Janoris Jenkins Up and Down in Bryant's Shadow/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jenkins up and down in Bryant's shadow
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-rams/post/_/id/12015/jenkins-has-up-and-down-day-in-bryants-shadow

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- More often than not in the two-plus years Jeff Fisher has been the head coach of the St. Louis Rams, his defense has been pretty straightforward when it comes to coverage.

Matchups have often been passed over in order to allow the cornerbacks to stay on one side of the field for the majority of the game. Every once in a while, Fisher's defense will shadow an opposing receiver but it hasn't happened much.

Against Dallas on Sunday, though, the Rams asked cornerback Janoris Jenkins to match up exclusively with Cowboys receiver Dez Bryant.

“We’ve done it before," Fisher said. "We did it last year. We don’t do it every week. Dez was a big part of our defensive game plan and Janoris loves those challenges, so we thought it was our best chance to win this week.”

Jenkins played 55 of a possible 56 defensive snaps against the Cowboys and for almost all of them, he followed Bryant all over the field. He lined up on the left, he lined up on the right, he lined up in the slot. Wherever Bryant went, there was Jenkins. It was a move that made plenty of sense given the inexperience of rookie sixth-round pick E.J. Gaines opposite Jenkins and the team's need to focus on stopping the run with the front seven.

For the first half, Jenkins provided solid coverage, limiting Bryant to four catches and 18 yards on five targets. The other target? Jenkins jumped a stop route to Bryant, picked it off and took it 25 yards for a touchdown.

Bryant would only make two more catches in the second half but the final 30 minutes offered a shift in advantage to Bryant. One of those catches only went for 3 yards but the other was the game's biggest play.

On the first series of the third quarter, Bryant turned Jenkins inside out on a deep route down the left sideline. As Jenkins turned toward the quarterback, he let Bryant go in anticipation of help from safety Rodney McLeod while receiver Terrance Williams entered Jenkins' space on a crossing route. But McLeod had already made a move toward Williams and McLeod didn't communicate that he'd be taking Williams, who had already lost Gaines coming across the field.

That left Bryant as open as any receiver you'll ever see for an easy 68-yard touchdown.

“It was supposed to be passed off, but it was not communicated," Fisher said. “He can tell the corner that he’s going to take the crossing route. He didn’t.”

While the touchdown doesn't fall solely on Jenkins, any way you slice it, leaving Bryant alone goes against the idea of having him shadow Bryant in the first place.

Of course, that wasn't the only second half coverage miscue.

Midway through the fourth quarter, Jenkins was left outside against Bryant on a double move that ended with a pass interference penalty that gave Dallas 33 yards and a first down. Fisher said rookie cornerback Lamarcus Joyner was late and took a poor route to quarterback Tony Romo on his blitz. Had Joyner been quicker and more precise, Fisher said he thought Joyner would have had a sack and the penalty never would have occurred.

All things considered, Fisher was happy with Jenkins' performance.

“I thought he played well," Fisher said. "He has the defensive pass interference call and that’s a huge play. In the play, in the blitz we asked him to cover a double move where the quarterback is to reload the ball. I can’t fault him on that because our young nickel back took a real late, poor course to the quarterback -- would have been unblocked probably would have had a sack. He certainly wouldn’t have had a chance to pull the ball down and throw it down the field."

The Rams could get cornerback Trumaine Johnson back from a knee injury after the bye. It will be interesting to see if they continue to shadow other top wideouts when their projected starters are back on the field together.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Jenkins is becoming a stud this year. That pick six was awesome. Limiting a guy like Dez Bryant to 5 catches for 29 yards is pretty damn impressive.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I knew Jenkins was going to play well while you can never shut that guy down completely I thought Jenkins played very well. Some communication issues with the safeties and other young cbs but still good game. And I knew he was going to run an int back

Philly5

Rookie
Nothing to do with the pick6, but I thought Jenkins was our best defender on the field. In addition to covering Bryant he seemed to be constantly flying to the ball.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Jenkins was great in that game. No idea how Wagoner could call his performance up and down. The only "down" was the pass interference and that PI call wasn't really warranted. Yes, Jenkins needed to get his head around but the ball was thrown inside, Jenkins had inside position, and Dez Bryant made no attempt to attack the ball other than a halfhearted dive(flop) at the end of the play. Had he attempted to attack the ball, he would have ran into Jenkins and rightfully had a PI case. Yes, Jenkins needs to get his head around but at the same time, the rule isn't face-guarding. The WR has to be impeded. I don't believe Bryant was.

As far as the long TD is concerned, that's all on McLeod. Jenkins did what he was supposed to do and the idea that he got turned inside out is a farce. Wagoner needs to understand the technique being played on that specific play.

ZigZagRam

Pro Bowler
This was probably the best game I've seen from Janoris.

He looked like a stud, and had McLeod not done what McLeod does, Dez Bryant's stat line would've been terrible.

Athos

Legend
JJ looks vastly improved. If GW has done anything right so far, it's mostly been in the secondary.

JJ, McDonald, and Gaines been solid to spectacular.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agreed with all on Jenks having a good game overall. The TD they gave up sucks, but he did pretty well against one of the game's best WRs. I think he's on his way to a fine season.

Looking at this defense I think the loss of Chris Long and Tru Johnson have set them back a bit. Tru coming out introduces 2/3 CBs as rookies in a game against a legit playoff-level offense, with Joyner and Gaines. Stick Tru in there and you're gonna get fewer mental errors, and less chance for big plays given up. Same deal with Chris Long, he is much better than STL fans give him credit for, he keeps the contain, consistently balances the pass rush, and pumps up the defense.

Just IMO... We are in for a very nice climb to respectability on defense. It's coming. There is too much talent and the coaching is excellent. Defense is gonna come together.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah. I stated on another thread that I think he is going to be an elite corner. He has all the skills and he tackles better than most. How many defensive touchdowns do he have.?