Jameis winston

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The 2 concerns I have about him on field...

1. Baseball-like delivery
2. Needs to learn to throw ball away

For me, I was most bothered by his issues recognizing and spotting the underneath zone coverage. He struggled throwing between levels of zones and it resulted in quite a few of his interceptions in 2014.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
The 2 concerns I have about him on field...

1. Baseball-like delivery
2. Needs to learn to throw ball away

For me, I was most bothered by his issues recognizing and spotting the underneath zone coverage. He struggled throwing between levels of zones and it resulted in quite a few of his interceptions in 2014.

Yeah but that'll come with experience and film study. His delivery isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, but it isn't the quickest delivery either. I don't think that can be fixed. And his lack of understanding when to just throw ball away is concerning but I think that comes with on-field maturity.

Don't know, I don't see many on-field issues with him. He's going to be really good. And I've investigated enough of his off-field issues to me personally label him as an immature kid and not as a bad kid. Difference.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Yeah but that'll come with experience and film study. His delivery isn't as bad as some people make it out to be, but it isn't the quickest delivery either. I don't think that can be fixed. And his lack of understanding when to just throw ball away is concerning but I think that comes with on-field maturity.

Don't know, I don't see many on-field issues with him. He's going to be really good. And I've investigated enough of his off-field issues to me personally label him as an immature kid and not as a bad kid. Difference.

I gotta disagree on that front. Keep in mind that he's been playing baseball every year which reinforces bad habits. His problematic area in his delivery is before the throwing motion which makes it a lot easier to cure. If it were a hitch on the back-side of his motion, I'd say that it's unlikely to be fixed. But what slows his motion down is him dropping the ball down before drawing it back as if he were winding up in a pitching motion. Because this comes before the throwing motion itself, I think it's a curable defect. Will it be fixed? Can't say. But I'd say it's a lot more fixable than most throwing motion defects.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
And Winston is a winner.
Lots of winners in college didn't translate to the NFL. I think the talent and athleticism is pretty damn good. I just don't know that the will to be great comes with the package. I guess we'll see.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I gotta disagree on that front. Keep in mind that he's been playing baseball every year which reinforces bad habits. His problematic area in his delivery is before the throwing motion which makes it a lot easier to cure. If it were a hitch on the back-side of his motion, I'd say that it's unlikely to be fixed. But what slows his motion down is him dropping the ball down before drawing it back as if he were winding up in a pitching motion. Because this comes before the throwing motion itself, I think it's a curable defect. Will it be fixed? Can't say. But I'd say it's a lot more fixable than most throwing motion defects.
Something we've talked about, and I said on his Pro Day thread, that since the NFL Combine, his motion is already a lot better, but there's a caveat, muscle memory. What will he do in a stressed situation, or tired situation? We just don't know yet, but his release is much improved from the season already. Grayson...I'm seriously worried about his throwing mechanics.

thehammer

Rookie
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Something we've talked about, and I said on his Pro Day thread, that since the NFL Combine, his motion is already a lot better, but there's a caveat, muscle memory. What will he do in a stressed situation, or tired situation? We just don't know yet, but his release is much improved from the season already. Grayson...I'm seriously worried about his throwing mechanics.

when judging qb success personality trumps all....going from a .46 to .41 in his delivery time is as important as a drunk going from 30 tall boys a night to 29

think the x scout thatI talked with, Mayock and myself share the same on the field concerns....when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better...think we are all using Ockhams Razor...and coming to the same conclusion

and Winston's off the field issues make him undraftable....

Last edited:

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
With Winston I see a kid playing with some of the best talent in college, against a good schedule not great. I saw significant drop off from year 1 to 2, many careless throws. And I cant recall a kid with as much off field baggage coming in to the NFL and straightening up.
I loved him as a Frosh but really hope the Rams dont touch him, even if he's there at #10

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
It
when judging qb success personality trumps all....going from a .46 to .41 in his delivery time is as important as a drunk going from 30 tall boys a night to 29

think the x scout thatI talked with, Mayock and myself share the same on the field concerns....when you have two competing theories that make exactly the same predictions, the simpler one is the better...think we are all using Ockhams Razor...and coming to the same conclusion

and Winston's off the field issues make him undraftable....
It hurts him badly, no doubt about that in my mind. He'll be drafted though. Too big of a risk for me, but talent wise, he's the best QB out there. Someone will draft him.

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
Maybe I'm oversimplifying things here - but here is how I see things.

As draftnics, we develop (often pretty early in the process) our favorites and those guys that we just can't stand. Mostly its based on what we see on Saturdays, sometimes its a personality thing, sometimes its the eyeball test, sometimes the measurables, sometimes we are swayed by what the draft media has to say, usually a combination of these things.

I will readily admit that my biases exist and they sway me wildly. I find myself disregarding red flags on my guys and accentuating red flags on the guys that I don't like. I do not have a fair and balanced system when it comes to assessing red flags - the guys I like get a pass and the guys I don't get blasted. And I don't think I'm on my own with this.

Having said that, I think that in the real world you just can't assess character red flags without getting to actually meet the player. You can learn a lot from police reports, interviewing old coaches, teammates, teachers - but you just can't make a real character evaluation without a face to face conversation.

With Winston, I don't like his rap sheet (especially when the investigations that didn't lead to charges are considered). I fully believe that FSU bends over to protect their players. I do suspect that Winston has been one of those kids who has been worshiped since high school and that he has some entitlement issues.

But I also see a kid who suited up to play when the entire sports world was watching and wagging their fingers. He had very public very serious allegations against him and he played thru it. He has played from behind many times and played thru it. His teammates follow him. His coaches love him. He understands football and he is really good at it.

Would I hire him to watch my kids? No.

Can he be my QB and even the face of my football team? Absolutely.

Mr. Walker

Rookie
Name
Scott
It

It hurts him badly, no doubt about that in my mind. He'll be drafted though. Too big of a risk for me, but talent wise, he's the best QB out there. Someone will draft him.

And it'll be the Bucs at #1 overall.

Boston Ram

Hall of Fame
Winston's off field issues are so overblown IMO. The kids by all accounts loves football and eats and breathes it. Lots of players have character concerns and do just fine in the NFL, heck we have a few on our current roster that have had no issues. Put the right support system in place for Winston and let him focus on what he loves which is football, he is going to be just fine.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
but remember posters reveal much more then they should about themselves by their words
I'd suggest you stop with this nonsense. You can make your points just fine without resorting to this kind of BS. I know you can. I've seen you.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
If only Cade was 6'3 226 lbs....that guy had talent....Hell, I saw Gaston Green play at 12 and figured he'd become an HOF'er...
Yeah - had high hopes for Cade - Oregon boy from West Linn. But alas - he went the way of Joey Harrington.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
What if Jameis Winston is a giant named Hodor?
That would make him virtually useless in the huddle and they'd always have to use a silent snap count - no? I mean - how many times are you going to fool a defense with ... HODOR!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That would make him virtually useless in the huddle and they'd always have to use a silent snap count - no? I mean - how many times are you going to fool a defense with ... HODOR!

Omaha seems to work. ;)

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
There's probably a very good chance of that. Tell you the truth, I hope they take him.

I do too. I'd like to see the Bucs as a good team again...unless them not taking Winston means he ends up in our laps. Then yes, pass on him.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
I do too. I'd like to see the Bucs as a good team again...unless them not taking Winston means he ends up in our laps. Then yes, pass on him.
You know what's different this year? I don't think anyone really has a clue as to what we will do this year. I really hope we trade down, if we can, if there's not someone there that we are in love with.

We knew when we loved Bradford, we knew when we loved Brockers, we knew, we loved Tavon, and Ogletree, we knew we loved Greg Robinson, and Donald. And somewhere in the distance, you can hear JT crying....

It would be a lot easier if need met the value.

Last edited: