Is it possible that Atwell’s performance early on will determine OBJ’s Rams fate?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Steve808

Pro Bowler
Name
Steve
I don't see it happening. A perfect example is the first TD of the super bowl. Odell was thrown a ball to a high point where he leaped up and snatched it out of the air and even with good defense, it couldn't be stopped. I believe he had one of those against Arizona in the playoffs also. Tutu can't physically do that.

I don't know enough about his skills to know where he could fit in, but I suppose he could be another DeSean Jackson type?

Ram65

Legend
The Rams will probably stay in the mix for OBJ. He wants to come back to McVay and the Rams. It's not totally in the Rams control. Atwell, Benny Skow and Harris will get chances to show off what they have. You also have the progress of Jefferson and unforeseen injuries. I doubt Atwell by himself can take OBJ out of the picture. It's always about weighing the options. The Rams could go for a defensive player if needed and one they like becomes available. Snead and McVay will make moves they think are best. All options will be explored.

oldnotdead

Legend
Ram65 you ask how fast Jefferson is? He's timed in the 4.4 range and it's why he's been used deep. I forget what the exact time was but it was in the low to mid 4.4 range.

In regards to OBJ by his own admission, the Rams made him an offer and he turned it down. His demands are unrealistic considering he won't even play until Dec. and his age and injury history. Apparently, it was similar to last year's incentive based deal for this year. They were willing to negotiate a second year but didn't want to commit to more than two years. All things considered, I don't blame them. That's why his crashing McVay's wedding was in exceedingly bad taste. A PR stunt to gain fan support.

Besides, when you look at Jefferson's production he had a breakout year. Don't forget that he played the last part of the year hurt. Jefferson is a complimentary #3 WR with the primary targets being Robinson and Kupp. Why pay a premium for OBJ when he's not going to be a #1 or #2 WR? The minute they signed Robinson, OBJ's ship sailed. Jefferson scored 6 TD's last year and it should have been 8 or 9 but for off target throws by Stafford (tendonitis in his elbow). How much better would OBJ be as a #3 WR?

Barring injury I don't see him being signed.

FarNorth

Hall of Fame
The Rams will probably stay in the mix for OBJ. He wants to come back to McVay and the Rams. It's not totally in the Rams control. Atwell, Benny Skow and Harris will get chances to show off what they have. You also have the progress of Jefferson and unforeseen injuries. I doubt Atwell by himself can take OBJ out of the picture. It's always about weighing the options. The Rams could go for a defensive player if needed and one they like becomes available. Snead and McVay will make moves they think are best. All options will be explored.
Imo Rams want OBJ back and, assuming his knee is good and they can agree on terms, will sign him. At the moment we are just in the expected scenario of both sides waiting to confirm progress on OBJ's knee. Development of other receivers is a big positive, but not the decisive factor in the OBJ equation.

The big reason: McVay wants another title. This year. He saw what OBJ could do in the playoffs. As another poster pointed out, and McVay surely knows, Kupp, Robinson, and OBJ together would be unstoppable in the postseason. McVay will get OBJ back if he possibly can.

The outlier variable imo is not other receivers but a possible Von Miller style defection with OBJ going for a longer contract with more guaranteed bucks over time. Rams may offer a shorter term front loaded contract. Say, three years. OBJ will have to see if he can get more years elsewhere. If so, will he prefer a longer contract in Siberia to winning another Super Bowl.

Ram65

Legend
Ram65 you ask how fast Jefferson is? He's timed in the 4.4 range and it's why he's been used deep. I forget what the exact time was but it was in the low to mid 4.4 range.

I change the question from "How fast is Brandon Cooks?" to "How fast is Van Jefferson?" because IIRC he didn't run a 40 at the combine. There were many wondering what he would have run. They did clock his top speed with comparisons to others at the Senior Bowl which is a great read.

That's why his crashing McVay's wedding was in exceedingly bad taste. A PR stunt to gain fan support.

I heard McVay talk about OBJ crashing the Wedding. He was laughing and commenting that only OJB could pull it off (paraphasing) without a problem. He commented how easily he fit in and was showing off his dancing skills. I would be willing to bet OBJ had some help/encouragement form some of the team captains who were the only Rams players invited per McVay.

1659225980338.png

There is no need to resign OBJ untill he is further along in his rehab. Like I stated Rams will weigh all options.

LouisvilleRam

Hall of Fame
I don't see it happening. A perfect example is the first TD of the super bowl. Odell was thrown a ball to a high point where he leaped up and snatched it out of the air and even with good defense, it couldn't be stopped. I believe he had one of those against Arizona in the playoffs also. Tutu can't physically do that.

I don't know enough about his skills to know where he could fit in, but I suppose he could be another DeSean Jackson type?
What was most impressive on that TD was how he kept the ball away from the defender to prevent him from knocking the ball loose. I noticed him doing that a few times throughout the year.

dang

Legend

In regards to OBJ by his own admission, the Rams made him an offer and he turned it down. His demands are unrealistic considering he won't even play until Dec. and his age and injury history. Apparently, it was similar to last year's incentive based deal for this year. They were willing to negotiate a second year but didn't want to commit to more than two years. All things considered, I don't blame them. That's why his crashing McVay's wedding was in exceedingly bad taste. A PR stunt to gain fan support.

Besides, when you look at Jefferson's production he had a breakout year. Don't forget that he played the last part of the year hurt. Jefferson is a complimentary #3 WR with the primary targets being Robinson and Kupp. Why pay a premium for OBJ when he's not going to be a #1 or #2 WR? The minute they signed Robinson, OBJ's ship sailed. Jefferson scored 6 TD's last year and it should have been 8 or 9 but for off target throws by Stafford (tendonitis in his elbow). How much better would OBJ be as a #3 WR?

Barring injury I don't see him being signed.
OBJ has probably the best hands of a WR in the NFL. Another tend could make him an offer he can’t refuse but my bet is the Rams want to sign him for end of season / playoff run. And injuries to any Rostered Rams WR would only accelerate the need.

ottoman89

Busch Light slammin, hog farmin, Iowa boy.
Name
Josh Otto
Just saw this on this thread I just posted it on another thread ...so many threads lolol......what did you make of that? Is it more playful and confident or more like he is pleading?
Kind of feels like he's "begging" for lack of a better term.

MachS

Hall of Fame
Kind of feels like he's "begging" for lack of a better term.
Since our doctors did the surgery and he's still out in LA rehabbing, we're obviously keeping a close eye on him. We probably gave him a type of verbal commitment, assuming everything goes well with rehab and he's on schedule. Worst thing would be to sign him and pay him guaranteed money and have him suffer a big set back or something with his knee. But now that we're like 6 months removed from his injury I feel like we should have a good idea where he's at, and I hope we get it done soon.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Wouldn't go so far as to call that begging. McVay might have been letting Odell know he was going to be more of a priority perhaps, or just reminding him that the Rams are still in it with him. If the Rams are in the area code with the contract offers that Odell gets when he can pass a physical he will return to the Rams. I just don't think they're gonna be able to compete with some other teams. There's some contenders who have good ass rosters but need a little wideout help or depth. Colts for example.

gogoat1

Pro Bowler
Name
Troy
No, OJB has more NFL wide receiver in his left big toe than Tu-Tu does in his whole being.

OnceARam

Hall of Fame
We don't need OJB at this point. Robinson will beast out. We know who Kupp is. And the #3 will be a mix. And we need that mix to play so that they can develop and so that we know who they are. If Tutu can get into the mix, good for him. Jefferson is still a question mark, but seems to have additional upside.

Also, Green Bay will overpay for OJB. Look at their WR group. Terrible. And their 2nd round rookie is hurt.

If we do get OJB it'll be a late season rental and that's all. (Which is fine because we could get a comp pick.)

Also, this is Tutu's rookie season as far as the coaches are concerned. So he's safe. Harris is the odd man out.

SeminoleRam

Pro Bowler
Name
PaceRam
A HEALTHY OJB (IF, The Rams can re-sign him!), Kupp, Robinson and Jefferson would be a total nightmare (With a healthy Akers and Higbee the Rams Offense would be VERY DIFFICULT to slow down!) for opposing defenses in the playoffs this season!