Is McVay more involved in D in 2020

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
One thing that I keep wondering is how much more involved in the D McVay is with Staley rather than Philipps.

I thought that it was a mistake to go through 2019 without an OC, and was happy that O'Connell was hired this year.

Even though the Rams O is no longer dominant, I am happy with O'Connell's work. I do wonder how much this has allowed McVay to work more with Staley.

I believe that McVay is more involved with the D, at least in terms of strategy, having a good fit between what the O is doing and what the D is doing. It does seem this way to me
This is important, as with Staley at some point expanding the McVay coaching tree, continuity on D will be important.

Last edited:

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
One thing that I keep wondering is how much more involved in the D McVay is with Staley rather than Philipps.

I thought that it was a mistake to go through 2019 without an OC, and was happy that O'Connell was hired this year.

Even though the Rams O is no longer dominant, I am happy with O'Connell's work. I do wonder how much this has allowed McVay to work more with Staley.

I believe that McVay is more involved with the D, at least in terms of strategy, having a good fit between what the O is doing and what the D is doing. It does seem this way to me
This is important, as with Staley at some point expanding the McVay coaching tree, continuity on D will be important.

I’ve wondered this too. McVay is still learning. I hope he and some other coaches are learning what Staley is doing because like many, I don’t think he will be the Rams DC for long.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am hoping that STaley is here another year.
I think Rams have to look outside if it is a one an done.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Staley was a linebacker coach last year. I will be surprised if someone makes him a head coach after 1 year as a DC.

CoachAllred

Hall of Fame
Staley was a linebacker coach last year. I will be surprised if someone makes him a head coach after 1 year as a DC.
Agreed. As good as he has been, this is still his first year calling plays @ DC.
And there are a lot of more experienced HC candidates out there.
I'm thinking we're getting one more year at the very least and hopefully

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
It's more than that, it's like a bacon & eggs breakfast, the chicken is involved, but the pig is committed. McVay is committed.

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not as worried about losing Staley as others seem to be. Don’t get me wrong I think he is an excellent coach and I would love for him to stay long term I just tend to think we are overvaluing his impact to the tune of undervaluing the impact of pairing Aaron Donald with Jalen Ramsey. How much of what we are seeing is due to Staley’s concepts and how much is due to combining Ramsay and Donald for their first full season together? Obviously it’s a combination of the two but if we were to lose Staley and his concepts are as important as some think I have all the faith mcvay can not only find another Staley (he seems to have a knack for finding talented coaches) but keep the necessary concepts in place. Aaron Donald is special. Jalen Ramsay is special. Sean McVay is special. Staley? Yet to be determined but I’m confident the mixture of the first three will keep this D elite with or without this D coordinator.