James Bradberry is worth the investment!

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Malibu

Pro Bowler
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
OBJ as much as I hate to say it, is a luxury for this season due to his injury. There is no way to tell how long it'll take him to get back to form which is why we signed Robinson and haven't heard anything about him signing. Not saying I don't want him back but his injury make his contributions this year harder to predict than had he not been injured. The CB room is an injury away from being hit hard. Long has mostly been a disappointment, Rochelle had an up and down year, and everyone else behind them has limited experience playing as starters. With that said, we need viable starters at as many spots as possible. Unfortunately it also depends on what any of these players want. I'm all for adding talent if it works within the confines of what the Rams want. The draft showed that the Rams really thought the secondary needed some fresh blood because it seems like they are not looking at re-signing Long and a few others. I see nothing wrong with the Rams adding a 1 year rental in Bradberry if they can convince him to take a lower salary to compete for a championship after playing for the shit show organization known as the Giants. It allows us to better integrate our young secondary players into bigger roles by having 3 viable starters to show em how it's done. I'm not super confident we'll get Bradberry, but it doesn't hurt to try to strengthen our D. If we did manage to sign him, it sends another strong message to players across the league that are ok with ring chasing (it's how we got Weddle) just how much more we want it than other teams. At the end of the day, I'll trust the Rams to do what they deem best.
I doubt he will do a 1 year rental he is 28 and in his prime. This is the best time to get a nice contract. But playing for the Rams ups his value most likely and that helps in the long run of his career. Most players that have left they are being cut or demoted outside of Von. When you have a strong dl a superstar corner plays need to develop quicker and that makes everyone look a little better conversely when a cb has to hold up longer his stats will never look as good.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
I doubt he will do a 1 year rental he is 28 and in his prime. This is the best time to get a nice contract. But playing for the Rams ups his value most likely and that helps in the long run of his career. Most players that have left they are being cut or demoted outside of Von. When you have a strong dl a superstar corner plays need to develop quicker and that makes everyone look a little better conversely when a cb has to hold up longer his stats will never look as good.
Our selling point is look at how Von got paid after he won a ring with us. He's still young so if he balls out with us and we repeat, he'll definitely break the bank with his new team. Key thing is he has to buy into that concept. That in itself definitely isn't a given, but it never hurts to try.

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
I cannot see it happening

IMO OBJ > Bradberry and it's not even close

Does it have to be either-or? If so, I hope we keep OBJ who has "hall of fame" ability if not the record

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
It has been a while since we drafted a corner like Durant. He has a lot of juice and sticks on guys with ease. He also is aware of the ball. This guy isn't Rochell. He is more like Bly with the ball skills but less of a gambler and not as limited athletically.

Durant is going to lock down either the slot or hash opposite Ramsey from day one. His only real issue is his size which makes slot likely. But to me he might have the ball skills to counter that. Rams don't have anyone in the secondary with skills like him.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
It has been a while since we drafted a corner like Durant. He has a lot of juice and sticks on guys with ease. He also is aware of the ball. This guy isn't Rochell. He is more like Bly with the ball skills but less of a gambler and not as limited athletically.

Durant is going to lock down either the slot or hash opposite Ramsey from day one. His only real issue is his size which makes slot likely. But to me he might have the ball skills to counter that. Rams don't have anyone in the secondary with skills like him.
Love the enthusiasm ... and respect the optimism but I might lower the expectations just a little.

For the record, I liked the Decobie Durant-pick and I am hopeful he turns-out to be a good cornerback. However, I don't think he would have lasted to pick #142, and been the 17th-CB-selected if even a couple of teams thought he was as good as the above analysis. Just would not have lasted that long.

Dre Bly was a high-second round pick. Durant was a low-fourth.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams drafted two slot corners in Durant and Kendrick. Durant might be able to compete for that outside hash job opposite Ramsey too. Then they added Hill, who, as we all know giveths and takeths, but for depth purposes he's a nice add. Long showed some things down the stretch. Rochell has some ceiling to him and is going into year two.

It's hard to look at that room now and say we need more. Especially when we have a gaping hole at OLB. So if it's me I'd reserve whatever cap space they have right now for a trade deadline deal on a rusher. Which, granted, is going to be far more competitive to do this year after the Rams hit a grand slam on Miller last year.
That Durant is a short dude who can play! ~ Tutu

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Love the enthusiasm ... and respect the optimism but I might lower the expectations just a little.

For the record, I liked the Decobie Durant-pick and I am hopeful he turns-out to be a good cornerback. However, I don't think he would have lasted to pick #142, and been the 17th-CB-selected if even a couple of teams thought he was as good as the above analysis. Just would not have lasted that long.

I don't care about where they were picked. Just talking about what I'm seeing on his tape. This guy can play and when I have to go back to Bly to find a guy with his ball awareness it's exciting for me.

So keep your low expectations I'm gonna enjoy this bowl of sugar. :laugh1:

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame

I'm with Allen2McVay on this one as the majority of rookies need time to develop and rarely come out the gates firing on all cylinders. This is why I get the attraction towards signing someone like Bradberry since it gives Durant more time and vets to learn from. We can sprinkle him in and pull him from games if and when he has growing pains. However s someone stated above, if we had to choose between OBJ and Bradberry then I'd certainly understand why the coaching staff would lean towards OBJ but honestly we could fit both. Fitting them depends on the cap we gain from extending Kupp and Donald since I'm sure we'd only take Bradberry as a 1 year rental so it doesn't affect the future cap.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I don't care about where they were picked. Just talking about what I'm seeing on his tape. This guy can play ...
Not to be critical of your tape-study but outside of Clemson (a 49-3 loss but Durant supposedly played well), did you take notice of South Carolina State's 2021 opponents?

Usually, when I disagree with fellow Rams' fans that I think are being a little too optimistic, I usually add ... and I absolutely do so here ... I hope I'm wrong ... and you are right.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
Not gonna happen
They said that about a lot of players going to the Rams and it did happen. I think it's more like 20-25% possible just because it's the aggressive ass Rams we are talking about. I'm just leaving the window slightly open based on that alone but I'm not super optimistic about it either.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Not to be critical of your tape-study but outside of Clemson (a 49-3 loss but Durant supposedly played well), did you take notice of South Carolina State's 2021 opponents?

Usually, when I disagree with fellow Rams' fans that I think are being a little too optimistic, I usually add ... and I absolutely do so here ... I hope I'm wrong ... and you are right.
Of course. And it's why he was available. That level of competition does matter. Between that and his size you get a real ball skill corner being available midrounds.

I'm saying I look at our picks every year and his ball awareness really stands out. But he is also sticky in coverage. Doesn't mean he's gonna hit or that we have a Pro Bowler on our hands. I am seeing, however, the kinds of things that Pro Bowlers have in the NFL.

Also and btw keep in mind that it's very hard to study corners without all-22 type film. So there's that too. There's a lot of stuff going on back there that we will miss but the teams will have that. I generally dislike looking at corners for that reason. But again this guy... I'm excited.

Last edited:

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Fitting them depends on the cap we gain from extending Kupp and Donald since I'm sure we'd only take Bradberry as a 1 year rental so it doesn't affect the future cap.
If the Rams were going to go the 'one-year-rental' route, I think they would have simply done a trade.

The Giants likely would have taken a late-round-pick because the cap savings for a trade would have been a little more than through a release. Bradberry's contract would have expired after 2022, so the Rams would have had no commitment beyond this season. Although his 2022 salary would have been very high, the anticipated 2022 cap relief from the expected Donald and Kupp extensions would have made it workable.

That's what I had posted a month before the Draft but it no longer seems feasible. Trading for Hill and drafting Durant seems to have ended any possibility. Bradberry should cash-in; and the Rams are probably not in a position to be in the bidding.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Of course. And it's why he was available. That level of competition does matter. Between that and his size you get a real ball skill corner being available midrounds.

I'm saying I look at our picks every year and his ball awareness really stands out. But he is also sticky in coverage. Doesn't mean he's gonna hit or that we have a Pro Bowler on our hands. I am seeing, however, the kinds of things that Pro Bowlers have in the NFL.
hater!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Of course. And it's why he was available. That level of competition does matter. Between that and his size you get a real ball skill corner being available mid-rounds.

I agree with everything you just wrote but in your prior-post ... the one I replied to and pushed-back against, you wrote the following: 'Durant is going to lock down either the slot or hash opposite Ramsey from day one.'

THAT was a little optimistic in my opinion.

El Chapo Jr

Hall of Fame
If the Rams were going to go the 'one-year-rental' route, I think they would have simply done a trade.

The Giants likely would have taken a late-round-pick because the cap savings for a trade would have been a little more than through a release. Bradberry's contract would have expired after 2022, so the Rams would have had no commitment beyond this season. Although his 2022 salary would have been very high, the anticipated 2022 cap relief from the expected Donald and Kupp extensions would have made it workable.

That's what I had posted a month before the Draft but it no longer seems feasible. Trading for Hill and drafting Durant seems to have ended any possibility. Bradberry should cash-in; and the Rams are probably not in a position to be in the bidding.
Yeah I see your point but we also don't know what the Giants were asking for in a trade. It's highly possible they were being low balled like crazy and being asked to take on most of Bradberry's contract because everyone knew he'd be released. The Giants I'm assuming said no but since he's been released, he apparently more attractive all of a sudden as a free agent. All the NFL teams are going to try to get him at a much better rate now because he got released way late into FA. Will Bradberry cash in? Maybe, but definitely not as much as if he hit FA before it started. Hence why I say the 1 yr rental route is a smart pitch. Everyone knows the cap is only going to go up. If he signed with us and helped us repeat, damn would he get paid a ridiculous amount vs what he'll get now. Whether that pitch works or not depends on what he wants and what other teams offer. Time will tell. We have a chance but it's a slight one.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree with everything you just wrote but in your prior-post ... the one I replied to and pushed-back against, you wrote the following: 'Durant is going to lock down either the slot or hash opposite Ramsey from day one.'

THAT was a little optimistic in my opinion.
He will lock down one of those roles. Reason I am so sure is because these things are relative. We don't have anyone with ball skills in that corner room. Rams drafted two slot corners to ensure someone would be able to win the job. Hill is insurance.

I know Hill is insurance because he's Hill. He will give and he will take. His inconsistency keeps him in that depth type role and it's what Cleveland overlooked when they paid him.

These draft picks will get every opportunity in the slot for sure. So I'd say probably 70% Durant winning that slot job. But if he plays well enough in camp they might let him compete with Rochell which is going to open things up in the slot for Hill since he'll only have to beat out Kendricks.

But Durant will start, and when I say start I include slot. He'll either be our starting slot corner or he'll show so well they put him outside opposite Ramsey. But best case is that Rochell wins that job and Durant is the slot. Which leaves Hill as first guy in with the rest of the sub packages depending.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I’m so conflicted on this Bradberry thing.

Both sides have made such good arguments both pro and con.

I will say this. If they really WANT to badly enough the Rams COULD sign both OBj and Bradberry plus a solid edge to be named later.

It would involve restructuring both AD and Kupp, of course, but the point is that if Rams feel that they need it then it could be done.

IF the Rams make such an Uber bold move then I have to ask this question. Just which team will they face in the SB?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I agree with @Merlin on Durant; I loved this kid's tape. I don't know if he'll be Dre Bly, but to say that Hill automatically starts over him because he's a rookie doesn't mean much to me; this kid has elite ball skills, elite coverage, only in a smaller package.

Kendrick is also interesting. Rochell, in all honesty, will lock down a starting spot. Hill is definitely insurance, given how hot and cold he gets.