It feels different this time

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

StevenG-BR

Rookie
I know we've had the "just wait til next year!" mentality before. Excitement towards the end of 2012 and 2013, and hope that the following year would be the year we finally break out.

So it's easy to be reluctant this time... But it does feel different, doesn't it?

The D looked real solid in 2012. It looked good again in the 2nd half of 2013. And while those D's were pretty good, it's nothing compared to this current unit.

Something has clicked, and I think our Super Bowl caliber defense has finally formed. I really think think we're entering a 2-3 year period of elite defensive play starting next year. And within that span, I think we'll have one season of true greatness... Like the 2000 Ravens or the 02 Bucs.

I think next year, not even the QB position will keep this defensive team out of the playoffs.

And a sidenote, that's why I think finding a QB at all costs is so important. Could be the difference between merely being a playoff team, and being a SB contender

Can't wait.

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Great post. +1 billion. This team is on the verge of historical greatness. Idk about everyone else, but Bradford being the QB to lead us through this makes everything seem sweeter. I've gotten attached to the guy. I pray he comes back with a vengeance next year. We're gunna be blowing teams out.

Big Unit

UDFA
I agree; feels different. But we need to keep the momentum going; need to finish 8-8 or 9-7.

Problem is it's getting harder and harder to keep season tickets. I've shared them with friends since 1995; first 8; then 6; eventually 4; now even my buddy isn't going to renew; he's a Mizzou grad, and going that route instead. Plus St. Louis was once burned by a team leaving; fans are a little gunshy/fatalistic. The difficulty is St. Louis v. LA is comparing apples to oranges; St. Louis is a better NFL city than some; equal to many; but comparing it to a media center 5 times its size isn't really fair.

The upcoming offseason will be huge, on the field and off.

(Could be worse, I guess; at least we're not the Niners, brand-new Field of Jeans, and a suddenly-old team.)

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Indeed OP. We are in a great time and place right now as Rams fans.

Just for the love of God make sure we have QB covered!

Alan

Legend
StevenG-BR liking our D:
I know we've had the "just wait til next year!" mentality before. Excitement towards the end of 2012 and 2013, and hope that the following year would be the year we finally break out.

So it's easy to be reluctant this time... But it does feel different, doesn't it?

The D looked real solid in 2012. It looked good again in the 2nd half of 2013. And while those D's were pretty good, it's nothing compared to this current unit.

Something has clicked, and I think our Super Bowl caliber defense has finally formed. I really think think we're entering a 2-3 year period of elite defensive play starting next year. And within that span, I think we'll have one season of true greatness... Like the 2000 Ravens or the 02 Bucs.

I think next year, not even the QB position will keep this defensive team out of the playoffs.

And a sidenote, that's why I think finding a QB at all costs is so important. Could be the difference between merely being a playoff team, and being a SB contender

Can't wait.
I agree with all this.(y)

I'd put in a little caveat though. Like the Ravens we can win with a Dilfer but only if we have a decent O-line. I'm not very worried about who we pick up at QB this coming FA/draft period as long as we make some major strides in addressing the holes in our O-line. Without the ability to reliably put up some points every game we're at the mercy of one bad bounce/break. As in what happened to us in the Charger game.

Fatbot

Pro Bowler
I agree but I'm still hesitant. We know by now Rams Luck(TM) makes Murphy's Law seem like a nursery rhyme.

I assume that the worst possible thing will probably happen next offseason. The Rams need a great offseason to take care of those worries. We need a true backup MLB for if JL goes down. We need a real #3 LB -- perhaps those can be the same guy. A fourth developmental LB that has bigger than just special teams potential would be nice, too. Someone needs to tell Fisher that it is possible for one, even two LBs to get injured.

On offense, yeah, obviously gotta address the QB situation. The OL. But gotta admit the list is so much shorter now that I have to agree with the OP, it does feel different!

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Why it feels different

Team is faster
better tackling
No dumb mistakes penalties
Team was in every game- No blow outs like Pats in London
Team didn't lay any eggs against lousy team- like when Jets came to town
They beat some good teams
All three phases playing well now (offense has to catch up)
Fewer holes on roster
Some star players emerging

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Still have to finish strong need to beat the Cardinals to have a win against everyone in the division ensure to take care of the Giants as they are crowning Odell Beckham, Jr as the next combination of Jerry Rice & Calvin Johnson here in New York and to close out strong against the Seahawks in that purgatory they call a stadium!

If that happens then yes things are looking different and they are a field general or a healthy field general away from tasting post season for the first time in such a long time I forgot what it feels like to have those butterflies during January!

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I agree but I'm still hesitant. We know by now Rams Luck(TM) makes Murphy's Law seem like a nursery rhyme.

I assume that the worst possible thing will probably happen next offseason. The Rams need a great offseason to take care of those worries. We need a true backup MLB for if JL goes down. We need a real #3 LB -- perhaps those can be the same guy. A fourth developmental LB that has bigger than just special teams potential would be nice, too. Someone needs to tell Fisher that it is possible for one, even two LBs to get injured.

On offense, yeah, obviously gotta address the QB situation. The OL. But gotta admit the list is so much shorter now that I have to agree with the OP, it does feel different!
I really think Barron is going to transition to outside backer for us.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm beginning to wonder if that's where Mo Alexander is headed since he played LB in college before the switch to safety.
Yeah I really think that's the idea Barron and MO have the attitude to play lb and both can cover to be honest they are better suited to play LB than Olgetree was when he first came

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen

jjab360

Legend
I really think Barron is going to transition to outside backer for us.
He kind of already is as a nickel linebacker/nickel cornerback right now. I hope they wouldn't try to make him an official linebacker and have him gain weight though, that would take away from what makes him special, imo.

Dxmissile

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
He kind of already is as a nickel linebacker/nickel cornerback right now. I hope they wouldn't try to make him an official linebacker and have him gain weight though, that would take away from what makes him special, imo.
I agree the formula is working right now with the d line collapsing the pocket his speed and aggression and natural ability to rush and attack the gaps are already a match made in heaven