Jackson's YPC, 2006-2011

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Anonymous

No one has said otherwise, but, Jackson has just been on bad teams. We know that but I am just going to magnify the gory details for a sec.

There is only one year where he played with a healthy OL--2010. And that year, ironically, he was hobbled. Broken hand, pulled or strained groin, coming off of back surgery. That was the worst ypc of his career--3.8.

In 2010, all Shurmur could do with him was crash him into the middle of the line. The whole point was simply to keep defenses thinking about Jackson. This freed up just an inch of space for the rookie qb to execute a short passing game without receivers.

In 2006, they kept reshuffling the line until they had a group of 5 that could stay on the field. His YPC: 4.4.

But also in 2006, in the 6 games where the line actually stabilized, he had151 carries for 717 yards and a 4.7 YPC.

In 2007 the Rams had what was probably the most extensive OL injuries in their history. Jackson's YPC: 4.2.

In 2008 they had a new system and lots of OL injuries. Jackson's YPC: 4.1

In 2009, they had a new system, a ton of qb injuries (5 to be exact if you count the pre-season), and more OL injuries (plus had to cut Incognito). Jackson's YPC: 4.4.

In 2011, the had the most injured offense of the last decade and qbs went out with injuries a total of 4 times (with Bradford it was a re-aggravation that led to the 2nd time). The OL was a mess--at first uncomfortable with the new system, and then injured a lot. They had 5 different guys play LOT. Brown completely tanked. Dahl ended up at tackle. Jackson's YPC? 4.4.

That entire time, teams knew the key to stopping the Rams was stopping Jackson and they defended the Rams offense accordingly.

Subtract the beat up, less effective Jackson of 2010--also of course as I said, ironically, the only year the OL was healthy--and his YPC from 2006-2011 (years 2006, 07, 08, 09, and 2011) is 4.3. :shock:

How long will he last? I really can't say. 2-3 years? After all when he starts to fade, they can find all sorts of uses for him as part of a group of backs. I mean after all he would still be a big guy who can catch out of the backfield. He would be a great vet presence/utility back.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
How long will he last? I really can't say. 2-3 years? After all when he starts to fade, they can find all sorts of uses for him as part of a group of backs. I mean after all he would still be a big guy who can catch out of the backfield. He would be a great vet presence/utility back.

I'd have to think that a diminished SJ would be better coming out of the backfield than what we have seen out of our back-ups for his entire stint here.

Maybe the coaching staff can produce a team with less injuries to that line this year. :tooth: :pokeu:

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
SJ39 is a beast. Dude has put so much into this franchise and has nothing to show for it. I have an incredible amount of respect for him. Hopefully the Rams will be contenders by the time he hits the RB cliff.

Just this morning he said "Mission Monday, training hard to bring you all the Best season ever. Hungry, Humble & Holy. Let's go!".

F. Mulder

Starter
I don't see Jackson ending his career with the Rams.

Reasons:

1) his contract. When his contract is up there is obviousy no way the Rams pay him starting/elite money to a RB on the probable decline and no way SJ takes a pay cut on a team that is unlikely to be a major contender in that time frame.

2) IF Jackson realizes that his role is that of a 2-feature back system or somewhat regular contributor (but not feature back) and accepts a fair salary it will be with a team that he feels is a legit contender.

No way am I trying to disparage SJ, I just think by the end of next season, or certainly by 2014 he won't be a Ram.

Does his contract run until 2014? The other issue related to that is that his contract is likey backloaded and the Rams will be looking to get out of backloaded heavy contracts on guys whose future with the team is limited.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I hope he does end his career with the Rams for a few reasons.

1- I want him to get a ring, and I would LOVE for the Rams to get him one. If not, and he goes to another team to win one, even the Patriots ( :sick: ) I wouldn't blame him or hate him for it.. Just because he deserves one so bad.

2- It would be weird to see him in another uniform... Like Bruce in that ugly red... Shouldn't have let that happen.

Anonymous

• Thread Starter Thread Starter
bluecoconuts said:
I hope he does end his career with the Rams for a few reasons.

1- I want him to get a ring, and I would LOVE for the Rams to get him one. If not, and he goes to another team to win one, even the Patriots ( :sick: ) I wouldn't blame him or hate him for it.. Just because he deserves one so bad.

2- It would be weird to see him in another uniform... Like Bruce in that ugly red... Shouldn't have let that happen.

Well, if he wants to be with a contender?---I gave him 2-3 years. The Rams WILL be contenders within that time frame.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
zn said:
Well, if he wants to be with a contender?---I gave him 2-3 years. The Rams WILL be contenders within that time frame.

That's what I'm talking about. And who knows - it could be sooner rather than later.