It's time to hold Rams — and Bradford — fully accountable

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

News Bot

01001000 01101001
Name
News Bot
Joe Strauss
http://www.stltoday.com/sports/columns/ ... e4698.html

50d782792c19a.preview-620.jpg

Psychologists warn against making public one’s New Year’s resolutions. The argument holds there is no upside to making such a pronouncement and significant risk of embarrassment.

I get it. There’s little benefit to informing your neighbor on Jan. 1 you plan to drop 20 pounds then a week later have him lay on the horn behind you in the Burger King drive-thru. Have it your way.

But there is one commitment I just can’t keep to myself. It’s not proprietary because I’m convinced many others harbor the same resolution but remain too inhibited to let it rip:

This year I pledge to treat the St. Louis Rams like a grown-up professional sports franchise.

Harsh, perhaps.

Bold, certainly.

It is every Gateway City sports fan’s obligation to know his significant other’s birthday, his own Social Security number and the fact that the Rams were 15-65 from 2007-11 under the failed regimes of Scott Linehan and Steve Spagnuolo.

That five-year span was the worst for any franchise in NFL history. The Edward Jones Dome became a mausoleum. By mid-November fans’ civic duty was to root for a No. 1 draft pick more than a home win over the Arizona Cardinals.

Playing an opponent to within a touchdown in the second half after trailing by 20 at the half deserved its own gold star. Public policy held that no crevice was too small to contain a germ of “progress.”

The Rams came to be seen as an a team recognized for its random acts of competence while forgiven for its sloppy accounting.

Enough, I say.

Even better, it’s what the team’s coach says.

Jeff Fisher asserted Monday that reaching the postseason was this year’s goal – not next year’s, not 2014, not the next Clinton or Bush administration.

Having built a 7-8-1 record in the aftermath of a scorched-earth 2-14 campaign in Spags’ final season, Fisher put himself on notice this week. He reflected on what was and what will be.

“The biggest improvement in our experience is that, yes, from year one to year two you’re going to see significant improvement,” he said.

The Rams took the NFL’s youngest roster against the league’s third-toughest schedule this season and emerged as a competent — dare we say — “rugged” team.

Two years after producing a deceptive 7-9 record within a paper lion NFC West, the Rams were 2-1-1 against the conference’s Nos. 2 and 5 playoff seeds.

The NFC West no longer is a relegation division. It is ball-control, field-position football. It offers two coaches, Pete Carroll and Jim Harbaugh, who take great delight in dropping as many points as possible on an overmatched opponent.

This wasn’t fluff. The Rams no longer proved allergic to the draft. They improved from last season’s 31st-ranked offense to this season’s No. 23. The defense recovered from No. 22 in the NFL to No. 14. It tied for the league lead with 52 sacks.

Though scrutinized for their mid-season inability to force turnovers, the Rams finished minus-1 for the schedule, tied for 11th in the NFL after producing a minus-5 differential in 2011.

Fisher told his players he was proud of them during Monday’s send-off at Rams Park. But he also reminded them of a challenge that belied any sense of satisfaction.

“They understand as we move forward we do things better and we get better; that should also be the case the rest of their careers at the end of seasons,” Fisher said.

It is a franchise and a media following that still appears to swaddle its quarterback three years after making him the No. 1 selection of the NFL draft. In most markets the quarterback is tightly tethered to the team’s success or failure. Here, Sam Bradford represents a Rorshach Test. Critics are described as “haters” on airwaves while justifiably wondering whether Bradford is a quarterback who elevates his team or merely reflects it.

Fair questions persist about Bradford’s ability to sense and respond to pressure and his ability to improvise. He does not offer the running ability of Cam Newton or Robert Griffin III. He does not exude emotion, which, in fairness, can be a false tell.

Still, was Bradford drafted to lift this franchise or is he on campus waiting for the franchise to lift him? His fourth-quarter passer rating is encouraging. But when does Fisher entrust his quarterback to orchestrate a more up-tempo, rolling scheme more in line with what Bradford ran as a collegian?

For too long we’ve heard the narrative that revolving offensive coordinators, turnover on the offensive line and incompetent skill position players have retarded Bradford. The Rams were a better, healthier team this season than during the 2010 mirage.

Bradford threw for 190 more yards and three more touchdowns on 39 fewer attempts this season compared to his 2010 rookie season. Bradford produced a passer rating of at least 90.0 six times at least 80.0 10 times this season compared to four 90.0 or better games and nine 80.0 better games in 2010.

There is growth, but not explosive growth.

Fisher repeatedly heard questions about his young roster potentially hitting a rookie “wall” as the season neared its terminus. Yet this team finished with purpose during the schedule’s final five weeks, beating the division champion San Francisco 49ers, winning convincingly on the road in Tampa then staying with the steamrolling Seattle Seahawks.

These Rams were not a playoff team. Playoff teams don’t go seven weeks without a win. Despite the misguided notion that penalties equate to toughness and aggression, playoff teams don’t lead the league in infractions. Call it inexperience if one prefers, but it’s mostly lack of discipline.

“The building process is ongoing. We’re not there yet,” Fisher acknowledged when asked about the talent deficit separating his team from the league’s elite.

“Players make the greatest improvement from year one to year two,” he added. “We saw some improvement from our second- and third-year players that had already been on this roster and there’s still room for improvement there. We’ve got guys that have shown they can make plays … given the right opportunity.”

Fisher mentioned receivers such as Austin Pettis and tight end Lance Kendricks, both of whom made major strides this season. However, Fisher realizes that the team needs to find more playmakers, either by further developing its own roster or going outside via free agency or the draft.

For example, the Rams might bring back free agent Danny Amendola, Bradford’s target of choice, but the franchise cannot afford for him to be the roster’s top receiver.

All signs point to Bradford returning to the same offensive coordinator and using the same terminology.

“It’ll be the first time in his career where he’ll come back in the offseason program and be looking at the same playbook,” Fisher said. “That’s helpful. We’re not going to change things here. We’re only going to do things to help him get better.”

Fisher described this year’s Rams as “a very unique team.” It is a team that created expectations and should now be graded accordingly. No more gold stars graded on a curve.

That’s a compliment to a once-destitute organization. It’s my resolution.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Re: It's time to hold Rams — and Bradford — fully accountabl

Or what?

Not that anybody here does it, but the people out there who say "Bradford has to prove his worth/justify his paycheck next year", really don't have any say in the matter. Fans issuing ultimatums are pretty funny. "This is his last chance." Yeah, okay. Whatever you say, Ace.

I'm sure everyone is in agreement that Bradford's status as #1 overall comes with the requirement of being a difference maker, but I don't think everyone is on the same page with exactly how poorly his development has been handled. "Difference makers" typically aren't drafted onto teams that are devoid of receivers (2010), or transcend nagging upper ankle injuries while changing systems and having no QB coach during a truncated off-season (2011). This year, to me, was Bradford's only year with a semblance of stability. His receivers were better, but Amendola was still injured, and Givens was a rookie. His offensive line came on later in the year, but they started off with replacement players all over the place.

Yes, he can improve. And I'm almost certain he will now that he's going into a year with the same playbook (for once) and an improving receiving corps with a fairly decent offensive line. Dudes out there can throw around all the stats they want, but it doesn't show me anything other than an OFFENSE that needs more explosion. We're pretty close right now. Just need one more playmaker and some health all around for more than 2 games in a row.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich

It's time for the Post Dispatch to hire a columnist that doesn't sound like self satisfied spoiled child.

Scott Linehan and Steve Spagnuolo lost their job, 34 players from last years roster are out of the league, THAT'S pretty accountable, the Rams are sitting home watching the playoffs, that's pretty accountable. Sam is coming into the 4th year of his contract so he's playing for an extension, that's pretty accountable.

Strauss the mouse is a Bernie wannabe and there ain't nothin' like aiming low :jerkoff:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer

That's nice.

Let's magnify everything and blame all shortcomings on the Rams, and not give the competition credit.

There's only 2 games the Rams didn't really play up to par: Jets and Patriots. Patriots I can get, but man the other 3 NFCW teams beat them. Jets...derrrp moment.

Also, for all the focus on the offense, the defense as much as it improved had their own derp moments. Green Bay, Jets, Minnesota, and at Seattle jump out. That's mostly a veteran defense. Really, besides Jenkz, Brockers, and maybe Quinn it's full of vets and some pro bowlers.

Whatever, football is an ugly game tried to make pretty with stats. Just get the Ws,regardless of what the stats say.

bluecoconuts

Legend

He does not exude emotion, which, in fairness, can be a false tell

Of course we needed this little gem. I'm getting real sick of this lie. Other than the fact if it were true it would be fucking stupid, because yelling doesn't equal leadership. This reminds me of the Kings last season. All year round people were calling for Dustin Brown to be stripped of Captaincy/traded, because he didn't yell or "show emotion" (some even said he couldn't grow a good enough beard) and he wasn't a leader because of whatever stupid reason that they couldn't see. Then he led them to a Stanley Cup by dominating in the playoffs.

Yelling doesn't equal leadership. "Emotion" doesn't equal leadership either, many times that can work against you. Have these people spent even 1 minute in a leadership position?

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

bluecoconuts said:
Have these people spent even 1 minute in a leadership position?

You sayin' you can't lead from the computer in your mom's basement? :tooth:

You know, I used to show up on job sites and get all worked up early on in my middle management days. Yeah... THAT worked like a charm. :roll: Talk about no production.

Didn't Ryan Leif try to pull that kind of crap?

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion

I think its fair to say that this is going to be a very telling year for both Sam and the Rams organization as a whole. You can bet teams won't take us lightly next year, after possibly looking past us this season. Can this staff and FO manage to retain the players we need while putting together another productive draft?? Only time will tell.

If this team can stay healthy and if our young players can continue to improve, then we as fans SHOULD expect 10+ wins next season. If the team flounders again, we need to start SERIOUSLY looking at the talent at key positions. Among those is the QB1 position. I know we tend to defend and be rational on this board, but what will the mood be like if Sam has a healthy season in a familiar system, with consistency along the OL......and still puts up stats like he did this year while the team wins 6-8 games?

I like Sam, and I always have. That being said, I DO see some of the things that the "haters" see. If you don't, then you are blind or you aren't paying attention. I also see things things that make me believe he can be not just a good QB, but an elite one. Consistency is the key here. Keep him upright, and give him some windows to throw in and lets see if he can put it all together. If not, lets not be afraid to discuss it. Seacrest....OUT!!!

ryanseacrest.jpg

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

Faceplant said:
If this team can stay healthy and if our young players can continue to improve, then we as fans SHOULD expect 10+ wins next season. If the team flounders again, we need to start SERIOUSLY looking at the talent at key positions. Among those is the QB1 position. I know we tend to defend and be rational on this board, but what will the mood be like if Sam has a healthy season in a familiar system, with consistency along the OL......and still puts up stats like he did this year while the team wins 6-8 games?
Yeah, that's fair. So far there's little doubt that Bradford has NOT been placed in a situation conducive to any QB's success. I mean, how many of our receivers going into this year would have been highly coveted by other teams? Except for Danario Alexander, of course. And it's a sad testament that our best receiver in Bradford's first two years has two bum legs, is it not?

I agree that if everything around him is solid, and he still doesn't take a leap into the upper tier category, then we should have some serious discussions about what the problem is. Up until now though, every discussion about Bradford has been borderline stupid. I mean to the point that people are micro-analyzing coaches tape to find an open receiver on a play or two that he missed. As if that doesn't happen to ALL the QBs out there on a weekly basis or anything. Sheesh.

All the people that matter are of the opinion that Bradford has ALL the tools to be a great success in this league, but he hasn't been provided the extra tools necessary to capitalize on his talents. If you listen to the KD interview with Bernie that I posted today, you'll hear Demoff mention how OTHER coaches told Fisher to take this job because Bradford is just THAT talented - and he just needs to be developed. Call it the eyeball test or whatever you want, but Bradford just doesn't look to be a QB that will flop. He just doesn't.

But yeah. We'll discuss it next year if we don't see a giant leap in his production and all things remain consistent and stable.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim

Faceplant said:
I think its fair to say that this is going to be a very telling year for both Sam and the Rams organization as a whole. You can bet teams won't take us lightly next year, after possibly looking past us this season. Can this staff and FO manage to retain the players we need while putting together another productive draft?? Only time will tell.

I like Sam, and I always have. That being said, I DO see some of the things that the "haters" see. If you don't, then you are blind or you aren't paying attention. I also see things things that make me believe he can be not just a good QB, but an elite one. Consistency is the key here. Keep him upright, and give him some windows to throw in and lets see if he can put it all together. If not, lets not be afraid to discuss it. Seacrest....OUT!!!
The difference between us and the haters is that they only see the bad. If they didn't latch on so hard to their negative angles they might even enjoy Rams football.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Does Sam have room to grow and improve? Um... duh. The guy can and will. Obviously, the talent around him has to be better. But I'm going to say that Sam gets better even IF the talent doesn't improve. I am not about to start telling people my puppy is named after their uncle or some Bugs Bunny character. :razzed:

The idiots on the PD can go smoke a pole. We saw fairly substantial improvement in yet another new system with hardly what anyone could call a great situation even this year. Givens learning on the fly how to be a non one trick pony in the NFL, Danny being out or hurt much of the year, Gibby being possibly our best option, the O-line still sub-standard, etc. There are no Orlando Pace's or Timmerman's on this line. There are no Isaac Bruce's or Tory Holts. And as great as SJ has been, he's no Marshall.

And still with all that, Sam is right in the middle of the pack for starting QBs. How many ahead of him would you really want to trade him for? Where is Stafford without CJ? Would we really rather have Romo? Does Josh Freeman excite anyone without that line, his receiver corp, or the rookie phenom? Carson Palmer? Joe Flacco? Really?

Sam is going to be fine and he's going to do great things.

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

Ram Quixote said:
The difference between us and the haters is that they only see the bad. If they didn't latch on so hard to their negative angles they might even enjoy Rams football.

Yeah man - I don't know how many times I asked posters over there what joy they got out of being so damn negative. Realism is fine, but just fucking carping drives me nuts.

Yamahopper

Hall of Fame

After watching Bradford for a few years now, I have come to the conclusion that no one holds Bradford as a accountable as Bradford himself.

This is a Strauss article....Get used to it. Been reading his mussing on the Cardinals for years. At times he does make valid points, other times not so much.
Like some others when wrong he wraps himself in righteousness. The wronger the more righteous.

But yes everyone is accountable.

Young Ram

Hall of Fame

I expect Bradford to improve. He now has consistency and by adding another playmaker and our youngsters continuing to improve, I'm excited to see this team grow.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

I hold Bradford, and the Rams accountable

Take a look at the 2nd half of the season

Sam threw for 1,905 yards, 13TD vs 6INT
What did that help account for?

4-3-1 record
including 3-1-1 on road

In running terms, we call that a negative split. Always a good sign

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude

I hold Gibson accountable for the 80 yard penalty in the first 49ers game.
I hold the clock guy in Detroit accountable for basically being a moron.
I hold Zuerlein accountable for missing not one, not two, but three field goals in Miami.
I hold Bradford accountable for a pretty poor game against the Bears
I hold everyone and their mothers accountable for the New England game.
I hold this writer accountable for his writing.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Ram Quixote said:

That's why I'm here... to enjoy Rams football.

We had a fun / competitive / exciting / emerging season and there are people out there so focused on the blame game its nauseating. That's not fun.

To the point of the article;
(1) It's a team game. Everyone must play better if we want to go to the playoffs next season.

(2) Bradford is good enough to win with. He's had a LOT working against him in his young career. Sure, he can improve. He can do a lot of things better. I'm quite sure he knows this. But he's our man and he's going to be for a long time. Instead of tearing him up, support the man and be thankful we don't have a carousel at QB like some teams.

(3) There is only one Peyton Manning. As much as I want Bradford "to be like him", that's an unrealistic thing to expect. Heck, there are nut bags out there questioning Eli Manning after having a down year.

(4) I'm too wise to fall for the media hype. RG3 might be shiny and new, but so was Cam Newton, so was Bradford. QB's aren't cellphones and the ever pursuit of the latest and greatest.

(5) I trust the football men running the Rams.

(6) I could keep going...

MTRamsFan

Montana is God's Country
Name
Greg

Tough to argue with someone who buys their ink in barrels. So,

7yhyy.png

Warner4Prez

Hall of Fame
Name
Benny

X said:
Or what?

Not that anybody here does it, but the people out there who say "Bradford has to prove his worth/justify his paycheck next year", really don't have any say in the matter. Fans issuing ultimatums are pretty funny. "This is his last chance." Yeah, okay. Whatever you say, Ace.

I'm sure everyone is in agreement that Bradford's status as #1 overall comes with the requirement of being a difference maker, but I don't think everyone is on the same page with exactly how poorly his development has been handled. "Difference makers" typically aren't drafted onto teams that are devoid of receivers (2010), or transcend nagging upper ankle injuries while changing systems and having no QB coach during a truncated off-season (2011). This year, to me, was Bradford's only year with a semblance of stability. His receivers were better, but Amendola was still injured, and Givens was a rookie. His offensive line came on later in the year, but they started off with replacement players all over the place.

Yes, he can improve. And I'm almost certain he will now that he's going into a year with the same playbook (for once) and an improving receiving corps with a fairly decent offensive line. Dudes out there can throw around all the stats they want, but it doesn't show me anything other than an OFFENSE that needs more explosion. We're pretty close right now. Just need one more playmaker and some health all around for more than 2 games in a row.

I think this about sums my feelings up fairly well. I don't think anyone could deny there are one or two things they'd like to see this QB do differently. Meaning there are likely one or two things he could do to elevate his game, not fatal flaws that he currently has. The greater point is he's playing safe and efficient football. That's all anyone should care about! He won't lose a close game.

I don't think we can look at any game that finished closely and say, "Bradford cost this team a win."

The powers that be simply haven't provided him the ammunition to take whatever next big step people are expecting. I think it's pretty simple. When it dawned on people that Tony Romo didn't have the tools to win games on his own, Dallas drafted Dez Bryant, when the Redskins decided they needed a real QB, they first brought in a couple of receivers. Jay Cutler was getting the shit kicked out of him in Chicago, they drafted Jeffery and traded for Marshall. There's a pretty obvious pattern here.

All that being said, I'd still advocate going OL. I hope that doesn't damage my credibility :shhhhh:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu

CGI_Ram said:
Ram Quixote said:

That's why I'm here... to enjoy Rams football.

We had a fun / competitive / exciting / emerging season and there are people out there so focused on the blame game its nauseating. That's not fun.

To the point of the article;
(1) It's a team game. Everyone must play better if we want to go to the playoffs next season.

(2) Bradford is good enough to win with. He's had a LOT working against him in his young career. Sure, he can improve. He can do a lot of things better. I'm quite sure he knows this. But he's our man and he's going to be for a long time. Instead of tearing him up, support the man and be thankful we don't have a carousel at QB like some teams.

(3) There is only one Peyton Manning. As much as I want Bradford "to be like him", that's an unrealistic thing to expect. Heck, there are nut bags out there questioning Eli Manning after having a down year.

(4) I'm too wise to fall for the media hype. RG3 might be shiny and new, but so was Cam Newton, so was Bradford. QB's aren't cellphones and the ever pursuit of the latest and greatest.

(5) I trust the football men running the Rams.

(6) I could keep going...

Go with (6). That's the vibe I tune in for.

Bye the way, you can add Andy Dalton and Matt Schaub to the long lists of QBs I'd take Bradford ahead of.