Jared Goff 1,442 days later at Miami

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
ea4139fb035fa1930ac0920d936b6c05--american-football-nfl-football.jpg

I watched the Dolphins game a few times and witnessed Goff's lethargic reaction speed on various crucial down and distance plays in the first half. In the third quarter, he missed on a couple more opportunities that might have changed the momentum of this game.

(his quick twitch awareness can quickly go from great to terrible depending on the flow of the game & it perplexes many of us)

At Miami, I seen a potential interception with little pressure get dropped by the defender.

(it's crazy how Goff seems to have luck on his side with dropped interceptions. I know all qb's get lucky dropped int's but his stand out to me)

I watched him repeat his fumble-mania blunders that have sometimes followed him from his college playing days with the California Golden Bears.

(he can go several games without fumbles or bad interceptions & then just implode in back to back games)

I seen Jared get rattled under pressure by the Dolphins and I get why the naysayers imply that he doesn't have the "special awareness instincts" that separate the decent to good quarterbacks from the great ones.

(pressure mistakes happen to all qb's but being in the NFL for 4 1/2 years, a seasoned qb should be making fewer detrimental decisions)

Even with all of his mistake prone flaws, I witnessed Goff get up off of the canvas at Miami and get the Rams back in position to have a chance to win the game late in the 4th quarter. He did the same thing in Buffalo even though the refs gave the bills some home cooking.

(down 28-17 at miami with 3:43 seconds left in the 4th qtr and 3 timeouts remaining, everett dropped a must have momentum changing opportunity that would've put the rams on the dolphins 15 yard-line.

I know goff was a huge part of the reason they never should've needed a heroic comeback but he was failed a chance to redeem himself after everett dropped the ball and the surge of momentum was lost.

Goff has come full circle since his first ever NFL start.
A loss to the Dolphins in his rookie "debut" on 11/20/2016 ( 14 - 10 ) and brutal loss 1,442 days later.
( 28 - 17 ) on 11/01/2020.

The NFL is always about one game at a time. For myself, Jared Goff's next 4 games (vs SEA, at TBAY, vs SF, at AZ) will be the dichotomy of his 2020 season and possibly the blueprint of his remaining career.

(Jared Goff to me is a real life version of Rocky Balboa. The only difference is, we don't know how his story ends because the NFL is not a Hollywood movie we can script and make the ending anyway that we prefer)

Cr5P.gif

"In Goff We Trust"
usa_today_9693700.0.jpeg

fearsomefour

Legend
Good read.
I expect Whiners to run man and bring pressure.
Don’t know if Tampa usually plays zone or man or what they run. Running the ball against them is going to be tough.
Kupp dropping the TD in SF was rough and the receivers dropped several against Miami as well.
Four hard games coming up.

Jacobarch

Hall of Fame
Name
Jake
I'd love to put that loss on Goff but after watching the game I can say the coaching staff also seemed unprepared. They couldn't beat the zero blitz. Yes Goff needs to do a better job recognizing it however mcvay needs to do a better job changing up the game plan. It seems like he tries to approach defenses with the square peg round hole technique at times.
It was a bad game

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

@flv you get it brother.

flv said; Goff to play against the Dolphins rush-6 defense which, (for me at least), makes Goff's performance so baffling. why we didn't revert back to standard 11-personnel sets earlier in the game.

I've been a lost cause since the Miami game ended.

I turned the game off & on for most of the 4th quarter.. I know that's pathetic. That Dolphin game ripped me apart and I was a hot mess

Dz1

Go Hurricanes...
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Danger Zone
I'd love to put that loss on Goff but after watching the game I can say the coaching staff also seemed unprepared. They couldn't beat the zero blitz. Yes Goff needs to do a better job recognizing it however mcvay needs to do a better job changing up the game plan. It seems like he tries to approach defenses with the square peg round hole technique at times.
It was a bad game
Yeap yeap and Hell Yes.

After the 2nd turnover etc etc McVay should have adjusted personal.

Hell we all know McVay is calling the plays.

With the 0 cover, go 2 TEs and a Rb. Empty backfield and 1 TE are you freaking kidding me.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You mentioned the dropped INT.

That was the worst play by Goff on the day, and honestly what had me so down about his performance

Tano

Legend
That 4 yard hitch was the only time I was really ticked off at Goff. He should never have thrown it.

On that particular play I was yelling at the TV for the inside receiver on the right (forget who it was) to turn left towards the middle. No one was covering the middle on that play.

I was jumping up and down screaming at Goff to see that defense and get the receiver to go to the middle instead of the right.

I know after the fact that the play called for the receiver to go to the right but I was hoping there was some kind of audible that would let the receiver and Goff know the play was going inside.

That play would have easily netted 20 yards and maybe a TD the way the Dolphins had no one in the middle. The safety was to the right before the receiver made his cut.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The one that defender jumped later - it was such a bad decision that the defender was too early and actually overran the play.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That 4 yard hitch was the only time I was really ticked off at Goff. He should never have thrown it.

On that particular play I was yelling at the TV for the inside receiver on the right (forget who it was) to turn left towards the middle. No one was covering the middle on that play.

I was jumping up and down screaming at Goff to see that defense and get the receiver to go to the middle instead of the right.

I know after the fact that the play called for the receiver to go to the right but I was hoping there was some kind of audible that would let the receiver and Goff know the play was going inside.

That play would have easily netted 20 yards and maybe a TD the way the Dolphins had no one in the middle. The safety was to the right before the receiver made his cut.

That was the only play? His two actual INTs pissed me off too - dropping a DT in coverage on a zone blitz fools college QBs, shouldn't get NFL QBs. His other one was thrown right to a defender and was just an awful decision as well.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I expect they will work hard on beating that in practice and the QB will be ready for it.

Seattle lacks the secondary to do it but if they do Goff will burn them. The teams to worry about are SF and Tampa, both will bring it a bit early and see how Goff handles it.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That was the only play? His two actual INTs pissed me off too - dropping a DT in coverage on a zone blitz fools college QBs, shouldn't get NFL QBs. His other one was thrown right to a defender and was just an awful decision as well.

Seriously, you've never seen nfl qbs get intercepted by linemen dropping into coverage?

The other one his arm got hit as he was throwing the ball. How do we know where he was placing the ball?

He played like shit but let's not crucify him.

TexasRam

Legend
The thing that about Goff that is apparent to me, after watching this amazing game of football for 40 years, is that he is a rhythm and timing QB.

Give him adequate protection and play calling early on and he can be lights out accurate among the Elite QBs. When he is in this Rhythm good night. It's often nearly every game that he gets into these extended near unstoppable streaks.

But knock him off his spot with an unblocked man and he can get rattled. He will hurry throws and get a little lost back there. If you have ever played QB you will know why. If you don't have trust in the blocking then you default to hurries resulting in misthrows and panicing.

Someone compared him to Jim Everett and I think at this stage in his career that is a solid comparison. Both can light up the scoreboard but if you rattle them early you have won half the battle. They are pocket passers. They don't do a whole lot of creative things when the play breaks down. Yes, Goff is great on the rollouts but those are also designed.

He does have alot to prove down the stretch here. Let's see what happens. He's shown to be excellent in pressure games in his young career becoming the youngest QB to lead his team to an NFC championship, so let's see.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
He's a better QB than the guy we saw vs Miami. I think he'll jump a bit after playing Seattle's defense, but here's the current rankings sorted by DVoA. I really don't like any QB rating system btw, but he's in that middle of the pack right now and I have to think he finishes around 8th-10th somewhere in that range.

1604829686670.png

Tano

Legend
Seriously, you've never seen nfl qbs get intercepted by linemen dropping into coverage?

The other one his arm got hit as he was throwing the ball. How do we know where he was placing the ball?

He played like shit but let's not crucify him.

I completely agree. Those two plays did not piss me off. I was upset with them but not as much as I was with the one that was almost jumped and would have been returned for a TD.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The thing that about Goff that is apparent to me, after watching this amazing game of football for 40 years, is that he is a rhythm and timing QB.

He does have a lot to prove down the stretch here. Let's see what happens.
He's shown to be excellent in pressure games in his young career becoming the youngest QB to lead his team to an NFC championship, so let's see.

He's sometimes the most frustrating quarterback in the NFL. He can look like Brady/Montana or any other qb comparisons anyone wants to use. Then he baffles us and plays like he did in the first half at Miami.

Rhythm style qb or not, he's been a professional for 4 1/2 years. He shouldn't always need to be in rhythm to play well. He has the talent to shake the game manager and rhythm quarterback noise that's followed him since his super bowl appearance.

1269943886.jpg.0.jpg