Jaguars fire ex-Rams OC Greg Olson

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Greg_Olson_(American_football)

He was the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams from 2006-2007. In his first year with the Rams in 2006, he helped guide a high-powered offense that ranked sixth in the NFL in total offense (360.4 yards per game) and a passing offense that ranked third (247.6) in the NFC. Under Olson's direction the Rams became just the fourth team in NFL history to produce a 4,000 yard passer (Marc Bulger), a 1,500 yard rusher (Stephen Jackson) and two 1,000 yard receivers (Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce).

Bulger, Holt and Bruce were all selected to the Pro Bowl. Bulger also posted career-highs in passing yards (4,301), passing touchdowns (24), and passing attempts (588) and completions (370) while ranking second in the NFL in interception percentage (1.4%). Jackson also had a career-year in 2006, leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 2,334, and he led all NFL running backs with 90 receptions and was fifth in the NFL in rushing yards with 1,528.

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2016/10/29/jaguars-fire-offensive-coordinator-greg-olson/

Jaguars fire offensive coordinator Greg Olson
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 29, 2016

gregolson-e1477763786558.jpg
AP

Jaguars head coach Gus Bradley is keeping his job despite the team’s miserable performance, but someone has to be the scapegoat.

That someone will be offensive coordinator Greg Olson, who was fired today, according to multiple reports.

The firing comes less than 24 hours after Bradley claimed there would be no changes to his coaching staff. It’s unclear what changed between Bradley’s comments yesterday and Olson’s firing today, but it’s possible that owner Shad Khan prevailed upon Bradley to make a change.

Olson is in his second season as the Jaguars’ offensive coordinator and has previously been an offensive coordinator of the Raiders, Buccaneers, Rams and Lions.

Today’s news means there have already been three offensive coordinators fired this season, with Olson joining former Bills offensive coordinator Greg Roman and former Ravens offensive coordinator Marc Trestman in the unemployment line.

Ramrasta

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Name
Tyler
They definitely needed a coaching change in Jacksonville. They have tons of talent and somehow still suck.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
He was the offensive coordinator of the St. Louis Rams from 2006-2007. In his first year with the Rams in 2006, he helped guide a high-powered offense that ranked sixth in the NFL in total offense (360.4 yards per game) and a passing offense that ranked third (247.6) in the NFC. Under Olson's direction the Rams became just the fourth team in NFL history to produce a 4,000 yard passer (Marc Bulger), a 1,500 yard rusher (Stephen Jackson) and two 1,000 yard receivers (Torry Holt and Isaac Bruce).

Bulger, Holt and Bruce were all selected to the Pro Bowl. Bulger also posted career-highs in passing yards (4,301), passing touchdowns (24), and passing attempts (588) and completions (370) while ranking second in the NFL in interception percentage (1.4%). Jackson also had a career-year in 2006, leading the NFL in yards from scrimmage with 2,334, and he led all NFL running backs with 90 receptions and was fifth in the NFL in rushing yards with 1,528.
All this^ and, under Olsen, the Rams had only 11 Wins and 21 Losses in his time with the Team!! ( With Scott Lend-me-a-hand as HC)
In 2006 he was 8-8, In 2007 he went 3-13!!:LOL:

RAMNATION

Rookie
lol

When all else fails...
you are so right, this does seem to be the trend, I wonder how long a reprieve does firing the OC, on average, give the Head coach. Well here in Jacksonville the fans are screaming for Bradley's head so I doubt this will be enough.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
you are so right, this does seem to be the trend, I wonder how long a reprieve does firing the OC, on average, give the Head coach. Well here in Jacksonville the fans are screaming for Bradley's head so I doubt this will be enough.
But ... I thought they had their shit together.

Ain't that right, @jrry32?

kirkspock.gif

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
Plenty of quality coaching candidates to choose from should we go sub 500 again.

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
At this point Bortles seems to be regressing rapidly, including the entire offense. Luke Joeckel is at left guard. . Julius Thomas TE , those 2 if not 3 promising receivers; Robinson, Hurns, and a once promising Lee . I digress , would have been a joy to see them win the AFCS .

BatteringRambo

Inked Gym Rat Stoner
Name
J.Fo
Their LT I think is Donald Webb but I could be way off memory. I don't quickly Google search . Maybe it's JaMarcus Webb. Hard to keep track of every team for leisure.

Plus that defense talent. Wow.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
But ... I thought they had their crap together.

Ain't that right, @jrry32?

kirkspock.gif

No. They have talent being hindered by a Steve Spagnuolo level HC. It's a team that could be real good if they get a legitimate staff in the future. Bortles's mechanics have fallen apart. They don't make use of their defensive talent. And many of the talented offensive players have taken a step back.

It's a team that desperately needs to hire the right guy at HC. They're a reminder that Fisher isn't a quality coach, but he isn't a terrible coach either.

Their LT I think is Donald Webb but I could be way off memory. I don't quickly Google search . Maybe it's JaMarcus Webb. Hard to keep track of every team for leisure.

Plus that defense talent. Wow.

Nope. It's Kelvin Beachum at LT.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
No. They have talent being hindered by a Steve Spagnuolo level HC. It's a team that could be real good if they get a legitimate staff in the future. Bortles's mechanics have fallen apart. They don't make use of their defensive talent. And many of the talented offensive players have taken a step back.

It's a team that desperately needs to hire the right guy at HC. They're a reminder that Fisher isn't a quality coach, but he isn't a terrible coach either.

Nope. It's Kelvin Beachum at LT.

Lucky you stuck with the Rams. Steadily average is much better than a dumpster fire.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Lucky you stuck with the Rams. Steadily average is much better than a dumpster fire.

Eh. If the Rams don't make the playoffs, it makes no difference to me. If the Rams give Fisher an extension, it might be worse.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
Eh. If the Rams don't make the playoffs, it makes no difference to me. If the Rams give Fisher an extension, it might be worse.

The Rams...........make the playoffs?............
giphy.gif

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Olson deserved the firing. And it's not going to save the head coach, who is also clearly in over his head.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Greg Olson has had some success, however, he's been fired often too. Never was a huge fan of Olson and at first Linehan called his own plays, then because the team was struggling turn the play calling over to Olson and the Rams went on a nice run until the following season after struggling again Linehan took the play calling back from Olson, people seem to forget that.

Olson has had a checkered career and IMO, would not be my first choice to coordinate an offense albeit far more experience than Rams Offensive Coordinator Rob Boras, who I still feel is a quality assistant coach.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis

Very True, shocked Bradley is like this being that he learned under Pete Carroll, but Bradley will be in high demand as a Defensive Coordinator for other coaching staffs and if the Rams replaced Fisher with Josh McDaniels for example, Bradley would be a good match for McDaniels.

As to the future Head Coaches of the Jaguars, they will look long and hard at McDaniels as they will most likely want an offensive coach with Head Coaching experience also Todd Haley of the Steelers those two will likely be on the short list and IMO one of those will land the gig and I believe it will be Todd Haley.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Very True, shocked Bradley is like this being that he learned under Pete Carroll, but Bradley will be in high demand as a Defensive Coordinator for other coaching staffs and if the Rams replaced Fisher with Josh McDaniels for example, Bradley would be a good match for McDaniels.

As to the future Head Coaches of the Jaguars, they will look long and hard at McDaniels as they will most likely want an offensive coach with Head Coaching experience also Todd Haley of the Steelers those two will likely be on the short list and IMO one of those will land the gig and I believe it will be Todd Haley.

Gus Bradley isn't a good DC imo.