Jake Ellenbogen's All-Time Rams Roster: Tight ends

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Jake Ellenbogen's All-Time Rams Roster: Tight ends

227364_0972df0f7d68437dab9d06cf7075bfa6~mv2.webp

In this renewed series Jake gives you a complete all-time Rams roster going through each position. It's now time for the tight end position, there will be one starter, two backups and an honorable mention.

Starter: Billy Truax

227364_355145b962f04b2db04f458930bdc55f~mv2.webp

(40 games started, 180 receptions, 2,177 receiving yards, 12.1 yards per reception, 16 touchdowns)

This Ram fell victim to being in the wrong era. Do you ever hear someone say "it's too bad they were just in the wrong era"? Truax fits that bill. Truax was a big-bodied freak at 6-foot-5, 240 pounds, he was the perfect field stretching tight end for today's NFL, but not the 1960's NFL which used tight ends predominantly as blockers.

Truax suffered an injury on the first day of training camp with the Cleveland Browns and that was all she wrote for Truax in Cleveland. They ended up shipping him off to Los Angeles even before he ever played a down. Again, it's a shame Truax was in the wrong era because if he was used the right amount his career would look more impressive.

Backup: Lance Kendricks

227364_7a6eb2b4625a4de9b1cad59f60e52eae~mv2.webp

(79 games started, 204 receptions, 2,132 receiving yards, 10.5 yards per reception, 17 touchdowns)

Some people may serious disagree, but it's important to realize that Kendricks has been the most consistent starting tight end in the team's history. He had his kinks and may have dropped a touchdown or two that caused you to throw out some not-so-nice curse words or even a remote control throw at your television. However, Kendricks was solid, he worked hard and he ended up having a decent career with the Rams.

The new regime liked him, but it appeared as though they fell in love with this monster tight end draft class and felt like they couldn't pass one up. Kendricks was a let-down as far as a second-round pick, but all titles aside he was pretty solid for the Rams. Like Truax, he was a little underutilized and is now on a potential Super Bowl team to repeat what Truax did with the Cowboys.

Backup: Pete Holohan

227364_f861a9e4bfc742dd9463e4cd03e48689~mv2.webp

(22 games started, 159 receptions, 1,625 receiving yards, 10.2 yards per reception, seven touchdowns)

The longevity wasn't exactly there with Pete Holohan which hurts him on this list, but he is probably the most talented tight end to don Ram horns. If you aren't counting Tom Fears as a tight end (which I'm not) then it's between Holohan and Truax. Holohan only played three seasons with the Rams, but nearly had the same production in Los Angeles as he did in his seven years in San Diego.

Honorable Mention

Ernie Conwell

227364_fa75371982d846a5b8f072a473c6aaed~mv2.webp

Alas, our honorable mention goes to Ernie Conwell who many of us love dearly as a member and a key cog of the Greatest Show on Turf. He wasn't used as much as the guys above in the receiving game, but he was willing blocker and a leader for the Rams. He has since fallen down my list after Kendricks solid season.

Conwell won a Super Bowl and perhaps if those injuries didn't hover him, he would have finished second or even first on this list.

What are your thoughts Rams fans? Three tight ends on the Rams right now could all have a chance of making this list sooner than later.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lance Kendricks? Seriously?
The only thing consistent about Kendricks was consistently underperforming.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
If you were old enough to have seen Tom Fears and Bob Klein, you would have them at #1 and #2.

Klein vs Truex may be debatable, but as far as #1, Fears was by far the best Rams TE.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
If you were old enough to have seen Tom Fears and Bob Klein, you would have them at #1 and #2.
I was just going to bring up Bob Klein and you beat me to it!!(y)(y):D
While I do agree with @jakebogen95 #1 is Billy Truax that's were we part company!!
My list would only give Pete Holohan the Honorable mention spot! I would only leave Tom Fears out because I consider him a WR!
I would say the top 3 TE's of All Time are:
#1 - Truax
#2 - Bob Klein
#3 - Marlin McKeever
And IF someone wants to consider Jack Snow a TE or Red Phillips I would have to Change my list and give you a Top 5!!:D
BUT No where on this list would I put Kendricks!!(n)

nighttrain

Legend
I was just going to bring up Bob Klein and you beat me to it!!(y)(y):D
While I do agree with @jakebogen95 #1 is Billy Truax that's were we part company!!
My list would only give Pete Holohan the Honorable mention spot! I would only leave Tom Fears out because I consider him a WR!
I would say the top 3 TE's of All Time are:
#1 - Truax
#2 - Bob Klein
#3 - Marlin McKeever
And IF someone wants to consider Jack Snow a TE or Red Phillips I would have to Change my list and give you a Top 5!!:D
BUT No where on this list would I put Kendricks!!(n)
it wasn't Kendrick's fault that the Rams of that era drafted him so high, decent pLayer
train
ps Fears was always listed as receiver
train

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
@jakebogen95 please add the following Tight Ends over Lance Kendricks.

1. Bob Klein.... @bubbaramfan is right on point, Klein great blocker with reliable hands.
  2. David Hill....Made some great catches and the best blocking TE in Ram history.
David Hill never gets enough credit, but many of Dickerson's long runs was right off the ass of Hill.

Ram65

Legend

Klein vs Truex may be debatable, but as far as #1, Fears was by far the best Rams TE.

Tom Fears.png

Some monster years bubba! Funny he would just about be considered a big WR today.
6' 2" 216Lbs. List of Rams TEs.

http://www.fantasyfootballchallenge.com/32-82-4/los-angeles-rams-tight-ends.html

The Rams don't have the history of stars at the TE position. Hopefully, the current group can put up numbers to rmember. Truax more yards than Klein.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
Sorry folks, I stand corrected. I'm old and back in the era Fears played he was listed as "split end" aka TE.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If Fears was really a TE (yes, I know he was listed as a split end), then he would be number one in my book. TE has never been a great position for the Rams outside of blocking. Roland Williams did well for us in '99, and I also liked Ernie Conwell. We never had a Tony Gonzales or Gronk, which I hope Gerald Everett may be able to imitate?

This is probably our weakest position in Ram's history, imo.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter

Hey Bubba Klein and David Hill were the ones I had as honorable mentions. Fears, I had in the article listed as a WR.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
If Fears was really a TE (yes, I know he was listed as a split end), then he would be number one in my book. TE has never been a great position for the Rams outside of blocking. Roland Williams did well for us in '99, and I also liked Ernie Conwell. We never had a Tony Gonzales or Gronk, which I hope Gerald Everett may be able to imitate?

This is probably our weakest position in Ram's history, imo.
Exactly! I put in the article that Fears I had on the All Time Rams WR list.

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
@jakebogen95 please add the following Tight Ends over Lance Kendricks.

1. Bob Klein.... @bubbaramfan is right on point, Klein great blocker with reliable hands.
  2. David Hill....Made some great catches and the best blocking TE in Ram history.
David Hill never gets enough credit, but many of Dickerson's long runs was right off the ass of Hill.
I agree with you. I think Kendricks gets the nod over them though. I may not really be able to back it up with the recent disappointments with this roster, but Kendricks is a talented player. I think I would definitely consider Klein. Hill will get an honorable mention. I don't know I think with the Tight ends since there was no Tony Gonzalez or Kellen Winslow on this franchise you can really have a multitude of different opinions.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I don't know I think with the Tight ends since there was no Tony Gonzalez or Kellen Winslow on this franchise you can really have a multitude of different opinions.

Let's hope Tyler HIgbee & Gerald Everett change the dynamic!

ArkyRamsFan

Pro Bowler
Hey Jake, Did you consider Troy Drayton at all? Where would he fall on your list?

~ArkyRamsFan~

JKBOGEN

JAKE OLIVER ELLENBOGEN
Hey Jake, Did you consider Troy Drayton at all? Where would he fall on your list?

~ArkyRamsFan~
He would be right on the cusp. Had some good years with the Rams but he left. Again, following up with one of my previous comments. I think this is the one position anyone can have anyone on their list.