Is history repeating itself, or is attrition on the defense finally going to bite us?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
We are not going to be able to keep finding prove-it difference makers at edge. At some point it's going to hurt us if we don't find a long term answer.

Littleton was not even a surprise. His film showed he was shy of contact (he went out of his way at times in the run game to choose the wrong hole so he could tackle from the side or trailing) and overrated as F. Not sure what the Raiders were looking at when they identified him as a key piece. I'm guessing they fell in love with a handful of fantastic plays he made in space but he has never been nor will he ever be a guy who can aggressively fill holes.

I am expecting a dip on defense. We've hit twice in a row on edge but not sure that is going to continue. We might lose Williams. Our safety position is going to be a bit of a mess (losing JJ, and is Rapp a scheme fit). Our new DC doesn't exactly have a great track record of limiting scoring. If we want to run certain tweaks I expect him to favor improvement at ILB at the least. If we run a continuation of what we did this year I expect he might need to come up to speed a bit on the gameday calls and management side.

And then looming is an offseason of big focus for our offense. For good reason. Which might affect things we'll see.

rdlkgliders

"AKA" Hugo Bezdek
Name
Don
Floyd quite possibly headed to Bolts. no need to move and back with Staley

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Just get me a stud inside linebacker and I won't worry about the defense. Oh, and Darious Williams stays for one more year.

Hobgoblin

Rookie
I only really remember Littleton making plays not ST. He was always so so on defense so I was surprised he landed a contract...

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
We are not going to be able to keep finding prove-it difference makers at edge. At some point it's going to hurt us if we don't find a long term answer.

One might not work out one of these times, but every offseason there are players like this to be had. With Donald, we get first dibs. (y)

Mackeyser

Supernovas are where gold forms; the only place.
Name
Mack
I am going to miss Floyd. He fit what we need out of an DE perfectly! Just perfect.

But, I think this is the beauty of Donald...... Free Agents see what’s happening here.

Flowler, now Floyd... about to cash in.

So,... rinse and repeat. Find another “prove it DE“. We need that player... THAT PLAYER wants to play here! We have a win win situation on our hands.

Who is that player this year? Go get’em Snead.

The Ravens have two franchise tagged OLB/Edge guys in Yannick Ngakoue and Matthew Judon. Judon's been there since his rookie year, Ngakoue has just been there a year after doing whatever to get out of Jacksonville.

Honestly, if we were able to get Ngakoue on a one year deal, that'd be ideal

Neil039

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
A thing to consider is what Morris is telling McVay he needs to keep the level of play on the defense.

Personally, if Floyd leaves so be it. JJ is the guy I hope they keep. This may be another plug and play year at DE via free agency.

A few of you posted using the saving on OL, 100% agree that’s what’s needed. No balance between the two units. Gotta have that to win Championships IMO