It's the Offense Stupid: Part 2, Wheelin and Dealin'

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Athos

Legend
No need to go into player write-ups. We all tend to talk about and agree (mostly lol) on the same guys.

So here's mine.

Rams trade #10 and #227 and a 2016 6th and 7th (work w/me, I don't usually do trades)
Ravens trade #23 and #58 and #125, #158.

Stealing this from @jrry32 because the Ravens have bevy of Day 3 picks and I agree about their Parker desire. He's the 3rd best WR in the draft who's base is higher than pretty much all of the other WRs after White/Cooper and he doesn't have the risk/headache DGB could be. Smith is only getting older and Smith is gone. Flacco needs some weapons and Parker will catch on quicker than anyone else too. They feel fine giving up those 3 picks to give the Vikings the middle finger.

Also
Stealing from @jrry32 with a slight change to work the draft exchange.

St. Louis Rams trade Round 3 Pick #8 and 2016 5th Round Pick
New England Patriots trade Round 2 Pick #32

These moves net us superior quality over quantity imo, and all of them are going into the O. We'll worry about new D picks next year.

#23: OT TJ Clemmings (call me crazy, but I think his rawness, especially coming from the D-Side and only playing on offense for years drops him right into our laps at 23. There are a lot safer picks with a lot of talent/experience than Clemmings and some teams have more pressing needs than to pick a lineman WILL need some smoothing over. Rams re)

#41: OG AJ Cann (
O-lineman honks should be weeping with joy at this point. I'm tempted to start Saffold at RG to help ease Clemmings transition as the starting RT. No Barksdale re-sign in this scenario. Eventually, you may shift Saffold back to LG and Cann anchors the right side. This will be a far more dominant O-line with greater strength and talent than last year's group.)

#58: CB Byron Jones (we get insurance for Tru J and Jenks both unlikely to come back with an elite athlete that boasts great size and speed.)

#64: RB David Johnson (
Not ANOTHER RB you say. Well, he's elite out of the backfield and I want a RB that can pick teams apart in the passing game. A re-do of the Pead pick, but this kid boasts elite size/speed combo. Good in blocking. Who wants their very own Forte? 2 high quality backs for Fisher.)

#119: DE Za'Darius Smith (trusting in hammer's top 300 list on this one. Sims and Hayes likely gone after this season. Need a good insurance policy for depth.)

#125: G Jamil Douglas (Could be massive force on the interior and maybe spell Saffold at some point.)

#158: WR DeAndre Smelter
(D. Thomas clone. We can afford to ease him along slowly. Really believe he'll wind up here as I don't think he'll be able to do any drills before draft day)

#215: QB Cody Fajardo
(Bringing him in and I have no idea who to pick this late. At the very least, you have a scout team QB to kinda simulate Russell Wilson).

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
In the event that Cooper/White/Scherff are gone, i'd like to see a trade down like this.
I'm a little hesitant to try to groom two raw OT's at the same time, but Clemmings at #23 could be good value.
I really like the Cann pick. I'm not keen on drafting a RB so high but Johnson's skills are exactly what this team needs in addition to what we've got already at RB.
I don't know much about the corner Jones.

Nice work.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I'm a little hesitant to try to groom two raw OT's at the same time, but Clemmings at #23 could be good value.

Only Clemmings is raw. Cann should be fine in contributing day 1. Like I said, you could consider moving Saffold to RG if GRob has made lots of improvement to sort of help Clemmings along.

And Douglas is just a high upside depth pick.

I'm not keen on drafting a RB so high but Johnson's skills are exactly what this team needs in addition to what we've got already at RB.

Johnson brings what we're really lacking at the position. All our RBs are basically the same. Same size, same weight, very similar skill sets other than Mason having the greatest burst between BamBam and Stacy.

An elite PC back is what I covet, especially is a run-dominant offense.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
Love the draft. Would prefer someone like Heinicke over Fajardo (who has horrid accuracy), but I can't really complain about a seventh round pick. I think Jones goes first round, though. He pretty much pulled the Perriman of cornerbacks. And I'm not personally a fan of him. I don't see what separates him from someone like Blidi Wreh-Wilson of the Titans. Would rather pick Alex Carter (Stanford) or DJoun Smith (Florida Atlantic) over Jones. Smith and Cann could go higher as well (Cann, to me, is a legit first round pick, and Smith is a late-second/early-third to me), but hey, I could be wrong. I hope I'm wrong. Because I love this draft...even with the fucking Cheatriots trade. I hope to fate that if they do that trade, they take Flowers or Scherff.

Athos

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Thomlinson is my backup slot to Cann BTW. And I didn't know enough about 2nd round CBs to be able to choose who'd be best in that slot so I went with the athletic freak.

And, Xavier Cooper is the backup pick to Smith.

GoldHorns

UDFA
Name
Golden
At #23 I like C. Irving
#41 prefer L. Tomlinson/Cann
#58 Jones gone, Donovan Smith OT
#64 LOVE David Johnson!

I would love to see us FINALLY shore up the o-line & see what we truly have on offense. No more excuses! But thats just me. GO RAMS!

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Byron Jones is long gone at #58. He's more or less being touted as a first rounder now. No Garrett Grayson hurts it a lot for me. ;)

8to12

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Camp Reporter
Athos, I appreciate the time you put into it.

My thoughts ...

1) I wouldn't give up 3 picks from the next year, even if they are late round. If the Rams were already a playoff contender and needed a couple of high round selections to push them over the top, then maybe yeah.

2) Clemmings ; I would have to look at another player there @ 23. I saw too many negative things during his workouts at the Senior Bowl that would not leave me confident that he could help the team in his rookie season. I think Donovan Smith is more ready to start from day one then Clemmings is. And, Smith would be available in a later round.

3) CB @ 58 I don't remember any Mock drafts having Jones any higher than a 5th rnd pick before the Combine. Is it his workout that has people impressed?
I would prefer, PJ Williams, Josh Shaw, Eric Rowe, or Kevin Johnson at that spot. Between the 4 of them, one is bound to drop, especially Williams after getting a DUI this past week.

4) I like your idea of Fajardo making a good scout team QB. However, I think there are a couple of QB' s talented enough in the late rounds to compete for a backup spot. Brandon Bridge and Bryan Bennett.

The other 5 players are great . (y)

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
In the event that Cooper/White/Scherff are gone, i'd like to see a trade down like this.
I really like the Cann pick. I'm not keen on drafting a RB so high but Johnson's skills are exactly what this team needs in addition to what we've got already at RB.
I don't know much about the corner Jones.

Nice work.
CB - Byron Jones - 6ft - 197 - " 4.38 in the 40!" Record setting " 12ft 3 inch " Broad Jump!" And a Whopping 150.1 SPARQ score!! Sky Rocketing up peoples Draft Boards!!

Last edited:

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
CB - Byron Jones - 6ft - 197 - " 4.38 in the 40!" Record setting " 12ft 3 inch " Broad Jump!" And a Whopping 150.1 SPARQ score!! Sky Rocketing up peoples Draft Boards!!
But can he shut down half of the field? Cover? Recover? Ballhawk?
I don't want a corner at #10 unless he's a stud.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
Me Too!! I wonder how his numbers compare to Deon Sanders!?

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

That's what I'm doubting as well. To me, Jones is a Combine freak. Nothing more. And the only cornerback out of Connecticut that I thought could be a shutdown corner was Jasper Howard (RIP).

I like DJoun Smith at that spot, if we had to take a second round cornerback. He's small, but he's proven that he could shut down any receiver while he was at Florida Atlantic. Ifo Ekpre-Olomu is another option, but he's more of a third right now with that ACL. If we had to take someone with size and speed, I'd rather have Alex Carter out of Stanford.