Is it possible that Atwell’s performance early on will determine OBJ’s Rams fate?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Rams43

Hall of Fame
I can hardly believe I’m typing this since I’ve been down on Atwell after last year’s fiasco, but there have been so many positives reported on Atwell that maybe he is legit.

So I’m gonna pose a ‘what if’…

IF he proves to be a weapon this year schemed by McVay then that’s the best of all possible worlds for the Rams in terms of timing (available from September on), threat to stress opposing D, and cap cost.

If Atwell really proves himself beyond doubt then OBJ then becomes unnecessary, don’t you think? The standard here for really proving himself is that he could claim that #3 WR position, or at least share it with Jefferson in some kind of a McVay designed rotation. IOW, a modest #4 WR performance won’t do the trick of making OBJ unnecessary. Those cap dollars can go elsewhere or maybe be rolled over for next year.

Maybe Rams have been dragging their feet on an OBJ signing because of optimism about Atwell and have adopted a wait-and-see strategy?

Just spitballing here, but it is somewhat logical IF they are genuinely impressed with Atwell at this point.

We’ll be getting some great feedback on Atwell from beat reporters and numerous camp reporters plus the preseason games, that’s for sure. I know we’re all pulling for him but it always comes down to on-field production.

Is Atwell gonna be another Ram Cinderella story or just a tease? Stay tuned.

What do y’all think?

TheTackle

Pro Bowler
No, while I think Atwell will make a huge leap, OBJ is by far one of the best WRs and so I hope we resign him. Even if that means Atwell gets less touches we can still use him in certain situations to create mismatches and hopefully for end arounds

I am looking forward to seeing them both on the field at the same time this season :)

Rams43

Hall of Fame
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I’m not a big Atwell fan based upon a VERY underwhelming 2021, but IF, and it’s a big if, Atwell really impresses this summer and early fall then I think OBJ becomes somewhat irrelevant For the Rams.

But the caveat is that Atwell has to really blow the doors off on the field and win at least a co-#3 ranking with Jefferson. ‘Pretty good’ won’t be nearly enough.

Loyal

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
I’m not a big Atwell fan based upon a VERY underwhelming 2021, but IF, and it’s a big if, Atwell really impresses this summer and early fall then I think OBJ becomes somewhat irrelevant For the Rams.

But the caveat is that Atwell has to really blow the doors off on the field and win at least a co-#3 ranking with Jefferson. ‘Pretty good’ won’t be nearly enough.
How about we wait to see Tutu in pads first, this year, and getting hit?

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
How about we wait to see Tutu in pads first, this year, and getting hit?

That as well as WTF ? Am I missing Van Jefferson as The Rams number 3 WR.

Don’t want to look up draft pick slots,but for some reason Van Jefferson wasn’t that far behind Cam Akers & was actually picked by some as a 1st rd pick.

Ram Ts

Hall of Fame
The whole WR room makes obj return questionable from the rams side. Arob, van, tutu, etc.

I used to think we needed to sign obj long term. But now I’ve changed that mindset. Now I think a mid/late year return for the playoffs on a one year deal. Win SB again. Then we let him go via FA. Get comp pick and allows the young guys to take next step in 2023+

Tano

Legend
I agree completely with Loyal.

I want to see Tutu get hit and not get injured like he did last year after the first big hit to him.

payote75

Hall of Fame
Name
Payote75
I'm not as sure as I was before about Objs return from the Rams p.o.v.
However injuries happen and coach wants him back.

As much as I love him and was banging the drum to draft him if tutu does indeed emerge as a viable threat and I still say he can be a poor mans Tyreek Hill if not entirely similar but should he show ascension the timing would a perfect storm because then you have a portion of the season where van hopefully is thriving tutu emerging while Obj is healing. So should we need a piece I'm thinking van could get you that piece without giving picks up probably. Will be interesting to see how it goes but I do feel in a short time obj left a positive mark on this team. As excited as I am I feel he is missing.

Sucks because I didn't feel that way with Von because he just wanted the bag and had no realness seemingly to the Rams and the organization while Obj seemingly just wants to be a Ram but has to be respectable offer. The guy state publicly he would take a cut has to mean something.

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
I think they want to see Van really grow into someone they can count on when called upon. He’s a decent WR3 but imo they expect more and they should.

Ramhusker

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Bo Bowen
I’d say no. Tutu is a totally different kind of WR. Even if he improves drastically, I see us signing OBJ if the terms are favorable for the Rams and if cap is still left when that time comes. Of course, injuries are the position changes everything by t let’s not talk about that too much.

Riverumbbq

Angry Progressive
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
River
I’d say no. Tutu is a totally different kind of WR. Even if he improves drastically, I see us signing OBJ if the terms are favorable for the Rams and if cap is still left when that time comes. Of course, injuries are the position changes everything by t let’s not talk about that too much.

I agree. No matter how well Tutu plays, it seems he may always be an injury risk, and with Harris & Skowronek in the wings fighting for snaps, I'm not sure any of the three will get past a WR4 designation this year. I'd also assume that Van Jefferson, if he remains healthy and has a pretty decent year, may just become solid trade bait for the Rams next year. Of course, waiting to see OBj having a 100% recovery will be the final determination, but lining up Kupp, Robinson & OBj together for the next 3 years is a no-brainer in my book. jmo.

CanadaRam

No guts, No glory.
Name
Andrew
Short answer. NO.

Atwell can be the long threat why DJ was signed.

Bigger risk by far is Allen Robinson signing.

That said, Rams want OBJ this year. win/win Rams SB (OBJ as well) and huge $ for OBJ unless hurt

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
The whole WR room makes obj return questionable from the rams side. Arob, van, tutu, etc.
This is where I'm at. If they sign Odell the cut goes from tough to brutal.

Re: Atwell... Just make the team. If not then they might try to trade him, there might be a market based on his draft position and some GMs wanting a shot at him. If he ends up cut, well, it's a good lesson for the young man and the Rams wideout group will still be damn good.

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man

I used to think we needed to sign obj long term. But now I’ve changed that mindset. Now I think a mid/late year return for the playoffs on a one year deal. Win SB again. Then we let him go via FA. Get comp pick and allows the young guys to take next step in 2023+
This is where I am at, assuming we come out of camp healthy.

majrleaged

Hall of Fame
This is where I'm at. If they sign Odell the cut goes from tough to brutal.

Re: Atwell... Just make the team. If not then they might try to trade him, there might be a market based on his draft position and some GMs wanting a shot at him. If he ends up cut, well, it's a good lesson for the young man and the Rams wideout group will still be damn good.
If we can sign him we should no matter what the WR room looks like. OBJ has the best hands on the team if not the league. You get the ball close and he is a vacuum. He bailed Stafford out a couple of times with those hands. Besides nobody has to get cut. just put someone on the IR if someone isn't already on it by the time we sign him. Three number 1 receivers!! I mean, hell no. Nobody behind the top 2 will keep the Rams from signing him. Just depends on how much he wants and how long. He might price himself out.

MachS

Hall of Fame
If we can sign him we should no matter what the WR room looks like. OBJ has the best hands on the team if not the league. You get the ball close and he is a vacuum. He bailed Stafford out a couple of times with those hands. Besides nobody has to get cut. just put someone on the IR if someone isn't already on it by the time we sign him. Three number 1 receivers!! I mean, hell no. Nobody behind the top 2 will keep the Rams from signing him. Just depends on how much he wants and how long. He might price himself out.
I'd have to agree with this, if we can sign him we should get done. Not just for this year but beyond. It gives us the best weapons in the NFL hands down even over CIN and TB. It would likely mean we have to trade Van or Tutu which I dont want to do yet, or it would mean cutting someone like Harris or Skow. Tough spot but a good problem to have I guess.

blackbart

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Tim
Before signing Beckham he has to show something to indicate how well he is healed. I just don’t know if there is a compatriot there with the same knee two years in a row and coming back to be what he WAS.

Really don’t see putting Atwell in the same world as Van right now, let alone making a mostly healthy Beckham expendable.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend
For that to happen Atwell would have to be as good as OBJ, which he never has been in his entire college career. I'll vote no.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
I think I need to be more clear here. I was commenting on it from the Rams side of I think they're done at wideout with the roster. It makes them lose a guy they drafted to develop, and Odell's probably going to get a good offer or two from other contenders.

But you make a great point and I have no problem with them signing him. I'll be very happy if they do in fact.