Jake Long?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ChrisW

Stating the obvious
I totally forgot he was on this team. What do we do with him?

With a 10.5 million dollar cap hit and injury prone, do we think about parting ways?

If I remember correctly, he was rated as one of our best run blockers when he was healthy. I would think he'd fit nicely at guard. With that said, I don't know the particulars on how his height would hinder a QBs vision in that spot and all the other things that go into that position.

With that said, who knows. It's all contingent on if he wants to keep playing. But having him at left guard and Saffold back to right guard would give us a beefy line. That would leave only two question marks - center and depth.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
I think he should retire or move to LG. But he's gone, IMO. Can't pay him any more than 4 million at this rate. Even that seems pushing hit.

Jorgeh0605

You had me at meat tornado.
2023 ROD Fantasy Champion
I think he should retire or move to LG. But he's gone, IMO. Can't pay him any more than 4 million at this rate. Even that seems pushing hit.
I disagree, with our issue at line I think I would try everything, and that includes Long staying and playing RT. When healthy he is definitely better than Barksdale, so why not keep him (reduce him if necessary) and draft an OT to take his place either this (if he gets hurt) or next. I think that beats signing a random FA or even keeping Barksdale.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I disagree, with our issue at line I think I would try everything, and that includes Long staying and playing RT. When healthy he is definitely better than Barksdale, so why not keep him (reduce him if necessary) and draft an OT to take his place either this (if he gets hurt) or next. I think that beats signing a random FA or even keeping Barksdale.

I honestly don't think Jake Long will be back but if he does come back next season I am guessing it will be at a reduced cost/salary.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Think what I read was he'll be a June cut due to saving the most casheesh.

If he's a post June 1st cut, he stays on our books until then. No reason to do that considering it won't save that much cash this year and just pushes the cash into the future.

Cut him at the start of the off-season imo.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook

IDK, Barks is a different player with Scaffold next to him.

Jorgeh0605

I honestly don't think Jake Long will be back but if he does come back next season I am guessing it will be at a reduced cost/salary.
But changing his salary would probably turn some of his salary into signing bonus and that means more dead money if we cut him later on. Keeping him at his current salary means almost no dead money if we cut him next year. I say we just try and stick out this year of his contract honestly.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
But changing his salary would probably turn some of his salary into signing bonus and that means more dead money if we cut him later on. Keeping him at his current salary means almost no dead money if we cut him next year. I say we just try and stick out this year of his contract honestly.

".....Try to Stick out this year of his contract.....?" Are you suggesting the Rams keep a very UNhealthy Jake Long, playing him in a new OL post, thus paying him 10.5 million this upcoming season to play ORT ? Thus letting the Rams most solid healthy OL depart?

I am open to keeping Jake Long on the pay roll ONLY if his contract is redone with insurance lingo that protects the team in the cap hit $$$ if Long can not earn a starting position @ OLG or ORT or if he continues as he has for the last two seasons get injured.

If you do go with a Jake Long with the ideal that he will be a starter @ ORT or OLG you will have to purchase a lot of insurance (reserve/back up ORT's i.e. Barksdale or a Person) & that's going to cause further cap hits in 2015. So keeping Long costs $$$$ even more.

I do not see Long being anything other than a short term fix meaning this 2015 season period. The Rams have been doing that now for 3 seasons under Fisher & has caused the OL to be the weakest Ram unit on the team . Here's some examples of short term fixes.... Robert Turner, Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson, Shelley Smith, Chris Williams & Davin Joseph.

Rams could use him if he was part of several other OL'ers in contention for vacant/open OL posts. But I would never consider him plan A or even plan B to fix an open OL post. The biggy is that 10.5 mil cap hit in 2015 if things stay as is. If released its an instant 8.5 million in the Rams wallet.

Rams would sure need some of that 8.5 million to purchase a valid Plan A & valid plan B to fill an open OL starting post. Rams paid Jake 9.25 million to finish 6 games at starting OLT post.

Last edited:

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I don't want Carpenter for that OG spot, either. I thought I did, but I don't. The more I looked into him, the less I like him. Word out of Seattle is that they are willing to let him go specifically because Carpenter can't pass block worth a damn and he's a huge reason Wilson has to use his legs so much. So, THEY are trying to upgrade at that position which is why he's likely not going to be back. At any price.

As for Jake Long... well, I just don't trust Bradford or any QB we have to him. He clearly came back to early and with the Rams transitioning to a more passing oriented offense, we need guys who can pass block, even as we seek to improve our run game. We NEED our QB to be squeaky clean. Jake Long isn't going to provide that and we just can't have an expensive "Fisher" guy getting shuffled along the line. I really hope he decides to either hang it up or take a one year prove it deal somewhere else because we really don't need to be experimenting with him on the interior. Not saying it couldn't work, but with all the rolling up and whatnot that happens to interior guys, he's one fallen lineman away from leaving us in the lurch...again.

Jorgeh0605

".....Try to Stick out this year of his contract.....?" Are you suggesting the Rams keep a very UNhealthy Jake Long, playing him in a new OL post, thus paying him 10.5 million this upcoming season to play ORT ? Thus letting the Rams most solid healthy OL depart?

I am open to keeping Jake Long on the pay roll ONLY if his contract is redone with insurance lingo that protects the team if Long can not earn a starting position @ OLG or ORT or if he continues as he has for the last two seasons get injured.

If you do go with a Jake Long with the ideal that he will be a starter @ ORT or OLG you will have to purchase a lot of insurance (reserve/back up ORT's i.e. Barksdale or a Person) & that's going to cause further cap hits in 2015. So keeping Long costs $$$$ even more.

I do not see Long being anything other than a short term fix meaning this 2015 season period. The Rams have been doing that now for 3 seasons under Fisher & has caused the OL to be the weakest Ram unit on the team . Here's some examples of short term fixes.... Robert Turner, Wayne Hunter, Barry Richardson, Shelley Smith, Chris Williams & Davin Joseph.

Rams could use him if he was part of several other OL'ers in contention for vacant/open OL posts. But I would never consider him plan A or even plan B to fix an open OL post. The biggy is that 10.5 mil cap hit in 2015 if things stay as is. If released its an instant 8.5 million in the Rams wallet.

Rams would sure need some of that 8.5 million to purchase a valid Plan A & valid plan B to fill an open OL starting post. Rams paid Jake 9.25 million to finish 6 games at starting OLT post.

Well we can't release an UNhealthy Jake Long without an injury settlement anyways until he is healthy. So once healthy, yes I suggest considering keeping him at his current 10.5 million dollar salary only because re-working his contract would probably include changing some of his salary to signing bonus which would keep him in our books longer. Put simply, we only are on the hook for about 1.5 million$ if we cut him next year, this year it is 2.5 mil plus whatever he gets from the injury settlement which could cost $$$ just to get rid of him.

I am suggesting keeping him as a Plan B, and drafting his replacement this year. If the replacement beats him out of the job, release him, if not let him start the rest of the season and have said rookie (similar to G rob) ready to fill in for him. Release him next year or extend him if he does probowl level work and stays healthy

Yes this would be a short term fix with a long term solution starting to brew in whoever you draft but Jake Long when healthy is better than all of those stop gaps you listed. I believe when healthy he is leaps and bounds better than Barksdale. And I believe gambling one year on Long is better than gambling and overpaying Barksdale for the next 4/5 years. Honestly, if Wells and Langford are released as expected we don't need that 10.5mil that bad. Especially if the cap increases by 10 mil as expected.

Also, the FO should obviously try to reduce his contract first, but I see no incentive for Long to sign a new contract, especially one as shitty as the one you guys are describing. Long has leverage in that situation since he is technically injured and would require an injury settlement just to be released. Idk, just something to consider, since I really don't like the idea of depending on Barksdale.

NERamsFan

Pro Bowler
I'm in agreement with many here, if I were him I'd consider retirement. In fact, just following him on social media it looks like he and his wife just introduced a baby into the world. With respect to him and his wife, I'd really consider saving up all that money and focusing on their new child.

Jorgeh0605

I'm in agreement with many here, if I were him I'd consider retirement. In fact, just following him on social media it looks like he and his wife just introduced a baby into the world. With respect to him and his wife, I'd really consider saving up all that money and focusing on their new child.

Probably best case scenario for him and us is for him to retire. I would if that was my situation.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Well we can't release an UNhealthy Jake Long without an injury settlement anyways until he is healthy. So once healthy, yes I suggest considering keeping him at his current 10.5 million dollar salary only because re-working his contract would probably include changing some of his salary to signing bonus which would keep him in our books longer. Put simply, we only are on the hook for about 1.5 million$ if we cut him next year, this year it is 2.5 mil plus whatever he gets from the injury settlement which could cost $$$ just to get rid of him.

I am suggesting keeping him as a Plan B, and drafting his replacement this year. If the replacement beats him out of the job, release him, if not let him start the rest of the season and have said rookie (similar to G rob) ready to fill in for him. Release him next year or extend him if he does probowl level work and stays healthy

Yes this would be a short term fix with a long term solution starting to brew in whoever you draft but Jake Long when healthy is better than all of those stop gaps you listed. I believe when healthy he is leaps and bounds better than Barksdale. And I believe gambling one year on Long is better than gambling and overpaying Barksdale for the next 4/5 years. Honestly, if Wells and Langford are released as expected we don't need that 10.5mil that bad. Especially if the cap increases by 10 mil as expected.

Also, the FO should obviously try to reduce his contract first, but I see no incentive for Long to sign a new contract, especially one as crappy as the one you guys are describing. Long has leverage in that situation since he is technically injured and would require an injury settlement just to be released. Idk, just something to consider, since I really don't like the idea of depending on Barksdale.

You are certainly just about by yourself in the thought of keeping Jake. I still lean towards moving away from aged worn out injured OL'ers. And keeping Jake is all of those. But with the very serious upcoming 2016 Ram UFA's crashing in on us..... seven starters, three #1 picks & three #2 picks. A total of 17 Rams will enter free agency!

As far as Barksdale I agree with much of what you said. I not going to pay what most members advocate to pay for him. I tend to think that I would prefer to go with a few drafted rookies, a Barrett Jones & a Mike Person & save the cap $$$ for 2016.

When you start trying to sign a few of those Ram UFA's your cap funds are running on empty real quick. So going out this 2015 UFA season to purchase players of starting capabilities will effect the Rams ability to sign many of those starters who are well known commodities and stars. That's why when I see members desiring a OLG Mike Iupati or ORT Bryan Bulaga or OC Stefen Wisniewski it will come at a great cost of a Michael Brockers, Brian Quick, Janoris Jenkins or Greg Zuerlein & on an on.

I rather spend some of that 10.5 million of the short term fix Jake Long & use it towards a NT Michael Brockers or a Bryan Quick to insure they are Rams long term.

Last edited:

Jorgeh0605

You are certainly just about by yourself in the thought of keeping Jake. I still lean towards moving away from aged worn out injured OL'ers. And keeping Jake is all of those. But with the very serious upcoming 2016 Ram UFA's crashing in on us..... seven starters, three #1 picks & three #2 picks. A total of 17 Rams will enter free agency!

As far as Barksdale I agree with much of what you said. I not going to pay what most members advocate to pay for him. I tend to think that I would prefer to go with a few drafted rookies, a Barrett Jones & a Mike Person & save the cap $$$ for 2016.

When you start trying to sign a few of those Ram UFA's your cap funds are running on empty real quick. So going out this 2015 UFA season to purchase players of starting capabilities will effect the Rams ability to sign many of those starters who are well known commodities and stars. That's why when I see members desiring a OLG Mike Iupati or ORT Bryan Bulaga or OC Stefen Wisniewski it will come at a great cost of a Michael Brockers, Brian Quick, Janoris Jenkins or Greg Zuerlein & on an on.

I rather spend some of that 10.5 million of the short term fix Jake Long & use it towards a NT Michael Brockers or a Bryan Quick to insure they are Rams long term.

The 2016 UFA's is exactly the reason I do not want to get stuck on Barksdale. Jake Long comes with the ability to essentially cut ties at almost no loss next year, whereas Barksdale will waste possibly more than that 10.5mil with a contract offer or rather

None of us know all of the numbers, but I think both of us are of the same thought process that the money is better used for 2016. And if you are suggesting rolling into the 2015 season without Barksdale, Long, or a good FA and depending on a draft pick for that RT spot you may not have as many people on your side either.

I'm not a scout, but if the Rams feel like they can get a starting RT I think releasing Long might be best now. But I bet he stays on the roster at least until camp so they can release him once he is healthy and avoid the injury settlement. So that 10.5 mil isn't helping get FA's at all.

I can admit your plan sounds a bit better than mine in all honesty, I'm just not comfortable depending on a rookie RT or signing the next 4/5 years away to another high priced vet. I think Jake Long is the best insurance.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
The 2016 UFA's is exactly the reason I do not want to get stuck on Barksdale. Jake Long comes with the ability to essentially cut ties at almost no loss next year, whereas Barksdale will waste possibly more than that 10.5mil with a contract offer or rather

None of us know all of the numbers, but I think both of us are of the same thought process that the money is better used for 2016. And if you are suggesting rolling into the 2015 season without Barksdale, Long, or a good FA and depending on a draft pick for that RT spot you may not have as many people on your side either.

I'm not a scout, but if the Rams feel like they can get a starting RT I think releasing Long might be best now. But I bet he stays on the roster at least until camp so they can release him once he is healthy and avoid the injury settlement. So that 10.5 mil isn't helping get FA's at all.

I can admit your plan sounds a bit better than mine in all honesty, I'm just not comfortable depending on a rookie RT or signing the next 4/5 years away to another high priced vet. I think Jake Long is the best insurance.

On the rookie starting ORT.... Seattle rode a 2nd rounder all the way to trough the playoffs without any issues but then again they have a Russell Wilson. The Colts rode ORT Jack Mewhort into the playoffs but once again with a mobile QB Luck,so it can be done. In March I would say its a good chance that the UFA's OL'ers will run off & get inflated real fast. Going the route of signing an average starting ORT Barksdale to one of those long 4 yr deals is going to damage & weaken the Cap in 2015 & 2016. And you still have a average ORT when it all done & said with holes in his game.

The Rams have been scared to death of rookie OL'ers since 2012. Rams will need to draft a few OT's no matter what happens. Rams are lucky in one area ....this draft has a good number of very good OT's stocked in it in the early rounds & the Rams could get the pick of the best OT's if they want # 10. A rookie like Clemmings would be an upgrade over an inflated priced Barksdale in many ways.

However with the way the cards have fallen with the Rams ....& with the 2016 UFA's starring you in the face :eek: & a surprising fully healthy Physical Jake Long might be the best route of many very bad routes but I hope it does not come to that. Now that I have burnt my one working brain cell on the "injury settlement " thing ...I think you may be closer to what the Rams will do than the rest of us. Long fully healthy will be an big upgrade over Barksdale @ ORT.

In 2014 It took Jake 8 months to go from ACL tear to back into the line up. Jake tore that same ACL 10 months later. The start of 2015 Training Camp would be 9 months of time. Go through TC & pre season & see how Jake's knee & new position is going before making that final decision thus taking the Jake's saved 8.5 million out of the 2015 UFC'cy. Now that has not been posted about at all in this forum.

The fixing of the bad Ram OL is in its early stages by Snead & Fisher. Rams issues @ ORT are more problematic than the interior woes IMO. Rams can easy have four non rookies signed OL'ers under contract (Rhaney,Jones, Barnes[RFA] & Person[UFA]) to fight over that starting OC post. They know these 4 well. Several of them could fight it out for any the the open OG posts along with Travis Bond & Saffold. There is enough experience here to go heavy in this draft in the OL thus you keep the cap from becoming a major issue. The real issue is @ OT.

Last edited:

Noregar

Starter
Name
Roger
First and foremost Jake has to determine if he still wants to play in the NFL and that question has yet to be answered.
If the answer turns out to be no, then all other discussion is moot but I think Jake Long will want to continue playing.

Jake Long when fully healthy is a top 10 tackle but after two ACL's and being close to 30 I doubt he will never be "fully healthy". I do not think bringing him onboard was a bad free agent move. No one can predict injures and those that cite injures to pin blame on the FO for free agent failures are wrong IMO. Long played well enough when healthy to prove he was not a bad FA move. His injuries were just a very unfortunate occurrence that negatively affected both the team and the player.

To me cutting Long and Wells seems like a foregone conclusion at this point but especially when you factor in the limited dead money the Rams would incur compared with amount of cap space it would give the Rams. Bonifay brings up a good point about the large list of young Rams that will be eligible for free agency in 2016. I think we may see the Rams try to renegotiate/extend some of guys from the 2012 rookie class much like they did with Heckker and exercise the fifth year option for Brockers. To do that they will also need extra cap space as well and the savings from cutting Long (and Wells) can help with that.