Jake Long Undergoes Knee Surgery

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RFIP

Jake Long undergoes knee surgery

• By Jim Thomas

[www.stltoday.com]

MOBILE, ALA. • Quarterback Sam Bradford will soon have some company in the trainer’s room at Rams Park. Offensive tackle Jake Long underwent surgery recently to repair a knee injury he suffered in the Rams’ second-to-last game of the regular season — the team’s 23-13 home victory over Tampa Bay on Dec. 22.

On the Rams’ third offensive play of that game, Long’s right knee buckled while pass-blocking and tests later revealed that Long had a torn anterior cruciate ligament (ACL) as well as a torn medial collateral ligament (MCL).

MCL injuries heal on their own and don’t require surgery, but that meant surgery on Long’s ACL was delayed until the MCL healed. At the time of the injury, coach Jeff Fisher estimated that it could be four to six weeks before surgery because of the MCL injury. It turned out to be on the quicker end of that timetable — about four weeks — which should help Long’s efforts to be ready in time for the start of the regular season.

Bradford has been doing regular rehab work following his Nov. 18 surgery to repair a torn ACL, and has recently begun running on a treadmill.

Another Rams offensive line veteran, guard Harvey Dahl, is scheduled to undergo ankle surgery in the next few days, according to a source close to Dahl. It doesn’t appear to be anything serious — just a cleanup procedure.

NEXT IN LINE

Virginia isn’t what you’d call a football power, but the Cavaliers have sent a steady stream of offensive tackles into the NFL in recent years — from D’Brickashaw Ferguson to Eugene Monroe, Branden Albert, and Oday Aboushi.

Now comes Morgan Moses, one of the best tackle prospects at the Reese’s Senior Bowl. At 6-6, 325, Moses has prototypical tackle size. He was a little rusty Monday, in part because Virginia’s season ended in late November.

“Just getting the feet wet the first day,” he said. “I knew that was gonna happen.”

But he has raised his intensity level and has gotten better every day. Moses played left tackle this past season as a senior and played right tackle his other three seasons at Virginia. He has played both positions this week in Mobile.

While at Virginia, Moses spent a lot of time watching film of those past Cavaliers tackles, and has texted them frequently for advice now that the pre-draft process is under way.

Moses has met with the Rams during Senior Bowl week, and would run into some familiar faces at Rams Park should he end up in St. Louis.

“We’ve got a couple of guys out there in St. Louis from Virginia that are playing, like Chris Long, Rodney McLeod, Matt Conrath. So I’m keeping in touch with those guys as well.”

Long was a Ram by the time Moses arrived in Charlottesville but Moses was a teammate with McLeod and Conrath for part of his time at Virginia.

SENIOR BITS

• Picking up where he left off in the BCS championship game, Auburn DE Dee Ford has been a terror as a pass-rusher this week in practice. “His first step is amazing,” said Moses, the Virginia offensive tackle.

• Wednesday was the final day in pads for the Senior Bowl participants. Once the pads are off, many coaches and scouts from NFL teams take off, heading back to their respective cities.

• Vanderbilt’s Jordan Matthews could be the best of the bunch in what otherwise is a so-so group of wide receivers. Matthews has been working after practice for a few minutes every day, catching passes from his South squad teammate, quarterback Derek Carr of Fresno State.

• There are some huge cornerbacks here this week, including Utah’s Keith McGill (6-3, 214) and Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-2, 215).

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Good news. And I like OLinemen from UVA. Moses being one of them. Sounds like a Fisher kind of guy being he might be available in the middle rounds.

RFIP

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
Good news. And I like OLinemen from UVA. Moses being one of them. Sounds like a Fisher kind of guy being he might be available in the middle rounds.

yes and I would like to see Fisher go this route (bigger) for cb as well.

• There are some huge cornerbacks here this week, including Utah’s Keith McGill (6-3, 214) and Nebraska’s Stanley Jean-Baptiste (6-2, 215).

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Good article.

Unfortunately for us, the way good OT seem to get gobbled up early nowadays a guy like Moses may be gone in round 1 if he continues to impress.

I'd also like to see McGill in horns. Playing in Utah has him a bit under the radar, but I think he's going to be pretty good.

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
The prevailing opinion is that last years draft was especially weak at the top. Neil Hornsby from PFF said they didn't have one player drafted in the top 7 with a positive rating all year long. This years draft is expected to be much stronger.

He may not feel it, but the pressure is on Snead to find great players in this first round. When you've got 2 darts and you are aiming at a board that has great players on it, and your team needs to close the gap on the division, and you are in your 3rd year, you've gotta hit the target if you want to keep your job.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
He may not feel it, but the pressure is on Snead to find great players in this first round. When you've got 2 darts and you are aiming at a board that has great players on it, and your team needs to close the gap on the division, and you are in your 3rd year, you've gotta hit the target if you want to keep your job.

Interesting theory but I think these guys live for this stuff and there is always pressure to get the board right leading up to the draft. What happens in the draft and afterward with production, injuries and progression is something I feel is more on the coaching staff and players. The GM might not even get any of his highly ranked players.

The other part is how well did the scouts get the talent valuation done. I think these first two drafts have shown Snead's team is light years ahead of what we have seen over the last decade.

A fun time of year for die hard fans

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
Interesting theory but I think these guys live for this stuff and there is always pressure to get the board right leading up to the draft. What happens in the draft and afterward with production, injuries and progression is something I feel is more on the coaching staff and players. The GM might not even get any of his highly ranked players.

The other part is how well did the scouts get the talent valuation done. I think these first two drafts have shown Snead's team is light years ahead of what we have seen over the last decade.

A fun time of year for die hard fans

Granted, Snead did just fine in his first 2 drafts, excluding the Quick and Pead picks. But it is still imperative for him to find the great players in this draft. History has shown that GMs who have top picks and blow them are soon gone.

F. Mulder

Starter
Granted, Snead did just fine in his first 2 drafts, excluding the Quick and Pead picks. But it is still imperative for him to find the great players in this draft. History has shown that GMs who have top picks and blow them are soon gone.

I agree Max. On the surface it looks like Snead and Co have drafted several solid to potentially above average players. Not all are going to work out but that happens with every draft and every team. What I think needs to happen is for some of these guys from the last 2 year draft class to become difference makers (ala Quinn) as well as Snead to hit on someone (or even a couple) of special players in this upcoming draft. The overall talent of this team is much higher due to the last 2 drafts but it still comes down to guys rising above being solid/good NFL players and becoming special. With all the premium picks Snead has to work with he needs a few players to be "special".

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I agree Max. On the surface it looks like Snead and Co have drafted several solid to potentially above average players. Not all are going to work out but that happens with every draft and every team. What I think needs to happen is for some of these guys from the last 2 year draft class to become difference makers (ala Quinn) as well as Snead to hit on someone (or even a couple) of special players in this upcoming draft. The overall talent of this team is much higher due to the last 2 drafts but it still comes down to guys rising above being solid/good NFL players and becoming special. With all the premium picks Snead has to work with he needs a few players to be "special".

I like the way you put that FM. Snead needs to find "special" players in this draft. They are gonna be there. He can't miss out.