Jags putting in a 5 year offer on Mack

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Alan

Legend
Alan correcting an error:
If you have the CAP room then spend it to the limit. Just don't hinder future maneuvers. You can't carry it over you know.

Plus, that $10 to $11 million dollars isn't what the contract is going to be. That $10 million mentioned in the article was the cost of
franchising transitioning him. Franchising him would only have cost an additional $1.6 million.

Let's wait until we can get a look at the contract.[/QUOTE]
Edited the bold part

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/report-mack-agrees-to-terms-on-offer-sheet/
If the Browns don’t match the offer, they’ll get no compensation. And they’ll be criticized for using the transition tag (which required a one-year offer of $10 million) instead of applying the franchise tag (which would have cost only another $1.6 million more, and which would have prevented anyone from trying to pilfer him).

We speculated earlier on the terms that could be used to persuade the Browns not to match. Regardless, the Browns seem to be inclined to do what they have to do to keep Mack.

And so the next step will be to find out the terms of the offer and, specifically, the specific wrinkle that could make the Browns think twice about matching.

Like I said, they're going to do their best to re-sign him.

Alan

Legend
http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/10/alex-mack-five-year-deal-will-be-worth-42-million/
Alex Mack five-year deal will be worth $42 million
Posted by Darin Gantt on April 10, 2014, 4:52 PM EDT
9c29aae91045bdb53ef487ec6a624510-e1397143744914.jpeg
AP
The staredown between the Browns and the Jaguars over center Alex Mack is about to begin.

According to Ian Rapoport of the NFL Network, Mack will sign his offer sheet from the Jaguars tomorrow.

The deal is set to be for five years, and worth a total of $42 million, with $18 million the first two years. It’s also reported to include a player option after the 2015 season which would prevent his team from tagging him.

So if he wants to leave Cleveland, which he hasn’t exactly/kind-of sort-of said, he could do so even if they match, after making $18 million over two years.

The Browns have five days to decide to match, but if they don’t, they’d get no compensation since he was given the transition tag instead of the franchise tag.
As I suspected, slightly over $8 mill per year with a huge proportion in the first two years making it easy to move on from him later if necessary. Who knows how much of that is even guaranteed.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Honestly I wanted us to sign Mack and use the money we'd save from cutting Wells to use for him. Imagine him sandwhiched in between Saffold and Robinson/Matthews. Zac would have a 'Heart Attack'.

On a side note with me drafting Bortles in our ROD mock draft Mack would fit right in for him to help comfort the transition.

Transition may have been already put in motion ...with the constant 33 yr old Wells health issues and his cost of 6.5 million for each of the next two seasons.... 25 yr old Tim Barnes who played decent in Wells absence due to injury with the exception of game 17 will cost about 6 million less. In addition Boudreau has talented young center Barrett Jones waiting in the wings @ a low cost too.

rhinobean

Hall of Fame
Name
Bob
Get Robinson and Bitonio or Yankey in the draft and the Rams can move on from Wells this year! That's what I think Bonifay said. Sounds like the plan to me!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
That's a lot of money to allocate to a center. Then again, if you're the Browns and Jags you don't have many good players... therefore few big contracts.

Might as well sign the guy and not lose a good player.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Get Robinson and Bitonio or Yankey in the draft and the Rams can move on from Wells this year! That's what I think Bonifay said. Sounds like the plan to me!
This small guy Joel Bitonio is a player who could play all five OL posts if need be.
http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1754724/joel-bitonio

Boudreau loves these types of OL'ers...I seem to recall that DR RAM was high on him too. He reminds me of Barrett Jones type of versatility and may be better.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
Transition may have been already put in motion ...with the constant 33 yr old Wells health issues and his cost of 6.5 million for each of the next two seasons.... 25 yr old Tim Barnes who played decent in Wells absence due to injury with the exception of game 17 will cost about 6 million less. In addition Boudreau has talented young center Barrett Jones waiting in the wings @ a low cost too.
Hence why I wanted Mr Mack to meld our line at center

Memphis Ram

Legend
No surprise to me. Of course, I remember being told that Mack wouldn't even get an offer.

Alan

Legend
He did get only one Memphis. They could easily match it. That's why many thought no team would bother.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
Browns announce they’re matching Jags offer for Alex Mack
Posted by Josh Alper on April 11, 2014

19a690663897f57520d176013bb2be11-e1397249584439.jpeg
Getty Images

Center Alex Mack is officially staying with the Browns.

Reports surfaced on Friday afternoon that the Browns would match Jacksonville’s five-year, $42 million offer for Mack and the Browns confirmed them a short time later.

“I’m excited for both Alex and the Browns,” General Manager Ray Farmer said in a statement from the team. “We have talked about keeping our own players and this is a positive for us. Alex is a quality person and player that truly brings to life what playing like a Brown means the ending is positive for everyone. Keeping our young, good nucleus of players is vital for clubs and specifically the Browns and therefore is this a good step. I’m excited for Alex and our football team as we continue to prepare for the 2014 season.”

Mack has $18 million in guaranteed money coming his way over the next two years and can get another $8 million guaranteed if he does not void the deal after the 2015 season. Because of clauses put in the contract by Jacksonville, the Browns cannot tag him or trade him at any point during the contract. The deal makes Mack the highest-paid center in the NFL and leaves the Browns free to address other needs in the draft and the remainder of the offseason.

Alan

Legend
Thought so. :p
That was a great way to only pay him market value. Smart move by the Browns.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
Thought so. :p
That was a great way to only pay him market value. Smart move by the Browns.
Here's the thing, it was a smart move by the Browns only if you factor in money. By doing this they actually save a bit of money on how much they'd have to pay him the next two seasons.

But it could blow up in their face. Many of the reports were that he did not want to play for the Browns AT ALL, so much so that he'd rather play for the Jags. If he remains there and he dogs it, because he hates it there, then they'll regret it.

Alan

Legend
brokeu91 with a different take:
Here's the thing, it was a smart move by the Browns only if you factor in money. By doing this they actually save a bit of money on how much they'd have to pay him the next two seasons.

But it could blow up in their face. Many of the reports were that he did not want to play for the Browns AT ALL, so much so that he'd rather play for the Jags. If he remains there and he dogs it, because he hates it there, then they'll regret it.
I read an article the said that wasn't the case. Whatever the truth about that rumor is, it worked out for both of them. Mack got the most money he could, with $18 million guaranteed for potentially only two years. After two years he can void the rest and go somewhere he'd really like to play.

For the Browns, they got the services of the best center in football and didn't have to overpay for him. Now they have two years to turn there program around enough so that Mack wants to stay the other two years.

Win Win