Is winning pretty more important than winning?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sandman said:
I see a lot of Bradford discussion out there and it seems like I might be in the minority when it comes to what he should or shouldn't be doing. I think he should, I don't know, do his part?

I understand that fans of the Rams are short on patience, but are we no longer interested in the story anymore? The story being the reconstruction of this team and the eventual coming of age of all the young players? Why is there so much micro-analyzing of what Sam does after every game? Even wins. I read a lot of boards, so this isn't really an indictment of anyone here particularly. It's more or less a net wide phenomenon with a concentrated group of posters.

Does it really matter what other QBs do on their respective teams? Who cares? Dalton did this, Tannehill did that, Luck is doing this, and Griffin is doing that. How does it relate to what Sam Bradford is or isn't doing? Why isn't there any complaining about how Brockers isn't Suh, Quinn isn't JPP or how Saffold isn't Joe Thomas? Is it because they don't count as much in Fantasy Football?

So I'll ask again. Are we more invested in winning pretty (stats) than winning? Sam Bradford may never be a perennial pro-bowler, but he's our QB and we should be invested in his development and hopeful for his success for as long as he remains our QB. As I said, it may only be me. Sam may have only completed 7 passes, but two of them were touchdowns and we won by 14. I don't remember much from my trigonometry classes, but I think there's a mathematical correlation there.

The defense is playing lights out, Zuerlein has a howitzer for a leg, our corners are probably the best in the league right now and as deep as a ravine, the backup OL is holding their own (more or less), Schottenheimer is scheming some nice game plans, special teams are light years better than last year, Hekker has a ridiculous 49.5 average and a 118.0 QBR, Chris Givens could probably lap Usain Bolt, we're +2 in turnovers, a game above .500, and Jeff Fisher is our Head Coach.

I don't care if Sam Bradford carries a 79 rating into the playoffs and it flashes across the ticker while he's hoisting the Lombardi. He's not costing us any wins, and his salary didn't prohibit the Rams from getting the players they wanted. Nor did it cost me any money. This is a team sport, and we have one really good team developing here. I see no reason to doubt that they'll improve dramatically over the course of the season and be a nightmare opponent for everyone else next year. This is a really good story and it's almost like people are missing it in their quest to discredit or run down one player.

Am I way off base here?

Thanks for the pedestal. I'll have it varnished.

I think it's really just a small group that is VERY vocal.....actually two small groups that are very vocal. Those that are in Bradford's corner, and those that think they should have drafted a QB this past draft or just aren't fans of Bradford at all. Most of us take a pretty well reasoned view and don't go off the deep end.

Your point about some posters missing the good story of a developing team is on the mark. It sometimes seems like a few posters get more out of beating on Bradford or sometimes Jackson than they do out of a win or a great game that was entertaining. There are posters that only show up after a loss with the "see they still suck" schtick too. Those are my favorites. :nono:

Sandman

UDFA
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
LesBaker said:
I think it's really just a small group that is VERY vocal.....actually two small groups that are very vocal. Those that are in Bradford's corner, and those that think they should have drafted a QB this past draft or just aren't fans of Bradford at all. Most of us take a pretty well reasoned view and don't go off the deep end.

Your point about some posters missing the good story of a developing team is on the mark. It sometimes seems like a few posters get more out of beating on Bradford or sometimes Jackson than they do out of a win or a great game that was entertaining. There are posters that only show up after a loss with the "see they still suck" schtick too. Those are my favorites. :nono:
This guy knows what I'm talking about. :lmao:

Sometimes I think somebody needs to do a real authentic piece on the psyche of NFL fans. Maybe a renowned behavioral therapist or something. Find out what makes them tick. What makes them take the angle you're describing, and what makes others rush to the defense of players who they feel are being overly criticized (oftentimes without any real merit). I'd really like to read something like that. I suspect a lot of it is ego driven. Like once you take a stand on a certain player, you have to defend that stance at all costs.

I really could care less if I'm right or wrong about Bradford or anyone else. I honestly just hope that they succeed since they have the luxury (privilege, actually) to be on the team I root for. I get emotionally attached to them for some reason. Even if they're not very good, I tend to pull for them a little harder.

Someone analyze that. :lol:

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sam Bradford has been a boss this year, especially in the 4th.

The offense still struggles, but w/ the offseason help it isn't AS bad.

I hope Schotty stays next year....

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sandman said:
I really could care less if I'm right or wrong about Bradford or anyone else. I honestly just hope that they succeed since they have the luxury (privilege, actually) to be on the team I root for. I get emotionally attached to them for some reason. Even if they're not very good, I tend to pull for them a little harder.

You're a homer. Embrace it.

And spot on, Les.

Sandman

UDFA
X said:
Sandman said:

You're a homer. Embrace it.

And spot on, Les.
Give myself to the light side? Is that what you're saying?

I can do that. :lol:

JaLc.jpeg

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Sandman said:
LesBaker said:

This guy knows what I'm talking about. :lmao:

Sometimes I think somebody needs to do a real authentic piece on the psyche of NFL fans. Maybe a renowned behavioral therapist or something. Find out what makes them tick. What makes them take the angle you're describing, and what makes others rush to the defense of players who they feel are being overly criticized (oftentimes without any real merit). I'd really like to read something like that. I suspect a lot of it is ego driven. Like once you take a stand on a certain player, you have to defend that stance at all costs.

Meh, haters gonna hate. If their stupid agenda of anti Bradford or anti SJack or w/e on the internet (REALLY?!) makes them happy, then OK. I just tune them out, knowing they don't really represent the entire fanbase.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Sandman said:
I suspect a lot of it is ego driven. Like once you take a stand on a certain player, you have to defend that stance at all costs.

You are right it's ego driven and it causes some threads to go on and on when there is nothing left to say. Except the insults and personal attacks. Those always have to be repeated right.....

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Selassie I said:
Winning "pretty" only counts in the popularity contest aka college football.

Personally , I'm enjoying the growth I'm watching in Sam and the rest of the team every week. No matter who our opponent may be,,, I feel like we have a chance to win,,,, I haven't felt that way for too long leading up to this year.
That's the truth. I didn't realize what I was missing, apparently. I was all for giving the other guys some more time to figure it out, but obviously Stan & Big Kev knew what they were doing. So, I guess what I'm really saying is ...

I was wrrrrr....

I was wrroooo-ooo....

I was WRRRrrrrRRR...

I dunno. I was something.
You were NOT RIGHT. :pokeu:

And to signify how happy I am about that ...
:nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana: :nana:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah yeah. Every once in a while the universe gives me the shaft and I miss on one.

Savor the flavor, Timmeh. It doesn't happen often. :razzed:

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Sandman said:
X said:
DR RAM said:
Sandman said:
DR RAM said:
Another thing that Sam hasn't been afforded is that chemistry between him and his receivers and lineman. Those numbers they quoted before the GB game must be highs in the league for a QB. Most different WR's and most different OL'man over the last 3 years.
That's what I'm talking about. That statistic. Do you have that? The exact number or where to find it?

Thanks!
I heard it before the GB game, I didn't see it printed. If anyone has the game on tape, they can probably retrieve it. I only have the shortcut recorded. They were staggering numbers though.
Thanks Doc. I'll see if I can find it.
I have the Game Rewind, so I'll video it.
Fantastic. Thanks guys! :cheese:
30 (receivers) 23 (offensive linemen) 3 (offensive coordinators) ... in 33 starts.
That's absurd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4C1ULpex3s[/youtube]

Sandman

UDFA
X said:
30 (receivers) 23 (offensive linemen) 3 (offensive coordinators) ... in 33 starts.
That's absurd.

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=X4C1ULpex3s[/youtube]
:shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock: :shock:

That couldn't have ever happened to another QB in the modern age (in that short of a span).

Absurd is right. Obscene even.

Ram Quixote

Knight Errant
Name
Tim
X said:
Yeah yeah. Every once in a while the universe gives me the shaft and I miss on one.

Just to be clear, I'm glad about you being wrong on this specific item. I was wrong, too.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Ram Quixote said:
X said:

Just to be clear, I'm glad about you being wrong on this specific item. I was wrong, too.
Me too. :nice:

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
Bradford has gone through coaching/offense changes every season, a complete regime change, and we're lucky the new regime declared that hes our franchise QB from day 1. We havent put him in the best position to succeed.

There are plenty of things we'd all like to see him improve on. IMO, the biggest issue is the redzone but thats not all on him, it has been a problem for the whole offense ever since hes been here.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
Bradford has gone through coaching/offense changes every season, a complete regime change, and we're lucky the new regime declared that hes our franchise QB from day 1. We havent put him in the best position to succeed.

There are plenty of things we'd all like to see him improve on. IMO, the biggest issue is the redzone but thats not all on him, it has been a problem for the whole offense ever since hes been here.
Before that even.

2007 - 28th in the NFL (scoring)
2008 - 30th in the NFL (scoring)
2009 - 32nd in the NFL (scoring)

Blehhhhhhhhhhh.

And we're all steadfast fans of that. Something's wrong with us.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:
Ram Quixote said:
X said:

Me too. :nice:

You guys weren't wrong... you were just mistaken.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
JdashSTL said:

Before that even.

2007 - 28th in the NFL (scoring)
2008 - 30th in the NFL (scoring)
2009 - 32nd in the NFL (scoring)

Blehhhhhhhhhhh.

And we're all steadfast fans of that. Something's wrong with us.

:amped: