Is Morgan Fox the Rams most underrated 2021 free agent?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

ROD-BOT

News Feeder
Is Morgan Fox the Rams most underrated 2021 free agent?

Morgan Fox played 30 snaps against the San Francisco 49ers in Week 12, the most he’s had this season. But even if it is the most, Fox’s 42% snaps is only a hair above his season average of 38% and he has consistently been a presence on the LA Rams’ defensive line since Week 1.

In fact, since Week 1 of the 2019 season.

After missing all of 2018, Fox has played in the last 27 games for the Rams and he had three tackles, one sack and one fumble recovery in LA’s loss to the 49ers on Sunday. As the Rams have turned over so many defensive positions in the last three years, only Aaron Donald, Michael Brockers, John Johnson, Samson Ebukam and Fox remain as regulars from the 2017 defense. Donald and Brockers are signed next season, but Johnson is likely to be too expensive to retain and LA drafted two safeties in 2020 to prepare for his departure.

The team may have options to retain either Ebukam or Fox, and while I’ve observed little support to bring back the former, there hasn’t even been a discussion about the latter.

Is it possible that Morgan Fox will be seen as an underrated free agent signing for some team other than the Rams?

Fox had knee surgery in 2018 but returned last season to record 18 tackles, two sacks and three tackles for a loss under Wade Phillips. He has had a career-year under Brandon Staley, recording 19 tackles, three sacks and five QB hits in 11 games. His numbers are not going to jump out at anyone reading the leaderboards and some teams may be skeptical of how he will play when not next to Donald, but Fox is only 26 and other GMs may be attracted to the fact that the former undrafted free agent has spent five seasons with the NFL’s best defensive player.

Donald has not hesitated to endorse Fox either.

The Rams re-signed Fox to a one-year deal in 2020 for under $1 million but this season could pay off for him by proving to be an adequate 3-4 defensive end. Consider players like Danny Shelton, who entered free agency last year after four underwhelming seasons before having a career-season with the New England Patriots: 61 tackles, three sacks, six QB hits and he was roughly the same age as Fox.

Shelton signed with the Detroit Lions for two years and $8 million.

It is possible that the Lions overpaid because they’re the Lions and Shelton is a former first round pick, but the Atlanta Falcons also extended defensive lineman Tyeler Davison to a three-year, $12 million contract and he has roughly the same pedigree and a similar career to Fox.

It would not surprise me to see Fox land a deal in the $4 million per year range and even if that isn’t relatively expensive (not in the top-50 for interior defensive linemen), it could be too rich for the Rams. The team has locked in Donald, Brockers and A’Shawn Robinson, while Greg Gaines continues to gain experience alongside them.

Fox deserved no less than his own post acknowledging his efforts and season.

Mister Sin

Your friendly neighborhood fat guy!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
I dont want to see Fox go. Hes great in relief and is a try-hard. Reminds me of Chris Long a bit. You always get everything he's got.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I will gladly take Morgan Fox for his depth, 3-5 sacks per year, and cheap salary.

LARams_1963

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
greg
Love his motor! I posted this awhile back, his cousin works at my local watering hole. She's a sweetheart and loves talking up her Cuz!

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I will gladly take Morgan Fox for his depth, 3-5 sacks per year, and cheap salary.
I agree but it will not happen.

DE Morgan Fox is not looking to play any longer for a cheap salary. He is also looking for a starting gig. He will get neither here. Fox has been a Ram since 2016 & has been working for penny's when other DL'ers here make millions.

On 5/1/2016 MF signed a 3 year $1.62 million contract with the Rams. On 3/12/2019 MF signed a 1 year $645K contract. Finally on 5/16th 2020 MF signed for 1 more season @ $825K. Rams got more than their $$$ worth from Fox.

Rams will have to look elsewhere for the next Morgan Fox. The most likely area to find that is the Rams Practice Squad. Rams have a 25 yr old 6-5 275lb Dl'er named Jonah Williams & Eric Banks 22 yr old 6-5 274 lb DL'er just waiting on Fox's departure in March 2021.

fearsomefour

Legend
The most amazing thing is that bit about all the turnover on D and the continued success of the D.
A ton of credit to the coaches for this.
Fox is a try hard good rotational player.
Probably a cap causality but would be nice to keep.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I love Fox but we can't afford to pay him anything. We have enough cash tied up in that DL.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
Yeah, maybe even a little William Hayes, at least as far as being a solid under radar type player right now.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
I love Fox but we can't afford to pay him anything. We have enough cash tied up in that DL.
There could be some $$$ salary cap trimming coming from that DL unit once this season concludes. Snead will have $44 million of 2021 cap space invested in the DL pretty much 25 % of his 2021 salary cap. UFA Fox will be looking for a starting gig & a little more $$$.

Coaches Staley/Henderson do have 2 NT's that are still playing on their rookie contracts in Gaines & SJ-D in 2021. Only costs the Rams a total of $2 mil.

Aaron Donald $28 mil.
Micheal Brockers $10 mil.
A. Robinson 4.5 mil.

Staley is in need of finding another DL'er who can deliver on a game day besides Donald. Thus far I do not see it coming from any of the four DL'ers on this roster. Snead has been keeping a rather extra-large cadre of four DL'ers signed to his grooming practice squad this 2020 season.

Eric Banks 6-5/275-R (5 tech)
Marquise Copeland 6-2/290 2yr (1 tech/5 techs)
Michael Hoecht 6-4/310-R (1 tech/0 techs NT)
Jonah Williams 6-5/275-R (3 tech/5 techs)

Question for some of ROD's Defensive guys..... When the 2020 season concludes early next yr & before Free Agency begins would you strongly consider releasing or trading the 10 million a yr contract with DE Brockers in order to keep give & keep ER Leonard Floyd?

Last edited:

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma
There could be some $$$ salary cap trimming coming from that DL unit once this season concludes. Snead will have $44 million of 2021 cap space invested in the DL pretty much 25 % of his 2021 salary cap. UFA Fox will be looking for a starting gig & a little more $$$.

Coaches Staley/Henderson do have 2 NT's that are still playing on their rookie contracts in Gaines & SJ-D in 2021. Only costs the Rams a total of $2 mil.

Aaron Donald $28 mil.
Micheal Brockers $10 mil.
A. Robinson 4.5 mil.

Staley is in need of finding another DL'er who can deliver on a game day besides Donald. Thus far I do not see it coming from any of the four DL'ers on this roster. Snead has been keeping a rather extra-large cadre of four DL'ers signed to his grooming practice squad this 2020 season.

Eric Banks 6-5/275-R (5 tech)
Marquise Copeland 6-2/290 2yr (1 tech/5 techs)
Michael Hoecht 6-4/310-R (1 tech/0 techs NT)
Jonah Williams 6-5/275-R (3 tech/5 techs)

Question for some of ROD's Defensive guys..... When the 2020 season concludes early next yr & before Free Agency begins would you strongly consider releasing or trading the 10 million a yr contract with DE Brockers in order to keep give & keep ER Leonard Floyd?

Yes, on the trade. Brockers could get us needed picks (we're without a first, original fourth and a fifth). I love the guy, but I could see teams like the Titans get interested.

Unfortunately, I don't think we keep Floyd. He had a prove-it deal, and he really proved it. We'll get a third round compensatory pick from both him and JJ3 in the 2022 draft. I don't like losing all these good players, but we simply can't keep everyone, and we'll need players to step up. That's how you create a dynasty: by making hard decisions.