Is it too early to speculate on possible Rams offseason moves?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
First, some suppositions…

I think Rams will finish with 10 wins, give or take, so they would be drafting around 16th to 20th position.

I also expect Snead to invest in FA’s of substantial value with his $50M of available cap dollars next year. This would mean that he could bring in 3-4 real studs to bolster current weak spots in Rams roster. I think that this has been the Rams 2023 strategy all along.

Therefore, I could see the following take place.

Looking at Rams needs I see the following as essential:

QB for eventual replacement for Stafford upon retirement.
LOT
Edge
DL
CB

I think Snead fills these positions beyond QB via FA as best he can.

A quality LOT could be a threefer. Meaning it fills and upgrades the most important position on OL indefinitely, eliminates worries of health of Jackson/Boom there, and frees up Jackson as a top drawer swing at either tackle or guard positions, all 4 of them. Moreover, it would open the possibility of Avila upgrading the C position in an OL move which would be one less draft need for Rams in 2024. Jackson has already demonstrated the ability to play G at a high level. Just signing a great LOT could provide 2 OL upgrades in a ripple effect without using a single draft pick.

The screaming need for an Edge is beyond obvious. Snead should get best possible FA for this position regardless of price. It’s a game changing move. Literally a SB enabling move. I can’t overstate the importance of this one. An elite type FA would be my preference. Get the proven stud and never look back.

DL might be a high priority, too. The current DL is a little unproven and certainly could use some upgrade, imo. Here again, I advocate for a proven vet FA. Needn’t be elite, but merely ‘very good’ would suffice.

CB is up in the air right now. Personally, I would sit Kendrick (the human catastrophic penalty machine), move Durant back outside, and start Shelley at slot. Don’t forget about Tomlinson, either. I would keep rotating current CB’s this season until I found the best possible combo. But CB would be high on my list of priorities for next year. FA would be my preference but he must be an upper level difference maker type. Yeah, he would be costly but we’re talking about one of the 4 most important positions on the field here. Pay the price, dammit! If a FA at CB of sufficient quality is not possible then a premium pick must be invested in that position. It would be nice if a proven vet CB could be signed in FA because that would free Snead up to drafting BPA in a loaded draft on all 3 days.

Which brings us to QB position. I love Stafford but I expect him to only play through 2024. Others think he will play until he’s 40 but I’m unwilling to gamble on that. Too many health issues are circling Stafford to make me feel comfortable. I don’t see a FA as our QB ‘solution’, either, because they are scarce as hens teeth. But the good news is that this is reportedly a loaded QB draft and I think we pick 16-20 give or take. IOW, a promising QB just might fall into our lap. OR Snead might package our 1st with picks or players to trade up to get a particular QB Rams like. This draft is a rare QB opportunity draft for Rams and they should seize it. If they get it right we’re set at the most important position in football for the next 12-15 years. Priceless.

The rest of the draft should simply be BPA at every pick. Hopefully, another Snead bonanza similar to Snead’s 2023 draft crop.

What do y’all think?

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I think some of us have been doing this for weeks.

RamFanWA

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
DavidG
Just don't let the season be over in October....
I think this roster has too much game for that! I hope.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
I'm always in for a good look into the future, so thanks.

I have been downright blown away by the current team's performance to-date. Despite some of the hate, I give huge credit to our coaching staff and Snead for putting out a fun product to watch every Sunday. Good guys, strong effort, and room to improve.

Personally, I've anticipated a couple year window of retooling. I see a roster that has young potential, but is clearly void of the overall talent it takes to compete for the Lombardi. I just don't see a magical offseason of hitting on all the right free agents and draft picks in one year to be able to compete with the upper echelon of the NFC. Again, love rooting for these guys, but there are clearly talent limitations at many very important positions. I think it will take time and patience.

Personally, my hope is we find the QB of the future in this draft. It's QB friendly and comes at the right time for this franchise. McSnead has my trust and whatever they decide to do to get their guy, I'm all in. I just don't think they should let the opportunity pass in hopes of competing next year. QB is WAY too important to ignore in this league and being left with the combination of no Stafford with no viable replacement will set this franchise back, regardless of the talent around them, further than we are now.

I totally understand the perspective of "getting it right" while we have 3 potential HOF's on the squad (i.e "all in" this offseason). I do. But look back in history and the strong organizations are able to look past that sense of urgency with their aging stars, move on when necessary, and have an eye on the future.

One thing the current regime does better than any franchise I have followed in my 40 years of fandom is treat players the right way. Hell, they just did it with Jefferson. I truly believe if AD, Kupp or Stafford ever get to the point where they would like out or a different opportunity, this franchise will accommodate them. Even if the return isn't what fans think is fair. They treat their employees the right way. This gives me confidence that whatever happens in the next 2-4 years, it will be done with class and all voices heard. And make me proud to be a Ram fan.

Finally, as we all start thinking about our needs and how to fill them, I think it's important to consider who is available. Yes, we could use a young stud pass rusher, LOT, #1 CB, etc. But realistically given who is available, do all of those needs present themselves this offseason? I've taken a brief look and just don't see it if I'm honest with myself in terms of knowing other teams have significant needs and cap room as well.

I hope I'm wrong on the timing, but will enjoy the hell out of the ride under our current leadership.

Wisconsinram

oldnotdead

Legend
There's a whole lot of guys that haven't played yet. Witherspoon and Dotson turned out well. Sperry, Zach Evans, Ojemudia are guys that would seem to be promising and not without talent. How can you tell what you need if you don't really know what you have? If they don't think they are worth playing then why are they on the roster?

Allen2McVay

Legend
Name
Jim
There's a whole lot of guys that haven't played yet. Witherspoon and Dotson turned out well. Sperry, Zach Evans, Ojemudia are guys that would seem to be promising and not without talent. How can you tell what you need if you don't really know what you have? If they don't think they are worth playing then why are they on the roster?

Sperry?

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'd alleviate one of those needs now and get a nasty ass plug and play left tackle in Garret Bolles that's available probably for not that much and we set.
It helps set the stage for this year butore importantly for future years

The whiners we good but became much better legit contenders (granted chokers) and nasty when they stole Trent Williams. It changed everything for the.

Wisconsinram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Mike
Old,
I really appreciate your posts and insights. Sometimes I have to decipher where you are coming from, but I appreciate any true Ram fan.

In response to your post and questions, which I'm assuming were aimed at my post, I'd share these thoughts.

Why are they on the roster? Because our roster is devoid of higher-end talent. That simple. There wasn't room for any of these guys when we made our last run. I liken it to a top level talented team cutting players at roster pair-down time. The teams with less talent gobble those guys up.
Do I think Sperry, whom I have never heard of despite following the Rams at an obsessive-level, Evans and Ojemudia will fill even integral roles (i.e many snaps even if not starters) in our next SB run? No. Hell, I'd make a bet on that which could include eating my own hat.
Have Witherspoon, Dotson, and others shown well when given the opportunity? Yes! They have strong qualities of NFL players at their respective positions. It's what has made this a great ride thus far, gives me continued faith in Snead as a talent evaluator, and helped bring the overall talent on the roster up (and beyond my own expectations). Do I think they are important clogs in a team that makes a SB run in the next 3 years? I have no idea, but can hope so.

kurtfaulk

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor

Tired Pbs Nature GIF by Nature on PBS

BigRamFan

Super Bowl XXXVI was rigged!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Craig
First, some suppositions…

I think Rams will finish with 10 wins, give or take, so they would be drafting around 16th to 20th position.

I also expect Snead to invest in FA’s of substantial value with his $50M of available cap dollars next year. This would mean that he could bring in 3-4 real studs to bolster current weak spots in Rams roster. I think that this has been the Rams 2023 strategy all along.

Therefore, I could see the following take place.

Looking at Rams needs I see the following as essential:

QB for eventual replacement for Stafford upon retirement.
LOT
Edge
DL
CB

I think Snead fills these positions beyond QB via FA as best he can.

A quality LOT could be a threefer. Meaning it fills and upgrades the most important position on OL indefinitely, eliminates worries of health of Jackson/Boom there, and frees up Jackson as a top drawer swing at either tackle or guard positions, all 4 of them. Moreover, it would open the possibility of Avila upgrading the C position in an OL move which would be one less draft need for Rams in 2024. Jackson has already demonstrated the ability to play G at a high level. Just signing a great LOT could provide 2 OL upgrades in a ripple effect without using a single draft pick.

The screaming need for an Edge is beyond obvious. Snead should get best possible FA for this position regardless of price. It’s a game changing move. Literally a SB enabling move. I can’t overstate the importance of this one. An elite type FA would be my preference. Get the proven stud and never look back.

DL might be a high priority, too. The current DL is a little unproven and certainly could use some upgrade, imo. Here again, I advocate for a proven vet FA. Needn’t be elite, but merely ‘very good’ would suffice.

CB is up in the air right now. Personally, I would sit Kendrick (the human catastrophic penalty machine), move Durant back outside, and start Shelley at slot. Don’t forget about Tomlinson, either. I would keep rotating current CB’s this season until I found the best possible combo. But CB would be high on my list of priorities for next year. FA would be my preference but he must be an upper level difference maker type. Yeah, he would be costly but we’re talking about one of the 4 most important positions on the field here. Pay the price, dammit! If a FA at CB of sufficient quality is not possible then a premium pick must be invested in that position. It would be nice if a proven vet CB could be signed in FA because that would free Snead up to drafting BPA in a loaded draft on all 3 days.

Which brings us to QB position. I love Stafford but I expect him to only play through 2024. Others think he will play until he’s 40 but I’m unwilling to gamble on that. Too many health issues are circling Stafford to make me feel comfortable. I don’t see a FA as our QB ‘solution’, either, because they are scarce as hens teeth. But the good news is that this is reportedly a loaded QB draft and I think we pick 16-20 give or take. IOW, a promising QB just might fall into our lap. OR Snead might package our 1st with picks or players to trade up to get a particular QB Rams like. This draft is a rare QB opportunity draft for Rams and they should seize it. If they get it right we’re set at the most important position in football for the next 12-15 years. Priceless.

The rest of the draft should simply be BPA at every pick. Hopefully, another Snead bonanza similar to Snead’s 2023 draft crop.

What do y’all think?
Yes.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
I’d like to see them lock up Witherspoon & Dotson for sure.
What about Alaric Jackson’s contract? I find it different than most . This season The Rams are trying to WIN.
Thinking of the Future at this point is sort of irresponsible! In the aspect of throwing away this season.
That CAP MONEY is going to be used this season IMO.Meaning the Van & Cam savings.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
My guess is that they already have their list of QBs and they will trade up to the top 1-5 slots to select him.

They haven’t needed a first round pick the last few years and have been to two Super Bowls. So I could see them trading their next three first round picks or a combination of two firsts and some second rounders to land someone like Williams or Maye.
This is the F them picks regime and if McVay knows one thing it is that he needs a competent QB.

They have the cap space to sign top free agents but I don’t think they sign many to long term deals. They want to keep the cap flexible and will only sign a top talent to more than a year or two.

If they don’t follow this type of plan then I expect that they will get Cousins and they will spend big on free agents and that will mean that this is McVays last run at a Super Bowl. He will retire in 2-5 years.

If they do go the route of getting a good rookie QB then that is a sign that McVay will be sticking around longer.

den-the-coach

Fifty-four Forty or Fight
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dennis
Not sure about speculation, but I have a feeling Rams are going to draft QB Bo Nix in the 2nd round. Just a feeling as I think he could slip to the 2nd round based on who is coming out and because of his Auburn roots plus being able to see many of his games on the West Coast, I believe GM Les Snead won't be able to help himself.
1697208033277.png
1697208049212.png

Attachments

• 1697208018199.png
    1697208018199.png
    214.2 KB · Views: 16

snackdaddy

Who's your snackdaddy?
Name
Charlie
From the short sample size this season the biggest weakness is edge rusher. That is something they will need to address. I can't say I'm comfortable with the left tackle situation. Jackson held up ok last game. But having to wonder if he can play is giving me pause. He missed last season. Already dealing with injury this season. Missed a game and a half. We know Noteboom can't be counted on.

If Jackson stays healthy this season I'll feel better about it. If he goes down again I think we need to start looking at a more reliable option next year. We'll just have to wait and see how it shakes out.

To me those are the two main areas of concern. Edge rusher probably won't be improved this season. But left tackle can be if Jackson is reliable.

More depth on the offensive line and maybe a run stuffer on the defensive line would be something that could use improvement. Perhaps an upgrade at ILB too. Jones is fine but Roseboom is a JAG.