Jameis Winston probably out of Rams' reach in draft/Wagoner

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Jameis Winston probably out of Rams' reach in draft
By Nick Wagoner

http://espn.go.com/blog/st-louis-ra...entering-draft-but-probably-out-of-rams-reach

EARTH CITY, Mo. -- Florida State quarterback Jameis Winston's father made it official Wednesday morning, telling ESPN.com's David M. Hale that his son will be entering the 2015 NFL draft.

That Winston is turning pro should be no surprise and it's certainly good news for the St. Louis Rams in that it at the very least adds another top quarterback to the mix. The Rams are in desperate need of a franchise quarterback, and though they intend to bring Sam Bradford back next year, coach Jeff Fisher has made it very clear they're looking for someone "outside the building" to compete with Bradford.

In many ways, Winston would be a good fit for the Rams. He has the playmaking ability and skills that have ESPN draft analyst Todd McShay saying things like “on the field, between the lines, Jameis Winston is the best QB, and I believe the best player, in the 2015 NFL draft.”

And while Winston comes with red flags off the field, the Rams have showed no fear in taking players with questionable backgrounds. Since Fisher arrived in 2012, they've rolled the dice on players such as cornerbacks Janoris Jenkins and Trumaine Johnson and linebacker Alec Ogletree.

But the reality is that even with those red flags, Winston probably isn't going to fall to the Rams' pick at No. 10, and neither is Oregon quarterback Marcus Mariota, should he turn pro. Tampa Bay, Tennessee, Oakland, Washington, the New York Jets and Chicago are among the teams in front of the Rams that could be interested in a top quarterback, even if some are denying that at this early stage.

That means the Rams would probably have to make a bold move up to even have a shot at Winston. Fisher hinted last week that such a move might not be out of the question, though he wasn't specifically talking about any individual player.

Should Winston somehow slip to No. 10, the Rams can and should give him strong consideration. But if they have to pay a hefty price to go get him, the off-field issues surrounding him would make that a most dangerous game.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I would also like to see the Rams somehow acquire Winston but how much would you be willing to trade up to get him?
Two firsts and two thirds if that's what it takes.

Athos

Legend
Two firsts and two thirds if that's what it takes.

You talking two future 1sts? Like 2016/17?

If they're truly sold on his character, okay. I'm getting to the point of accepting that. We desperately need a QB with legitimate talent or all the reconstruction of talent under Snisher will be for naught.

But damned if it ever comes out that some part of that girl's story was true.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
You talking two future 1sts? Like 2016/17?

If they're truly sold on his character, okay. I'm getting to the point of accepting that. We desperately need a QB with legitimate talent or all the reconstruction of talent under Snisher will be for naught.

But damned if it ever comes out that some part of that girl's story was true.

Nope. #10 and a future first.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well freak, if he passes an EXCRUCIATING character and background test, I'd hump that deal into submission.

Yea, I'd absolutely do #10, future 1st, 3rd, and future 3rd. But three firsts isn't something I'm willing to do at this point.

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
Well freak, if he passes an EXCRUCIATING character and background test, I'd hump that deal into submission.
I'm still not sure how that would even be possible, given what we already know.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
To get him away from a QB desperate team would almost be impossible. I think he goes top two after the combine. He might be the last legit QB prospect in the draft. The last with a sure starter grade.

I'm saying if Tenn. want's him. at least the RG3 price for the Rams.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm still not sure how that would even be possible, given what we already know.

It all comes down to the rape accusation and his work ethic. The other stuff won't stop a team from drafting him. That's been proven time and time again.