Jalen Ramsey

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Name
Seth Griffith
I’m sure I’m not the only one who has noticed that he has been getting beat quite a bit. Luckily Foles missed on deep targets against him. He seems to be trying to make a splash play and it seems his technique is suffering. He does make big plays in games, but his “guessing” is going to bite us one day. Only me or does anyone else have this feeling about his play?

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
WTF you talkin' about? ~ Janoris Jenkins

Stl2La

Hall of Fame
I’m sure I’m not the only one who has noticed that he has been getting beat quite a bit. Luckily Foles missed on deep targets against him. He seems to be trying to make a splash play and it seems his technique is suffering. He does make big plays in games, but his “guessing” is going to bite us one day. Only me or does anyone else have this feeling about his play?

There was no way in hell Foles was completing the pass when he was backed up on the goal line. Ramsey knew the blitz was coming and played his coverage accordingly. The other play you’re talking about was maybe the last play of the game and I think Ramsey just got caught off guard a little.

I’m extremely happy with his play so far. I’ll be honest I didn’t know he could hit like he has so far. The dude fkn brings it. Love that about him. Qbs don’t even look his way really and when they do it bullshit attempts like the two you speak of for the most part. Like any player he could do some things better but I have 0 issue with his play so far.

Da-Rock

Pro Bowler
I agree, they showed a few that I never saw during the game where he gets beat badly, but they never threw it that way. I'm not sure what it is, but he sure reminds me of Peters right about now.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
This is what happens when you watch a player, every snap. They all get god/bad breaks and some times they get beat. The other guy is getting paid too. Just seeing box scores of other players doesnt tell the whole story.
Speaking of which, on the play when Chicago was backed up to the 1, that move Darnell Mooney put on Ramsey was EPIC. My ankles broke from just watching. Chicago QB situation is so terrible that Mooney's star cant shine. That dude has serious skills and any team trying to cover him 1 on 1 with no deep help is just begging for hurt. Except they dont have anyone who can get him the ball

Ellard80

Legend
I've posted about this a couple times... For one Jalen is a bigger somewhat lanky db. So speed guys, and quick change of direction dudes are not the best match up for him. Many people thought he would be better at safety than corner back in his draft days.

He is a talented and smart player - but yeah I need to see more from him. He gets cocky and thinks he can squat on routes. It better not burn us at the worst possible moment this year. He got beat 3 times deep in the game that I saw. He had a key hit on 3rd down that lead to a turnover on downs later - but I also noticed him make a "business" decision twice and not attempt to tackle people, instead backing up and watching. I wasn't really paying attention to him either - i just saw it happen.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Peters is actually a pretty good tackler. He is strong - his issue is he gambles and gets burned over the top.

Peters is a shit tackler, not because he can't do it, but because he never tries. He's soft as shit, which is why we traded him in the first place, along with his failure at gambling and the fact that he was a free agent after that year.

I'll take Ramsey over Peters every day, especially Sunday.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The difference between a guy like Peters and a guy like Ramsey is a vast gulf. Peters gets beat because he's athletically limited and must be protected by the scheme. On the rare snaps Ramsey gets beat it is because of eye discipline.

You can coach eye discipline.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
I'm not worried about Ramsey. He's gambled and that's what greats do. Sometimes it bites them in the ass, sometimes it doesn't. I haven't seen the plays but I sometimes wonder if the Safety isn't where they need to be sometimes. Ramsey's usually going against the best so he's bound to get beat.

Psycho_X

Legend
1603909054001.png

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Ramsey does at times play for the ball to come out quicker, as he did when Foles over threw the ball down the sideline when backed up. Ramsey has confidence in the DL getting pressure like they did on the play when Foles was backed up. If Mooney and Foles try the quick pass Ramsey is right there to stop it, or Foles can roll the dice and try to throw up a 50/50 ball. All CBs gamble at times during every game, when they are right they are praised and when they are wrong they are bashed. I have no problem with Ramseys play. I love the way he fires up the D with his big hits and until he is getting beat for TDs regularly like Peters was, I will take his smart physical play.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
Please.
Maybe one day he’ll be beat and cost us a game, but that doesn’t change all the impact plays he makes before then. I’m so impressed with Ramsey, and especially his ability to lay the wood.

His key tackles near the first down market alone give him a pass on a few coverage plays. He isn’t just a lockdown island DB, he’s a complete defensive football player. Maybe he gets beat a few times, but everyone does and he more then makes up for it with his impact the rest of the damn game.

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
Peters is actually a pretty good tackler. He is strong - his issue is he gambles and gets burned over the top.
Peters shys away from contact, and whiffs on a lot of tackles. Peters is a good zone CB, but tackling has never been a strength for Peters.

TheBunk

Rookie
There's maybe 3 plays a whole game where you even see the ball being thrown in the guys vicinity and you're worried about him gambling? I see he's already spoiling some of y'all here.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Ramsey does at times play for the ball to come out quicker, as he did when Foles over threw the ball down the sideline when backed up. Ramsey has confidence in the DL getting pressure like they did on the play when Foles was backed up. If Mooney and Foles try the quick pass Ramsey is right there to stop it, or Foles can roll the dice and try to throw up a 50/50 ball. All CBs gamble at times during every game, when they are right they are praised and when they are wrong they are bashed. I have no problem with Ramseys play. I love the way he fires up the D with his big hits and until he is getting beat for TDs regularly like Peters was, I will take his smart physical play.

Ramsey does at times play for the ball to come out quicker, as he did when Foles over threw the ball down the sideline when backed up. Ramsey has confidence in the DL getting pressure like they did on the play when Foles was backed up. If Mooney and Foles try the quick pass Ramsey is. right there to stop it, or Foles can roll the dice and try to throw up a 50/50 ball. All CBs gamble at times during every game, when they are right they are praised and when they are wrong they are bashed. I have no problem with Ramseys play. I love the way he fires up the D with his big hits and until he is getting beat for TDs regularly like Peters was, I will take his smart physical play.

Well said! You can't take away every possible play on defense, you have to make choices. And I'm sure Ramsay and the coaches will be in communication about the best approach in specific situations.

In the meantime can't help but think we would have posters going postal over "soft" coverage if Ramsay were giving up short completions for first downs.