It's time to feature the ROOKIES

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I'll start with Xavier Jones. It's time to give this young man a shot to be our featured back. He's not explosive like Hendy and Akers, but he's got a nice all-around RB game going on with good vision and contact balance. The guy flashed in camp and it's why they kept 4 backs. It's also why they kept him even after they added a return game option to the RB room in Calais.

So let's play him. Give the dude a shot. His squirrely and strong run style leads me to think he might be a solid success-rate type back at this level and there's only one way to find out. Up until the point Akers returns Jones represents potential to help settle down this offense a bit. Now obviously we don't know a thing about his mental grasp of the offense which is crucial for us to do this but he's had all season watching from the sidelines so if he's a competitor the guy will be hungry to get in there and execute.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SStiQvdWCGw

The second guy I want to see more of is Jefferson. Reynolds is gone man. The guy had a great opportunity this season to be the WR3 and the dropoff from Cooks in 2018 remains as a cloud over this unit. Continuing to trot Reynolds out there is fucking insanity. He doesn't move the needle at all.

Jefferson offers a potential boost in the passing game. That right now is our greatest need. We can survive the rest of the schedule I think with one of the WRs not being a plus blocker. Promote his ass over Reynolds in terms of snaps please and I think he will give us a few extra instances of wide open and easy throw options per game with his natural separation/route running ability.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qip1a9Y3l2M

The third rook I want to see is Brycen Hopkins. Rams took this guy 100% due to his advanced route running and passing game benefit, knowing he needs time to develop in the run blocking side of things. But what we need now is passing game potency so maybe it's time to sit another veteran who we know is leaving in FA (i.e. Everett) and give the kid a good strong look to see what he's learned this season.

The Rams' TE group has been very disappointing this season. Queue up the tape and there's a lot of snuffed out TE options with separation being a rarity and that has added to the offense's problems. This kid might be able to help us out there and he sure does look good on slants doesn't he....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brq-GSMtbjA

Last but not least is Terrell Lewis. Rams have proceeded carefully with him but he's been injured constantly through his career and we need to give him primary snaps on the blindside in this last game and see what he's got. Now granted Staley has proven to be very bold with rooks and will play the best guy. But I think the "let's be careful with this guy" approach isn't going to work he's either gonna adapt to the pro game and find a way to stay healthy or he's going to join the endless masses of guys who couldn't do it. Put his ass out there and again let's see what he's got.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
Blocking is the only reason I can think of that JRey has gotten more snaps than VJ. Aside from the first SEA game, JRey has not offered us much, and his effort at times has been lacking (all the more baffling since he's in a contract year).

sjm1582002

Wanted everywhere but welcome nowhere
Jefferson was also the fastest player clocked at the 2019 Senior Bowl. Maybe not at Cooks pace but the young man has plenty of long speed.

If Akers and Hendy are too banged to go up I wonder if Woods could put in some time in the backfield. He seems the most elusive player on the O. Love to see a LB try to cover/tackle him coming out of the backfield lol.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Add in Calais. I'm sick of Webster on punt and kick returns. Give Calais a chance to prove if he can be a returner we can count on.

hotanez

NRA Member for Life
I'll start with Xavier Jones. It's time to give this young man a shot to be our featured back. He's not explosive like Hendy and Akers, but he's got a nice all-around RB game going on with good vision and contact balance. The guy flashed in camp and it's why they kept 4 backs. It's also why they kept him even after they added a return game option to the RB room in Calais.

So let's play him. Give the dude a shot. His squirrely and strong run style leads me to think he might be a solid success-rate type back at this level and there's only one way to find out. Up until the point Akers returns Jones represents potential to help settle down this offense a bit. Now obviously we don't know a thing about his mental grasp of the offense which is crucial for us to do this but he's had all season watching from the sidelines so if he's a competitor the guy will be hungry to get in there and execute.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SStiQvdWCGw

The second guy I want to see more of is Jefferson. Reynolds is gone man. The guy had a great opportunity this season to be the WR3 and the dropoff from Cooks in 2018 remains as a cloud over this unit. Continuing to trot Reynolds out there is fucking insanity. He doesn't move the needle at all.

Jefferson offers a potential boost in the passing game. That right now is our greatest need. We can survive the rest of the schedule I think with one of the WRs not being a plus blocker. Promote his ass over Reynolds in terms of snaps please and I think he will give us a few extra instances of wide open and easy throw options per game with his natural separation/route running ability.

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Qip1a9Y3l2M

The third rook I want to see is Brycen Hopkins. Rams took this guy 100% due to his advanced route running and passing game benefit, knowing he needs time to develop in the run blocking side of things. But what we need now is passing game potency so maybe it's time to sit another veteran who we know is leaving in FA (i.e. Everett) and give the kid a good strong look to see what he's learned this season.

The Rams' TE group has been very disappointing this season. Queue up the tape and there's a lot of snuffed out TE options with separation being a rarity and that has added to the offense's problems. This kid might be able to help us out there and he sure does look good on slants doesn't he....

View: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=brq-GSMtbjA

Last but not least is Terrell Lewis. Rams have proceeded carefully with him but he's been injured constantly through his career and we need to give him primary snaps on the blindside in this last game and see what he's got. Now granted Staley has proven to be very bold with rooks and will play the best guy. But I think the "let's be careful with this guy" approach isn't going to work he's either gonna adapt to the pro game and find a way to stay healthy or he's going to join the endless masses of guys who couldn't do it. Put his ass out there and again let's see what he's got.

Fuck it why not. Do it McVay!

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Maybe he’s super raw... but this is the one pick that’s been uncomfortably quiet. That usually concerns me.

Besides, if Everett can’t be the receiving threat... damn. That’s HIS cup of tea.

Jefferson, Jones, Calais... yeah... let’s see if there is more speed here.

Webster doesn’t “hit it” and shifts around too much for my taste. Not sure why runners adopt these styles, but I prefer a guy that goes north fast. Get every yard you can, even if a just few, bust one eventually. But, go north first and always.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Webster doesn’t “hit it” and shifts around too much for my taste.

please @jrry32 can you sift through your posts from the gdt and find the one you made about webster making zero yards on a punt return. it summed him up perfectly. it was early in the game because that's the only time i ventured into there. i had to vent when aikmen said the the defense did their part against the jets. i hate when media people don't watch the game and make up their judgments from the box score.

FrantikRam

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For Jefferson, Jones and Hopkins were not going to put inexperience in at those positions with Wolford making his first start.

I think Jones will have to get some carries, but I doubt VJ or Hopkins play

OregonRamsFan

All Horned Up
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man I read that wrong after watching Star Wars again. I thought it read “feature the Wookies”, which would be nice if we had some. Lol.

Our Wolferine will lead us to the promised land.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
please @jrry32 can you sift through your posts from the gdt and find the one you made about webster making zero yards on a punt return. it summed him up perfectly. it was early in the game because that's the only time i ventured into there. i had to vent when aikmen said the the defense did their part against the jets. i hate when media people don't watch the game and make up their judgments from the box score.

This one?
Incredible job by Webster to have 5+ yards of space and not gain a single yard. Just run up the field.

KJD_Ram

Rookie
pre-season games at the end of they year....why not, it's 2020 after all....But, thinking about the Crudinal game...didn't Frisco just beat them in their own house with their 3rd string QB? We got this....Lets GO D....

Billy Baroo

How about a Fresca?
A must win game with a qb that hasn’t taken a snap and we’re going to play guys that have hardly sniffed the field?? Now we’re going to change things up?? Smh. Brown was starter to begin season and is more than capable in the short term. Hopkins has been ST only for a reason. Jefferson I could see getting more targets over Reynolds.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree on Van. Lewis is already playing a good bit. With the others, I'll let McVay make that call. I have a feeling Hopkins needs some work. I don't think they drafted him for 2020. I think they drafted him as a project to develop for after Everett leaves.

Ramstien

Hall of Fame
Name
Ramstien
What happens if Wolford outplays Goff when they go to the playoffs?

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What happens if Wolford outplays Goff when they go to the playoffs?
It won't be that he outplayed Goff. It will be that he played well against the Cards.

I'm surprised there's people that expect Wolford to struggle vs the Cards tbh. I think the matchup favors us so it's a nice training wheels game for him.