1. To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jags putting in a 5 year offer on Mack

Discussion in 'RAMS - NFL TALK' started by RamsJunkie, Apr 9, 2014.

1. Alan Well-Known Member

Alan correcting an error:
    If you have the CAP room then spend it to the limit. Just don't hinder future maneuvers. You can't carry it over you know.

Plus, that $10 to $11 million dollars isn't what the contract is going to be. That $10 million mentioned in the article was the cost of
    franchising transitioning him. Franchising him would only have cost an additional $1.6 million.

Let's wait until we can get a look at the contract.[/QUOTE]
    Edited the bold part

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/09/report-mack-agrees-to-terms-on-offer-sheet/

Like I said, they're going to do their best to re-sign him.

2. Alan Well-Known Member

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2014/04/10/alex-mack-five-year-deal-will-be-worth-42-million/
    As I suspected, slightly over $8 mill per year with a huge proportion in the first two years making it easy to move on from him later if necessary. Who knows how much of that is even guaranteed.

3. BonifayRam Well-Known Member

Transition may have been already put in motion ...with the constant 33 yr old Wells health issues and his cost of 6.5 million for each of the next two seasons.... 25 yr old Tim Barnes who played decent in Wells absence due to injury with the exception of game 17 will cost about 6 million less. In addition Boudreau has talented young center Barrett Jones waiting in the wings @ a low cost too.

4. rhinobean Well-Known Member

Get Robinson and Bitonio or Yankey in the draft and the Rams can move on from Wells this year! That's what I think Bonifay said. Sounds like the plan to me!

Alan and BonifayRam like this.
  5. CGI_Ram Hamburger Connoisseur

That's a lot of money to allocate to a center. Then again, if you're the Browns and Jags you don't have many good players... therefore few big contracts.

Might as well sign the guy and not lose a good player.

Alan likes this.
  6. BonifayRam Well-Known Member

This small guy Joel Bitonio is a player who could play all five OL posts if need be.
    http://www.cbssports.com/nfl/draft/players/1754724/joel-bitonio

Boudreau loves these types of OL'ers...I seem to recall that DR RAM was high on him too. He reminds me of Barrett Jones type of versatility and may be better.

7. The Rammer ESPN Draft Guru

Hence why I wanted Mr Mack to meld our line at center

8. Memphis Ram Well-Known Member

No surprise to me. Of course, I remember being told that Mack wouldn't even get an offer.

9. Alan Well-Known Member

He did get only one Memphis. They could easily match it. That's why many thought no team would bother.

10. Prime Time RODerator

Browns announce they’re matching Jags offer for Alex Mack
    Posted by Josh Alper on April 11, 2014

[​IMG]Getty Images

Center Alex Mack is officially staying with the Browns.

Reports surfaced on Friday afternoon that the Browns would match Jacksonville’s five-year, $42 million offer for Mack and the Browns confirmed them a short time later.

“I’m excited for both Alex and the Browns,” General Manager Ray Farmer said in a statement from the team. “We have talked about keeping our own players and this is a positive for us. Alex is a quality person and player that truly brings to life what playing like a Brown means the ending is positive for everyone. Keeping our young, good nucleus of players is vital for clubs and specifically the Browns and therefore is this a good step. I’m excited for Alex and our football team as we continue to prepare for the 2014 season.”

Mack has $18 million in guaranteed money coming his way over the next two years and can get another $8 million guaranteed if he does not void the deal after the 2015 season. Because of clauses put in the contract by Jacksonville, the Browns cannot tag him or trade him at any point during the contract. The deal makes Mack the highest-paid center in the NFL and leaves the Browns free to address other needs in the draft and the remainder of the offseason.

11. Alan Well-Known Member

Thought so. :p
    That was a great way to only pay him market value. Smart move by the Browns.

12. brokeu91 Well-Known Member

Here's the thing, it was a smart move by the Browns only if you factor in money. By doing this they actually save a bit of money on how much they'd have to pay him the next two seasons.

But it could blow up in their face. Many of the reports were that he did not want to play for the Browns AT ALL, so much so that he'd rather play for the Jags. If he remains there and he dogs it, because he hates it there, then they'll regret it.

13. Alan Well-Known Member

I read an article the said that wasn't the case. Whatever the truth about that rumor is, it worked out for both of them. Mack got the most money he could, with $18 million guaranteed for potentially only two years. After two years he can void the rest and go somewhere he'd really like to play.

For the Browns, they got the services of the best center in football and didn't have to overpay for him. Now they have two years to turn there program around enough so that Mack wants to stay the other two years.

Win Win