Jacksonville Enhancing The Value Of The 1.2 Pick

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Ramifications

http://profootballtalk.nbcsports.co...on-draft-we-have-a-good-idea-of-our-top-five/

They say they are taking a QB. Possibly a smokescreen, maybe they really want Clowney? But just the perception could be helpful.

If there are three top QB prospects in Bridgewater, Manziel and Bortles (not sure where Carr falls?)...

1) HOU takes a QB as expected

2) STL looking for a trade partner

3) JAX has announced the intention to take a QB

This puts pressure on teams like CLE, OAK and MIN to get to the 1.2 spot if they want a shot at the second best QB (assuming HOU does take a QB). For some reason, with OAK just climbing out of a hole in which they traded high picks too liberally and were in salary cap hell, I don't see them moving up (maybe they like Carr, and they are a team with many holes that line up with potential BPAs like Robinson, Matthews, Watkins, Mack, Barr, even Clowney could drop if the first three picks are QBs and CLE or possibly us after a trade don't take him?). But CLE supposedly was scouring the collegiate ranks for QB talent, they have had a litany of mediocre QB talent for 15 years (nearly as many QBs in that span), and conveniently have the ammo to move up with the extra first from the Richardson trade. MIN showed a willingness to wheel and deal last year by trading a second, third and fourth for the 1.31 used on Patterson. It just seems like a natural fit envisioning Johnny Football (if he isn't drafted by HOU) scrambling around like Tarkenton (who has already given his imprimatur) and launching the ball downfield to WRs Patterson and Jennings and TE Rudolph, with probable first ballot Hall of Fame RB Peterson taking the pressure off the young QB, and new OC Norv Turner willing to use him. Inability to manufacture a competent QB through the draft or free agency got Frazier fired, and possibly Spielman is on the hot seat?

ATL is possible, but if Clowney looks like he is going to fall, with the top picks ticketed for QB, they may not need to trade up to 1.2. IF we trade with CLE, the possibility could exist for a surgical move from 1.4 to 1.6, depending on if ATL thinks OAK might take Clowney. Hard to say what OAK will do, old tendencies can be tossed out since Davis died. ATL might be fine taking one of the LTs, which would recommend waiting for whoever falls to them. They did blow up their draft for Julio Jones, which at least shows thay are capable of such a move, but maybe they won't want to mortgage their future with a later first for the second time in four years. Their lack of depth and overall roster balance (defensive shortcomings) were exposed in 2013. ATL also of course did the smaller trade from 1.30 to 1.22 last year that netted CB Trufant for them and Ogletree, Bailey and one of the sixths we used to get Stacy, so that worked out well. Snead has ties with the front office, being a product of their system.

Hypothetically, if we were at 1.4 and had a chance to get to 1.6, that might be hard to turn down. But it would also seem to depend on if we were targeting one player, or a group of 2-3. If the former (say we really want Robinson or Watkins?), not sure we would risk OAK sniping us on that player. If the latter, obviously it would be a no brainer.

Back to the 1.2 pick (to sum up or recap), not sure if we could get more than face value per "the value chart", but the above state of affairs would seem to increase the liklihood of getting at least that (which OAK definitely didn't, getting ony a third to move from the 1.3 to MIA's 1.12). In the case of CLE, that would be I think the 1.4 and 1.26, not sure if anything else? CLE is the only other team besides us with an extra pick. If we had three firsts and everybody else has one, with Snead and Fisher's penchant to manipulate the draft to their purposes, moving up and down the board like Art Tatum or Oscar Peterson on the keys, we could control the draft, and acquire multiple seconds and thirds and fill multiple OL and secondary holes. If MIN, the 1.8 and Snead's supposedly preferred 2015 first for starters, not sure what else (at least a 2014 second or third?). In that scenario, the RGIII windfall would continue to be the gift that keeps on giving, leaving us with two first rounders for the third year in a row. We could also do a deal with CLE for their 2015 first, that would allow them to keep the 1.26, but where they give us some kind of 2014 day two pick (they may have an extra third)? CLE and OAK might be attractive for 2015 picks, as they could again be bottom 10 teams next year?

Last edited by a moderator:

iced

i actually see more pass rushing needy teams vs teams needing a QB.

Pass rusher:
Jax
Cleveland
Oakland
Atlanta
Tampa
Minnesota (Jared Allen is almost done)
Buffalo
Maybe even Tennessee

QB:
Jax
Cleveland
Oakland
Minnesota

QB prospects: 3 or 4 (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Maybe even Carr)
Pass rusher: Clowney, Barr in the top 10

Ramifications

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
i actually see more pass rushing needy teams vs teams needing a QB.

Pass rusher:
Jax
Cleveland
Oakland
Atlanta
Tampa
Minnesota (Jared Allen is almost done)
Buffalo
Maybe even Tennessee

QB:
Jax
Cleveland
Oakland
Minnesota

QB prospects: 3 or 4 (Bortles, Manziel, Bridgewater, Maybe even Carr)
Pass rusher: Clowney, Barr in the top 10

Good point.

Not sure if Barr would be coveted at the 1.2 (unless he runs a 4.3! :) ).

But if Clowney runs a 4.4, the more the merrier. Having more teams vying for the 1.2 could only drive the price up.

It should be mentioned we can't do the sealed bid deal in quite the same way as 2012, because the 1.1 is most likely to go off the board OTC (on the clock).

IF we are targeting Robinson, Watkins or Matthews, it could get kind of hairy trading past MIN, to BUF or TEN. Mario Williams is a Pro Bowl DE, and both DTs also made it, so I don't see them as *NEEDING* a DE. A LB like Mack could be appealing, to pair with Alonso, that would be a dynamic young duo.

Ramifications

Like the Tatum and Robinson reference!

Peterson claimed he was so daunted after hearing Tatum he briefly quit as a youth. When the father of pianist Hank Jones played him a Tatum record when Jones was a child (very musical family, brothers included Basie trumpet player Virgil and Coltrane drummer Elvin), he assumed it was 2-3 pianists playing at the same time! :)

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Good point.

But if Clowney runs a 4.4, the more the merrier. Having more teams vying for the 1.2 could only drive the price up.

It should be mentioned we can't do the sealed bid deal in quite the same way as 2012, because the 1.1 is most likely to go off the board OTC (on the clock).

IF we are targeting Robinson, Watkins or Matthews, it could get kind of hairy trading past MIN, to BUF or TEN. Mario Williams is a Pro Bowl DE, and both DTs also made it, so I don't see them as *NEEDING* a DE. A LB like Mack could be appealing, to pair with Alonso, that would be a dynamic young duo.
Barr is a very good player, but I expect him to run in the high 4.5 - to low 4.6 range.

tonyl711

Starter
I can see that double trade, If we trade with Cleveland and get their number 4, there will still be at the very least one of the top 3 QBs or Clowney still sitting there, I don't think it would be too hard to find a trade with either left.
hows this for a dream..we trade with Cleveland get both their first rounders this year, then trade with whoever wants that last QB or Clowny, and get their first and second this year and their first next year. that would leave us with 3 first rounders, 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders this year, plus 2 firsts next. that would fill a lot of holes.

Ramifications

I can see that double trade, If we trade with Cleveland and get their number 4, there will still be at the very least one of the top 3 QBs or Clowney still sitting there, I don't think it would be too hard to find a trade with either left.
hows this for a dream..we trade with Cleveland get both their first rounders this year, then trade with whoever wants that last QB or Clowny, and get their first and second this year and their first next year. that would leave us with 3 first rounders, 2 second rounders and 2 third rounders this year, plus 2 firsts next. that would fill a lot of holes.

I like how you are thinking. If we are going to dream, might as well dream big, and a double trade down is not only within the realm of possibility, we need look no further than 2012 for the precedent (though I don't want to end up trading down THAT far, we need to add blue chip, elite, future Pro Bowl talent at impact positions we could use - as far as MIN at 1.8 seems about right to me).

Thanks for posting.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Yeah, I was just kidding, though there have been rumblings he could clock a 4.4 (see the Bucky Brooks column below). I agree a 4.5 more likely, I think he will better 4.6.

http://www.nfl.com/news/story/0ap10...nthony-barr-of-ucla-has-bigtime-nfl-potential
Nice article. I love him as a player, and the strides that he has made since becoming a defender. I put him in the class of a football player. The kid can just plain out ball. He has the ability to turn the corner and get low, which is pretty rare. In my opinion, he's best suited as a 3-4 rush linebacker, but I think that he could play on the outside, and he has some ball skills, being a former offensive player. If he runs in the high 4.4's, I wouldn't be shocked...he plays fast, but it seems to me that if he runs that fast, he will have to cut some weight, and he should be focusing on adding some bulk.

The Mingo comparison is the one that I have been making.

Last edited:

tonyl711

Starter
I like how you are thinking. If we are going to dream, might as well dream big, and a double trade down is not only within the realm of possibility, we need look no further than 2012 for the precedent (though I don't want to end up trading down THAT far, we need to add blue chip, elite, future Pro Bowl talent at impact positions we could use - as far as MIN at 1.8 seems about right to me).

Thanks for posting.
I wouldn't trade out of the top 10, but damn the idea of having all those picks is starting to give me a woody, ha ha

Ramifications

I wouldn't trade out of the top 10, but damn the idea of having all those picks is starting to give me a woody, ha ha

Half our starting roster is going to be like the children of RGIII.

Its like if Travis Henry hooked up with Octomom to repopulate our roster as quickly as possible! :)

Ramifications

I think the ideal would be for HOU to take Bortles, with teams fighting over Bridgewater, Manziel and Clowney, arguably the top three prospects in the draft. It would be almost like we had the 1.1!

iced

Good point.

lol there could be some gm's scared of clowney's work ethic - or maybe barr is a better fit for their team.. Buffalo only has 1 pass rusher, who is staring to get near the back end of their career. Tenessee doesn't have much from a DE stand point, but I see them going more receiver than anything else.

My money is on cleveland or another team trading for Bridgewater/Manziel at 1.2... maybe atlanta for clowney, that'd be my other guess

Ramifications

lol there could be some gm's scared of clowney's work ethic - or maybe barr is a better fit for their team.. Buffalo only has 1 pass rusher, who is staring to get near the back end of their career. Tenessee doesn't have much from a DE stand point, but I see them going more receiver than anything else.

My money is on cleveland or another team trading for Bridgewater/Manziel at 1.2... maybe atlanta for clowney, that'd be my other guess

NEVER JOKE ABOUT CLOWNEY!!! :)

No doubt some teams will be, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the some of the NFL war rooms hearing some of the proponents and detractors making their respective cases. I just think if Clowney doesn't go 1.2, no defensive player will. Barr could go before him, anything is possible, but I don't think it is likely.

iced

NEVER JOKE ABOUT CLOWNEY!!! :)

No doubt some teams will be, it would be fun to be a fly on the wall in the some of the NFL war rooms hearing some of the proponents and detractors making their respective cases. I just think if Clowney doesn't go 1.2, no defensive player will. Barr could go before him, anything is possible, but I don't think it is likely.

Or scheme. I think clowney is viewed more of a 4-3 DE whereas Barr is more a 3-4 OLB pass rusher

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Or scheme. I think clowney is viewed more of a 4-3 DE whereas Barr is more a 3-4 OLB pass rusher
That is true without a doubt.

I may be in the minority, but I don't want a bunch of extra picks, unless they are in the future. I'd be OK with dropping down a little if it still means getting the player that I want the most, but we don't need to get any younger. We don't have as many needs as we have before, we need to focus on a couple of needs, but we can go BPA for the most part. We haven't been able to do that in a while.

Ramifications

CLE had been the only pure 3-4 team in the top 10 picks? BUF ex-DC Pettine came from the NYJ and employed a mixed-front scheme, but I think of the Jets as being predominantly 3-4? Pettine is of course now in CLE, and I think also expressed an intent to fit the scheme to the talent and not vice verce. Barr is probably athletic enough to play 3-4 OLB, 4-3 SLB (like Von Miller - but I might not want him in coverage much) or 4-3 DE. But, yeah, 3-4 OLB seemingly his most natural position.

Flash

UDFA
IMO if Cleveland sees a guy they covet and want to trade up, they will just go up to 1 if McNair is serious about being open to trading out. Houston put out some smoke today with ex-coach Wade Phillips saying he told them to draft Manziel. Houston wants to win right now and unless they try to get cute they can just draft Bridgewater and plug him in day 1. At this point I can see the draft unfolding this way.

Houston- Bridgewater
St. Louis- Mathews
Jacksonville- Manziel
Cleveland- Trade to Atlanta-Clowney
Oakland-Watkins
Cleveland-Bortles