Is Winning Consecutive Super Bowls the hardest of all professional sports?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
The current NFL champions of the world (LA Rams) are getting ready to put the puzzle pieces together for their "Title Defense".

Like all of you epic Rams fans, I'm so happy to be a part of this team.

I'm very nervous and excited to see how McVay and his coaching staff combined with Snead, Pastoors, Demoff & Kroenke go about collaborating on the best strategy to capitalize on winning two straight Lombardi trophies.

In the NFL, winning back-to-back Super Bowl Championships is probably the hardest of all the professional sports.

The Seahawks, Patriots and Chiefs are the most recent teams to make to consecutive Super Bowls but none of them were able to win consecutive Lombardi trophies.

The Last team to win back-to-back Super Bowls was in 2004 & 2005.

Super Bowl XXXVIII (Feb. 1, 2004): Patriots 32, Panthers 29 Won
Super Bowl XXXIX (Feb. 6, 2005): Patriots 24, Eagles 21 Won

The last 4 teams with an opportunity to win back-to-back Super Bowls.

Super Bowl XLVIII (Feb. 2, 2014): Seahawks 43, Broncos 8 Won
Super Bowl XLIX (Feb. 1, 2015): Patriots 28, Seahawks 24 Lost

Super Bowl LI (Feb. 5, 2017): Patriots 34, Falcons 28 Won
Super Bowl LII (Feb 4, 2018): Eagles 41, Patriots 33 Lost

Super Bowl LIV (Feb 2, 2020): Chiefs 31, 49ers 20 Won
Super Bowl LV (Feb 7, 2021): Buccaneers 31, Chiefs 9 Lost

Super Bowl LVI (Feb 13, 2022): Rams 23, Bengals 20 Won
Super Bowl LVII (February 12, 2023) ?

OIP.B7GGzsYs2KihYbhvxKNCXQHaDm

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
The Stanley Cup is difficult to repeat also.
Speaking of which, my Braves won the WS, our Rams won the SB and they say everything comes in 3's, so my Avalanche have to win the Stanley, right? Because the Lakers ain't winning.

BuffaloRam

Hall of Fame
Speaking of which, my Braves won the WS, our Rams won the SB and they say everything comes in 3's, so my Avalanche have to win the Stanley, right? Because the Lakers ain't winning.
Avs are looking good at the moment!

Florida_Ram

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
The Stanley Cup is difficult to repeat also.

Winning consecutive Stanley Cups is very difficult as well @Elmgrovegnome.

Looking back at the most recent back-to-back Champions in Team sports.

World Cup Soccer: The last repeat Champion was Brazil in 1958 & 1962, but they only play every 4 years and most Americans don't count soccer as one of our nation's professional pastime team sports.

In American professional sports history, the MLB has the longest gap of back-to-back Champions.

The Yankees were the last baseball team to repeat and they actually three peated in 1998, 1999, 2000. If we go off of history, professional baseball has been the toughest American team sport to repeat recently.

The NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning went back-to-back in 2020 & 2021.

In the NBA the Warriors repeated in 2017 & 2018.

(Not a professional American sport) NCAA Football: Alabama repeated in 2011 & 2012.

I only follow the NFL with passion, so the other team sports don't matter much to me. It is interesting though that the MLB has the longest drought of repeat champions followed by the NFL.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
I had a year like that once. I think it was 2009. Yankees, Lakers, Penguins.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
Winning consecutive Stanley Cups is very difficult as well @Elmgrovegnome.

Looking back at the most recent back-to-back Champions in Team sports.

World Cup Soccer: The last repeat Champion was Brazil in 1958 & 1962, but they only play every 4 years and most Americans don't count soccer as one of our nation's professional pastime team sports.

In American professional sports history, the MLB has the longest gap of back-to-back Champions.

The Yankees were the last baseball team to repeat and they actually three peated in 1998, 1999, 2000. If we go off of history, professional baseball has been the toughest American team sport to repeat recently.

The NHL's Tampa Bay Lightning went back-to-back in 2020 & 2021.

In the NBA the Warriors repeated in 2017 & 2018.

(Not a professional American sport) NCAA Football: Alabama repeated in 2011 & 2012.

I only follow the NFL with passion, so the other team sports don't matter much to me. It is interesting though that the MLB has the longest drought of repeat champions followed by the NFL.
It’s the salary caps and in mlb it’s mostly injuries and inconsistency.

sloramfan

Starter
wow ..good post florida ram...

clueless me, ram fan extrordinaire... thought it was nfl hands down...

go rams

slo

PressureD41

Les Snead's Draft Advisor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Eddy
The Avs will add a piece or two for the long gruelling playoffs. Stanley Cup is the hardest pro sport to win. And its not even close.

dieterbrock

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Baseball is the most difficult considering only 10 of 30 teams make playoffs 33.3%, and realistically, only 8 teams reach the first round since the wildcard games are a 1 and done
NBA 16 of 30 teams make playoffs 53.3%
NHL 16 of 32 teams make playoffs 50%
NFL 14 of 32 teams make playoffs 43.8%