Jared Cook Live Presser at 12:00 EST (Streaming)

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jap

Legend
That's it? A lot of important things were left unsaid:

Where are we with Jake? Do we have a contingency plan if Delmas defects to the Dark Side? Is Johnny Hekker gonna be our emergency QB? What are the phone numbers of the Rams cheerleaders?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Fisher Updates Free Agency

Posted by nickwagoner on March 14, 2013 – 5:15 PM

- Rams coach Jeff Fisher took some time to answer some important questions after new TE Jared Cook’s introductory press conference; discussing the current goings on in free agency as well as some of his thoughts on things that have already happened.

- Fisher discussed Cook’s addition to the team, something we’ll delve further into in a feature story on the homepage this afternoon. Needless to say, Fisher is very pleased with Cook’s addition. He looked on like a proud father during Cook’s news conference and he clearly has big plans for the hulking, athletic TE.

- Fisher acknowledged the team’s interest in Miami OT Jake Long and said Long is still in the building. It appears things are building to a crescendo on striking a deal with the talented left tackle. While declining to give too many details about Long’s status, Fisher appeared hopeful something will get done soon enough. “I can’t go into that right now but he’s still here,” Fisher said. ”That’s a good sign.”

- Asked what he likes about Long, Fisher said it was pretty clear what he brings to the table and expressed no concerns over Long’s injury history after a lengthy physical on Wednesday. “Jake may be the only offensive lineman in NFL history to go to four consecutive Pro Bowls starting with his rookie year,” Fisher said. “He’s a very, very talented player. He’s still got a lot left and obviously it’s part of this process. You have to do your due diligence from a physical standpoint. We’ve done that and we’ll see where it goes.”

- In a related issue, it was reported Wednesday that current LT Rodger Saffold would ask the Rams for a trade if they asked him to move to RT. Fisher said he’s already discussed the matter with Saffold himself and that he doesn’t view it as being a problem.

“We had discussions with Rodg, not his agent,” Fisher said. ”And what I’m concerned about right now is Rodger. And Rodger’s fine.”

- Detroit S Louis Delmas also paid a visit to St. Louis on Tuesday and Wednesday. He received a contract offer but headed to San Francisco to discuss further options. “We’ve left the door open so we’ll see where that goes,” Fisher said.

- Fisher also talked further about some of the other situations currently developing at safety. He said releasing veteran SS Quintin Mikell was a difficult decision but also mentioned that Mikell could still return to the Rams at a reduced rate. “It’s part of the process,” Fisher said. ”It’s difficult. Sometimes those things happen. The door is still open. We have a lot of things going right now and it’s just putting the pieces together. One move affects another move. The communication has been great, we still have some things we are working on right now.”

- One move the Rams already made at safety was to tender and retain S Darian Stewart. Coincidentally, Stewart was a college teammate of Cook’s at South Carolina and the duo is reunited in St. Louis. Stewart didn’t play much last year and it was unknown whether he’d be back with the Rams this year but he apparently figures into the fans in a fairly prominent way, according to Fisher. “It wasn’t a tough decision as far as Stew is concerned,” Fisher said. ”Stew missed part of the offseason program and things fell into place and he didn’t get a chance to play very much but he’s a very talented player. So yeah, he steps up and he’s our guy. We are counting on him.”

- Speaking of free agents the Rams retained, Fisher expressed his happiness that William Hayes and Jermelle Cudjo, key cogs in the Rams’ defensive line rotation, were brought back on multi-year deals. Hayes signed a three-year contract in the hours before free agency opened and Cudjo signed a two-year pact the previous day. “Very important,” Fisher said. ”As we go back through the tape the last couple months he was a productive player for us. He came in, he was always ready so we wanted to get that done. Then of course Will was a priority of ours also. The way he played last year really helped the defensive front. We envision him maybe getting some more snaps this year and the years to come. Will had seven sacks last year as a backup, very impressive.”

- And finally, Fisher took a moment to wish the best of luck to WR Danny Amendola, who agreed to a five-year deal with New England on Wednesday evening. “We talked to Danny throughout the process and I am very excited for Danny and happy for Danny and his opportunity and wish him well,” Fisher said. ”We started this process back in September and it didn’t work out for us. Obviously you think as soon as Welker leaves that Danny is their guy and in fact he is. He’s going to be very productive in their offense.”

- Stay tuned for updates throughout the day as the Rams continue to work on tweaking the roster. A full story on Cook and how he fits in St. Louis will be coming later today to the homepage as well. Thanks for reading.

<a class="postlink" href="http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/03/14/fisher-updates-free-agency/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://blog.stlouisrams.com/2013/03/14/ ... ee-agency/</a>

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
X said:
- In a related issue, it was reported Wednesday that current LT Rodger Saffold would ask the Rams for a trade if they asked him to move to RT. Fisher said he’s already discussed the matter with Saffold himself and that he doesn’t view it as being a problem.

“We had discussions with Rodg, not his agent,” Fisher said. ”And what I’m concerned about right now is Rodger. And Rodger’s fine.

This is what I was wondering. Was the rumor simple conjecture from the media? Was it started by Rodger himself? Or was it early posturing by a greedy agent who wants to make sure his percentage is of a LT client - not a RT client?

I was thinking all along that this had agent or speculation written all over it. I guess we'll see but I don't see Rodger as someone who would have put this out there.

A55VA6

Legend
I'm sure Rodger will be fine with playing RT.. but when free agency rolls around next year.. will he leave?

jap

Legend
A55VA6 said:
I'm sure Rodger will be fine with playing RT.. but when free agency rolls around next year.. will he leave?

We'll make him an offer he can't refuse! :twisted:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Doesn't sound like he particularly cares what Rodger thinks. It's more or less "play where we line you up, and that's that." Seems like Fisher would like to almost completely gut any traces of the 2011 team and make it all his own (sans a few players). Saffold, it appears, is on the short-list of fringe players at the moment.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
X said:
Doesn't sound like he particularly cares what Rodger thinks. It's more or less "play where we line you up, and that's that." Seems like Fisher would like to almost completely gut any traces of the 2011 team and make it all his own (sans a few players). Saffold, it appears, is on the short-list of fringe players at the moment.

Maybe. But that's just his style. Fisher doesn't tip toe around anything.

He wants his players to succeed but within the framework of team success. I think that's how he rationalizes a discussion like this with Saffold. "You want to play well and maximize your earnings? Here is your chance. Go get it." Etc.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
TRANSCRIPT: Rams TE Jared Cook, Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher, 3-14-13

(Opening statements from Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher)
“We’ve been very busy the last couple days and a lot of hard work has paid off for us. We’re very excited about what we’ve been able to accomplish as far as, not only getting Will Hayes back under contract, but also adding a very, very good player to our offense and that’s Jared Cook. I can’t thank his agents, and (Rams Executive Vice President/Chief Operating Officer) Kevin (Demoff), and obviously, (Rams Owner) Stan’s (Kroenke) support for us to be able to put this all together. It’s a lot of hard work. We’ve had our eye on Jared throughout the offseason, not knowing whether he was going to be available. When we found out he was available, we got right to work. So the coaches are very excited. I am personally very excited. Obviously, I know Jared very well and I know he’s going to be a big part of our offense.”

(Opening statements from Cook)
“I just wanted to thank the whole front office – Jeff Fisher, (General Manager) Les Snead and Stan Kroenke for having me here in St. Louis. I’m ecstatic. I’m excited.”

(On if he still runs a 4.49-second 40-yard dash)
“Yes. I think I can. I think it’s safe to say.”

(On why he chose to come to St. Louis)
“The history between me and Coach Fisher. I know his vision. I know what he’s capable of and I’m excited (about) the path that the Rams organization has taken. It’s been a big turnaround. It looks like we’re heading for clear skies.”

(On sensing interest from other NFL teams)
“There were quite a few teams that were very interested and that were bidding. It was kind of a bidding war that happened on the (March) 12th. At 4:00 (p.m.) it was kind of hectic, but my ultimate decision was here and it’s a great one.”

(On if he talked to Fisher a lot when free agency opened)
“Yes, he called me a couple times. We conversed a little bit.”

(On Fisher’s sales pitch)
“He didn’t have one. I know the guy. What does he have to say?”

(On what Fisher’s vision is)
“It’s just all about camaraderie. It’s about the players and he’s going to make sure that his players are happy. He’s going to make sure that his players are put in the best situations that they can be in, in order to perform on Sundays. I think that’s very important to understand your players and to be able to communicate with them when you’re going through a six-month, stressful season. So, he understands the nature of the game.”

(On if he considers himself a big wide receiver)
“No. I consider myself a really good tight end.”

(On if having former Tennessee coaches and players on the team puts him in more of a comfort zone)
“Yes. (Assistant Head Coach Dave McGinnis) ‘Coach Mack’ and (Linebackers) Coach (Frank) Bush and all of the guys that were with me in Tennessee, they’re here for a reason and Coach Fisher, obviously, saw some things in them to bring them here. I know the guys well and they’re all great guys. That’s something that I’m excited about. They know the system. They know the best ways to make players better and they know Coach Fisher’s vision as well.”

(On if he thinks he’s still scratching the surface of his potential)
“I see the word potential as you really haven’t done anything. I don’t see that as myself, so I think I’m on the elevator going up. I don’t’ see myself looking back at all and I’m excited about the future here in St. Louis.”

(On what he knows about QB Sam Bradford)
“He’s a great quarterback. He has a great arm, great accuracy. What more could you want?”

(On if he’s spoken to Bradford yet)
“No, he’s out of the country right now, but the coaches tell me that he’s ecstatic. He’s excited and he can’t wait to get back.”

(On if the coaches told him how he would be used)
“They explained to me a few different things yesterday. If I told you it wouldn’t be a secret anymore, would it?”

(On if he’s excited about how the coaches plan to utilize him in the offense)
“Of course. They have a defined vision. (Offensive Coordinator) Coach (Brian) Schottenheimer and (Tight Ends) Coach (Rob) Boras, they know what they want. They know what they’re going to do with me. Sitting down with them yesterday in the meeting room going over plays, going over schemes, it had me ready to go. I was ready to line up yesterday. I still am ready to line up right now, just seeing the vision and seeing the layout that they have in this offense for me.”

(On how much he played in the slot in Tennessee)
“The majority of my time was in the slot.”

(On how he’d say he is as a blocker)
“I think I’m a great blocker.”

(On if he lined up in the backfield at all)
“Yes, a lot.”

(On what part of football he enjoys most)
“Everything. I mean, if you’re a football player, you love every aspect of the game. That’s what you play for. You play for the excitement. You play to line up on Sundays. You play for the love of the game, and that’s what I’m here for. I’m here to play and get better and be a great tight end and look good doing it.”

(On if he was surprised that the Titans didn’t use the franchise tag on him)
“I really wasn’t surprised because my team was prepared and we were ready and we knew the obstacles we had in front of us. It really wasn’t surprising to me. I think it was more of a surprise to them, but I didn’t get franchised and I’m here, which is a great thing.”

(On if there was any truth to the chatter that he would have challenged the franchise pay designations in attempt to be paid like a wide receiver)
“The statistics showed it, but that’s (neither) here nor there. We’re not there anymore.”

(On how he would describe Tennessee’s attempt to resign him)
“There were negotiations. They made offers, but obviously it didn’t work out too well. I feel like I’m in a great organization and I feel like I’m here in the right position to make me a better player and for a bright future.”

(On if his relationship with Fisher made it unnecessary to visit St. Louis before signing)
“No it didn’t, because like you said, I knew Coach Fisher. I know a lot of guys on the staff. I read up a lot on Coach Boras and Coach Schottenheimer. Those are guys that I’ll be working with. Their history kind of proceeds them in a good way.”

(On if it took long for him to get over a shoulder injury he suffered last season)
“No, not at all. I’m back lifting, back running and doing all the things I was doing.”

(On if as a kid he could have imagined signing a big free agent contract)
“It’s every kid’s dream to be that guy, and I honestly never thought it would be me. Just developing steady work habits and being focused and dedicated, it paid off. I’m blessed to be here.”

(On being part of an offense that features young playmakers)
“It’s exciting, isn’t it? It is really exciting. Just like you said: young, fast and talented players we’re bringing in, and we’ve got a goal set out. We’ve got guys on defense. Our defense is tremendous. We’ve got guys that are going to get the job done. We’re bringing in guys who will continue to get the job done. Like I said before, it’s clear skies. I’m excited and I think a lot of people in St. Louis should be as well.”

(On how many Rams players he’s met)
“I know a few, like Darian Stewart I played with (in college). Cortland (Finnegan) of course, Will Hayes. (James) Laurinaitis, I’ve met him, but like I said, it’s a different thing to work with them. That’s the thing that I’m excited about. Because it’s great team leadership, it’s a great locker room. It’s great camaraderie. It’s a great family atmosphere. This is the place that I want to be.”

Rams Head Coach Jeff Fisher – Press Conference – March 14, 2013

(On what he liked about TE Jared Cook when he drafted him)
“It was his production, his size and his speed, his ability to stretch the field, the hand-eye coordination. He’s got giant hands. He makes the tough catches. He’s a smart young man. He understands offense. He creates mismatches. That was the reason. We actually traded a future pick to get him in that draft. We traded a future two and got him in the third and then just watched him develop. He’s developed into a good player.”

(On doing a lot of different things with Cook in the offense)
“Yes. Offensively he fits in a lot of different places. It’s about creating mismatches with him and taking advantage of his abilities.”

(On how Cook will affect TE Lance Kendricks)
“It only makes it better. We’ll have them both on the field at the same time.”

(On if Kendricks can stretch the field)
“Yes, of course he can. That creates opportunities for us with the position and you can put the run game together and utilize the both of them.”

(On re-signing DE William Hayes and DT Jermelle Cudjo)
“Very important. ‘Cudj,’ as we go back through the tape in the last couple of months, he was a productive player for us. He came in and he was always ready and so we wanted to get that done. Then of course Will was a priority of ours also. The way he played last year really helped the defense up front and we envision him maybe getting more snaps this year and in the years to come. So Will, with the seven sacks as a backup, is pretty impressive.”

(On releasing S Quintin Mikell)
“It’s part of the process. It’s difficult and sometimes those things happen, but the door’s still open. We’ve got a lot of things going. It’s just putting the pieces together. One move affects another move. Communication’s been great. We still have some things that we’re working on right now.”

(On if Jake Long is still in town)
“Yes.”

(On if there’s been any updates on Long)
“I can’t go into that right now, but he’s still here. That’s a good sign.”

(On how dinner was with Long last night)
“Yes, good.”

(On if the team was close to re-signing Danny Amendola)

“You know, we talked to Danny throughout the process and I’m very excited for Danny. I’m happy for Danny and his opportunity and wish him well. We started this processes back in September and it didn’t work out for us. You’d think that as soon as (Wes) Welker leaves, that Danny is their guy and in fact he is. He’s going to be very productive in their offense.”

(On what he likes about Long and if he has any injury concerns)
“Well, Jake may be the only offensive lineman in NFL history to go to four consecutive Pro Bowls starting with his rookie year. He’s a very, very talented player and he’s still got a lot left. Obviously, part of this process, you have to do due diligence from a physical standpoint. We’ve done that and we’ll see where it goes.”

(On how potentially signing Long has affected T Rodger Saffold)
“We had discussion with ‘Rodge,’ not his agents. What I’m concerned about right now is Rodger and Rodger’s fine.”

(On if it was a tough decision to tender S Darian Stewart)
“No. It wasn’t a tough decision as far as ‘Stew’s’ concerned. Stew missed some part of the offseason program and things fell into place and he didn’t get a chance to play very much. He’s a very talented player and so if he steps up, then he’s our guy. We’re counting on him.”

(On how good of a blocker Cook is)
“Jared is a good blocker. He’s a good position blocker. Jared’s not a 285-pound tight end that’s