Jake Long injures knee, Rams already fearing it could be a torn ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

mr.stlouis

Legend
Name
Main Hook
Well we're taking a tackle... dam.

Trade down a spot o two and take Matthews...

Alan

Legend
The kick against Matthews is his lack of athleticism. I don't see that working out well for him in the NFL. Sounds like a guard in the making to me.

As for Barnes, as long as he holds his own I think Wells is gone. We'd have Jones to fall back on.

Last edited by a moderator:

RamBall

Legend
Camp Reporter
Name
Dave
As has been stated, this makes resigning Saffold more important. He can play 4 of the 5 OL positions and be the best lineman the Rams have, I hope Fisher is able to sell him on coming back and being a part of the turn around that is coming.

Worst case scenario franchise tag Saffold, draft a OG in the 2nd or 3rd, it gives us cover in case Long isn't ready and means we can do what we want in the first round.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

locking up saffold is a no brainer. the rams aren't gonna let him go.

jap

Legend
Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice, Beetlejuice!!!! That should lock him up for us. :lol:

BadCompany

Rookie
So not being a cap/contract expert like the rest of you, what would it realistically take to get Saffold to come back? I know he doesn't have Long's pedigree, but do you think he would be looking for that type of contract, to soothe his "I'm a LT'er!" feelings, to get him to give up his shot at free agency, and to convince him that we love him, we really love him? I'm guessing that would be an overpayment, but do you think that is what it will take to get him to come back to us?

jap

Legend
So not being a cap/contract expert like the rest of you, what would it realistically take to get Saffold to come back? I know he doesn't have Long's pedigree, but do you think he would be looking for that type of contract, to soothe his "I'm a LT'er!" feelings, to get him to give up his shot at free agency, and to convince him that we love him, we really love him? I'm guessing that would be an overpayment, but do you think that is what it will take to get him to come back to us?

I don't know if Rodger is that hooked up on being a LT as much as he wants what every player wants---to be paid, to be shown the quan or the money. He is seeking a big payday that can set himself and family up for life. Can we really blame him? We are talking about a versatile OL guy with high level skills, and a great model for Barrett Jones, our super versatile rookie. I don't know if we can really afford to let him walk away at this point. Marque talent at any position is never a given. We simply have to lock our own Beetlejuice up completely.

Alan

Legend
http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=G
Top 5 guard salaries:
Carl Nicks $9.5 Mill APY
Logan Mankins $8.5 Mill APY
Jahri Evans $8.1 Mill APY
Andy Levitre $7.8 Mill APY
Davin Joseph $7.5 Mill APY

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=LT
Top 5 left tackle salaries:
Jason Peters $12.86 Mill APY
Joe Thomas $11.5 Mill APY
Ryan Clady $10.5 Mill APY
Trent Williams $10.0 Mill APY
D'Brickashaw Ferguson $10.0 Mill APY

http://overthecap.com/top-player-salaries.php?Position=RT
Top 5 right tackle salaries:
Gosder Cherilus $7.0 Mill APY
Anthony Davis $6.64 Mill APY
Phil Loadholt $6.25 Mill APY
David Stewart $6.15 Mill APY
Andre Smith $6.0 Mill APY

Who knows which position other teams will want to use him at.

Last edited by a moderator:

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Rams could be looking at two main offensive players coming back from ACL surgeries..OLT & a pocket passer. The price for keeping Saffold is seriously high.... meaning we could have just one healthy fully healed ORT on our roster...shoot we can pick up any ole OL'er any time in the draft just look at Rok Watkins we don't need know stinking OL'er just draft some more WR's to help Sam out again sure worked out the offense the last two years lets keep it up!

MerlinJones

Pro Bowler
Do you really want the Rams to tie-up $10-12 million a year in a player that's chronically injured?
That's probably what a tackle needy team is going to offer Saffold.
I'd like for him to stay a Ram, but not at that price.

The Rams could draft Matthews (or Erving, Lewan, Kouandjio, etc..) with a first round pick and still get a talented guard in round 2-3 and shore up the line.

The money saved by not overpaying Saffold could go to a FA safety like Jarius Byrd or receiver like Eric Decker.

fearsomefour

Legend
Because of his injury history I would think $6-7 M is what we are looking at. He has had a lot of small injuries, no huge serious injuries. I dont see a way the Rams can keep him, add a guy like Byrd, sign their own FAs and draft picks without freeing up money by redoing deals. Something they seem hesitant to do. Drafting a T like Matthews and resigning Barksdale NOW, before he is a FA may make more sense.

LosAngelesRams

Hall of Fame
Another question will be where does Jones fit into their plans? Is he going to be a starter next year or not? Where is he going to play, can he be a T?

I'm pretty sure he was drafted to take over for Wells eventually, I wouldn't be surprised if he fills in G here and there if Wells is still with us and healthy though.

V3

Hall of Fame
On the radio they were saying something about a clause in Long's contract that if he's placed on IR before the end of the 2013 season, Long's guaranteed money for 2014 is cut in half (saves like $4mill). I'm not sure if that only goes into effect if they cut him or what, I was busy at the time so was in and out on the conversation on the radio. That's something to find out exactly what's going on there. That could help with the cap.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Yeah,idk why we wouldn't place J.Long on IR if it saves us $ in 2014.

My biggest fear is if we re-sign/tag Saffold to big dollars that he gets hurt again, AND J.Long doesn't return to form quickly enough or gets hurt again. Shitcreek.

I have more confidence in OLine coach Wauffle,Snead and our scouts to plug holes left by Saffold and a questionable return by J.Long.
Barnes,Barksdale and even Smith have been basically plugged in at different times and have performed well.

I'd rather draft with the contingency that we're going to need a full time Tackle and Guard in 2014...and let Saffold walk(unless he decides he wants to stay here ala William Hayes and take a smaller payday).