Great footwork, kept eyes downfield, seemed to have the intangibles that allowed him to stay cool amidst pass rush. Not a plus arm, not overly athletic, and accuracy while great was consistent with other top throwers.
So the irony to me is that what made him so good to move up for, is what is being sold is his weakness.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It's amazing how everyone is speculating that Goff sucks when it is Fisher's moves that are freaked
I don't believe anyone is really saying that. I think people (myself included) believe that Fisher's actions and statements come across that HE believes that about Goff. That you must really stink if you cant impress the coach over this mess

gabriel18

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
They don't belong in the same sentence. I'm a Penn State fan and Hackenburg was head case and not very good his last two years . I don't think he will amount to anything in the NFL . Goff is our only hope right now .

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

The other side of that is because they have used so much draft capital on him, it might not be wise to throw him out there until the coaching staff feels he's ready.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Because they spent so many draft picks for Goff is EXACTLY the reason NOT to start him til he has the best chance for success.

The argument he isn't learning anything sitting on the bench is pure BS. He's learning a ton. When he does start, he's going to light it up with a minimum of mistakes. I know I'm in the minority, but I agree with how Fisher is handling Goff.

Have patients Rams Bros.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The other side of that is because they have used so much draft capital on him, it might not be wise to throw him out there until the coaching staff feels he's ready.
Which defies conventional wisdom of playing the rookie right away. (With good results)

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I liked Hackenberg too....

IDK about that sitting on the bench...behind Case....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
In both Los Angeles and New York, however, the coaches are prioritizing the long-term potential of their high draft pick, deeming playing him in the short-term either detrimental or not viable.
I don't know about the Jets, but I firmly believe that Fisher believes, playing him early would be to his (Goff's) detriment.
We can debate all day long about whether or not that's actually the case, but I still believe that's the reason.
I think it started out being a viability issue, and then rolled into a detriment issue.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
Because they spent so many draft picks for Goff is EXACTLY the reason NOT to start him til he has the best chance for success.

The argument he isn't learning anything sitting on the bench is pure BS. He's learning a ton. When he does start, he's going to light it up with a minimum of mistakes. I know I'm in the minority, but I agree with how Fisher is handling Goff.

Have patients Rams Bros.

"Congratualtions @bubbaramfan"
____you just won this card
________with your post.........................>>>>>>>>.... I don't give these out everyday you know :cool:
king-solomon-wisdom-candle.jpg

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
I don't believe anyone is really saying that. I think people (myself included) believe that Fisher's actions and statements come across that HE believes that about Goff. That you must really stink if you cant impress the coach over this mess

You guys have to stop this

Dieterbrock posting to Dieter the Brock

I am totally confused now

So, both of you love HCJF? Do I have that right?
LOL:yay:

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
At this point we don't know if we have the next Tom Brady or the next Ryan Leaf in Goff, but with our current coaching staff we most likely have another Brian Quick that will take years to show anything in the NFL.
At this point I have very little expectations for Goff and even though I do not think that Keenum has been terrible, I wish that they would give Mannion a shot to try to save the season. Or at least make it more entertaining!