Is Tavon Austin “in his own head” a little bit?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Robocop

Pro Bowler
Name
J.
What if he's just not very good? The evidence is there. He struggles making a catch. He is a 1 juke tackle. If you touch him he goes down. As a wr in the passing game he stinks. He does remind me a lot of a RB from Oklahoma. Joe Washington. Run him from the backfield. Right now he has LB's playing a low post basketball game on him. Make them go to him. Don't send him to them.
since when has he had trouble catching this year? he had some drops last year but he's been clean this year making a good handful of 3rd down catches in the slot. one juke tackle? if you touch him he goes down? he still makes multiple ppl miss AND when he runs up the middle he still gashes for a decent number of yards and isn't afraid of taking hits. how can you call him a bad receiver when he never gets the ball? and unless you see a replay we have no idea what kind of routes he's getting while watching it on tv. yea he's had his struggles adjusting but I have to disagree with all of that. straight up saying he's not good when he's played all of 6 games with a starting QB and dealing with Schottenheimer is ridiculous IMO

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
He looks scared to me...Keep giving him hand offs up the middle, put his azz on kickoff returns...as well as punts....maybe we can break him outta this dancing....I've given up hope of him being some big play threat at this point...I'd actually rather see Stedmon in the slot more than TA....

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
I still believe that Tavon was the right choice.
Any team needing offensive weapons would have jumped at the opportunity to have him in the mix.
We were just the team that was able to do it.

Let's not become revisionist historians. It was a fine pick at the time and Tavon has been in a tough situation with an unimaginative OC and back up QBS who lack the arm to find him deep.

No way, do you EVER move up to select a slot-type wr/punt returner....those guys are 2nd-3rd & even UDFA types...You grab freaks....6'3-6'6....235-300 lbs....football is a big mans game....you can mix a few littles in there, but top 10 picks should always be physical specimens...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
No way, do you EVER move up to select a slot-type wr/punt returner....those guys are 2nd-3rd & even UDFA types...You grab freaks....6'3-6'6....235-300 lbs....football is a big mans game....you can mix a few littles in there, but top 10 picks should always be physical specimens...
That used to be the common rule... rules change in the NFL over time.

I don't think one professional out there called the trade and pick a bad move by the Rams at the time.

…..

Legend
That used to be the common rule... rules change in the NFL over time.

I don't think one professional out there called the trade and pick a bad move by the Rams at the time.

Very good point. I live by this rule and always will.

AT THE TIME, the Rams made a bold move that excited the football world. At the time, it was the right move.

badnews

Use Your Illusion
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave

If you knew what Devin Hester would do in the league, where would you draft him?

Tavon isn't a slot reciever/ punt returner.
He is a WR/RB/Slot and STs returner who is faster and quicker than nearly anyone who has played this game.

Yes, his hesitation with the ball in his hands is frustrating, but Schottenheimer’s lack of creativity hasn't helped much either.

Tavon needs work. But I would replace his OC and try again before I would part ways with TA.

Memphis Ram

Legend
If you knew what Devin Hester would do in the league, where would you draft him?

Depends upon the draft class and draft positioning, but I'd guess not with the #8 overall selection in any draft class. And especially if it involved trading up to get there.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
since when has he had trouble catching this year? he had some drops last year but he's been clean this year making a good handful of 3rd down catches in the slot. one juke tackle? if you touch him he goes down? he still makes multiple ppl miss AND when he runs up the middle he still gashes for a decent number of yards and isn't afraid of taking hits. how can you call him a bad receiver when he never gets the ball? and unless you see a replay we have no idea what kind of routes he's getting while watching it on tv. yea he's had his struggles adjusting but I have to disagree with all of that. straight up saying he's not good when he's played all of 6 games with a starting QB and dealing with Schottenheimer is ridiculous IMO

Tavon Austin definitely has trouble catching the ball. His 1 drop(the play he was injured on) in his last 15 games proves that.

Austin is the new Quick. Gotta be a target.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
What does that really mean? Professional...If you looked at Tavon as a college player, he caught a majority of his passes around the LOS....At 5 whatever, didn't that pose some possible difficulties getting him the ball? What professional would think that a player such as this would command 2 prime picks? When we still needed depth all over the roster? It wasn't just a bad move, it was terrible when you consider the lost 2nd round pick...and the way Snisher has drafted...

Are you serious? Hester...He shoulda stayed at corner, he'd have made a bigger impact. ST is a part of the game...but it's only 5-10 plays per game....easily game planned around with directional kicking..Hester is 3rd round at best...since he doesn't play a position, I'd take him in the 5th...

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
What does that really mean? Professional...If you looked at Tavon as a college player, he caught a majority of his passes around the LOS....At 5 whatever, didn't that pose some possible difficulties getting him the ball? What professional would think that a player such as this would command 2 prime picks? When we still needed depth all over the roster? It wasn't just a bad move, it was terrible when you consider the lost 2nd round pick...and the way Snisher has drafted...

Not if the Rams had their starting QB. Bradford's height gives him a much better sight-line over the rush than Davis and Clemens. I don't know anyone that could have anticipated two torn ACLs.

What professional would think that? The ones you just complimented.

Look at the top 10 WRs in yardage...T.Y. Hilton, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders, Steve Smith, Golden Taint, and DeSean Jackson. Austin's size won't stop him from being successful. And watching him in college, it was not unreasonable to think he was worth what the Rams gave up. He's so much more than a gimmick player.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Not if the Rams had their starting QB. Bradford's height gives him a much better sight-line over the rush than Davis and Clemens. I don't know anyone that could have anticipated two torn ACLs.

What professional would think that? The ones you just complimented.

Look at the top 10 WRs in yardage...T.Y. Hilton, Antonio Brown, Emmanuel Sanders , Steve Smith, Golden Taint, and DeSean Jackson. Austin's size won't stop him from being successful. And watching him in college, it was not unreasonable to think he was worth what the Rams gave up. He's so much more than a gimmick player.
whew-weee...
Antonio Brown is a beast...Sanders a monster...Hilton...Smith..Taint....Man, those are all pro's....ok...now it's time to go stats...way back...I gotta go deep...TY
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/ty-hilton-1.html
Antonio Brown
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/antonio-brown-1.html
Emmanuel Sanders
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/emmanuel-sanders-1.html
Golden Taint
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/golden-Taint-1.html
DeSean Jackson
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/desean-jackson-1.html
Steve Smith, Sr.
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/steve-smith-17.html
Okay, I get a quick picture, of lil guys, that some seemed more explosive, basically much high YPC averages...I also get a look & feel, most of these guys had high volume numbers...which hints at durability...the smaller the school, the more catches, runs, punt/kickoff returns...the main thing I noticed, these guys were almost all drafted in the 2nd round or later...
My point, explosive & small playmakers have been around forever, moving up to draft one is totally new...Brandin Cooks is a great player, but is he better than the Brown guy on AZ roster? Is he better than Kenny Stills on his own team? When you draft a player is almost more important than who you draft. You give up a chance to draft an equally valuable/more valuable player with every selection...Trading up made Tavon too valuable, he'd have to perform at an incredible level to be worth the investment..He's not even playing good for a rookie...I'd say he's under performing...
Tavon Austin
http://www.sports-reference.com/cfb/players/tavon-austin-1.html
Main difference....that 8th selection...which cost a 2nd round pick...in as a friend of mine says, "is the ultimate team game"....

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
My point, explosive & small playmakers have been around forever, moving up to draft one is totally new...Brandin Cooks is a great player, but is he better than the Brown guy on AZ roster? Is he better than Kenny Stills on his own team? When you draft a player is almost more important than who you draft. You give up a chance to draft an equally valuable/more valuable player with every selection...Trading up made Tavon too valuable, he'd have to perform at an incredible level to be worth the investment..He's not even playing good for a rookie...I'd say he's under performing...

The game changes.

I don't know if Cooks will be better. None of us do. He was certainly the better prospect and has more natural ability(than Stills and Brown).

Tavon doesn't need to perform at an incredible level. That's ludicrous. If he develops into a 1000+ yard WR, he's worth the pick.

Only 30% of first round picks develop into good or great players. 30% develop into solid or quality starters. 40% end up being busts or disappointments.

People need to stop putting arbitrary standards/expectations onto picks. If Austin becomes a good WR for us, he was more than worth his pick. Trying to play the what if game(we could have had players X and Y) will almost always result in you losing out. Because there will always be some players that become very good or great outside of the first round.

Anyways, I've said more than enough on the Austin topic over the last few months. He'll either pan out or he won't. Like Quick, criticizing him every week for not being what we want him to be right now isn't going to change a thing. He'll get his three years.

LACHAMP46

A snazzy title
Anyways, I've said more than enough on the Austin topic over the last few months. He'll either pan out or he won't. Like Quick, criticizing him every week for not being what we want him to be right now isn't going to change a thing. He'll get his three years.
Agreed, I wasn't criticizing, more stating a fact of why & all the possible scenarios...Expectations placed on top 10 picks are always valid...Why? GM's & coaches get fired for missing on these type of players....Teams lose when you pick terribly in the top half of any draft...fortunes change...
I liked Brian Quick...he was a prospect, in the 2nd round with excellent measurables...It was noted how he came from the small school, small playbook, ex-basketball player...so experience was a major flaw, that would take time to overcome...I heard no such things for Tavon...I would rather compare him to Greg Robinson, and like Robinson, once he got up to speed with the playbook, I'd expected him to perform...that hasn't happened...hence, the why scenarios...

Boffo97

Still legal in 17 states!
Name
Dave
So, are you saying those who didn't think it was a bad pick aren't professional? Or are you wondering who exactly called it a good pick? Or something else entirely?

jap

Legend
Not to pick on you but this statement is puzzling to me and I've seen it used many times to try to explain why AD has been struggling.

Drew Brees - 6'
Aaron Rodgers - 6' 2"
Matthew Stafford - 6' 2"
RGIII - 6' 2"

I wonder when they have a bad game if fans on message boards of those teams rationalize that it's because of their height that they're struggling? The difference I see between AD and the above mentioned QB's is that they all have strong arms and he doesn't. It's not his height that's causing problems for him, it's his weak arm and his inexperience.

The height contributes to his problems seeing downfield because AD is not nearly as adroit as shorter NFL QB's at sliding around in the pocket to buy time and gain clear viewing paths downfield. Nor does he have the rapport with his receivers to know where they should be on timing patterns so he could throw with confidence even if he can't see them.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
The height contributes to his problems seeing downfield because AD is not nearly as adroit as shorter NFL QB's at sliding around in the pocket to buy time and gain clear viewing paths downfield. Nor does he have the rapport with his receivers to know where they should be on timing patterns so he could throw with confidence even if he can't see them.

Bonus points for using the word 'adroit.' :)

AD is quite slippery compared to Bradford or Hill. In fact, he'd be on IR by now if it hadn't been for that. As far as the last sentence of your post, that goes to inexperience which I mentioned earlier.

jrry32

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I liked Brian Quick...he was a prospect, in the 2nd round with excellent measurables...It was noted how he came from the small school, small playbook, ex-basketball player...so experience was a major flaw, that would take time to overcome...I heard no such things for Tavon...I would rather compare him to Greg Robinson, and like Robinson, once he got up to speed with the playbook, I'd expected him to perform...that hasn't happened...hence, the why scenarios...

Tavon played in an Air Raid offense that didn't have a NFL route tree. It's definitely something he has to overcome. Schottenheimer has one of the most complex and dense playbooks. It takes WRs more time than OLs typically because their job is so closely linked to the QB. Neither are simple to learn but it usually takes WRs longer to transition.

As I've said many times before, small WRs take longer than big WRs to adjust.

jap

Legend
Bonus points for using the word 'adroit.' :)

AD is quite slippery compared to Bradford or Hill. In fact, he'd be on IR by now if it hadn't been for that. As far as the last sentence of your post, that goes to inexperience which I mentioned earlier.

Sure, his inexperience is a huge part of it. Bree is shorter than AD, but he is a master at sliding around in the pocket and maneuvering himself into finding clear sight lines---in fact, he is one of the NFL's best at doing so. Experienced NFL color commentators (usually ex-players) have openly marveled at Drew's ability to move around and get things done despite his much less than ideal height to see clearly if he was a classic pocket passer.

AD moves, but he is normally on the run, bolting away from the oncoming pass rush. How often have we already seen him miss targets that were either clearly wide open (lack of experiential rapport with his receivers' patterns) or widely under-/overthrowing the rock (weak arm and/or poor control on the run)? He is at his best when he can step into his throws and sling that ball with optimal accuracy. Feeling he has to move and pass simultaneously throws off all his mechanics.

Prime Time

PT
Name
Peter
AD moves, but he is normally on the run, bolting away from the oncoming pass rush. How often have we already seen him miss targets that were either clearly wide open (lack of experiential rapport with his receivers' patterns) or widely under-/overthrowing the rock (weak arm and/or poor control on the run)? He is at his best when he can step into his throws and sling that ball with optimal accuracy. Feeling he has to move and pass simultaneously throws off all his mechanics.

And apparently throwing while running to his right is a weakness as proven in the 49ers game. So I'm guessing the Cardinals and all other teams will attempt to flush him out of the pocket to his right to capitalize on that. Schottenheimer should have some plays designed to counteract that strategy. Football is after all a game of chess strategy-wise.

jap

Legend
And apparently throwing while running to his right is a weakness as proven in the 49ers game. So I'm guessing the Cardinals and all other teams will attempt to flush him out of the pocket to his right to capitalize on that. Schottenheimer should have some plays designed to counteract that strategy. Football is after all a game of chess strategy-wise.

Now that AD has demonstrated he has some potential, he has to seriously work on his footwork, upper & overall body strength, and between-the-ears QB 'exercising' this off-season. It's painful to see that type of accuracy go South within two plays of the same game. Somehow Beetlejuice and Gregzilla must take it upon themselves to lead the Horns rushing wall for our RB's, if only to ease the pressure on our beleaguered 'rookie' QB. The ability to effectively use play action passing can be a worthwhile boost to the young kid.

Let Zac the mini-Mack (truck) and Benny & his jets challenge the Cards defensive wall straight on. Let Tre challenge them everywhere, including stretching them at the edges with his speed, quickness, and sheer toughness. If one of these young kids seriously challenges the century mark, it could put some serious doubt into the Cards' D. If our running game is effective enough to slow down that pass rush, it will only add to AD's comfort zone, which is always a good thing.