Jags playing two home games at Wembley this year.

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Jaguars to play two London games in 2020 to boost revenue

JACKSONVILLE, Fla. -- The Jaguars are moving a second home game in 2020 overseas to London's Wembley Stadium in an attempt to increase their local revenue and escape the bottom quartile of the league in that category.

With the Los Angeles Rams and Chargers and the Las Vegas Raiders moving into new stadiums for the 2020 season, the Jaguars felt an additional home game in London -- which generates twice the money of a home game at TIAA Bank Field -- was the best way to offset the boost those teams will be receiving from those relocations and stabilize the long-term future of the franchise.

The Jaguars are spearheading a proposed $700 million entertainment district development around the stadium that would result in additional revenue, but until that happens Jaguars president Mark Lamping said adding another home game in London is the right action for the team to take.

"For clubs like the Jaguars, we are entering an uncertain time," Lamping said. "That uncertain time is related to three teams that in the past were teams that were with us in the bottom of the league in terms of revenue. They have taken steps, steps that we would not consider, but they've taken steps to fix their revenue by leaving Oakland, by leaving St. Louis, and by leaving San Diego. That has had an impact in terms of all the other teams that are where we are in terms of the league.

"We know that Lot J [the name for the proposed entertainment district], in conjunction with all the things that [owner] Shad [Khan] has already invested in, those will continue to pay dividends for us but we can't snap our fingers and get Lot J open tomorrow. So we're waiting to go from where we are now, which is Lot J just a vision, to it actually being open. We need to be looking for those opportunities to supplement our revenue situation and we believe that London fits that bill."

The games will be held on back-to-back Sundays; dates and opponents will be announced in April when the league reveals the schedule. However, the Jaguars did protect home games against Pittsburgh and Chicago, so the opponents will come from this list: Houston, Indianapolis, Tennessee, Cleveland, Detroit and Miami.

It's likely to be between mid-October and mid-November because the annual Florida-Georgia game is being played at TIAA Bank Field on Oct. 31 and the Jaguars have either played their London game that week or had a bye week at that time.

The Jaguars' contract with the NFL to play one home game annually at Wembley Stadium began in 2013 and expires after the 2020 season. Khan said previously he wanted to extend the deal beyond 2020 but the league declined to do so because the collective bargaining agreement with players expires after this season. Khan said on a conference call that he would not rule out possibly playing more than one home game in London beyond 2020, though.

Khan said he doesn't expect fans to react negatively to a second London home game.

"I think if you go back when the first game was announced and really historically what that's done for the city and done for the Jaguars, so my expectation is that it should be very positive," he said. "Everything we're doing helps the city, helps us, and that's what you need a small-market team to do to get on a competitive footing with all the resources you need to compete with the other big-market teams."

The Jaguars have repeatedly stressed how critical playing in London is for their long-term stability in Jacksonville. The deal Khan struck with the NFL for those annual games granted the team extended territorial rights in the United Kingdom as well as receiving the ticket revenue from the game at the 90,000-seat stadium. Lamping has said the monies the Jaguars receive from that game account for 11% of the franchise's local revenue (down from 12% in 2016 and 15 percent in 2014).

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger
Since the Rams did not play in Mexico I think they may still owe one game. The deal was to move the franchise and not about playing in The Coliseum.

I believe the League Rules state that teams playing in a temporary stadium are eligible to host an International Series game every season that they are playing in that temporary stadium.

Super Bowl hosts are also eligible for hosting an International Series game as well.

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
I hope this opens the door for the Chargers to play more home games in Mexico City. 8 would be the perfect number.

Last edited:

OldSchool

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Crazy to me they make so much more in London than their own stadium. Is their attendance that bad?

RamsFanCK

HAIL ME
Man, Teams are really showing how little they care about a being loyal to a city lately now aren’t they.....smh

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Fulham Jaguars

With the 17-game expansion in the talks, I would say the best way to implement that is to have an 8-game home / 8-game away / 1-game international series format with 2 bye weeks

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Crazy to me they make so much more in London than their own stadium. Is their attendance that bad?
I don't know, but Jax is a weird city man. It isn't a normal high pop city with the big downtown, but rather sort of a sprawling populated area like orange county. Been there many times to participate in exercises in the Navy (there's a base) and love the bars it's a fun place but never have felt like it was a good place for an NFL team.

This is why I've felt for so long that they're gonna end up moving. And I think the owner has accepted that now based on what we're seeing.

Also imagine the advertising/sponsorship rights for a company like Jaguar holy crap. :oops:

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't know, but Jax is a weird city man. It isn't a normal high pop city with the big downtown, but rather sort of a sprawling populated area like orange county. Been there many times to participate in exercises in the Navy (there's a base) and love the bars it's a fun place but never have felt like it was a good place for an NFL team.

This is why I've felt for so long that they're gonna end up moving. And I think the owner has accepted that now based on what we're seeing.

Also imagine the advertising/sponsorship rights for a company like Jaguar holy crap. :oops:

were they the city that was successful in getting a new team instead of st louis? seemed like a strange decision at the time and they never really took off.

i wonder if the rams would have ever left la if st louis didn't throw all that money at them.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Fulham Jaguars

With the 17-game expansion in the talks, I would say the best way to implement that is to have an 8-game home / 8-game away / 1-game international series format with 2 bye weeks
My family is from Fulham (checks out Fulham Jaguar gear on ebay)

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole

There were only 4 teams with a worse ave attendance last year...

Jags 59K
Rai-duhs 52K
Bucs 50K
Bengals 47K
Chargers 25K

bubbaramfan

Legend
Camp Reporter
NFL keeps hinting they want to go International. London and Mexico City are front runners having hosted games. Jags look to be leading team to end up in London. I keep saying Chargers are perfect fit for Mex City. Already in the same time zone and have been playing the last 50+ years With built in Latino fan base just minutes from Mexico. There's still tunnels from Tiajuana to Jack Murhpy. Just think of all that cartel money Spanos could tap into to get a nice stadium!

Seriously, Chargers would fit nicely in Mexico City.

Kevin

Pro Bowler
1581028123082.png

tiger1971

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tiger

I think it's more about the Corporate facilities at Wembley and their ability to sell out pretty much every game.

Approximately 280 Private Boxes and nearly 10,000 Club Wembley Seats I believe.

Reddog99

Pro Bowler
If this is actually a problem the team needs to move.

Wow. To the fans in Jacksonville that's like having a wife and telling her if you're not going to put out I will find someone who will so you don't have to worry about it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les

When they are winning they fill seats though.

Wow. To the fans in Jacksonville that's like having a wife and telling her if you're not going to put out I will find someone who will so you don't have to worry about it.

Well if you can't get it up then no fair to yell at her. At that's been that teams issue. Winning. They have 6 winning seasons since they were created.

If I was Khan I'd look down 95S then take a right on 4 and snoop around Orlando metro. It's got 3-4 times the metro pop and only one "big three" sporting team and no NHL team.

I'd mine that market WAY before the UK.

Orlando is one of the HUGEST destinations in the USA because of Disney and Universal. The stadium would be filled, which is all the owners care about, they don't care if it's filled with hometown fans. Just people paying for the seat, concessions and all associated shit.

That team would make a ton of cheddar right out of the gate. From sponsorships down to a bag of chip they would be raking it in.