Jake Long injures knee, Rams already fearing it could be a torn ACL

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
http://nfl.si.com/2013/12/22/jake-long-injury-st-louis-rams/?section=si_latest

Teams eliminated from the playoff chase mostly just want to navigate this portion of the season without any major injuries. The Rams may have lost that battle Sunday, with starting left tackle Jake Long needing to be carted off with a potentially serious knee injury.
Rams coach Jeff Fisher told FOX’s Pam Oliver that the “fear” is that Long damaged his ACL.
If that’s the case, Long’s status for the start of the 2014 season could be in jeopardy — no small bit of news for a rebuilding team like the Rams, who gave Long a four-year, $34 million contract last offseason.
Offensive tackle figured to be on the Rams’ shortlist heading into the upcoming draft, where they hold Washington’s first-round selection (No. 2 overall headed into Week 16). It may be the top priority if Long winds up facing several months of rehab.
The injury itself was of the dreaded non-contact variety. As Long planted while dropping into pass protection, his leg appeared to buckle

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Damn.

Well, hopefully being a lineman, it's something he can heal well enough to be on the field early 2014.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
That's gonna suck.
101fm is confirming it a ACL.
For a big guy it's harder to come back from it. It could really affect his footwork and his base.
There is no guarantee he will be ready at start of season or even later on.

Some guys come back fast but compare that to the list that took over a year and add to that the list that never came back and played at a high level.
See which is the bigger list.

That one play changed the Rams whole draft and free agency approach.

JoeBo21

Hall of Fame
That's gonna suck.
101fm is confirming it a ACL.
For a big guy it's harder to come back from it. It could really affect his footwork and his base.
There is no guarantee he will be ready at start of season or even later on.

Some guys come back fast but compare that to the list that took over a year and add to that the list that never came back and played at a high level.
See which is the bigger list.

That one play changed the Rams whole draft and free agency approach.

really sucks. if that forces us to take Matthews and Clowney goes on to be Strahan or Peppers 2.0 I'm convinced this organization is cursed.

I think Snead will prolly try to trade down anyway though

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Rams need to prepare as though he won't be in the plans. Does that mean they look to OT early in the draft now? Possibly, I still have my doubts though.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Just resign Saffold.

Keep the options at T open come draft time.

V3

Hall of Fame
Agree with CGI. I've been coming around to resigning Saffold even though he's a bit injury prone. His play at OG has been slowly turning me but the loss of Long cements it for me. Saffold can play LT until Long is ready and it allows you to play the draft instead of being forced into taking Matthews.

Also, I think we can now call Jake Long injury prone.

Alan

Legend
I don't see this affecting any trade down because I see no locks at OT in this draft. Any of 5 or 6 guy would be OK with me. It does put a much higher priority on extending Saffold though.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
Yeah, I think it changes the draft in that an OT must be taken relatively early. It doesn't have to be Matthews with our first pick but one of those top half dozen like already stated.

A55VA6

Legend
Makes Saffold even more important.. doubt we can keep him unless he really wants to stay.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Those Mathews bloodlines are about as good as possible. I wouldn't mind him, at all. Very very safe pick!

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I don't see this affecting any trade down because I see no locks at OT in this draft. Any of 5 or 6 guy would be OK with me. It does put a much higher priority on extending Saffold though.

To me it makes a trade down more likely since another hole has to be filled.
Right now under a normal recovery time line Barksdale might be starting LT game 1 if Saffold walks.
RT game 1 ????

theramsruleUK

Pro Bowler
its a real shame.. but i guess the positive is that we will prob re sign saffold... and he is one of the big reasons we are bossing the running game at the moment...

Alan

Legend
Yamahopper thinking we were already set at OT:
To me it makes a trade down more likely since another hole has to be filled.
Right now under a normal recovery time line Barksdale might be starting LT game 1 if Saffold walks.
RT game 1 ????

The problem of who would start at RT would be the same if JL or Barksdale suffered an injury next year. That's why many of us don't look at this as a new hole. I think it merely highlights the old one.

moklerman

Warner-phile
You don't have to spend a high pick to get good lineman and with Boudreau coaching, I'm even more confident that this shouldn't change the Rams' draft strategy at all. They've taken this group which is basically a MASH unit and still gotten production from them. Picking someone up in the 2nd round or later was probably their plan anyway but if that #2 pick is going to garner a Redskins-like return, I don't think they pass that up for Matthews.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Makes Saffold even more important.. doubt we can keep him unless he really wants to stay.
We can offer just as much as anyone else if we make him a top priority - I think he just becme that

jap

Legend
Just resign Saffold.

Keep the options at T open come draft time.

I wouldn't be surprised if Rodger has been grading out as our best OL guy this season. Get him signed. Why let a solid OT and a potential Pro Bowl G walk out the door?

Last edited by a moderator:

fearsomefour

Legend
Those Mathews bloodlines are about as good as possible. I wouldn't mind him, at all. Very very safe pick!
Really depends on if the Rams can resign Saffold. If they are able to Matthews still makes a lot of sense. Saffold/Barksdale at LT/RT until Long is ready to return. Matthews as the swing and the eventual replacement at RT.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Another question will be where does Jones fit into their plans? Is he going to be a starter next year or not? Where is he going to play, can he be a T?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
It seems to me that Barnes has played well enough filling in...any of you gurus have any insight?