Jacology: Future of New Rams Stadium

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
<a class="postlink" href="http://kplr11.com/2013/07/09/jacology-future-of-new-rams-stadium/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;">http://kplr11.com/2013/07/09/jacology-f ... s-stadium/</a>

[11]A2NnE1ZDrqm7kwqAW1ofSID4dhcGqEMY[/11]

(KPLR) – In Monday’s Jacology, Charles Jaco looks at the future of the NFL in St. Louis.

How much is having an NFL team in St. Louis worth to you, not in terms of being a fan, but in terms of money out of your pocket? How much tax money would you be willing to spend to help build a new stadium for the rams? A lot? A little? None at all? Those are the questions civic leaders and taxpayers will have to ask, and answer, sooner or later.

The convention and visitors commission has done what most people expected. They’ve said they will not spend hundreds of millions of taxpayer dollars to upgrade the Edward Jones Dome to be one of the NFL-’s top stadiums. So under the rams lease, the team is free to leave St. Louis after the 2014 season. They’re also free to renew their dome lease one year at a time.

That’s probably what will happen. Rams owner Stan Kroenke says Forbes magazine is the 248th richest person on planet earth. He’s worth five billion dollars. He’s willing to wait, because right now he’s got no leverage. Threats to move the rams back to Los Angeles are no big deal, since the whole project to build an LA stadium is in trouble. Plus, the San Diego Chargers will probably move there first.

So Kroenke will lease the dome year-to-year after 20-14 and be free to leave town every year. Talk now is about a new stadium for the Rams. As I reported exclusively last week, Missouri Governor Jay Nixon is now the lead negotiator for any new stadium plan. Nixon hasn’t yet heard a word from Kroenke.

Kroenke wants a new stadium built with somebody else’s money. He won’t get it. Missouri wants a new football stadium, also suitable for pro soccer, to be built with only Kroenke’s money. That won’t happen either. So we’re back to those pesky original questions. Would you be willing to spend any tax money to help build a Rams stadium? Like I said, we’ll have to answer that question sooner or later.

I’m Charles Jaco and that’s Jacology.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Nothing new in this piece. But... I agree with him. This is going year to year [his words] and an eventual deal will be reached to build something new [my words].