Is Tavon Austin worth TRADING UP for?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
I'm not a big fan of trading up unless its in the 2nd or 3rd.

And... to be honest; I am probably NOT in favor of trading up for Austin.

But... for the fun of it; if YOU were the GM would you do it?

In order to ensure you get him we probably need to deal with San Diego at #11. This ensures we get in front of Tampa and Carolina the two most likely teams to draft Austin.

(I would suggest deal with Miami at #12, but I don't think they'll answer the phone if St. Louis calls... :lmao: ).

According to the draft value chart; #11 is worth 1250 and #16 is worth 1000. You can argue the trade value chart depending on the depth of the draft... but... to make up the 250 points we'd need to deal #16 plus a 3rd (and maybe plus a late rounder to make up the full 250... but this is where the depth of the draft comes into factor).

In addition, I suppose, you could do it with #16 and Saffold or another player.

So, are you gaga enough for Austin to consider a trade up for him?

Or, is the draft too deep, the Rams needs too great, and the risk of the tiny Austin not worth it?

Rabid Ram

Legend
Name
Dustin
Personally I hope we stay put I like Austin but I dont think we should give draft picks up to get him.

nighttrain

Legend
Much depends of how Fisher see's Cook, TE or Slot, if it's TE realy really want Austin as our replacement for Amendola. If trading up is what takes, do it
train

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
No I would not CGI. I am fully in trade down mode myself. Eye balling those 14 picks of the 9ers coveting some of them for the Rams while hoping one of those hot 34 interior DL'ers falls & drops to us @#16. Thus if that were to occur hoping it would spark a fire under their sore 9er butts to make a wonderful offer.

I would then work on a similar copy of the WR/RB/KR/PR Tavon Austin later.

nighttrain

Legend
BonifayRam said:
No I would not CGI. I am fully in trade down mode myself. Eye balling those 14 picks of the 9ers coveting some of them for the Rams while hoping one of those hot 34 interior DL'ers falls & drops to us @#16. Thus if that were to occur hoping it would spark a fire under their sore 9er butts to make a wonderful offer.

I would then work on a similar copy of the WR/RB/KR/PR Tavon Austin later.

Who do you think could do these things, just asking BR
train

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
As I said; I am not in favor at face value.

But I could be swayed; Austin is a hot mess to account for. We have Cook and Givens who present their own share of mismatches... put Austin into that mix and the defense is going to have their hands full. Pick your poison, so to speak.

You want offense? Get dynamic players. Is Austin one of those guys? And... how much is that worth?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
I like Austin and believe he is probably the favorite WR in this class for the FO and Staff, however I dont think there's a big enough gap in talent between him and Patterson to justify trading up for.

I think Austin will prove to be the exception to the rule, but WRs of his size typically dont have sustainable success in the NFL. That has to put a bit of a dark cloud over him.

I would trade up if there were a Julio Jones, Megatron, AJ Green, Thomas, Bryant, etc in this draft. A complete package type WR.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
libertadrocks said:
I like Austin and believe he is probably the favorite WR in this class for the FO and Staff, however I dont think there's a big enough gap in talent between him and Patterson to justify trading up for.

I think Austin will prove to be the exception to the rule, but WRs of his size typically dont have sustainable success in the NFL. That has to put a bit of a dark cloud over him.

I would trade up if there were a Julio Jones, Megatron, AJ Green, Thomas, Bryant, etc in this draft. A complete package type WR.

Your argument is exactly why I'd sit tight. The media is hyping this guy (Austin). Who knows what the GM's think?

He could fall to 16 and we pass too.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
I say split the cards trade up fom 22 to 12 or better packaging Roger Saffold to get there then trade down from 16 and use the pick we get for that for a safety and our new RT.
IMO Saffold is not with us after this year,strike while the iron is hot .
He's been replaced and WON'T sign for RT money after next yearevn IF he goes to RT peacfully.
I posted this elsewhere, the language Fisher uses, is curious.

He could have said:" I haven't spoken to Roger"
He is reported to have said: "I haven't been able to reach..."
A lot of nuance possible there from an experienced "coach speaker".

IMO Fisher wants the phones to start ringing.

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
CGI_Ram said:
As I said; I am not in favor at face value.

But I could be swayed; Austin is a hot mess to account for. We have Cook and Givens who present their own share of mismatches... put Austin into that mix and the defense is going to have their hands full. Pick your poison, so to speak.

You want offense? Get dynamic players. Is Austin one of those guys? And... how much is that worth?

I think we have to many holes on the roster to sacrifice picks for a player. If we were in a different position, one where we could afford the luxury of trading up because the roster is in good shape, I could see us trading up.

shaunpinney

Hall of Fame
I think our needs are too great to sacrifice picks just for 1 player. If we were 1 guy away from being a great team, then yes, why not, but I think we're far from there...

and the WR pool is deep but if we're looking for a KR/WR/PR then Ace Sanders could be worth a punt (return) in the 5th or 6th...

[youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VSFDAeZ5038[/youtube]

F. Mulder

Starter
I want Austin but I'm against trading Up for ANYONE. This team needs to hit on 3-6 of its picks this year to move forward. Now trading down for good value or having multiple players you like that you know will be there is a different thing. I'm high on trading down out of 22 if the value is there FWIW.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Thordaddy said:
I say split the cards trade up fom 22 to 12 or better packaging Roger Saffold to get there then trade down from 16 and use the pick we get for that for a safety and our new RT.
IMO Saffold is not with us after this year,strike while the iron is hot .
He's been replaced and WON'T sign for RT money after next yearevn IF he goes to RT peacfully.
I posted this elsewhere, the language Fisher uses, is curious.

He could have said:" I haven't spoken to Roger"
He is reported to have said: "I haven't been able to reach..."
A lot of nuance possible there from an experienced "coach speaker".

IMO Fisher wants the phones to start ringing.

I agree with this (sorry to get off topic). I think the Rams could money for the next 4 years if Saffold is traded. Get a RT to pay on the cheap while getting the cap number situation better for this team.

bluecoconuts

Legend
I like Austin, but I wouldn't trade up for him. Especially with the chances that 2-3 QB's will go in the first, if he also goes before 16, then Patterson is likely there, and I'm very happy with him as well.

The only situation I can see trading up for would be packaging Saffold and another pick (2nd or 3rd rounder?) to move up for a tackle, and that's only if Saffold wants to play elsewhere. But if we came out of the first round with 3 picks I'm very happy.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
No. When mock drafts are considering Dion Jordan and Sharrif Floyd to be legitimate top three picks in this class of players, I don't think there's a single player that I would trade up for when you consider need and talent. I'd much rather trade down and get more picks than trade up for one guy, to be quite honest.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Memento said:
No. When mock drafts are considering Dion Jordan and Sharrif Floyd to be legitimate top three picks in this class of players, I don't think there's a single player that I would trade up for when you consider need and talent. I'd much rather trade down and get more picks than trade up for one guy, to be quite honest.

I totally agree with you.

But, I'll keep provoking some debate;

But did Atlanta make a mistake trading up for Julio Jones? They now possess a stud player. They paid to make it happen, but Julio is a game changer for them.

Was it worth it? I don't know? But I'd kind of say "yes".

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
CGI_Ram said:
Memento said:

I totally agree with you.

But, I'll keep provoking some debate;

But did Atlanta make a mistake trading up for Julio Jones? They now possess a stud player. They paid to make it happen, but Julio is a game changer for them.

Was it worth it? I don't know? But I'd kind of say "yes".

I'd say that it was definitely worth it. It's not every day that a team can get a legit number one receiver in this league that has every attribute that Jones has. I'd say that Atlanta was lucky to get him for what they gave up; Cleveland should have stayed right where they were and taken him, in my honest opinion.