Jared Goff against the 49ers! Every Throw.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watch again, the safety over top doesn't move over to Higbee until after Goff turns and throws to him. If he would've thrown to Watkins the safety would have moved that way and Sammy would've been in double coverage. Goff read the coverage correctly, Higbee just didn't catch the ball.

This. The safety is over the top of Watkins.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
But Watkins was open well before the ball was thrown and the defender went to the other side of the field because Goff was looking there.

Watkins was open, the coverage was blown and there was nobody within several feet of him.

Also I think that's Woods running down the left side essentially abandoned by the defense.

I think Goff had a great game, but I also think they need to show him the other options he had here.

This was an EASY touchdown and Goff went to the third worst spot. He locked on. That said the pass was fantastic.........

but there were two other guys open for easy TD's.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Watkins was WIDE open to Goffs left and would have scored with a completed pass.

I hope they show that to him in the QB room. He missed an easy TD.

Haha, what? That was a perfect strike that should have been a td, irrespective of whatever else was happening on the field.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
This. The safety is over the top of Watkins.

He's 15 feet away from Watkins and the DB is 10 feet away.

When the GIF pauses to show Goff looking off to Gurley just look at the left side.

There are two WIDE OPEN guys.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He's 15 feet away from Watkins and the DB is 10 feet away.

When the GIF pauses to show Goff looking off to Gurley just look at the left side.

There are two WIDE OPEN guys.

I watched it on Coach's Film. The safety doesn't move towards Higbee until Goff is winding up to throw the ball. He stays over the top of Watkins.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Higbee just didn't catch the ball.

We've been over this, he didn't drop the ball.

I agree, however I dont want him hesitant to throw the pass he did there.

I'm totally on board with that and sometimes that is going to be the smart play and the right choice. It was a fantastic throw. But he had better options.

Basically I just want him to continue to trust in what he is seeing and firing the ball with the kind confidence he showed on Thursday. He will make mistakes, but he will make a lot of plays too.

Oh fuck yeah he will and he's playing really well for 9 games into his career.

Haha, what? That was a perfect strike that should have been a td, irrespective of whatever else was happening on the field.

Yeah but that was a fantastic play by the defender.

I watched it on Coach's Film. The safety doesn't move towards Higbee until Goff is winding up to throw the ball. He stays over the top of Watkins.

There isn't anyone near Watkins or (I think) Woods on the left. Totally blown coverage. They are so wide open........WIDE open.

Goff is a guy with 9 games on his resume. Hopefully next time this happens he flicks the ball to the guys wide open for an easy TD and exits the field laughing.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There isn't anyone near Watkins or (I think) Woods on the left. Totally blown coverage. They are so wide open........WIDE open.

Goff is a guy with 9 games on his resume. Hopefully next time this happens he flicks the ball to the guys wide open for an easy TD and exits the field laughing.

Okay, don't trust me. Here's a picture:
Goff_Higbee.png

Goff is just starting his throwing motion here. His weight is on his back foot, and he's starting to draw the ball back to throw to Higbee. Every other WR is covered, including Watkins who is doubled.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler

Dude, you are just plain wrong. I know how coverages work. As Jrry pointed out there is clearly a safety over top of Watkins before the ball is thrown while another defender is playing his outside shoulder. One defender inside, one defender out, he's in double coverage.

TexasRam

Legend
Dude, you are just plain wrong. I know how coverages work. As Jrry pointed out there is clearly a safety over top of Watkins before the ball is thrown while another defender is playing his outside shoulder. One defender inside, one defender out, he's in double coverage.

Agreed. People don't realize that NFL DB's respond so quick, WR's looks wide open by the time the ball comes out of the hand of the QB. They follow the body language and eyes to precision. This was a big part of Goff's Success in this game that he corrected from the Skins game by the way. Most passes in this Niner game he looks down the middle of the field to not show where the read is. Reminiscent of Steve Young and Montana in those west coast years.

But the greatest play to me, was the TD to Sammy down the Middle that Jrry shows in this thread. He not only looks to the right side of the field to pull the LBer but Jared also does a quick half pump fake before instantly coming back towards the middle to Sammy. The pump fake completely fooled the defense and opened the space for Sammy.

jjab360

Legend
Okay, don't trust me. Here's a picture:
Goff_Higbee.png

Goff is just starting his throwing motion here. His weight is on his back foot, and he's starting to draw the ball back to throw to Higbee. Every other WR is covered, including Watkins who is doubled.
Yeah, I'd say Higbee is absolutely the best option here the only thing Goff could've done better was lofted it a little more but I don't know what more he can do than hitting him right in the hands.

Rainram

Starter
Watch Kupp run his route at the 2:30 mark. Beautiful. He didn’t have big numbers against the Niners, but he’s such a good player already.