Is Goff, Elite?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.
Status
Not open for further replies.

UKram

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Man goff sucks balls

Guy doesn’t have a thing on the likes of Kyle boller ..Keith Null.. Shaun Hill .. the peanut guy in the stand has a better arm than him

Oh how the tides change .. this very point in 3 short seasons ago we were bitching and crying about mr 7-9 getting ready for the draft again .. bemoaning another losing season again .. after 10 long hard arduous seasons of losing football
Yet here we sit .. repeating nfc west champions .. playoff bound .. are we struggling at the moment? Yeah .. does that change what we have down over the course of two seasons .. suddenly Mcvay not a genius .. goffs back to bust status

Y’all need to lighten up and breath .. sheesh

Legatron4

Legend
Name
Wes
Just so everyone knows this is what Drew Brees last 3 games look like.

531 yards 2 TDs 3 INTs 77.2 QB rating

Name
Victor
no he is not . He is a system QB . When something goes wrong with the system , he is the worst QB in the NFL . ( stats show he was the worst or second worst in the last 3 games , completing around 50 % of this throws , 1 td and 7 picks )

Name
Victor
Just so everyone knows this is what Drew Brees last 3 games look like.

531 yards 2 TDs 3 INTs 77.2 QB rating

I will take that . that is much better than 50 % completion rate , 1 td and 7 picks , oh and 3 fumbles .

Dieter the Brock

Fourth responder
no he is not . He is a system QB . When something goes wrong with the system , he is the worst QB in the NFL . ( stats show he was the worst or second worst in the last 3 games , completing around 50 % of this throws , 1 td and 7 picks )

This is a system post
When something goes wrong with the system it’s the worst post on ROD

Name
Victor
This is a system post
When something goes wrong with the system it’s the worst post on ROD
Lol say what you want. Goff is a system qb. Doesn't mean he is bad, it means he needs a perfect system to work in his favor or else...well...or else he will not be very good.

The Ramowl

Starter
To be fair I think we jumped the gun on calling Goff elite and placing him on the top of the mountain just yet. Now he has had a great season overall, but consistency is a very important thing for a QB, and so is winning clutch games.
Goff has improved in his capacity to be solid in game changing situations and we saw against the Chiefs that he was capable of a game winning drive, but whether or not he is truly elite will depend imho on his playoff performance in the future. If he is a strength to the team and allows us to go on deep runs, then he will definitely get closer to elite status.
Andy Dalton has had amazing regular seasons, but he is not considered as among the great based on his poor playoff performances.

OC--LeftCoast

Agent Provocateur
Name
Greg
Goff just turned 24 years old in October. Ask this questions again in about three years.
This much I know, Goffs stats age age 24 far suceed Peyton Manning and Wonderboy Brady at age 24

This is the epitome of a lame thread

Rant over

Carry on

Ken

Starter
Name
Ken Morris
He's the QB of my favorite team. By my definition that makes him elite. Fuck y'all if you don't agree.

LesBaker

Mr. Savant
Name
Les
If Goff has suddenly lost it judging by the last 3 games, then being fair requires that you judge McVay using the same standard and say the he has lot his ability to coach...I don't think that's the case..Meaning that I'm disappointed in both Goff and McVay over the last 3...I don't think either of them have lost their mojo permanently...

IMO this is less on Goff than McVay and the OL.

It's not like Goff suddenly forgot how to throw a football. But the blocking has been spotty and the play
calling has been too.

Sometimes you have to check yourself and control that urge to fling it like crazy. This was the big problem with Martz's play calling. McVay needs to restrain himself from falling into that mode and has to stop letting defenses goad him into abandoning the run game.

Versus the Bears they seemed to be in nickel and dime all night. Sort of the same with the Eagles.

Seriously it made me think of the Super Bowl when the Patriots went to the dime defense and weren't worried about Martz running it.

He is a system QB

If you are willing to expand on your opinion that you just posted "Doesn't mean he is bad, it means he needs a perfect system to work in his favor or else...well...or else he will not be very good" then there can be discussion. But just tossing out something that nebulous to back up your opinion isn't really an explanation. There are SO MANY moving parts involved, not to mention 22 players on the field. Again I'm willing to discuss this but you need to back up your claim with some things you see Goff doing.

Name
Victor
IMO this is less on Goff than McVay and the OL.

It's not like Goff suddenly forgot how to throw a football. But the blocking has been spotty and the play
calling has been too.

Sometimes you have to check yourself and control that urge to fling it like crazy. This was the big problem with Martz's play calling. McVay needs to restrain himself from falling into that mode and has to stop letting defenses goad him into abandoning the run game.

Versus the Bears they seemed to be in nickel and dime all night. Sort of the same with the Eagles.

Seriously it made me think of the Super Bowl when the Patriots went to the dime defense and weren't worried about Martz running it.

If you are willing to expand on your opinion that you just posted "Doesn't mean he is bad, it means he needs a perfect system to work in his favor or else...well...or else he will not be very good" then there can be discussion. But just tossing out something that nebulous to back up your opinion isn't really an explanation. There are SO MANY moving parts involved, not to mention 22 players on the field. Again I'm willing to discuss this but you need to back up your claim with some things you see Goff doing.

I already said it bro. To me it is unacceptable the fact that he plays so poorly under pressure. All qbs will be worst under pressure but Goff, takes this to another level. He literally goes from top 5 ( when protected) to the second worst in the league ( when under pressure).He gets rattled too easily. After the second hit that he takes he starts missing wide open targets, he starts giving up on plays too early, he starts throwing balls away because he is frustrated, he starts to lock in a target without realizing there are other targets free ,he starts forcing balls into double coverage and being intercepted.

Memento

Your (Somewhat) Friendly Neighborhood Authoress.
Name
Jemma

It's okay. I know that Goff pissed in your Wheaties, but you'll get over it in time.

TexasRam

Legend
I already said it bro. To me it is unacceptable the fact that he plays so poorly under pressure. All qbs will be worst under pressure but Goff, takes this to another level. He literally goes from top 5 ( when protected) to the second worst in the league ( when under pressure).He gets rattled too easily. After the second hit that he takes he starts missing wide open targets, he starts giving up on plays too early, he starts throwing balls away because he is frustrated, he starts to lock in a target without realizing there are other targets free ,he starts forcing balls into double coverage and being intercepted.

Complete crap.

Goff’s two year overall stats are top 5 overall in the entire NFL. Better than Brady, Rodgers and other “Elite QB’s”.

To make a statement that Goff is bottom 5 under pressure based on a 2 game sample size is laughable. Especially when 1 interception is a end of half hail Mary, 2 interceptions are a result of Goff being hit as he throws all of which skew the QB rating.

We are talking the Lions game in which Goff leads his team to 30 points, a eagles game in which Goff is #1 in the NFL in passig yards and 1 pass interference call from 30 points.

Your sample size is 1 game. The Bears game in which 3 interceptions are not in any way on Goff.

Sorry, one game doesn’t define an NFL QB. Every single Hall of fame QB has had multiple bad games every year he played.

Memento

Name
Jemma
what a retarded reply , STFU .

Look, pal, you're showing your true colors with the "r-word." And honestly? I'm sick of all of the fucking negativity in a fucking division-winning - and potential first-round-bye - season.

You're not the only one, true, but you calling Goff a system quarterback who is - and I quote - "without the system, he's the worst QB in the NFL" personally makes my blood boil. Hence my sarcastic response.

Again, it feels like fucking RamStalk with all of the negativity. I know that we have high expectations. I get it. I'm just as disappointed. But I don't want to spend my valuable time in sports talk dealing with negative horseshit, such as what you posted.

Peace.

Name
Victor
Look, pal, you're showing your true colors with the "r-word." And honestly? I'm sick of all of the freaking negativity in a freaking division-winning - and potential first-round-bye - season.

You're not the only one, true, but you calling Goff a system quarterback who is - and I quote - "without the system, he's the worst QB in the NFL" personally makes my blood boil. Hence my sarcastic response.

Again, it feels like freaking RamStalk with all of the negativity. I know that we have high expectations. I get it. I'm just as disappointed. But I don't want to spend my valuable time in sports talk dealing with negative horseshit, such as what you posted.

Peace.

can't you respect other peoples opinions ? I think he is a system QB , you don't and simply because of that you get so nervous and your blood boils ? really ? Are you a 17 year old spoiled lil chick on period that cannot handle an opinion different than yours ?

I gave all the reasons to why I think he is a system QB .

1- When under pressure he can't even have a decent game . He is the second worst QB in the league when under pressure .

2- Defenses are not giving him any pre snap reads until communication is cut off ( 15 seconds on the clock ) . So mcvay cannot tell him exactly what to do anymore . He has to go on his own . And it seems he can't . ( at least so far ) .

So you add those TWO FACTS , and to me , it looks like a system QB . A QB that needs to have a perfect protection from the o line and a QB that needs to have the coach telling him exactly what to do every snap.

He can't extend plays also because he is not really mobile .

If everything works perfectly fine , he is awesome . If something goes wrong , like O line having trouble or mcvay can't tell him what to do , well ....he is not so good to put it politely . To me that looks like a system QB . If the system works perfectly fine he is awesome , if the system has a few issue ...well .....

Last edited:
Name
Victor
To be fair I think we jumped the gun on calling Goff elite and placing him on the top of the mountain just yet. Now he has had a great season overall, but consistency is a very important thing for a QB, and so is winning clutch games.
Goff has improved in his capacity to be solid in game changing situations and we saw against the Chiefs that he was capable of a game winning drive, but whether or not he is truly elite will depend imho on his playoff performance in the future. If he is a strength to the team and allows us to go on deep runs, then he will definitely get closer to elite status.
Andy Dalton has had amazing regular seasons, but he is not considered as among the great based on his poor playoff performances.

solid post . Agree 100 %

Memento

Name
Jemma
can't you respect other peoples opinions ? I think he is a system QB , you don't and simply because of that you get so nervous and your blood boils ? really ? Are you a 17 year old spoiled lil chick on period that cannot handle an opinion different than yours ?

Honestly? You're wrong. I'm sorry, but your opinion is completely wrong. You didn't say that shit in Goff's first eight games, did you? You didn't say that after that masterful Minnesota game. You didn't say that after he carved up the Chiefs. I guaran-fucking-tee that you didn't say it after his first full season, when he showed immense poise in all but a few of his games.

Short-term memory is extremely selective. What you're saying is short-term to a negative extreme, just to fit a false narrative.

That's what makes my blood boil. Your response was inflammatory and based on a false narrative. You didn't even try to disguise it at first; you went straight for the kill. Whether you did it to illicit a response or whatever is only known by you.

And if Goff does turn out to be only a system quarterback - which I highly doubt - will being right bring you satisfaction? Would it bring you more satisfaction than, say, a Super Bowl championship?

I respect other people's opinions when they aren't being inflammatory and based entirely on falsehoods like yours was. Worst quarterback in the league without the system is not even close to being true.

But again, it's not just you. I avoid the gameday thread completely. I don't even open it. That's how toxic it is.

ROD was built on the premise that you could have a beer and shoot the shit with others. It was built on being a Ram-friendly forum, where we didn't dump on the players, coaches, front office, or anyone who worked for the Rams. Saying that Goff is the "worst quarterback" without the "system" doesn't feel like shooting the shit - more like throwing the shit.

But I've said my piece, and I doubt that I'll convince you otherwise.

Status
Not open for further replies.