Is Too Much Being Put On LA Rams RB Todd Gurley's Shoulders?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

KNUCKLEHEAD

I won't say it unless you don't.
http://www.turfshowtimes.com/2016/6...ley-2016-expectations-predictions-projections

Is Too Much Being Put On LA Rams RB Todd Gurley's Shoulders?

usa-today-9325709.0.jpg

Kirby Lee-USA TODAY Sports

How much is too much to expect from JTG in 2016?

The NFL Network ran a segment today on the Los Angeles Rams called "more or less" where they set a bunch of random over/unders and talked about where they thought the Rams would fall in 2016. It's the kind of fly-by analysis that populates most television sports analysis because it allows for the equality of outcomes. Yanno, fair and balanced. Embrace debate.

Since I can't embed, it's five minutes of relatively empty material, but hey. It's June 16. Knock yourself out. Just take note of one over/under that got a bit out of hand:

Colleen Wolfe: "Let's talk about Todd Gurley. Had over 1,100 rushing yards in just 13 games, so more or less - 1,500 yards in 2016?"

Bryant McFadden: That's a big number. Great player...less. I have to go less. Not based on Todd Gurley, but based on what he will see. This upcoming season on their schedule, they have five teams that were top 10 in rush defense in 2015. Granted, two of these teams are the Seahawks and the Cardinals. They're gonna play them twice. So that's a very, very tough task for Todd Gurley to see especially when teams realize they're facing a rookie quarterback and their best player is their running back, a guy that they will load the box against.

Elliot Harrison: ...I gotta tell ya, they played the Seahawks and Cardinals last year, and I watched Gurley, his first start, ok, go for a buck-fifty on the Cardinals. He ran through them like they weren't even there. That was on the road, and the Rams won that game. I think he is going to pass 1,600 yards easy. Easy. I think he averages over 100 yards again because of all the things that you're talking about. They're gonna have to rely on him. He just may not average as many yards per carry. It may take more attempts.

Now look. It's comfortable to project some kind of improvement for Todd Gurley in 2016. He's incredibly talented, he's charismatic (Carl's Jr.!), and he was the lone bright spot on the Rams' offense last season.

But there's just so much you have to bank on to agree with Harrison.

You've got to assume he stays healthy which is a tough ask for a running back who's likely headed for a top five slot in the carries column in the NFL in 2016.

You've got to assume he finds more consistency in 2016, both on and individual basis and in sync with his offensive line (the latter of which was a much bigger issue in 2015 that seems to not get raised enough since).

But perhaps the biggest impediment to the 1,500 yard mark for Gurley in 2016? Fisherball.

Everybody remembers the four-game stretch from Weeks 4-8 (Week 6 was the Rams' bye in 2015) in which Gurley averaged more than 140 yards per game, exploding onto the NFL scene.

Then reality struck.

Teams started loading up on the Rams in run defense and forcing the passing game to beat them. It rarely happened. The offensive line struggled. Quarterback play was ineffective. The receiving corps lacked sufficient talent to win downfield and open space underneath for Tavon Austin to spread the linebackers out. After that four-game stretch of 140+ yards on average, Gurley averaged just 52 yards per game in the next five games. In three of those games, he registered 12 or less carries. And against the Cincinnati Bengals in Week 12, he carried the ball nine times for 19 yards.

That's what's likely going to keep JTG from 1,500 yards. Not a lack of individual talent. A lack of surrounding talent and sufficient systemic support to take advantage of that individual talent coupled with the inherent risk of missing a couple of games due to injury.

And that's the problem with the Rams. They're pumping up Gurley as the centerpiece of the offense making roster moves that do absolutely nothing in any other facet of the game and hoping that's enough to improve the league's 32nd-ranked offense in yards from 2015 to a degree that bodes success.

He can only do so much as a running back. There's far too much hype being placed on Gurley and really most of the Rams right now.

Jared Goff has already mastered the offense. Gregg Williams has created a "monster" in Alec Ogletree. Everybody is poised for a breakout season. Everyone will improve on their 2015 season. Nobody will regress. Everything is trending up.

And nobody's taking more of that on than Just Todd Gurley.

Given the pace of how much hype is being placed on his shoulders, the unrealistic nature of many of those expectations might need to be pointed out a few more times in the run up to the 2016 season.

DR RAM

Rams Lifer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Rambeau
Personally, I think he was really worn out, and hit the wall the last few games. He wasn't 100% last year, even though at times, he looked like a HOF'er. He, when he stays healthy all year, will blow us all away. He will be incorporated more into the passing game too, which he is working hard at.

I think Todd has a real quiet humble attitude, but a thirst for being one of the best ever, and his teammates love him. I think he can handle whatever comes his way, and I also believe Fisher won't run him into a wall, or too much when he's not feeling it, He will protect him, much as he already showed last year. He'll shoulder what he can, but we all know he isn't Superman...

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
This is his 1st season playing at 100%! He'll be fine!

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think we all learned that a RB can't do it alone. Steven Jackson had more on his plate than Gurley does now imo. Jackson went a career without an OL, QB, Receivers and a top Defense. I guess technically that Gurley played in 13 games, but I see it more as 12 being game 3, his first game, he only posted 6 carries for 9 yards. He also missed the final game of the season.

No doubt Gurley has his work cut out for him, but the mix of young support players will eventually develop the necessary chemistry. And while the Rams gave up most of the better part of next years draft, they will have more CAP money available than any time in the recent past, and we won't have the litany of players like this past year looking towards free agency pay-offs. Tru Johnson, Brockers & TJ McDonald are the big names entering free agency, and Foles, for sure is gone this season. Bubble players like Saffold & Kendricks may come off the rolls if they don't show improvement. We'll have the money to re-sign and/or become free agency players in 2017, ... and as we observed with JJ and McLeod, the Rams won't overpay. jmo.

Last edited:

Roman Snow

H.I.M.
Name
John
Doesn't seem too heavy to me. He'll be a'ight.

Shoulder Pads.jpg

Seriously, though. If anything, the burden this year will be less, with a better passing game. The media are playing up the "rookie quarterback handling off to Gurley all year" angle too much.

Our passing game, and more seasoned and (hopefully healthy) O-line will take burden off of Gurley.

Dodgersrf

Name
Scott
Honestly. I don't think anything is too big for this kid.
We all figured that out his first week in AZ last year. He's a pro.

NateDawg122

Pro Bowler
I think Todd has a real quiet humble attitude, but a thirst for being one of the best ever, and his teammates love him. I think he can handle whatever comes his way, and I also believe Fisher won't run him into a wall, or too much when he's not feeling it, He will protect him, much as he already showed last year. He'll shoulder what he can, but we all know he isn't Superman...

Gurley certainly doesn't talk a lot off the field but he takes on a while different personality on it. He turns into an animal. He had that reputation at Georgia. Once he put that helmet on he was the baddest dude on the field and everyone knew it.

fearsomefour

Legend
I thought Fisher and company did a very good job managin his touches last year.
I expect them to not work him into the ground.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
This offense is going to be far more balanced than anyone realizes. Cooper is going to give them a solid receiving weapon, dude already has buzz in OTAs and the part that favors guys like him--wearing pads where his physical nature can shine--hasn't started yet. The dude is going to start and play well.

IMO we are going to see the rewards of a better offensive staff plus some better players. Look at the weapons on this offense, seriously. The talent level is WAY higher than last year's results, and if it comes together like I suspect it's gonna be an effin explosion.

Rynie

Cowboys rudeboy.
Name
Rynie
As long as they don't run him into the ground and limit his carries some, he'll be alright. History shows when an RB has 370 or more carries a year, the production goes down the next season (hense the reason we didn't over pay Murray). With Goff, I think the rams will be significantly improved, ESPECIALLY with that defense.

jap

Legend
This offense is going to be far more balanced than anyone realizes. Cooper is going to give them a solid receiving weapon, dude already has buzz in OTAs and the part that favors guys like him--wearing pads where his physical nature can shine--hasn't started yet. The dude is going to start and play well.

IMO we are going to see the rewards of a better offensive staff plus some better players. Look at the weapons on this offense, seriously. The talent level is WAY higher than last year's results, and if it comes together like I suspect it's gonna be an effin explosion.

Yeah, guys like rookie Cooper, Tavon, and the veteran fly guys have to step it up early on until the other young receivers catch up around mid-season. They have the important job of balancing the Gurley Express!' efforts while Jerad gets used to NFL game speed. The defense and special teams will also have to be on point while the offense is finding its groove early on.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
When defenses stack the box in order to try and contain TG... it's gonna make things easier on Goff in the passing game.

Defenses will have to pick their poison. My guess is that defenses won't be able to stack the box as much now that we have Goff. He's gonna love it when defenses put too much emphasis on stopping the run. It will be one of the most obvious things for him to read pre-snap.

And TG is still gonna run all over defenses... regardless of what they try to do. We're gonna see him at, or near, 100% for the 1st time in Horns too btw. Can't wait!

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Gurley's bad games last year weren't from teams stacking the box, it was the OL struggling and getting zero help from the QB's.

And @Elmgrovegnome is dead on, we have no idea what the plan for Gurley is going to be. We can assume that he's going to carry the load because Goff is a rookie, but other teams have played rookie QB's and they have thrown plenty. There is this lingering "Fisherball" myth that still makes me chuckle. Fisher was throwing plenty with 2nd and 3rd string QB's.

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I think we all learned that a RB can't do it alone. Steven Jackson had more on his plate than Gurley does now imo. Jackson went a career without an OL, QB, Receivers and a top Defense.
Your right, a RB can't do it alone. But no player can! Then again Dickerson and Faulk did just fine in their Day! And, JMHO, Gurley is a much better back the Jackson. Jackson had a ton of plays were he had 'No gain' or he had 'Minus yardage' because he had no patience in hitting the Hole! again JMHO!!