Is Sam Bradford’s career in the NFL pretty much over?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Is Sam Bradford’s career in the NFL pretty much over?

The former Minnesota Vikings quarterback still hasn’t signed with a new team this offseason since he was let go by the Arizona Cardinals last November.

18 quarterbacks have been signed to new deals since the 2019 free agency period officially began back in March, including Sean Mannion deciding to join the Minnesota Vikings.

One passer who remains unsigned though is former Vikings signal-caller Sam Bradford. Still only 31-years-old, Bradford is coming off a 2018 campaign that saw him get let go by the Arizona Cardinals midway through the season after a few pretty forgetful performances.

The fact that the former Minnesota quarterback has yet to sign with a new team this year may be an indication of his time in the NFL coming to a close sooner than later.

When guys like Mannion, Tom Savage, Brett Hundley, and Landry Jones are getting opportunities over Bradford, it seems a bit odd. The former Vikings passer hasn’t even been rumored to join another team this offseason.

If Bradford has had any offers this year, they probably weren’t like any of the previous contracts he’s signed during his career in the league.

In nine seasons, the veteran quarterback has earned more than $129 million and he’s never signed a deal with a team for less than $20 million. Based on his recent health and performance, Bradford would be lucky to get an offer for more than $5 million per year at this point in his football career.

Even that amount seems a little too high for someone who has more interceptions (four) than wins (two) in his last two seasons.

To continue playing in the NFL, Bradford’s best bet right now would be as a backup. However, this may be too tough of a pill for the former No. 1 draft pick to swallow and he might decide to just end his career in the league instead.

If Bradford is able to suck it up and relish the opportunity to be a backup, he could probably extend his time in the NFL for a number of years. Maybe the former Minnesota quarterback could even have some sort of career renaissance down the road when he’s called upon to fill in for a team’s starter.

For now though, Bradford remains unsigned and it’s possible that it will stay that way forever.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I went digging trying to see what he’s up to.

Bradford would seem a really good backup at this point, I would think. He might not have the desire to play any longer, I guess. Certainly doesn’t need the money.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
What a horrible writer. How many times did he write "Bradford" in that fucking piece? That all could have been summed up in a paragraph if not a sentence. Try listing his wins per million earned. Nuff said.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
What a horrible writer. How many times did he write "Bradford" in that fucking piece? That all could have been summed up in a paragraph if not a sentence. Try listing his wins per million earned. Nuff said.

:D Hadn’t really noticed that until you pointed it out.

I wish there was a quote from Sam or something. It doesn’t realLy say why he’s not playing.

Faceplant

Still celebrating Superbowl LVI
Rams On Demand Sponsor
2023 ROD Pick'em Champion
:D Hadn’t really noticed that until you pointed it out.

I wish there was a quote from Sam or something. It doesn’t realLy say why he’s not playing.
He may have hurt his back hauling all of that Rams/Viking/Cardinal loot around his mansion.

It's also possible that tripped over his shadow and blew out another knee.

@-X- be hatin him some me right about now, lolz.

P. S. I still have two Bradford jerseys that are free to anyone that wants them!!!

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
It’s certainly not because he kneeled during the National Anthem.

Gotta have a knee to do that.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I went digging trying to see what he’s up to.

Bradford would seem a really good backup at this point, I would think. He might not have the desire to play any longer, I guess. Certainly doesn’t need the money.

i think it was pretty obvious when he played the rams last season that he had given up. did he actually throw the ball past the line of scrimmage in that game?

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
Simply bringing up the topic of Bradford made me wonder. . .

That guy probably would have thrived with Mcvay.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Still a Sam Bradford fan. He would've panned out if if weren't for his knee.

Still will never understand how people can hold the rookie contract against him, when it was simply the way the system was implemented.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
That guy probably would have thrived with Mcvay.

IDK, Bradford's modus operandi was he could not stay healthy and it was not always his fault, but that is what squashed his career.

When it came to the injury front, Bradford was unlucky and that doomed his career. Plus at the end, he only would look for the check downs, not throwing Int's, but also, not completing big plays.

His last year in Arizona put everything into proper perspective, but as unlucky Bradford was with health, he was very fortunate financially. He was the last rookie to get the big contract before the new CBA. His agent continued to be the best agent on the planet and get him paid for nothing.

So now Bradford has all the money he needs and I don't expect to hear his name again because he will have other things to do like his music for example and I don't see football in his future and the one win I would give back was in 2011, when the Rams got lucky on a bad snap by the Cleveland Browns, which led to a miss FG of 20 yards and a Ram victory of 13-12 enabling the Colts to get the first pick in the 2012 draft based on strength of schedule.

If the Rams lose that game, they draft Andrew Luck and trade Bradford to Cleveland, who was coveted by Browns President of Operations Mike Holmgren, who proved to be one of the worst executives, but a better Head Coach and the Rams could have drafted Andrew Luck and traded Bradford, but Yesterday is such an easy game to play.

A.J. Hicks

Hall of Fame
Name
zoomy
IDK, Bradford's modus operandi was he could not stay healthy and it was not always his fault, but that is what squashed his career.

When it came to the injury front, Bradford was unlucky and that doomed his career. Plus at the end, he only would look for the check downs, not throwing Int's, but also, not completing big plays.

His last year in Arizona put everything into proper perspective, but as unlucky Bradford was with health, he was very fortunate financially. He was the last rookie to get the big contract before the new CBA. His agent continued to be the best agent on the planet and get him paid for nothing.

So now Bradford has all the money he needs and I don't expect to hear his name again because he will have other things to do like his music for example and I don't see football in his future and the one win I would give back was in 2011, when the Rams got lucky on a bad snap by the Cleveland Browns, which led to a miss FG of 20 yards and a Ram victory of 13-12 enabling the Colts to get the first pick in the 2012 draft based on strength of schedule.

If the Rams lose that game, they draft Andrew Luck and trade Bradford to Cleveland, who was coveted by Browns President of Operations Mike Holmgren, who proved to be one of the worst executives, but a better Head Coach and the Rams could have drafted Andrew Luck and traded Bradford, but Yesterday is such an easy game to play.

He had the shoulder issues coming into the league and quelled them

Then he had the vicious knee injury in the preseason game that seemingly derailed his career. Are there injuries that I am forgetting?

He's certainly set financially. He not only came into the league with the last big rookie contract but he managed to get a few more big deals along the way.

Andrew Luck also dealt with endless injuries and led to his choice in retirement.

Angry Ram

Captain RAmerica Original Rammer
Then he had the vicious knee injury in the preseason game that seemingly derailed his career. Are there injuries that I am forgetting?

High ankle in 2011. Bad OL; some defender pushed an o-linemen into Sam.

I like Rams

Hall of Fame
Pretty sure there was an article about his knee and it degenerating. He's not getting better so why would an org risk the money?

Akrasian

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I'm sure he's in constant pain at this stage. Working to be in football shape can't help that. Better for him to reduce the weight a little, put less stress on his knee working out, and spend his time appreciating life and letting the dividends come in.

After the Cards cut him, he had a chance to rest and enjoy life while not having to spend his time painfully rehabbing. Since he got $15 million plus from them, even without all of his previous earnings he should be set for life. Let him enjoy it.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
Ugh.......Bradford. What a mistake that was.

He was never anything but average at best but the Rams picked him, and we all had high hopes.

When I think of Bradford I think..........inaccurate unless it was behind the LOS which lead to low YPA, couldn't read defenses, could not avoid injury.

What a difference the right QB makes paired with the right play caller makes.

yrba1

Mild-mannered Rams fan
I gave Bradford the benefit of the doubt throughout his tenure with us. When I witnessed Goff's rookie season, I was worried that history would repeat itself. Hard to sympathize with Bradford though knowing how much he made being the poster child of absurd rookie contracts and how little he contributed out of it.