Jamon is Gone - Claimed by the Giants

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

fearsomefour

Legend
Brown going to the Giants might be a good fit.
His weakness is pass blocking and Eli is looking very mobile these days (New York Giants blue font).
I do wish him well and hope sticks long term with big blue.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Yep, sounds good to me too. Love to see another year of Saffold and Whit playing next to each other. There is no mystery as to why Gurley gets most of his yards running to the left.

~ArkyRamsFan~
Great to see conversions to Team Saffold!! The big dude has just been great, a key to our success, and as Kromer recently said is probably the most under appreciated O-lineman in the NFL. And maybe the best guard. And a class act.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Good for Brown he can help in New York and I will get to see him as well. Wish him all the very best, until he's playing against the Los Angeles Rams.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Good for him, he's a solid run blocker and he'll complement Barkley well

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Contrary to suspicion, I don’t think Jamon’s waiver had anything to do with a character problem or a looming suspension etc., etc.

I think it was just about cap $.

Even though Jamon was a 3rd round pick, his 2018 cap number ballooned way up (compared to his first 3 seasons). Jamon’s cap hit in 2018 was around 1.7 or 1.8 M, I believe.

Taking on Dante, the Rams had to free up some cap space, and so waiving Jamon was a logical choice.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
This was a mistake in my book. Jamon was one of our best players period. OK not a star, but an above average - way above average Pass - blocker

I agree we need to keep Saffold as he is in his prime and set for more pro bowls. So, could we have worked out a new contract that gave us some cap relief this season? After all, we have been looking to add an OLB all year and so this cap issue was firmly on the horizon

As it is we might loose Saffold and Fowler... as well as Brown (who we could have resigned or recouped a pick for)

Sorry, but I whole heartedly disagree with most of the posts...

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
This was a mistake in my book. Jamon was one of our best players period. OK not a star, but an above average - way above average Pass - blocker

I agree we need to keep Saffold as he is in his prime and set for more pro bowls. So, could we have worked out a new contract that gave us some cap relief this season? After all, we have been looking to add an OLB all year and so this cap issue was firmly on the horizon

As it is we might loose Saffold and Fowler... as well as Brown (who we could have resigned or recouped a pick for)

Sorry, but I whole heartedly disagree with most of the posts...

I hear you, Jamon was a beast last year, I get the suspension at the start of the year hurt his case for the season I just wonder if there was something else??

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

i'm still trying to work out why they didn't trade him. are they saying no team would give a pick for him?

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame

i'm still trying to work out why they didn't trade him. are they saying no team would give a pick for him?

Thats why I think there's something else... he's too good a player just to be waived - he graded very highly last year. There are plenty of lines out there that could benefit from his skills.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Thats why I think there's something else... he's too good a player just to be waived - he graded very highly last year. There are plenty of lines out there that could benefit from his skills.

The something else was the suspension so teams could have been leery of the history. I'm sure the Rams tried to deal him if that was the case, just could not, that does happen at times. Brown will get his shot with the Giants, but I guess it just came down to dollars and cents and I don't like losing him either, but an Edge rusher was essential, so depth has to come from Noteboom & Brian Allen.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
The something else was the suspension so teams could have been leery of the history. I'm sure the Rams tried to deal him if that was the case, just could not, that does happen at times. Brown will get his shot with the Giants, but I guess it just came down to dollars and cents and I don't like losing him either, but an Edge rusher was essential, so depth has to come from Noteboom & Brian Allen.

We've been lucky with our Online additions since Kromer, Blythe has been playing out of his skin and I'm putting this all down to Coach Kromer, the unit is one of the best in the league - I know they had an off week last week but I don't think that will happen again.

I'm very excited about what Fowler will bring tbh

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I know they had an off week last week but I don't think that will happen again.

They actually had a tough week against the Broncos too, they need to clean up pass protection of late, but I was shocked last week McVay did not call more screens to offset the blitzes by Mike Pettine and the Packers....Keep in mind the Rams also have three Offensive Linemen on the Practice Squad in Tackles Darrell Williams (not the guy Rams had for years, different guy), Rick Leonard & C/G Aaron Neary, so maybe the Rams felt that Noteboom & Allen were ready along with one of the others, if they had to be activated.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
They actually had a tough week against the Broncos too, they need to clean up pass protection of late, but I was shocked last week McVay did not call more screens to offset the blitzes by Mike Pettine and the Packers....Keep in mind the Rams also have three Offensive Linemen on the Practice Squad in Tackles Darrell Williams (not the guy Rams had for years, different guy), Rick Leonard & C/G Aaron Neary, so maybe the Rams felt that Noteboom & Allen were ready along with one of the others, if they had to be activated.

They're going to have to up the game against the Saints

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
This was posted in another thread sorry can't remember who posted it...part of article.

https://theramswire.usatoday.com/2018/10/30/nfl-los-angeles-rams-dante-fowler-salaryc-ap-contract/
...................According to Over The Cap, Fowler carried a cap hit of $7.3 million in 2018, but only $1.926 million of that will be paid by the Rams. He’s a free agent in 2019 so there are no future ramifications, making this a very easy financial situation to break down. Los Angeles had just about $1.8 million in cap space before the move was made, which means it had to part ways with someone before adding Fowler to the 53-man roster.

The Rams did exactly that, waiving guard Jamon Brown and saving $1.7 million. When these transactions are reflected on the salary cap, the Rams will be in the green and have about $1.7 million to spend for the rest of the season.

In simple terms, the Rams basically swapped out Brown for Fowler, losing about $200,000 in the process. A very small price to pay for a guy who will be an immediate starter at outside linebacker.
Ah ok, thought we had more cap than that. Thanks for the article.

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
Too bad they couldn't get a pick by trading him, but he is an FA next season unless the Giant tag him correct? So if the Rams wanted to resign him, they still could.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
OK I know we are undefeated .........Yes the OL has been having issues the last few games.

Goff is getting hit & often. Sacks are becoming more common. The OL has also had some problems in the power run blocking too. Not sure whats happening but all five are not as sharp as they were. One might guess the age is catching up with our older three OL'ers.

The lack of screens is bothering to me too:shocking:. With both Todd Gurley & Malcolm Brown have show'd they can cause major issues to defenses in the screen game. Brown sure has looked good thus far spelling Gurley(y)

Goff is not as sharp either. His throws have been too high, too low & behind. How long has it been since Goff has been able to hit Cooks long consistanly? Cooks caught 26 passes the first four games..the last four games Cooks has 9 catches. Woods has done better but in the first 4 gms he had 24 catches with 3 TD the last four gms Woods has 22 with ZERO TD's. Having Kupp back is sure to help Cooks & Woods.4th WR Josh Reynolds finally arrived last week in a good way. So there is some positives here too.

I find it very interesting that the Rams could not trade a starting OG Jamon Brown for a needed draft pick.:banghead: Most all teams need good expereinced OL'ers. :unsure:

Last edited:

iamme33

Pro Bowler
Name
dan
Sullivan got beat badly in the last game. just thought it was simple to move blythe to center and brown back in at rg if Sullivan keeps struggling. hope he is better against aints.

VegasRam

Give your dog a hug.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Doug
I was previously in the let Saffold walk camp. I am now changing sides. Count me on Team KeepSaffold.

Just curious as to why - injury history, probable cost, age, bigger needs elsewhere?