Jacob Harris playing WR, not TE - per McVay

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Some players just develop a little bit slower but that doesn't mean he won't develop and should be cut.
Nobody "develops" this slowly in the NFL any more. At least not a player on the roster. It's just mind blowing that he's only been active for 5 games in 2 years and has only taken 2 snaps on the offensive side of the ball.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Well he's now the third TE...

Saying Harris is a WR actually helps Hopkins to remain on the 53
Being on the 53 doesnt mean a thing if he's not active on game day. The fact that Blanton gets the call from PS over him is truly laughable.

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
Being on the 53 doesn't mean a thing if he's not active on game day. The fact that Blanton gets the call from PS over him is truly laughable.
I agree with both your comments above but they ARE keeping him on the 53. Why?

They lost Jonah Williams. Risked releasing him ... guessing they had the intention to re-sign him to the PS.

If the Rams are convinced Hopkins will not be a player, then Hopkins should have been released and signed to the PS.

Red-shirting a rookie, and keeping him on the 53 like they did with Joseph-Day is one thing. However, 2 years?

I agree with your 'it's mind blowing' comment. Maybe he has photos of McVay and/or Snead.

EDIT: Just saw that Jonah Williams failed his Vikings' physical.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Nobody "develops" this slowly in the NFL any more. At least not a player on the roster. It's just mind blowing that he's only been active for 5 games in 2 years and has only taken 2 snaps on the offensive side of the ball.
It IS mind-blowing.
Like having to wait 5 minutes for a Big Mac.
Rome wasn't built in a day, bro.
They have a plan of action of development and need.
Right now Hopkins is where he deserves and needs to be.
According to the Rams organization, which is one of the hottest franchises in the country.

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
Hi SS:
Not certain what the above means.

Do you mean the final-six on the 53? The end-of-the-roster guys?
Correct.
The six guys that are not active but they still want to develop out and are reserves/depth.

If teams did not have those six guys to develop without worrying they're going to get snatched off the roster, (like the practice squad players).
It would drive teams crazy to know that they developed the guy out for another team to snatch cheaply.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
I hope we involve Harris more in the scheme, even if it's just deep routes; he has the kind of gamebreaking potential you rarely see from a rookie.

And I love what Skowronek is doing; I just see so much potential in Harris.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
It IS mind-blowing.
Like having to wait 5 minutes for a Big Mac.
Rome wasn't built in a day, bro.
They have a plan of action of development and need.
According to the Rams organization, which is one of the hottest franchises in the country.
When did they say that?
This is the same guy who after they drafted him, they proclaimed they were going to create packages for him so they could get him in right away.
Nobody sits for 2 years learning the ropes any more. But please, feel free to share how the organization is happy with his progress

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
Considering that our WRs are actively involved with blocking, the WR and TE position might as well be ambiguous against the opposition. If Harris ever lives up to his potential, we can make our offense more dynamic than it already is with shifting WRs and TEs into blocking or receiving

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Makes me wonder what the Rams really think of Brycen Hopkins.

If they did not like him at all, I would not expect him to be on thee 53. However, thus far, they have chosen to not expose Hopkins by trying to place him on the Practice Squad.

Sebastian Joseph-Day was on the 53 his rookie season but was a game-day inactive the entire year. It was like a red-shirt season for him but the Rams apparently did not want to run the risk of losing him.

Chris Garrett may fall into that category this season ... on the 53-man-roster but inactive thus far for all but one game.

Now Hopkins is in his second season, and has barely touched the field. If they are convinced he is not an NFL-player, don't think they would hold a roster spot for him. If they thought he could help, they would have him active ... even at just a third TE. McVay said Jacob Harris is a WR ... that means they have mostly gone with just two TEs on game-days.

So that leaves me thinking the Rams don't believe Brycen Hopkins can contribute right now but believe there is some talent there, and they want to continue to work with that.

I expected that with Everett gone, Hopkins would be a game-active 3rd-TE (behind Higbee and Mundt), OR he would be cut.
I think that is the beauty of knowing your own players. Kendal Blanton is the better TE,but had less of a chance to get claimed.This new Covid really plays into the hands of The Tams roster.They have so much depth with players within there system.Take Demby last season,but Kolone is a guy they know who wasn’t drafted.
Maybe a poor example,but just keep going down the roster.I also think The Rams clear up some salary’s,but also receive more comp picks again.An example of A’ Robinson & Greg Gaines.Mcvay gave both players credit,but is really high on Greg Gaines who will save The Rams salary cap space.
-Von Miller is another example of a guy they might be able to resign,but being able to have a young player like Garrett learn from he & Floyd.
Reeder & E.Brown as well.
Bobby Brown is a young 21 with all kinds of upside.He is going through a lot, and next season should be an excellent run stuffer.Mentoring is such a huge part of what The Rams are building.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Stafford always preferred bigger bodied WRs, no?
I mean it seems like it. Megatron, Hockenson, Galloday, Jones, Kupp, Van Jeff.

I’m sure he’d make due with whoever he has, but I’d love to see him get some late season chemistry with Harris in the red zone at least. But idk it sure seems like he loves throwing to Van. Their connection is growing by the game and I love it.

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
Teams need to account for Van Jeff or its a quick 6

Soul Surfer

Legend
Name
Charles Mazyck
feel free to share how the organization is happy with his progress
When did they say that?
All they're saying is that he's the third tight end and he's worthy of the 53 and they're not ready to give up on him yet.

That's all I need to know at the moment.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
When did they say that?
This is the same guy who after they drafted him, they proclaimed they were going to create packages for him so they could get him in right away.
Nobody sits for 2 years learning the ropes any more. But please, feel free to share how the organization is happy with his progress
Yeah - I don’t know about that Hopkins has underperformed no doubt.The Rams are still paying him,so I’m sure there is contract as

A guy like Jacob Harris & Ben Sko are core special team players.Brycen not so much.Kendall has earned the chance to prove himself.

If you were to watch practice,there are time Hopkins doesn’t seem like he wants to be out there.IMO there is something that went on that we fans don’t know about.He is a talented player he just needs to work hard & earn it. Wes Phillips is a good coach.

I’m excited to see Blanton take advantage of his opportunity.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
When did they say that?
All they're saying is that he's the third tight end and he's worthy of the 53 and they're not ready to give up on him yet.

That's all I need to know at the moment.
According to this guy:
According to the Rams organization
He's been inactive all season. After being inactive for most of last season.
Bypassed on the roster by a practice squad player.
That tells me the organization is not too happy with him.
It's puzzling as to why they are freezing his spot on the 53. Ought to cut him and send him to PS if they think he has any value