Is Omar Khan one of the Rams GM finalists?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

paceram

Pro Bowler
I read that the Rams have supposedly narrowed their GM search to two or three candidates and could make a final decision before the end of next week. Omar Khan seems to be a very sharp young man (especially concerning the salary cap situation) and someone who really seems to be on the rise in the NFL managemt business. From what I have read he has been highly endorsed by Bill Cowher (and, that seems to be a pretty good endorsement!) and the Steelers. I think the Rams have some very good GM candidates but personally I am hoping they hire Khan.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
Khan is said to be a great numbers / cap guy. We already have Demoff for that.... those are the things that Demoff is praised for.

I'd much prefer a GM that is known for his proven abilities to scout football talent in players.

Putting both Demoff and Khan in place in the Ram chain of command reminds me too much of the Shaw/Ziggy clown show. One numbers guy is enough,,, and that guy needs to keep his nose out of the Football part of the business.

Again , I want a GM known for his Football acumen,,, not his ability to balance a checkbook .

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Selassie I said:
Khan is said to be a great numbers / cap guy. We already have Demoff for that.... those are the things that Demoff is praised for.

I'd much prefer a GM that is known for his proven abilities to scout football talent in players.

Putting both Demoff and Khan in place in the Ram chain of command reminds me too much of the Shaw/Ziggy clown show. One numbers guy is enough,,, and that guy needs to keep his nose out of the Football part of the business.

Again , I want a GM known for his Football acumen,,, not his ability to balance a checkbook .
Agreed. I want the guy who has a high success rate when evaluating talent from every available resource (free agents, college, USFL, CFL, NFL Europe, etc).

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:
Selassie I said:

Agreed. I want the guy who has a high success rate when evaluating talent from every available resource (free agents, college, USFL, CFL, NFL Europe, etc).

So why would they be looking at Khan? Whats the logic in that with Demoff here? Or would Demoff be occupied (the dome lease situation?) with other stuff?

brokeu91

The super shrink
Name
Michael
JdashSTL said:
X said:
Selassie I said:

So why would they be looking at Khan? Whats the logic in that with Demoff here? Or would Demoff be occupied (the dome lease situation?) with other stuff?
I'm guessing that would be the case, except that in order for the Rams to interview him we would have to allow him GM duties (not just cap number stuff because he already does that at Pittsburgh). It's kind of a head scratcher. But like everyone else, I'd rather have a personnel guy.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
X said:
Selassie I said:

I don't know why they'd be looking at him if his strength isn't in personnel stuff. Like Selassie said, we already have Demoff for that, and he's quite good at it. Of course the Pittsburgh model is a damn good one, and I'm not entirely sure what Khan brings to the table. To be honest, I know absolutely nothing about the guy.

ljramsfan

Pro Bowler
Name
LJ
Well I heard my boy, Shane Gray last night. (lol I follow him and act like I know the guy). Demoff would concentrate more on the day to day Rams business side. This would allow him to focus on stuff with the CVC. Khan would be good with the cap as well as getting the talent on the personnel side.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
ljramsfan said:
Well I heard my boy, Shane Gray last night. (lol I follow him and act like I know the guy). Demoff would concentrate more on the day to day Rams business side. This would allow him to focus on stuff with the CVC. Khan would be good with the cap as well as getting the talent on the personnel side.
How much experience does Khan have with personnel decisions? Was he a scout? I'm actually going to have to read up on the guy, aren't I? Damn. And Shane is MY boy. You can follow him, but I own the rights.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
I read some on Khan yesterday and came to the conclusion that he is a cap/numbers guru and is lacking in the area of scouting talent. I forget exactly the article,,, but comparisons were made between all of the interviewed candidates... Khan was the one with the least amount of actual scouting experience.

I'm pretty sure I read something about Bernie trippin on air about Khan not being a talent evaluator. Sounded like he had similar concerns to mine as far as the Shaw/Ziggy Part II thoughts. Not that Bernie (or I for that matter) knows what the fuck he's talking about all of the time. :ww:

Bottom line--- all other candidates were said to have the talent evaluating cred I'd like to see in a talent poor team.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
You have to wonder how much talent evaluation and talent acquisition the GM is going to have anyway if Fisher is the head coach. Seems to me that Fisher would like to be the final word on that, and that the GM is going to be a figure-head more than anything else. I could be way off the mark there, but what other reason would there be to pick the coach first, and then let HIM more or less decide who the GM is going to be. It's a weird dynamic.

Selassie I

H. I. M.
Name
Haole
X said:
You have to wonder how much talent evaluation and talent acquisition the GM is going to have anyway if Fisher is the head coach. Seems to me that Fisher would like to be the final word on that, and that the GM is going to be a figure-head more than anything else. I could be way off the mark there, but what other reason would there be to pick the coach first, and then let HIM more or less decide who the GM is going to be. It's a weird dynamic.

Yeah it could be that. Hard to tell yet.

JdashSTL

Pro Bowler
X said:

For the draft, we have the possibility of a trade down in the 1st round, im assuming Fisher will have the final say on that, but is Fisher gonna want to be heavily involved with the entire draft? Maybe its gonna be him and Mike Williams (the new head of scouting) being the main guys that handle the draft. I just have a hard time seeing Fisher go into a Belichick type of role here early on, or did he pretty much have that in Tennessee?

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
JdashSTL said:
I just have a hard time seeing Fisher go into a Belichick type of role here early on, or did he pretty much have that in Tennessee?
Good question. I do know that he wasn't real thrilled with having a certain QB thrust upon him, so I assume he wasn't in on that decision in the first place. I don't know though. One of us should try to find out what the real deal was when he was in Tennessee.

You first. :whistle:

Anonymous

X said:
JdashSTL said:
I just have a hard time seeing Fisher go into a Belichick type of role here early on, or did he pretty much have that in Tennessee?
Good question. I do know that he wasn't real thrilled with having a certain QB thrust upon him, so I assume he wasn't in on that decision in the first place. I don't know though. One of us should try to find out what the real deal was when he was in Tennessee.

He actually had a power struggle with their last GM, Reese, and won. Reese was cast out. In terms of Young, the qb, that was the owner.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
zn said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

He actually had a power struggle with their last GM, Reese, and won. Reese was cast out. In terms of Young, the qb, that was the owner.
Yeah, I remember that. Was it the owner who decided to draft Young though? I'm trying to (lazily) determine how much say Fisher had in the draft, and how much he would ideally like to have now that he's here. That might help to project or explain who the GM is ultimately going to be here.

Anonymous

X said:
zn said:
X said:
JdashSTL said:

Yeah, I remember that. Was it the owner who decided to draft Young though? I'm trying to (lazily) determine how much say Fisher had in the draft, and how much he would ideally like to have now that he's here. That might help to project or explain who the GM is ultimately going to be here.

Fisher flat said he needs a GM because he doesn't know which guard to take in the 4th round.

I think it's typical of most head coaches who have "final say." It lasts 2 rounds, and then they glaze over.

-X-

Medium-sized Lebowski
Name
The Dude
Yeah, you're probably right. After the marquee guys are gone, they probably stop being so invested.