Iupati

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ram007

Starter
So far Arizona 're signed ACL injury return in alameda Tamu, knee issue iupati, Achilles injury return Sean Weaherspoon. Not impressed. That's a good thing for rams

Amitar

Pro Bowler
Name
Amitar
I'm glad to see the Rams are "johnny-on-the-spot" again with this one too.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
The Rams need to make a move to help the oline but I really did not want any part of Iupati. I think he is over-rated, been getting hurt the last two years and is not very good at pass-pro. I hope the Cards over paid that would make it even better. Both them and SF trading cast-offs and neither one getting any better.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
When Iupati is healthy he is one of the best OGs in the game. Hope it doesn't pan out for them, i.e. that he won't be able to stay healthy for them.

He would have been a risky signing for us but whatever. Here's to Aaron Donald whoopin up on him for the next several seasons.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
The Cardinals are definitely going ALL IN to win now, and with some lucky breaks they may win the division and a playoff game. That's fine, but they don't have much in the way of young talent and their window won't be open as long as SF's was. The Niners had three straight legit cracks at winning a Super Bowl. Cards won't get that many chances.

If they don't start drafting better and finding depth that team could crash n burn in two years.

JMO

Last edited:

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
three straight legit cracks at winning a Super Bowl.
I would simply put it they had "three cracks at it" and leave out the word "legit". I always felt they were overachieving and riding a huge luck factor. The 49ers were extremely formula based, they relied on winning the turnover battle or else they lost most of the time. Harbaugh's record when minus-1 turnover ratio or worse was 3-14, they didn't handle adversity well but usually didn't face much.

So it was never surprising when that luck ran out in the playoffs against the better teams that don't turn it over as much (each year their playoffs bounce was a game they lost the turnover luck). What was shocking was a team with a rookie coach magically had a turnover ratio of +28 (5th best all-time?) in Harbaugh's first year that pretty much set the tone for his tenure, and their running QB rarely lost fumbles or never even had a pick-6 until finally this season. Add in the lack of any meaningful injuries for 3 years and it truly was a blessed time for the Whiners, very satisfying they came up short despite all that.

TexasRam

Legend
How then niners stayed injury free while out top players went down was so frustrating.

Until this year when the injury bug finally hit them and they joined us
As bottom dwellers watching the playoffs from home.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I would simply put it they had "three cracks at it" and leave out the word "legit". I always felt they were overachieving and riding a huge luck factor. The 49ers were extremely formula based, they relied on winning the turnover battle or else they lost most of the time. Harbaugh's record when minus-1 turnover ratio or worse was 3-14, they didn't handle adversity well but usually didn't face much.
Overachieving? I hate those bums as much as the next guy but i disagree. Talent, winning the turnover battle and making it count(more below), good defense, ground based offense...sounds alot like Seattle's formula. SF loaded up with talent and was right there. Seattle was just better in the big games and SF had the disadvantage at QB vs Flacco and Wilson respectively.

Team Net Turnover Points. SF ranked #1 in 2011, 7th in 2012 and 2nd in 2013. They plummeted to 14th this past season. Taking care of the football and being opportunistic when you take it away is the name of the game.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Some people here seriously overrate Iupati. I didn't want him on the Rams. He never really played that well against them.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
Some people here seriously overrate Iupati. I didn't want him on the Rams. He never really played that well against them.
Yep. I said when J.Long was brought in that he was an "old" 27 and some folks didn't understand what i meant by that.
Iupati is an old 27 too IMO.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
Taking care of the football and being opportunistic when you take it away is the name of the game.
Agreed that's always the goal but the problem is luck always gets in the way for most teams. Nice article on turnover margin luck is here. The TL;dr of that study was 54.7% of turnover margin comes from luck.

That and how much a given team derives it from luck is obviously up for debate, I personally push the 49ers luck higher than the average as they always seem to get the most ridiculous gifts given to them. See this gem for example, when S.Holmes injures himself and flips the ball to the 49ers for a free TD. All while completely untouched. This is the type of zero-talent turnover that happens far more for the 49ers' benefit than other teams, in my opinion.