Jacob Harris didn’t even have a Rivals recruiting page, now he’s shining at Rams camp

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Jacob Harris didn’t even have a Rivals recruiting page, now he’s shining at Rams camp​

Every time I start to do a deep dive on a Rams rookie, I start with their recruiting pages coming out of high school. From there, I work backwards and forwards, but I find that to be a comfortable starting point when learning about “what had been” and “what would come to be” from that all-important moment when a football recruit is choosing a college.

Many five-star prospects are duds. Many three-star prospects are the word that rhymes with “duds” that is more complimentary.

Jacob Harris is the first one I’ve come across who basically does not exist. If you want to start researching Harris by looking into how colleges viewed him as a football player, then you will be starting at a dead end.

Because through three years of high school, Harris had never played football.

Not even Jacob Harris could have assigned himself any stars as a football recruit, but six years after he chose to play Division I soccer at Florida Gulf Coast, five years after he changed his mind and chose to walk-on the Western Kentucky football team, four years after he transferred to UCF, and two years after he made his debut as a wide receiver, Harris is now the most interesting Rams rookie of the summer based on what small amount of information has escaped minicamps and OTAs.

Harris, who primarily played free safety and quarterback during his one year of football at Palm Harbor High in Florida, is virtually guaranteed to make LA’s roster after the team selected him in the fourth round last month. His draft status and team needs at tight end are factors into that, but so are plays like this, should Harris continue to make them:

View: https://twitter.com/dbro_ffb/status/1400202764538503170?s=21

The Rams want Jacob Harris to play tight end.

In high school he played striker (I typically don’t know soccer positions other than “goalie” and “guys that kick the ball around the field”). Then he went to a football field and played safety and quarterback and according to high school coach Reggie Crume, “never played one down of receiver” for Palm Harbor because he couldn’t catch:

“Jacob’s where he’s at now because he wants to get better,” said Crume, now head coach of Calvary Christian High School in Clearwater. “He played safety for us; he didn’t even play receiver. I mean, he never played one down of receiver for his entire senior year because quite frankly, he wasn’t comfortable catching a football yet like most soccer players.”

As Harris’ senior season went on, Crume said he started catching the football better which prompted Crume to appoint Harris as the kickoff returner.

Harris returned two kickoffs for touchdowns, including an 86-yard score against Dunedin High School on Oct. 10, 2014.

Harris didn’t decide to pursue football instead of soccer until after signing day of his senior year, but as a 6’5 player with speed typically reserved for 5’7 guys like new Rams teammate Tutu Atwell, it was relatively easy for Crume to help Harris find an opportunity. Harris became a preferred walk-on at Western Kentucky, which at the time was a surprisingly strong program.

In 2015, the Hilltoppers went 12-2 and finished 24th in the AP poll under head coach Jeff Brohm. Western Kentucky even had a couple of skill players at the time who would go on to become NFL draft picks: wide receiver Taywan Taylor was a third round pick of the Tennessee Titans in 2017 and tight end Tyler Higbee, as you know, was a fourth round pick of the LA Rams in 2016.

Brohm then coached the team to an 11-3 record in 2016 and as many men in his position to, took his talents to a bigger program: he went to Purdue, where they had a tight end named Brycen Hopkins. In 2020, Hopkins became a fourth round pick of the LA Rams.

That’s right. Jeff Brohm has relatively close ties with three tight ends, all of whom were chosen in the fourth round by the LA Rams in 2016, 2020, and 2021. I don’t know why this makes me think the NFL is “rigged” but what the hell is this about? Should Brohm not turn things around for the Boilermakers (he’s 19-25 so far), perhaps Sean McVay will be the first to give him a call and he’ll ask him to coach LA’s tight ends.

He won’t even have to ask for their phone numbers.

View: https://youtu.be/FPS6xGQRuFc

After a short stint at Western Kentucky, before he ever had a real chance to get on the field, Harris sought a transfer to be closer to his family because of medical issues facing those who are close to him.

“My aunt had recently been diagnosed with breast cancer,” Harris remembered. “My uncle as well was in and out of the hospital with heart problems. It was my first time being away from home and didn’t feel right.”

Harris moved back home to help his family out after redshirting the fall semester at Western Kentucky. The decision meant a lot and still does to his mother.

“He’s always been very family-first oriented,” Renee Maloney said. “I think, to me, it just shows his character.”
Keep in mind that during Harris’s time of searching for a football team that would have a place for him, he wasn’t playing football. That’s really notable given that Harris hadn’t started playing the sport until his senior year of high school. If you were in the 2015 football recruiting class, and drafted by the NFL in 2021, it’s entirely possible that from 2013 to 2021, you played a good seven years of organized football.

Jacob Harris played in three: one as a high school safety/special teamer, two as a wide receiver, and he finished with 49 career catches. But you don’t get drafted in the fourth round — even in an odd year like this one — without working for it.

While he was helping out at home, he was also training and working multiple jobs. In between shifts as a bus boy at an Italian restaurant and an assistant manager at a sporting goods shop, he was talking to coaches at FIU, USF and UCF. FIU and USF were experiencing coaching changes at the time. UCF was the school he really wanted to go to, but they weren’t getting back to him. His former high school coach at Palm Harbor, Reggie Crume, was able to get his film to Scott Frost and Ryan Held, who were at UCF then.

“Coach this is low-risk, high-reward for you guys,” Crume, now the head coach at Calvary Christian High School, remembered telling the UCF staff. “Worst-case scenario...you get a great kid in your program that’s a practice body, but best case, he continues to grow and get better and becomes a huge part of your success at UCF.”
Harris spent 2017 on UCF’s scout team, then appeared in 13 games in 2018, but only on special teams. It wasn’t until midway through that season that UCF actually gave him a football scholarship. They knew this wasn’t a typical player who had no stars coming out of high school.

In 2019, the second season under head coach Josh Heupel, who took over for Scott Frost after Frost left for Nebraska (similar to Brohm, Frost’s having a difficult time at his “upgraded” program), Harris finally became a college wide receiver. Harris caught 19 passes for 448 yards and his 23.6 yards-per-catch average is more than four yards better than the leading “qualified” receiver in the AAC that year.

Then in 2020, with former teammate Gabe Davis now putting on a show with the Buffalo Bills, Harris saw his opportunities increase and now as a “qualified” receiver, he was fourth in the AAC in YPC: 30 catches, 539 yards, 18 yards-per-catch. He also caught eight touchdowns, tied for third-most in the conference.

View: https://twitter.com/ucf_football/status/1384970532169289729?s=21

In a typical season, UCF would have played in three more games and his numbers would almost certainly be even better. Yes, Harris might have been playing in a high-powered, throw-it-always Huepel-coached offense that breeds big numbers in the receiving game, but in the case of this particular prospect it’s not what I find interesting.

View: https://youtu.be/53I0HiftcI0

What I find interesting about Harris’s numbers should be obvious by now.

HE HAD ONLY PLAYED ONE SEASON OF FOOTBALL PRIOR TO 2019 AND IT WASN’T AS A RECEIVER WHEN HE DID - YEARS EARLIER - BECAUSE HE COULDN’T CATCH A BALL AT THE TIME.

View: https://twitter.com/jourdanrodrigue/status/1402341830071492608?s=21

Harris still wasn’t getting that much attention for the NFL draft up until the point that he ran a 4.39 40-yard dash as a 6’5 tight end. At that point, the Rams became only one of 32 NFL teams that showed interest in him. He had even more than a fast 40-time, as we wrote at the time when LA drafted him:

There are not many tight ends who are as thin as the 6’5, 219 lb Harris, but there also aren’t many who can run a 4.39 40-yard dash. Who knew that the biggest smokescreen of the 2021 draft process was Les Snead saying that the Rams don’t care about 40 times.

So far LA has drafted four of the best athletes in the class: Tutu Atwell, Robert Rochell, Bobby Brown III, and now Harris.

Harris also had a 40.5” vertical, an 11’1 broad jump, and the fastest three-cone time of the year among all wide receivers, tight ends, and running backs in the class: 6.54.
Harris saw his buddy Gabe Davis get drafted by the Bills in the fourth round in 2020, and he instantly became Buffalo’s “steal” of the year. Davis caught 35 passes for 599 yards, a 17.1 YPC average with seven touchdowns. Harris believes he can be just as surprising for LA because he possesses the same mentality:

“Gabe, especially his mentality, is the best of the best,” Harris said. “He’s a guy that’s able to come in every day and have that same mentality, same work ethic, and that’s been what I’ve been trying to do, and regardless of how I’m feeling, just trying to go out there.”
Being an unlikely football hero would not be something new to Harris, but certainly a player like Harris having an impact on the NFL right away would be new to us. The plan with Hopkins in 2020 was to give him an entire year to learn the position prior to replacing Gerald Everett as the number two tight end, and not only was Hopkins a college tight end for four years, but he grew up in an NFL family so he’s been around it for his entire life.

Harris enters in an entirely different frame of mind — and maybe that’s as much of a secret weapon as anything else.

RamsOfCastamere

I drink things, and know nothing
I disagree that tight ends take longer. I know it’s said a lot, but I don’t think it’s any different than any other position. There are plenty of examples of recent TE’s doing well right away, along with other skill positions like qb, wr, oline etc who do struggle. It’s the player who struggles or succeeds, not the position.
That said, he never added to the room or expanded things.
We’ll see how things change with Harris. Being the belle of the ball in June doesn’t guarantee success, but it’s enjoyable to hear about anyway
Okay if we take out the TE development excuse, then maybe Kupp just straight up earned more targets than Higbee and Everett.

Or he doesn’t like TEs like you said lol.

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think QBs throw it to guys who catch the ball….you catch it when it’s not perfect, the QB remembers you next time throw the route reads. So if you’re a TE, RB, or 1-5 WR you’ll get opportunities if you make plays when opportunity knocks.

Or I’m an idiot after all the years…shhhh

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I think QBs throw it to guys who catch the ball….you catch it when it’s not perfect, the QB remembers you next time throw the route reads. So if you’re a TE, RB, or 1-5 WR you’ll get opportunities if you make plays when opportunity knocks.

Or I’m an idiot after all the years…shhhh
ryh5xuO.gif

WestCoastRam

Legend
Man, I was definitely in the wait and see camp with Brycen Hopkins - especially with the Covid-messed-up offseason - but it doesn't bode well for him at all that Harris was taking 1st team reps along with Mundt in place of Higbee.

Woof.

On the plus side, good for Harris.

PhillyRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Scott
Hey Antonio Gates was a basketball player and look what he did. Of course for every Gates there is a few Fendi Onobun's, but you can just see Harris is much more natural than what we saw in video's of Onobun.

Psycho_X

Legend
Hey Antonio Gates was a basketball player and look what he did. Of course for every Gates there is a few Fendi Onobun's, but you can just see Harris is much more natural than what we saw in video's of Onobun.

Yeah, plus I trust in Snead/McVay's eye for NFL capable talent and coaching an immeasurably amount more than I ever did with the dynamic duo of Devaney/Spagnuolo and their flyers on players like Onobun.

T-REX

"King of the tyrant lizards"
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Jacob Harris wasted no time earning first-team reps and impressing Sean McVay​

Cameron DaSilva
Fri, June 11, 2021, 11:51 AM

451980a106da8b84b729ee6a1274d8f2

Jacob Harris was seen as a pure luxury pick when the Rams selected him in the fourth round this year. A college receiver who’s transitioning to tight end, Harris is a raw prospect with a rare combination of size, speed and leaping ability.
But it’s possible he’s not as raw as initially believed. It’s only June, yet Harris has already earned first-team reps in OTAs and minicamp, catching the eye of Sean McVay and the Rams’ coaches. At 6-foot-5 and 219 pounds with 4.39 speed, he’s tough to miss. But Harris has impressed the Rams for all the right reasons.
After the final practice of minicamp, McVay discussed Harris’ impact so far and explained why he’s been getting reps with the starters while Tyler Higbee has been absent.
“I think he’s just earned it,” McVay said of Harris. “Obviously, Tyler’s the lead dog. He’s done a great job. I think he’s one of the most complete tight ends in this league and when he’s feeling good, Tyler Higbee can do it all for us. Jacob Harris is a great addition to that room. I think he’s a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. Wes Phillips has done a nice job of getting him up to speed.”

McVay continued by highlighting Harris’ rare athletic traits and how he’s stood out in practice settings, which is difficult for NFL players to do, particularly rookies. The coach knows it’s only June and the pads haven’t come on yet, but no rookie garnered more attention at Rams OTAs and minicamp than Harris.

That’s at least a positive sign early on for the first-year tight end.
“His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player his size is pretty rare,” McVay continued. “I think you guys can see, for NFL guys to stand out the way he’s done in some of these limited settings in shorts and helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression. We all understand it’s about when you put the pads on and how that truly translates, but I think it’s because he’s earned it and I’ve been very pleased with him. He’s smart, he’s conscientious and he’s done a great job improving throughout.”
Harris only has two years of experience as a receiver, catching 39 passes for 987 yards and nine touchdowns from 2019-2020 at UCF. He got a late start in football, too, after primarily playing soccer in high school. At 24, he was one of the oldest prospects in the draft, but he was also one of the most athletic.
His Relative Athletic Score ranked 12th out of 2,488 wide receiver prospects since 1987. So just imagine where he’d rank among tight ends.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1377686988879491075?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1377686988879491075|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jacob-harris-wasted-no-time-155125130.html

McVay doesn’t know exactly where Harris will play, whether it’s as an inline tight end, detached from the formation, in the slot or outside at wide receiver. However, the more positions he can play, the more mismatches Los Angeles can create on offense.

“I think it’s a little bit too soon, but what I would say is, I think the smart thing would be if he can play in a variety of spots, that’s gonna be the way we can put the most pressure on people,” McVay said. “If he can play as an attached tight end, if he can play in the slot, if he can be detached out wide, that’s the kind of skill set he projects to have, but again, until we really put the pads on – because you look at what he was doing in college, he was basically lined up as a receiver. So being able to make that transition to the tight end and being attached to the core and doing the different things we ask of that spot, there will be a learning curve. I think he’s handled it nicely up to this point, but we’ll get a real chance to evaluate that and allow that to kind of come to life based on how he handles it and I am confident he’ll handle it well.”

The good thing about Harris’ transition to tight end is that he has the athleticism to succeed as a big slot or wide receiver in the interim. He’ll need to develop as a blocker both in the running game and in pass protection, but his size and speed allow him to make plays as a receiver.

He’s understandably a player a lot of fans are excited about and he’ll be someone to watch closely during training camp and the preseason.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame

Jacob Harris wasted no time earning first-team reps and impressing Sean McVay​

Cameron DaSilva
Fri, June 11, 2021, 11:51 AM

451980a106da8b84b729ee6a1274d8f2

Jacob Harris was seen as a pure luxury pick when the Rams selected him in the fourth round this year. A college receiver who’s transitioning to tight end, Harris is a raw prospect with a rare combination of size, speed and leaping ability.
But it’s possible he’s not as raw as initially believed. It’s only June, yet Harris has already earned first-team reps in OTAs and minicamp, catching the eye of Sean McVay and the Rams’ coaches. At 6-foot-5 and 219 pounds with 4.39 speed, he’s tough to miss. But Harris has impressed the Rams for all the right reasons.
After the final practice of minicamp, McVay discussed Harris’ impact so far and explained why he’s been getting reps with the starters while Tyler Higbee has been absent.
“I think he’s just earned it,” McVay said of Harris. “Obviously, Tyler’s the lead dog. He’s done a great job. I think he’s one of the most complete tight ends in this league and when he’s feeling good, Tyler Higbee can do it all for us. Jacob Harris is a great addition to that room. I think he’s a guy that has a tremendous amount of upside. Wes Phillips has done a nice job of getting him up to speed.”

McVay continued by highlighting Harris’ rare athletic traits and how he’s stood out in practice settings, which is difficult for NFL players to do, particularly rookies. The coach knows it’s only June and the pads haven’t come on yet, but no rookie garnered more attention at Rams OTAs and minicamp than Harris.

That’s at least a positive sign early on for the first-year tight end.
“His natural range, catch radius, body control for a player his size is pretty rare,” McVay continued. “I think you guys can see, for NFL guys to stand out the way he’s done in some of these limited settings in shorts and helmets, he’s definitely made a positive impression. We all understand it’s about when you put the pads on and how that truly translates, but I think it’s because he’s earned it and I’ve been very pleased with him. He’s smart, he’s conscientious and he’s done a great job improving throughout.”
Harris only has two years of experience as a receiver, catching 39 passes for 987 yards and nine touchdowns from 2019-2020 at UCF. He got a late start in football, too, after primarily playing soccer in high school. At 24, he was one of the oldest prospects in the draft, but he was also one of the most athletic.
His Relative Athletic Score ranked 12th out of 2,488 wide receiver prospects since 1987. So just imagine where he’d rank among tight ends.

https://twitter.com/MathBomb/status/1377686988879491075?ref_src=twsrc^tfw|twcamp^tweetembed|twterm^1377686988879491075|twgr^|twcon^s1_c10&ref_url=https://www.yahoo.com/sports/jacob-harris-wasted-no-time-155125130.html

McVay doesn’t know exactly where Harris will play, whether it’s as an inline tight end, detached from the formation, in the slot or outside at wide receiver. However, the more positions he can play, the more mismatches Los Angeles can create on offense.

“I think it’s a little bit too soon, but what I would say is, I think the smart thing would be if he can play in a variety of spots, that’s gonna be the way we can put the most pressure on people,” McVay said. “If he can play as an attached tight end, if he can play in the slot, if he can be detached out wide, that’s the kind of skill set he projects to have, but again, until we really put the pads on – because you look at what he was doing in college, he was basically lined up as a receiver. So being able to make that transition to the tight end and being attached to the core and doing the different things we ask of that spot, there will be a learning curve. I think he’s handled it nicely up to this point, but we’ll get a real chance to evaluate that and allow that to kind of come to life based on how he handles it and I am confident he’ll handle it well.”

The good thing about Harris’ transition to tight end is that he has the athleticism to succeed as a big slot or wide receiver in the interim. He’ll need to develop as a blocker both in the running game and in pass protection, but his size and speed allow him to make plays as a receiver.

He’s understandably a player a lot of fans are excited about and he’ll be someone to watch closely during training camp and the preseason.
Extraordinary comments from McVay who can't contain his enthusiasm for Harris.

The notion of Harris playing in different spots suggests to me that McVay is going to look for ways to get him on the field asap, not to wait for him to put on weight or perfect all the blocking skills to be a full-time inline tight end. No red shirt here.

And why not? Sure he's a rookie, sure he may be raw. But if he can learn the offense-- and most importantly if he can really make plays-- seems to me Harris could see real action this year. Recall that head coaches weren't supposed to be as young and inexperienced as McVay either when he started.

tomas

Pro Bowler
Name
tomas
We'll see what happens when they (Harris) put the pads on-- Hopkins days could be numbered.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Stop and imagine for a moment if this big, fast, and rangy MFer puts everything together this season. And what it will do for our offense.

I mean for the record I don't think he's going to be dominating DBs and all that. I just want to see some impact and that will be enough to make me happy and know he's a future piece. But what if he does dominate. Holy sweet Jesus are we gonna see some shit if that's the case.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Extraordinary comments from McVay who can't contain his enthusiasm for Harris.

The notion of Harris playing in different spots suggests to me that McVay is going to look for ways to get him on the field asap, not to wait for him to put on weight or perfect all the blocking skills to be a full-time inline tight end. No red shirt here.

And why not? Sure he's a rookie, sure he may be raw. But if he can learn the offense-- and most importantly if he can really make plays-- seems to me Harris could see real action this year. Recall that head coaches weren't supposed to be as young and inexperienced as McVay either when he started.
Agreed and nice take. No idea what will happen when the pads come on. But I agree McVay has bought in on this guy just by the way he has commented on him. And he's probably going to do what he can to get him involved.

Might not work btw. We saw the same thing happen with Jefferson last year after a camp where he showed some good stuff. But this guy has some ridiculous talent and it looks like it might be a perfect storm where the talented guy starts putting things together at the ideal time.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Stop and imagine for a moment if this big, fast, and rangy MFer puts everything together this season. And what it will do for our offense.

I mean for the record I don't think he's going to be dominating DBs and all that. I just want to see some impact and that will be enough to make me happy and know he's a future piece. But what if he does dominate. Holy sweet Jesus are we gonna see some shit if that's the case.
Yea the real question is, if he continues to develop how will McVay deploy him? Has he ever had this type of weapon? The physical freak size/speed combo who appears to have great hands and body control? I'm sure his route running needs to improve, but thinking back to all the WRs that McVay has coached, I don't think he's ever had this type of guy.

We run more bunch formations and tight-splits than any other team in the league. It creates confusion for the defense releasing off the LOS. I bet McVay can get him matched up primarily on LBs and Safeties so he doesn't have to battle the elite CBs. I can just see him dominating down the seam and also in the redzone with Stafford. I'm hoping we deploy him similar to Waller or Kelce and pray he develops into something close.

ReekofRams

Hall of Fame
Name
Reek
So you’re all saying that Jacob Harris is a cross of Calvin Johnson and Antonio Gates. Got it.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
Agreed and nice take. No idea what will happen when the pads come on. But I agree McVay has bought in on this guy just by the way he has commented on him. And he's probably going to do what he can to get him involved.

Might not work btw. We saw the same thing happen with Jefferson last year after a camp where he showed some good stuff. But this guy has some ridiculous talent and it looks like it might be a perfect storm where the talented guy starts putting things together at the ideal time.
And we have two holes with plays to fill after losing guys at TE and WR. Jefferson and DSJ won't fill the whole gap. Some snaps will be available somewhere for others.

Ram65

Legend

Great that Mcvay is keeping the options open for Harris. Becoming an inline TE may be asking too much. I thought he could get to 240Lbs this year. At the same time, he may be a better weapon at a lesser weight. Let's see how he does with the pads on. Either way, it's very exciting to see Harris get a chance to show his athleticism.

Where is Hopkins? Too early to give up on him.