Is Seattle's Stadium really "that loud"?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Why is it so loud?

• Good fans

Votes: 6 27.3%
  • Good stadium design

Votes: 4 18.2%
  • They pump in noise

Votes: 7 31.8%
  • It is not any louder than another other "winning team" stadium

Votes: 5 22.7%

• Total voters

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
So, every talks about Seattle being a tough home stadium. Why is that?

bluecoconuts

Legend
It's designed to keep in noise and funnel it back to the field, that's why it has that goofy look. Like an opera house, it's about acoustics. I've also heard they pump in sound from people who've been there.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
bluecoconuts said:
It's designed to keep in noise and funnel it back to the field, that's why it has that goofy look. Like an opera house, it's about acoustics. I've also heard they pump in sound from people who've been there.

Is that even legal??? If so why doesn't every team do that...

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Angry Ram said:
bluecoconuts said:

Is that even legal??? If so why doesn't every team do that...
They did it when I was at the Miami game. It was SO loud; and as I was looking around, nobody was standing, nobody was cheering, and nobody was even moving. That's horse shit.

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
I've been to many games and that place is loud. Fans never sit down and they are totally into it on every play. Even when they have a losing season. I don't buy the stadium design much. It's open air, how much effect can the design have?

libertadrocks

Hall of Fame
GcBean said:
I've been to many games and that place is loud. Fans never sit down and they are totally into it on every play. Even when they have a losing season. I don't buy the stadium design much. It's open air, how much effect can the design have?

+1000.... Its the fans. They yell, scream, and never sit down. Its 100% fandom. No way around it. Just wish most StL fans would exhibit similar enthusiasm

GcBean

Rookie
Name
Gil
Angry Ram said:
Well, w/e. The Rams will shut em up next week.

Yes! The Rams can walk in there and take over if they game plan and execute. Fisher will have something in store for them. The question is, can the players execute the plan. I predict one hell of a game with the Rams winning.

wild0409

UDFA
To you guys that actually voted for "Pumped in Noise". Not done. This accusation was leveled against us, and that would be illegal per NFL Rules. The NFL did a thorough investigation, and it was deemed false.
YES.... Our owner, Paul Allen, had the new stadium designed to reflect crowd noise down to the field. Completely legal under league rules. It was done to continue our tradition up here of the 12th Man, which was started in our old ugly-ass concrete Kingdome that was excellent at amplifying crowd noise. The team retired the #12 in honor of the fans, and we take that sh it seriously up here. LOUD AS HELL when the opposing offense is on the field, and quiet as a mouse when we're on offense. We are simply the most disciplined fans in the NFL, and I can't understand why fans from other teams don't follow our lead. Raven's fans are starting to catch on to how we, as fans, can actually affect the outcome of games. But no piped in noise is required, and we don't do it here in Seattle. It's all human lungs baby! LOUD AND PROUD!!! And you're team is gonna feel it here right directly... Good luck.

And trust me, Me and several of my Seahawks buddies are worried about your team. With your improved play and all those 1st rounders coming up, us and the Niners are going to face stiff opposition from ya'll. NFC West, weakest division MY ASS!!! We're gonna be the strongest in all of football right directly! Here's to a great rivalry upcoming! :bangin:

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
Yeah it's the stadium AND the fans , and frankly it aught not be.

It's so loud there watching on TV someitmes it's difficult to take the din and even to hear the ref. explaining calls at times.

When I started watching football they had rules that gave the officials the discretion to stop the clock and ask for quiet so the opposing team could at least hear and to eventualy call unsportsmanlike conduct on the home team if the fans didn't quiet down.
If I were coaching a team going in there ,I'd tell the refs. I don't want calls for late hits if my players can't hear the whistle and I don't want people being hurt on my team for the same reason.
IMO the game long assault on the senses for everyone there is unhealthy and the GB game was ended the way it was because of the unfair advantage the noise gives and the intimidation factor on the refs.

It's NOT football.piped in noise or not ,someone is going to sue the league and the Seahawks over it causing an injury, it's something that has gone too far.

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
wild0409 said:
To you guys that actually voted for "Pumped in Noise". Not done. This accusation was leveled against us, and that would be illegal per NFL Rules. The NFL did a thorough investigation, and it was deemed false.
YES.... Our owner, Paul Allen, had the new stadium designed to reflect crowd noise down to the field. Completely legal under league rules. It was done to continue our tradition up here of the 12th Man, which was started in our old ugly-ass concrete Kingdome that was excellent at amplifying crowd noise. The team retired the #12 in honor of the fans, and we take that sh it seriously up here. LOUD AS HELL when the opposing offense is on the field, and quiet as a mouse when we're on offense. We are simply the most disciplined fans in the NFL, and I can't understand why fans from other teams don't follow our lead. Raven's fans are starting to catch on to how we, as fans, can actually affect the outcome of games. But no piped in noise is required, and we don't do it here in Seattle. It's all human lungs baby! LOUD AND PROUD!!! And you're team is gonna feel it here right directly... Good luck.

And trust me, Me and several of my Seahawks buddies are worried about your team. With your improved play and all those 1st rounders coming up, us and the Niners are going to face stiff opposition from ya'll. NFC West, weakest division MY ASS!!! We're gonna be the strongest in all of football right directly! Here's to a great rivalry upcoming! :bangin:
Yes, I remember in the days of the GSOT other teams accused the Rams of pumping in crowd noise. Same thing in Seattle. Even though it's open air, apparently 70% of the stadium capacity is under a roof, which was specifically designed to reflect the noise back onto the field. It was well designed as far as football stadiums go. I think when the reputation goes out there about the "12th man", it just gets the fans even more excited and this brings about even more noise from the fans.

On your other point, I agree that the NFC West is going to become the toughest division to play in. The 49ers, Seahawks, and Rams are going to have very, tough, physically dominating teams and no one will want to play our division. The defenses over here are going to be shut down types. I'm not sure how much longer the 49ers will be so dominating, because they are getting up there in age, but the Seahawks and Rams will be very strong for many years to come. I think the rivalry is about to be renewed in earnest.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
wild0409 said:

Man, I don't know how to feel right now. You're quite the cordial fan and seem like a nice guy.
But part of me wants to eat your liver with some fava beans and a nice Chianti. sff fff fff ff.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
wild0409 said:

This is what I love about the NFL. It grabs fans by the heart and fills them with emotion. We are all passionate... and here comes a fan (from a division rival) reading our board and making a post. My hat is off to you.

You seem like a good person and there are plenty of good fans in Seattle as well. You have a nice defense and its hard to root against a guy like Russell Wilson.

Saying that, however, causes a bit of internal strife. I really hate the Seahawks. :lmao:

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
libertadrocks said:
GcBean said:

+1000.... Its the fans. They yell, scream, and never sit down. Its 100% fandom. No way around it. Just wish most StL fans would exhibit similar enthusiasm

Yeah - I've been to several games there. The fans and that stadium are really that loud. They have some great fans but also some of the biggest a-hole front runners I have seen as well. I think the best way I can say for sure that they don't pump in noise is that game in 2004 when we came back from 17 points down with 5 minutes left. It got REAL quiet after Brandon caught the TD. When we got the ball back, virtually everyone (besides us) was in their seats gripping - especially as Curtis was sprinting to the endzone. It got a little loud when Wilkins went on to kick the tying FG but not near as loud as it was for 3+ quarters. OT was so obviously a mix of nervous noise. The 12th man was no issue at all.

The Rams just need to smack them in the teeth a few times and the noise should be completely manageable. Of course this team is looking really good right now (ack... just threw up in my mouth a bit) so the fans may need to get smacked a lot.

PowayRamFan

Hall of Fame
Thordaddy said:
Yeah it's the stadium AND the fans , and frankly it aught not be.

It's so loud there watching on TV someitmes it's difficult to take the din and even to hear the ref. explaining calls at times.

When I started watching football they had rules that gave the officials the discretion to stop the clock and ask for quiet so the opposing team could at least hear and to eventualy call unsportsmanlike conduct on the home team if the fans didn't quiet down.
If I were coaching a team going in there ,I'd tell the refs. I don't want calls for late hits if my players can't hear the whistle and I don't want people being hurt on my team for the same reason.
IMO the game long assault on the senses for everyone there is unhealthy and the GB game was ended the way it was because of the unfair advantage the noise gives and the intimidation factor on the refs.

It's NOT football.piped in noise or not ,someone is going to sue the league and the Seahawks over it causing an injury, it's something that has gone too far.

You know, I had totally forgot about the refs waiting for the crowd to be quiet, and even calling penalties. Personally, I am fine with the fans providing an advantage for their team, if anything I'm just jealous.