Jadeveon Clowney?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Wonderboy

Rookie
Agreed.

The Falcons are tanking for Clowney. They put on a nice show for their fans last night, but they are aren't winning more than one game the rest of the way.

I don't see OT in the first round either. I think there's a better chance they sign Saffold at OG/OT (after he tests the market) than going OT early.

And I have made the argument that Snead is a student of the Jimmy Johnson management of the Herschel Walker trade. JJ used not even one of the picks he got from Minny directly on a player. He wheeled and dealed them all. Both Emmitt Smith and Russell Maryland were trade ups. Having the extra first rounder gives you that flexibility as we saw last year with Austin and Alec.

Listening to Snead, I got the impression that he is frothing at the mouth for a very high pick this year from Washington, more so than last year. Is it because he is in love with a player in the top 5 or he just wants the capital? Not sure.

Certainly DB and interior OL are high on the list of needs but they aren't going near the top of the first round.

I keep coming back to a WR like Watkins or Evans moving up the board or maybe Snead is in love with one of those stud LBs.

I'm considering what we've learned about what works best for Fisher. Tough D and a running game. So I do expect them to keep adding to the defense and a great LB would fit that plan.

This is the key part of what you said here. I agree that Snead's first priority will be to trade this pick, especially if it is in the top 6. He will get someone that wants to come up (like we did last year) and pick up extra picks or more likely will trade it down toward the middle of the first round and pick up a mid round pick this year and ANOTHER #1 for next year! Keep the train moving of two #1 picks!

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
Agreed.

The Falcons are tanking for Clowney.

It's hard to argue that the Falcons need help with their pass rush, but given the porous nature of their OL I can't imagine them passing on an OT at the top of the draft. They very well could draft with both Matthews and Lewan still on the board.

Ky Ram

Pro Bowler
Two thumbs down on Clowney. If a kid dogs it in college with no money he definitely dogs it when he gets paid.
Alex Barron, Rok, he's the same "type" to me. By type I mean tremendous talent, physical attributes, weak mind and dedication. Pass please.

The Rammer

ESPN Draft Guru
Name
Rick
I get an uneasy feeling about his love of the game. He seems to be more interested in cashing checks than winning football games.

Rare talent for sure,,, but he scares the shyte out of me as far as his heart.
I have the exact same feeling... pass

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
It's hard to argue that the Falcons need help with their pass rush, but given the porous nature of their OL I can't imagine them passing on an OT at the top of the draft. They very well could draft with both Matthews and Lewan still on the board.

Here what I see & the way I look @ The Falcons and that OL...

The current OT situation is Former first round pick and starting OLT Sam Baker is on the IR after injuries took him out. The loss of Sam Baker caused starting ORT Lamar Holmes who was a 3rd round selection in 2012 shifted to the left side to start. Holmes is a very good Right OT but has issues on the let side. The vacant ORT spot of Holmes was taken up ex Bucs starting ORT Jermy Trueblood who would be a good reserve but has issues being the starter. Last seasons top Reserve OL'er Mike Johnson a 3rd rd pick in 2011 from Bama was injured all of 2011 & was a primary back up in 2012. Has been on the IR all 2013. Johnson is under contract & slated to return in 2014. UDFA rookie Ryan Schraederis the current OT back up.

The current interior OL situation has last seasons starting ORG Peter Konz moved to center this season ...this top OC 2nd rd selection in 2012 played well @ ORG, The OLG position has all pro Justin Blalock working there. The starting ORG is Garrett Reynolds. Reynolds has been a weak spot & has proved to be a big problem for QB Ryan this season. Top interior Joe Hawley who was a 4th rd pick in 2010 has started two games @ ORG but he is a very good back up center.

In conclusion once OT's Baker & Johnson returns, Baker to OLT then Holmes will return to his ORT post with two good reserves back up OT's Mike Johnson & Trueblood is a very solid situation for them Both Baker & Holmes are good starting OTs! So the Falcon's will be in good shape in 2014 @ OT. There is certainly Here no need here. The interior 3 positions ...two of the three OC & OLG have outstanding players starting. The only issue in this OL is @ starting ORG post. The reserves of Hawley & Renyolds are fine...so bottom line the only bonifed real OL concerns the Falcons have in 2014 is finding one starting Right OG. I do not see Atlanta drafting a ORG with a top five first round draft selection not when they could draft a pass rushing demon like DE Clowney

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
I stand corrected, Bonifay. :D You obviously have a much greater knowledge of their OL situation than I. After reading your post I would agree that Clowney would be their primary target.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
The Bucs or Falcons will take Clowney...but yes, I absolutely would. You don't pass on once in a decade freaks.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Two thumbs down on Clowney. If a kid dogs it in college with no money he definitely dogs it when he gets paid.
Alex Barron, Rok, he's the same "type" to me. By type I mean tremendous talent, physical attributes, weak mind and dedication. Pass please.

The guy has his questions about his motor but no more than Mario Williams and Julius Peppers. For those saying he doesn't care and is dogging it, if that is true, why is he playing through a foot injury that needs surgery to help SC?

Methinks people put a little too much stock in what the media reports. They aren't inside the locker-room.

Clowney is a once in a decade type freak athlete. 6'6" 275+ with 4.5 speed. On top of that, he's not just an athlete playing football. He's a football player. The guy is arguably the best in college football at anticipating and jumping the snap. He has a diverse set of pass rush moves. He has the strength to dominate with a bull rush. He understands the concept of splitting your man. He knows how to slant and stunt.

Clowney is a rare player. Like the people that passed on Adrian Peterson, Calvin Johnson, Von Miller, JJ Watt, etc., they'll regret not drafting Clowney when they had the chance.(unless they came away with a franchise QB) Clowney's ability to impact the game on defense is unrivaled. But yea, I certainly wish he had Chris Long's motor...sadly, he more has Julius Peppers's motor.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I stand corrected, Bonifay. :D You obviously have a much greater knowledge of their OL situation than I. After reading your post I would agree that Clowney would be their primary target.

Hey there BigRamFan I sure was not trying to correct anyone cause I am so often wrong :oops: so please do not think that was my intentions..because it sure wasn't. What caused me to recall the issues ongoing with the Falcons reminds me a bunch of the Rams past issues. I compare Sam Bradford to being as good as Matt Ryan in overall talent I even think Sam will be more successful in the end.

I recall seeing OLT Baker go down when we were playing them...I saw the shift of Holmes & Trueblood going in @ ORT they really missed Baker. This season they lost their longtime center thus causing the starting ORG to move to center thus the issues went bad for them @ ORG. The entire right side OL is non functioning & the OLT is weak so this season went south very quickly with the OL injuries with a pocket passer. Sound familiar? Fact was the Falcons did not have a swing OT on their roster... That swing OT was Mike Johnson who was on the IR. All their OT's should be available in 2014 & i think they will return to true playoff form but a pass rusher is badly missing.

That's why I preach so much about the Rams getting & replace Saffold a versatile and very talented swing OT type in the draft...they are extremely hard to find! Rams have had three outstanding Swing OT's on their rosters since Snead & Fisher arrived. Rodger Safford, Wayne Hunter & Joe Barksdale! Looks to me that Snead will have a good chance to get one in the first round. I like Mathews-Cyrus Kouandjio & Antonio Richardson. All three could help replace Saffold on our roster spot. All three could also slide a few feet inside & start @ OLG to also fill the other need that the Rams OL has...fill both vacancies with one draft pick.

IMO Sam must have comfort in his pocket to be effective. If your not going to protect him might as well as let him walk off in UFA's when his contract is up. If the Rams build Sam a outstanding OL where he can move up to make those great throws he will be easier to resign! Snead & Fisher have only one third day draft selection on this roster = almost nothing in OL investment coming from the draft. Rams have rode the 2010 top 2nd rd. Saffold selection just about as long as they can, his four yrs are just about up & Wells & Dahl will be 33 yrs old in a few months...Rams paid 23 million for the services of 3 vets like Wells- Dahl & Long this season.

Drafting talented OL'ers will help bring some fresh healthy youth @ great lower cap cost EASEMENT to the Rams cap so there will be some cap space to resign Sam & Quinn in a few seasons. Plus we sure do not want Sam to go through what Matt is going through this season again.

Last edited by a moderator:

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I recall seeing OLT Baker go down when we were playing them...I saw the shift of Holmes & Trueblood going in @ ORT they really missed Baker. This season they lost their longtime center thus causing the starting ORG to move to center thus the issues went bad for them @ ORG. The entire right side OL is non functioning & the OLT is weak so this season went south very quickly with the OL injuries with a pocket passer. Sound familiar? Fact was the Falcons did not have a swing OT on their roster... That swing OT was Mike Johnson who was on the IR. All their OT's should be available in 2014 & i think they will return to true playoff form but a pass rusher is badly missing.

Yes and no. Even before getting hurt, Baker and Holmes were not playing good football.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Yes and no. Even before getting hurt, Baker and Holmes were not playing good football.
I recall Baker being hurt earlier too was it his knee? ...& yes he was having issues before the Ram game...

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Don't forget Gerald Rivers,I will bet half of any ROD money I have at that date that barring injuries or other factors that diminish our current DE's measurably ,we won't pick Clowney
Agreed, and yes we have Rivers as well I forgot to mention him.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Do you think Clowney could play outside linebacker? Someone that you would use in passing situations until he surpasses Dunbar.

No. Clowney is a DE. That's where you play him.

Don't forget Gerald Rivers,I will bet half of any ROD money I have at that date that barring injuries or other factors that diminish our current DE's measurably ,we won't pick Clowney

My thought process is this...there are only so many truly elite talents/players in the game. I don't care if you have good starters, if you can get one of those players, you take them. Clowney has the ability to be that sort of player...a once in a decade type talent. He has the potential to be the type of dominant force that you are telling your kids/grandkids/great grandkids about him years after he retires.

Those are the type of players you don't pass on. Randy Moss...Calvin Johnson...Adrian Peterson...Reggie White...Peyton Manning...you take that guy and you get him on the field...because the type of impact he has on the game completely changes the game.

Suh was an impressive kid but even he didn't have the type of ability that Clowney has.

I can tell you from seeing that guy play...he's special. Truly special. And you put him and Robert Quinn on the edge, that will be a nightmare for QBs.

That all said, Tampa Bay and Atlanta both need a pass rusher...Clowney will be gone imo...unless teams are dumb enough to do what they did with Peterson and pass on him because of red flags that had nothing to do with play(injuries for Peterson).

fearsomefour

Legend
If Clowney "falls to us" I think the greatest value will be in trading the pick
Amen. I hear once in a generation DE and I think Simion Rice. Maybe unfair to Clowney, but, character issues ect. I would rather have someone over pay for him that take a guy at a spot where we are 4 deep. Now, if the team were convinced he was that much a difference maker, a game changer at his position as I like to say, then go for it. If we have a top 5 pick the, DT, CB, OT, DE….I dont care, as long as they are a game changer. DE being on the end of that list.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Amen. I hear once in a generation DE and I think Simion Rice. Maybe unfair to Clowney, but, character issues ect. I would rather have someone over pay for him that take a guy at a spot where we are 4 deep. Now, if the team were convinced he was that much a difference maker, a game changer at his position as I like to say, then go for it. If we have a top 5 pick the, DT, CB, OT, DE….I dont care, as long as they are a game changer. DE being on the end of that list.

Yea but Simeon was still a great DE for a long time. And he wasn't as big as Clowney...and arguably not as athletic.

I agree no @ LB, He may be able to pull off DT. Hes got the size for it that's for sure.

Eh at DE, you're stifling what makes him most dangerous...his edge speed and ability to bend around the corner.