Janoris Jenkins, Greg Salas impressive early at RamsCamp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Written by Will | 29 July 2012
http://www.ramsherd.com/2012-articles/s ... scamp.html

Bradford-and-QBs.jpg

Photo by Stella Horton

As always, the first open practice of RamsCamp is an event of our own making. There are footballs, and football players, but this is not Football. Players were in shorts and shells, and spent most of the first hour of the day stretching and working in position groups on athletic drills. Watching a practice is somewhat like watching a clockmaker wind a clock ... it's just daily business.

As clockmakers go, Jeff Fisher is clearly friendly with having lots of moving parts going at once. There is always action happening on multiple fields in any given practice, but even among position groups Fisher's Rams were operating in multiples. When the quarterbacks were asked to work on their dropbacks, for example, they all took snaps and did their drops simultaneously.

At times it was chaotic for the casual fan, but it gives the maximum number of players the maximum number of reps, and coaches have videotape to lean on afterwards for confirmation of their evaluations.

Caveat: I didn't get to stick around long enough to see 11-on-11s, but there will be other practices on other days where I can get some of those observations in. Here's a quick synopsis of what I noticed:

Janoris Jenkins is smooth as silk. Jenkins might be the best natural runner on the team, which is doubly impressive since he did most of his work on the backpedal. I made the comment on Twitter that Jenkins looks like Mardy Gilyard in reverse - he has the same lightness of foot, the same swivel in his hips. But he has better hands than Mardy, and hopefully a better NFL head as well.

Brian Quick looks great in a straight line. The receivers all put in work in various combinations during 7-on-7 drills, with Greg Salas (playing mostly on the outside) and Danny Amendola making a number of good catches. Quick was matched up against Bradley Fletcher and Trumaine Johnson, among other corners, and showed a nice amount of wiggle in his early jumps. However, when the wideouts were running a four-corners drill, making a series of 90-degree cuts, Quick was noticeably unquick making his cuts. (At least he was being precise.)

Given the number of passes that Bradford threw before the receiver had made his break, Quick's role in a timing-based offense might be limited early. But his red zone presence should be impressive right from the start, as long as Bradford's line can give him protection enough to hold the ball.

Robert Turner, Quinn Ojinnaka getting early looks on the OL. Turner was filling in for the gimpy Scott Wells as the team's number one short-snapper, and Ojinnaka was getting a taste of life as a starter at left guard. From what I hear from folks who stuck around for the full 11-on-11s, the defensive line was well ahead of the offensive line, but that's not that surprising.

Salas, Pettis, Bradley Fletcher all ran without a hitch - or a brace. I don't know if we saw game-speed from any of the three today, but these Rams returning from the MASH unit all looked healthy. Which is a plus on the first day.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm expecting big things from salas this year. he will be a starter. as a rookie he looked like the best rams wr last season.

everyone keeps raving about jenkins, from day 1. can't wait to see him in action.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
kurtfaulk said:

i'm expecting big things from salas this year. he will be a starter. as a rookie he looked like the best rams wr last season.

everyone keeps raving about jenkins, from day 1. can't wait to see him in action.

I agree about Salas. I thought he was looking excellent for a rookie WR before he got injured. I think we would have seen him continue to progress throughout the season if he didn't get hurt. I look to him to be the #2 WR this year. I think he's much faster and a better route runner than people give him credit for. He also made a lot of tough catches.

I'm being cautiously optimistic on Jenkins. I remember hearing how great Lance Kendricks looked in the preseason last year, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
brokeu91 said:
kurtfaulk said:

I agree about Salas. I thought he was looking excellent for a rookie WR before he got injured. I think we would have seen him continue to progress throughout the season if he didn't get hurt. I look to him to be the #2 WR this year. I think he's much faster and a better route runner than people give him credit for. He also made a lot of tough catches.

I'm being cautiously optimistic on Jenkins. I remember hearing how great Lance Kendricks looked in the preseason last year, and he didn't exactly set the world on fire.
It was only the first day of camp and all, but it was encouraging that Salas was on the outside with Quick to start things off. Ammy and Smith on the inside. Of course Salas and Smith can alternate in the slot and on the outside, so it's obviously good to have that kinda versatility at the WR position.

HitStick

Van Jefferson’s #1 fan
X said:
brokeu91 said:
kurtfaulk said:

It was only the first day of camp and all, but it was encouraging that Salas was on the outside with Quick to start things off. Ammy and Smith on the inside. Of course Salas and Smith can alternate in the slot and on the outside, so it's obviously good to have that kinda versatility at the WR position.

I have always seen Salas as an outside WR. He has the size, route running, and hands to make it on the outside. He plays fast too.

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
I am very very happy that Salas is doing well after his injury. It's really nice to see a UH player making a positive impact on the team.

I hope Aaron Brown is doing well to, but from what I read last night he's pretty small compared to the other LB's on the team.

GO WARRIORS!!

Ram_Fan

Rookie
Name
Ken
brokeu91 said:

I would be in the same boat as you, but watching his college videos of him going up against AJ Green, Ashlon Jeffery...etc. while he was playing for the Gators erased that. He's going to be a stud, and I just hope he stays in the right track with his off the field issues.

Also, hearing that WR's only can get little separation while he's covering them is awesome. The old days of Justin King getting burned by opposing WR's is gone has a nice ringing to my ears.