Jadeveon Clowney?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
If, by some chance Clowney fell to the Rams (Redskins!) draft spot would you want the Rams to consider selecting him? On the one hand the Rams already have two outstanding DE's in Quinn and Long and some pretty good backups as well and on the other hand I have read reviews on Clowney that said he is one of those once in a decade type player and he should have an awesome NFL career. With so many teams needing a starting QB he could possibly fall to the Rams if the Redskins keep losing. But, I haven't followed Clowney too closely this season but it doesn't seem to me that he is having a great year but then again he could be getting double or triple teamed or as some have suggested he might be saving himself for the NFL (but, IF this is true do you really want to draft someone that doesn't give 100% all the time?).

Personally, I will be very happy if the Rams can end up with Jake Matthews/Taylor Lewan and C.J. Mosley!

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I get an uneasy feeling about his love of the game. He seems to be more interested in cashing checks than winning football games.

Rare talent for sure,,, but he scares the shit out of me as far as his heart.

rafa

Starter
Name
Rafael
No thanks. Jake Matthews / Taylor Lewan please ;D

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
If Clowney "falls to us" I think the greatest value will be in trading the pick

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max
I believe in drafting elite players regardless of position.

If I have 3 really good LBs, I don't pass on Lawrence Taylor to take a solid OT.

bwdenverram

Legend
Name
BW
Agree with Selassie to a large degree. Last year I would of said yes. This year not only is his work ethic in question but he has't even stood out like last year.
He's not replacing Quinn so unless he beats out Long than you're splitting time with a top 10 pick. Doesn't seem ideal to me.

You can't argue the talent. But I do think our needs this year dictate going another direction. And there are very talented options where we will be picking.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
I believe in drafting elite players regardless of position.

If I have 3 really good LBs, I don't pass on Lawrence Taylor to take a solid OT.

Well no especially if you run a 3-4 defense.

IMO the best thing we can do NOW for our pass rush is get a lead so IMO we gotta get our QB better protected and our RB's better blocking.

iBruce

Pro Bowler
Name
Cory
I'm going to go against the grain here and say Hell yes. Clowney has ridiculous talent. Yes, our Dline is stacked, but Clowney is going to be a Pro Bowler in a few years. He'd tear it up even more on our D line.

RamzFanz

Damnit
Almost always pick the best talent available regardless of position with early picks.

IMHO, there's nothing as valuable as depth at what you do well. You are prepared for injuries, you can rotate people for a break and extend their careers, you keep that position competitive, you have solid trade players if you have to shore up a spot.

For me, the exception would be if there was a spot you have to fill and it's short on draft talent that season. Then you trade to the appropriate spot.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame
I'd take him in a heartbeat IF the Rams are convinced he really wants to be a football player and not just get paid.
The Rams have added a lot of talent the last couple drafts, but to get over the top they need a couple more game changing elite players like Quinn.
Clowney Can be one of those game changers if he wants to be.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
DE is one area I feel pretty set. I feel good about Quinn, Long, Hayes and Sims. If you believe you will lose one of them to FA for money reasons and clowney is cheaper then yes., but our DE's are locked up until Quin 2015 Hayes and Simms 2016 and Long 2017.

Sum1

Hall of Fame
Clowney will be going to the Falcons.

As for the post above wanting Lewan or Matthews. I just don't see this making much sense. Though I don't put a bunch of stock into Fishers draft history, I do think when you look at what the Rams have currently it has a little more merit. The Rams spent a lot of money on Jake Long and he is locked up for a while. Then you have Joe Barksdale who has played as well as any RT in the NFL. I just don't think the need to have a high draft pick for OT makes much sense at this point.

I think the Rams do like they have the past two drafts...they target a specific player and move around and manipulate where they pick and get the guy(s) they want.

I'd suspect it's DBs or interior lineman.

Thordaddy

Name
Rich
DE is one area I feel pretty set. I feel good about Quinn, Long, Hayes and Sims. If you believe you will lose one of them to FA for money reasons and clowney is cheaper then yes., but our DE's are locked up until Quin 2015 Hayes and Simms 2016 and Long 2017.
Don't forget Gerald Rivers,I will bet half of any ROD money I have at that date that barring injuries or other factors that diminish our current DE's measurably ,we won't pick Clowney

Thordaddy

Name
Rich

As for the post above wanting Lewan or Matthews. I just don't see this making much sense. Though I don't put a bunch of stock into Fishers draft history, I do think when you look at what the Rams have currently it has a little more merit. The Rams spent a lot of money on Jake Long and he is locked up for a while. Then you have Joe Barksdale who has played as well as any RT in the NFL. I just don't think the need to have a high draft pick for OT makes much sense at this point.

I think the Rams do like they have the past two drafts...they target a specific player and move around and manipulate where they pick and get the guy(s) they want.

I think you are correct

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
Do you think Clowney could play outside linebacker? Someone that you would use in passing situations until he surpasses Dunbar.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
Currently the top six selections and the current teams that will make them is interesting..

#1-Jax- Very high probability of QB sure to pass on Clowney
#2-Minn- Also their QB situation is one big mess but they have a big need for a Clowney too.
#3-Houston- Its sure looks like are also in the market for a QB plus their defense brings the heat now.

Note: Looks like a high probability that two of these top three teams will take a QB, leaving the other in the probability to questionable range.

#4-Atl-
Now this may be the first place that Clowney will get serious look. Close to where he played in college plus they are in need of a big young pass rusher. Atl has a good young LB'ing core so a Clowney is a bonified spot
#5-TB- Bucs need a pass rusher & with recent busts of some of their top DE's in the draft..However they could go OT Mathews or Barr.
#6-STL- Sitting here Rams could be looking @ players like OT Matthews, QB Manziel, LB Barr.....Clowney being available would be very doubtful. If he was I would look for a team willing to trade up to this spot myself. I read somewhere that Clowney is still growing ....close to 6-6 and over 285 pounds??? looks like he could be Richard Seymour 6-6 290 size area & a pass rushing DT now that could get Fishers attention in a big way. You know he loves tall interior DL'ers.

I would have no issues with Clowney being selected but with that size he would get some serious interior DL time. Maybe the Browns who currently have the 9th to 10th draft position (they also have TWO first round picks like us) would be willing to deal up to get a the still remaining top three QB's (Manziel??)

max

Hall of Fame
Name
max

Agreed.

The Falcons are tanking for Clowney. They put on a nice show for their fans last night, but they are aren't winning more than one game the rest of the way.

I don't see OT in the first round either. I think there's a better chance they sign Saffold at OG/OT (after he tests the market) than going OT early.

And I have made the argument that Snead is a student of the Jimmy Johnson management of the Herschel Walker trade. JJ used not even one of the picks he got from Minny directly on a player. He wheeled and dealed them all. Both Emmitt Smith and Russell Maryland were trade ups. Having the extra first rounder gives you that flexibility as we saw last year with Austin and Alec.

Listening to Snead, I got the impression that he is frothing at the mouth for a very high pick this year from Washington, more so than last year. Is it because he is in love with a player in the top 5 or he just wants the capital? Not sure.

Certainly DB and interior OL are high on the list of needs but they aren't going near the top of the first round.

I keep coming back to a WR like Watkins or Evans moving up the board or maybe Snead is in love with one of those stud LBs.

I'm considering what we've learned about what works best for Fisher. Tough D and a running game. So I do expect them to keep adding to the defense and a great LB would fit that plan.