Is Ryan Wendell the most important part on the Rams offensive line?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
L.A. hires 37 year-old with only four years of coaching experience
1433221474.0.jpg

After the Los Angeles Rams offensive line debacle last season and the 5-12 record that ensued, it came as no surprise when Head Coach Sean McVay decided to replace Kevin Carberry as offensive line coach. The surprise came when L.A. announced the hiring of Ryan Wendell for the role, a 37 year-old with four seasons as an NFL coach. Actually, four total seasons in coaching.

Wendell played for nine NFL seasons and retired after the 2016 season. He spent two years away from the pro game before starting his coaching career as an offensive assistant with the Buffalo Bills in 2019. He was elevated to assistant line coach in 2020 and remained in that role until the Rams lured him away. Wendell played under legendary offensive line coach Dante Scarnecchia and cut his coaching teeth under Bobby Johnson and Aaron Kromer. Yes, that Aaron Kromer, the Rams former offensive line leader who came to L.A. with Sean McVay in 2017 and was pushed out after 2020 season.

Integrating those three different personalities and styles into his own philosophy is Wendell’s task. All three of his mentors have one thing in common, they demand aggressive, physical linemen. Scarneccia was a drill sergeant, working relentlessly on technique and preaching a full, physical effort to get the unit working in cohesion. When it didn’t happen, he thought nothing of equally chewing ass on UDFA’s or high-priced stars. Johnson began his career as a tight ends coach and is known for pass blocking acumen. His run game philosophy is simple, move the defender, whether it’s backwards off the line of scrimmage on inside runs or horizontal displacement on wide runs. Kromer is a footwork fanatic, getting linemen into position to turn, seal, and drive defenders. He also teaches aggressive hand work (chops on defenders reach) to counter length and gain the control edge. In the pass game, he likes the offensive line to aggressively take on speed rushers at the point of attack rather than back into protection or rely on slide steps, giving athletic rushers less room to use their speed.

What will Wendell’s influence be?

Fans should expect a different style of offensive line play, with Wendell’s background, physicality should be the calling card. The Rams braintrust seemed to tip this off with their draft strategy, selecting two tough, hard-nosed players. Both can create movement, Steve Avila with mass and power and Warren McClendon with his footwork and hand use. Even the UDFAs were more about power than finesse.
With Wendell’s background as a UDFA that faced long odds and earned his way into a starting position, hard work and effort should be in large supply. But the truth is, this is his first season leading a unit and how he relates in that leadership role will remain to be played out. It would appear that in the background of his ascent, he was around coaches who wanted the best performers to see the field, no matter their draft pedigree or veteran/salary status.

The Rams do have a lot of linemen with starting experience and the versatility to move up and down the line. Wendell must sort it all out and decide who are the best five, and get them working together as a unit. Having the whole line seeing the game through the same set of eyes is what all his mentors strived for. Tough decisions may have to be made, veterans, particularly those with injury backgrounds, may have to take a back seat. OTAs are the wrong place to try and project who’s in and out, but when camp starts, those first five in workouts are likely entrenched.

The status of the Rams current offensive line

While no one could predict the injury cluster that would beset the 2022 Rams, reactionary changes to a 5-12 record were inevitable. The domino effect signs began to appear soon after L.A. reached the NFL pinnacle and won Super Bowl LVI. Cornerstone left tackle Andrew Whitworth hung up his cleats, guard Austin Corbett bolted to the Carolina Panthers for a free agent payday, the contracts of oft-injured Brian Allen and Joseph Noteboom were extended and finally, top draft pick Logan Bruss was lost for the season early in preseason.

According to Football Outsiders, the Rams used 14 different linemen in 13 different lineups. Their longest stretch of the same lineup of Ty Nsekhe, Matt Skura, Brian Allen, Coleman Shelton and Rob Havenstein was three games, from Week 13 through Week 15. Nsekhe and Skura are no longer in the NFL. How important is continuity? In the McVay years, the Rams have finished 1st, 1st, 12th, 2nd, 7th, and 32nd in offensive line continuity. Their record when in the Top 10 of this stat category is 46-15 against 14-29 when not.

The Rams have nine returning linemen and seven of those, Allen, Tremayne Anchrum, AJ Arcuri, Havenstein, Alaric Jackson, Noteboom, and Shelton have NFL starts. Logan Bruss missed the whole season with a knee injury and Zachary Thomas was a late season practice squad poach from the Chicago Bears.

Going back to Wendell’s playing days

Back in 2008, Wendell was signed as an undrafted free agent center/guard out of Fresno State by the New England Patriots and spent his rookie year on the practice squad. It was more of the same in 2009, until being added to roster for the final three games of the season. In 2010 and 2011, he stuck on the opening roster, was a special teams stalwart, and earned five starts. From 2012 through 2014, Wendell won starting roles and played in 3400+ offensive snaps and was the starting center for Patriots 2014 Super Bowl winning squad

He was voted a team captain in 2015, but suffered a mystery illness that started him on the PUP (physically unable to perform) List and shelved him for the first five games. I could find no official reports on what the malaise was, just that it was a personal medical problem. He also reportedly had a knee injury later in the season. Whatever happened, it effectively ended his career. Late in 2016, he signed with Carolina Panthers, but was only active in one game and logged one special teams snap.

Conclusions

Although inexperienced as an NFL coach, Wendell has parlayed the climb-up from-the-bottom grit and work ethic from his playing days into a top assistant coach’s role on one of the NFL’s highest profile offenses. His mentors all have successful pedigrees and he must have impressed the Rams with what he has absorbed from them in the past and how he plans to apply it in the future.

As far as on-field production, it wouldn’t take much to show an improvement over last years effort. With so many fans and experts thinking this is a rebuild/reset year and L.A. will struggle, even an incremental upgrade like having the youngsters show consistent improvement from Day 1 throughout the season shouldl be considered a win.

I don’t agree with that narrative. The Rams have the quarterback, weapons and scheme to score points. If the offensive line gets back to its Top 10 past the offense will be formidable and score points. And by Top 10, I mean season-long lineup continuity, not subjective media pundit ratings.

Identifying, installing and somehow keeping the health of the line is the key to any Rams 2023 success and why I think that Ryan Wendell is the most important part on the L.A. offensive line.

460968618.jpg

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
Interesting hire by McVay, for Some reason Aaron Kromer & McVay had a parting of the ways, but Kromer's son Zak stayed with the Rams and is now the Assistant Offensive Line Coach. McVay then hires Aaron Kromer's understudy from Buffalo although as the article points out, Wendell (Coach Wendy) served on the master Dante Scarneccia plus Bobby Johnson & Kromer so that is quite the triumphant of Offensive Line Coaches.

Have a feeling that McVay was looking to get more physical and Wendell seems to fit the profile. Wendell wanted Steve Avila very badly the first brick in rebuilding Rome. Rams never really drafted Guards that high and certainly not the size that Avila is, so all of us are hoping that the Offensive Line can lead the way to greener Akers in the running game plus protecting our elder statesman at Quarterback.

oldnotdead

Legend
I absolutely feel that Wendell's abilities as a positional coach will be the key to the success or lack thereof of the offense. Everything the offense does starts with the five guys up front. I honestly believe what I've been told years ago that poor technique is the major cause of OL injuries. The amount of injuries suffered by the OL last year is beyond coincidental. That is why Carberry was fired.

Wendell as a former OL player in the NFL has the perfect resume for the job. Particularly as a former OG and Center. This OL is a mixture of vets and rookies but the only thing they have in common is that they are young (with the exception of Havenstein). I like what I've heard about Wendell, an UDFA who became a starter and team captain. He knows what it takes to make it in the NFL, and he knows how to lead.

Of all the hires Wendell is in a position to be among the most consequential. I don't think he will fail, in fact I could see him coaching the Ram OL for years. It's why I've been so high on this team. If Wendell is successful in welding a good unit out of these young guys, and Lake and Pleasant can change the way the secondary plays zone schemes, this team is setup for long term success. This is why the coaches more than any other season will make or break this team. I think they will be successful.

This Rams team is going to surprise a whole lot of people. Take the over bet on their record I am and Wendell is a big reason why.

PARAM

Hall of Fame
Interesting hire by McVay, for Some reason Aaron Kromer & McVay had a parting of the ways, but Kromer's son Zak stayed with the Rams and is now the Assistant Offensive Line Coach. McVay then hires Aaron Kromer's understudy from Buffalo although as the article points out, Wendell (Coach Wendy) served on the master Dante Scarneccia plus Bobby Johnson & Kromer so that is quite the triumphant of Offensive Line Coaches.

Have a feeling that McVay was looking to get more physical and Wendell seems to fit the profile. Wendell wanted Steve Avila very badly the first brick in rebuilding Rome. Rams never really drafted Guards that high and certainly not the size that Avila is, so all of us are hoping that the Offensive Line can lead the way to greener Akers in the running game plus protecting our elder statesman at Quarterback.
Yeah, I thought the same thing. Oddly enough, I've read some fans opinions on Kromer that weren't very positive. I thought he was a terrific OL coach. Apparently, McVay does too.

LARAMSinFeb.

Hall of Fame
“Their record when in the Top 10 of this stat category is 46-15 against 14-29 when not.” Such a telling stat. I’m so glad Avila was our fist pick. We were in desperate need of some physicality up front.

jap

Legend
 I wonder if Coach Wendy will look past Boom's big contract to his actual effectiveness on the field in both pass and run blocking. We need to drive defenders backward or sideways to clear a path for Akers to roam to daylight. When is the last time Matthew was able to consistently step up into the pocket to launch surgical strike missiles into or behind defensive walls? With a solid OL up front, Tutu becomes an important factor in Matthew's weapons arsenal.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If he's good he will be crucial. Top OL coaching definitely makes a difference. But let's wait and see if he can field a unit that is ready game one. That was his predecessor's problem.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

The story about this coach and the physical nature with which he wants his Olinemen to play is what I have been waiting for. In another thread I predicted 9 wins for the Rams, mostly due to a much improved offensive line.....which should result in offensive success. Plus, he might work with Havenstein on his footwork, making oldnotdead clamor for re-upping Big Rob!

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
I honestly believe what I've been told years ago that poor technique is the major cause of OL injuries. The amount of injuries suffered by the OL last year is beyond coincidental. That is why Carberry was fired.

But Carberry was also the OL-coach in 2021 when the O-Line enjoyed excellent health.

oldnotdead

Legend
The OL was in injury trouble before the season started and it only got worse. Edwards should not have been playing LG he is a total JAG. Their run blocking was crap. There were a lot of reasons a change needed to be made. Was he a fall guy for poor player acquisition? Perhaps but we don't know what input he had in that process. Given the clear input Wendell has been given I think Carberry had more than we realize. If you want a dancing bear at OG then you draft an OG dancing bear, you don't make one out of an OT. Transitioning an OT to OG is no sure thing. Not all OTs can make the transition because the techniques are totally different. Most OTs are OTs because they struggle to play low with leverage. That's why if they want to play McClendon at OG they need to give him a redshirt year to develop the required techniques and understand it's no sure thing.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
The OL was in injury trouble before the season started and it only got worse. Edwards should not have been playing LG he is a total JAG. Their run blocking was crap. There were a lot of reasons a change needed to be made. Was he a fall guy for poor player acquisition? Perhaps but we don't know what input he had in that process. Given the clear input Wendell has been given I think Carberry had more than we realize. If you want a dancing bear at OG then you draft an OG dancing bear, you don't make one out of an OT. Transitioning an OT to OG is no sure thing. Not all OTs can make the transition because the techniques are totally different. Most OTs are OTs because they struggle to play low with leverage. That's why if they want to play McClendon at OG they need to give him a redshirt year to develop the required techniques and understand it's no sure thing.

I call BS,but we’ll see how it all plays out.Zak Kromer has a say in some of this as well.Him & his dad ok’d Wendell as the O”Line coach.

—LMAO ,Mcvay said he can’t wait to see Noteboom healthy whether it’s playing inside or at Tackle. Funny no one picked that up in his last interview.

I don’t know what that means,but I’m bia-curious

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

Very interesting hire, and as the article indicates, very inexperienced as a coach.

Lots of quality tutelage along the way… Toughness would be a great mindset, but I would like to hear from him more about his approach to play besides toughness (which was implied, actually).

The freshness of this team will be fun to watch.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Very interesting hire, and as the article indicates, very inexperienced as a coach.

Lots of quality tutelage along the way… Toughness would be a great mindset, but I would like to hear from him more about his approach to play besides toughness (which was implied, actually).

The freshness of this team will be fun to watch.
There is no doubt that he learned under three superior Offensive Line Coaches and might have played for the best Offensive Line Coach in NFL History in Dante Scarnecchia. IMO, it will be about effort & toughness I concur I would like to hear Wendell get interviewed and talk about scheme, but it appears Wendell does factor in size with the addition of Avila & Warren McClendon so that is an area I felt the Rams were lacking in so hopefully it adds some more push in the run game.

Juice

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I wonder if McVay thinks that the younger players will respond faster to a younger coach.

den-the-coach

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
I wonder if McVay thinks that the younger players will respond faster to a younger coach.
I do think having played the game at their level helps, no you still need to communicate, teach & develop, but I have to believe if you actually played the game and had success at that level, it gets you some buy in or creditability from the younger players.

Ram65

Legend
Fans should expect a different style of offensive line play, with Wendell’s background, physicality should be the calling card. The Rams braintrust seemed to tip this off with their draft strategy, selecting two tough, hard-nosed players. Both can create movement, Steve Avila with mass and power and Warren McClendon with his footwork and hand use. Even the UDFAs were more about power than finesse.

About time.

thirteen28

I like pizza.
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Erik
There's some good stuff about the shift in OL philosophy and the Wendell hire in the Q and A of the latest 11 Personnel podcast.

One interesting little tidbit - Shelton was taking snaps at C with the 1's in OTAs.

Tumak61

Pro Bowler
Name
Tumak61
Read somewhere recently that Shelton has the edge over Allen as the starting Center. Hard to see Allen on the final roster if that's the case because he doesn't really have the versatility to backup the Guard position. Could mean Allen will be released or traded at some point.

Tano

Legend
Read somewhere recently that Shelton has the edge over Allen as the starting Center. Hard to see Allen on the final roster if that's the case because he doesn't really have the versatility to backup the Guard position. Could mean Allen will be released or traded at some point.
Wouldn't surprise me since I have huge concerns about Allen's durability