It's Goff's team now...

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
and I'm saying this because of Gurley's injury. There was no doubt in my mind that the Rams succeeded as far as Gurley took them. I understand that there is plenty of talent on offense, but Todd is the leader because whenever the Rams needed a first down, whenever they needed a big play, whenever they needed a touchdown, Todd got the ball. And he delivered. Let's face it.... Gurley could have/should have been the offensive player of the year for 2 years in a row now. He can do it all. He is a touchdown machine.

But this injury is scaring the heck out of me. Do I think Gurley is done? Absolutely not! But I do think the Rams are gonna have to try and keep him fresh throughout the season by limiting his touches. I thought, as I'm sure many of you have, that Gurley would have been fine with some rest after week 14. That never happened. Gurley had basically a month off, and the knee did not improve. So I guess the arthritis diagnosis is pretty concerning. My biggest fear is that Gurley's knee will start hurting him again next season, and he will miss the remainder of the season (again?).

That's why this is Goff's team now. If Gurley can't be counted on, someone has to step up. And that guy has to be Jared Goff. Many members here have questioned Goff's greatness or potential, whatever you want to call it, but the knock on Goff so far has been his ability (leadership?) to take over games. I believe Champ used to refer to it as the tractor/trailer thing, and while I never agreed with that, I understood what he meant by it. But Goff has had some great games, and a couple of great seasons. There is no doubt in my mind that he has proven himself time and again. But I also knew what Champ was talking about.

Goff had the chance to take over that Super Bowl. He delivered in the regular season, he delivered in the playoffs, but he did not deliver in the Super Bowl. None of the Rams did, at least on offense. And that's not Goff's fault. He played no worse than anyone else. In fact, you could blame the line for the offense's struggles, but I'm not trying to point fingers here.

I'm just saying that for the Rams to take the next step... Jared Goff has to step up. Sure Goff can throw for 500 PERFECT yards against a playoff-caliber Minnesota defense. Sure Goff can throw for 475 yards and win the most exciting game in history against the Chiefs. He also put the Rams in scoring position against the Saints not once, but twice in critical times! And Goff has also shown us some absolutely perfect passes, and he can also read defenses to take advantage of mismatches. He is a great quarterback overall. But can he consistently take the Rams downfield for the winning touchdown with 2 minutes to go? I don't know.

He hasn't had to because the Rams usually score 35 points and are well ahead in the 4th quarter! Well, this year might be different if Gurley is limited. Do I expect Goff to step up and take over? Yes I do! He is a seasoned quarterback now, and he will be counted on to do just that. The Rams are Goff's team now, and he needs to step up next season.

I would love to hear what you folks think.

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's been his team, the offense moves with him. Gurley is huge, no doubt about it, but the offense moves with Goff.

Name
Seth Griffith
I disagree on one thing. Goff did not have a stellar Super Bowl by any means. But that dropped pass by Cooks that would have been a TD was not on Goff. There was also a big and critical run by Todd that was called back by a holding penalty if I recall correctly.

I hope Goff has a bad taste in his mouth, and I hope he rest of the Offense does. That game was very winnable and this team will grow and Goff will grow from it IMO.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Agree with @bluecoconuts here. We live and die with our young QB plain and simple.

It's funny how in hindsight I didn't expect Belichick to do what he did to Goff. I mean Jared has always learned things the hard way... He struggled his first season in college only to bounce back with a stellar career. He struggled year one in the NFL only to bounce back with two straight stellar seasons. He struggled in his first playoff game only to come back the next year and guide us to the Super Bowl. And of course he struggled in his first Super Bowl.

Just keep loading it around him and we're gonna be just fine.

Adi

Pro Bowler
Name
Adi
Mcvay will need to find a way to open up the passing game when the opponent is stopping the run.
Gurley has been the focal point for the last years, I agree that Goff needs to take the next step for this team to win the bowl

Ramlock

Here we f’n go, baby!
Name
Ramlock
Goff has incrementally improved his performance every season and I fully believe that he will once again this season.

That seems to be inherent in his character.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
That's why I'll be happy if they end up with Hockenson or fant . Let's transform this into a team that makes Gurley the compliment .

dang

Legend
As great of a season as the Rams had - everyone has to admit it was far from consistent/stellar play throughout the season on both sides of the ball. The defense struggled for much of the year and came together at the end. The offense struggled from week 13 thru the Super Bowl. I am a Rams homer but had realistic expectations of them being tougher at home this year, winning the division, winning a playoff game and possibly making it to the NFC finals. I hope (and expect) the Rams to improve on both sides of the ball this year. If that occurs my expectations will be a Super Bowl victory and more consistency on both sides of the ball. That will require a bigger distribution of work. Donald, Gurley and Goff carried the load last year. This year it will be 11 men on both sides carrying the load. Go Rams!!

12intheBox

Legend
Name
Wil Fay
It’s not Goff’s, It wasn’t Gurleys team either. This is McVays team. If we have to name a player - that player would be Aaron Donald.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
That's why I'll be happy if they end up with Hockenson or fant . Let's transform this into a team that makes Gurley the compliment .

I don't see any way TJ Hockenson falls to us. But if they somehow get him in this draft I would do effin back flips.

Ram_Rally

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don't see any way TJ Hockenson falls to us. But if they somehow get him in this draft I would do effin back flips.
Hockenson is more well rounded but I think Fant is a better receiver.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
He just needs more productivity out of his intermediate targets, specifically the slot and TE. Kupp coming back from injury will help as will the further development of Everett and Higbee.

Goff is gold, especially when he steps into his throws.

Oregonram

OregonRam
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I don’t agree with one point from the OP. I don’t see Gurley as the one who could get us a first down as much as Cupp was. I think Cupps injury ended up being the biggest drag on our offense, I didn’t see anyone step up and fill Kupps role after he went down...not even close. That, more than anything hurt this team. Gurley’s injury hurt, but Anderson helped blunt that, no one blunted Kupps absence.

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
13-3 regular season. 2-1 in the playoffs. 2nd highest scoring team. And to think, its going to be a work in progress for a few years when a quarterback is that young. I'm not concerned. Both McVay and Goff will learn from the bad game that ended the season.

Rambitious1

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tom
I disagree on one thing. Goff did not have a stellar Super Bowl by any means. But that dropped pass by Cooks that would have been a TD was not on Goff. There was also a big and critical run by Todd that was called back by a PHANTOM holding penalty if I recall correctly.

FIFY :sneaky: