Is Barron a strong safety? Free safety? Stay tuned --PD

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

RamBill

Legend
Is Barron a strong safety? Free safety? Stay tuned
• By Jim Thomas

http://www.stltoday.com/sports/foot...cle_88964bfa-0da6-5b37-8658-034b8151f531.html

All in all, the Rams were happy as clams to acquire safety Mark Barron in Tuesday’s trade with Tampa Bay.

“We obviously liked Mark coming into the league,” coach Jeff Fisher said following Wednesday’s practice at Rams Park. “He was an outstanding college player. We thought he had a lot of ability, and whatever the reasons are (for the trade) down there, we had an opportunity to take advantage of getting a good football player.”

As to exactly how the Rams plan to use him, stay tuned. They’re apparently still figuring that out. And if Fisher knows, he’s not telling.

“I’m not going to speculate the roles and things like that,” Fisher said. “We got a good player. I’m gonna spend some time with him, and talk about where and how he fits at some other point.”

At 6-2, 213, Barron has the size of a strong safety and has a hard-hitting style best suited to playing in the box, defending the run and occasionally getting after the quarterback — which actually describes the style of play of the Rams’ current starting strong safety, 6-3, 217-pound T.J. McDonald.

But Barron, in his first interviews with St. Louis reporters, said he’s capable of playing strong or free.

“I feel like I’m an athletic guy,” Barron said. “I can do whatever I’m asked to do. I just like to get involved more. So it’s easy to get involved early in the game when you’re in the box.”

But Barron said he’d have no problem if asked to play free safety, which usually includes more coverage responsibilities and involves playing farther off the line of scrimmage.

“A lot of my career for as long as I’ve been playing I actually played free,” Barron said. “People don’t know that, but for a lot of my career I have.”

He was speaking mainly about his college career at Alabama.

Just a couple of stalls away in the Rams’ locker room, McDonald also said he could play free safety if called upon.

“I can do whatever they tell me to do,” McDonald said. “Once I get out there on the field, I’ve just gotta go make plays wherever I’m at. There’s only one ball on the field and we all gotta get to it. So if I’ve gotta get to it from a little further depth, then I’ve gotta get on my horse.”

Fisher said both McDonald and free safety Rodney McLeod have been playing well this season. But the opportunity to acquire Barron, for fourth- and sixth-round draft picks in 2015, was something the Rams felt they couldn’t pass up.

“He’s a smart, instinctive football player,” Fisher said. “He’ll hit you. He understands angles. Gosh, he was a first-round pick (in 2012) and for whatever reason it didn’t work out or they felt like he didn’t fit in the system.

“We’ll find a way to fit him into our system at some point. I don’t know whether that’s a week or six weeks or next year. But we need depth at the position and we’re banged up a little bit.

“I spoke with him (Tuesday) night after we put the deal together. Obviously he was surprised and shocked but excited about a new start. He’s got a lot of catching up to do. I think he’s going to be, in time, a very good player for us.”

Barron showed up halfway through the Rams’ Wednesday practice, which was reduced to a one-hour walk-through session because the team has so many injured players. (There were 13 players listed on the injury report.)

But Barron could find himself playing this Sunday in San Francisco, be it special teams or on defense, if for no other reason than injuries at the safety position. McLeod didn’t practice Wednesday because of a knee injury suffered Sunday in Kansas City. His status is uncertain for San Francisco at this point. Ditto for Cody Davis, who is going through the concussion protocol this week based on symptoms experienced after a collision against the Chiefs.

When asked if it was realistic to think he could play against the 49ers, Barron said: “Depending on what they ask me to do. I can most definitely play if you just let me go out there and play football like I can. But I don’t know what they want me to do.”

Fisher called the trade a last-minute thing on Tuesday.

“We went right up against the deadline,” Fisher said. “We had about an hour.”

Barron was as surprised as anyone about the trade. He missed the initial phone call from Tampa Bay informing him of the trade, so he learned about it through the media.

“Then I went and called back and I found out that everything was official,” Barron said. “I had no idea that I was even available for a trade. I enjoyed the experience I had in Tampa, but it’s on to new things for me.”

Head-coaching changes often lead to massive personnel changes, and Barron didn’t seem like a fit in the more passive Cover 2-based scheme under new Buccaneers coach Lovie Smith.

“Yeah, it is passive,” Barron said. “That’s kind of the only thing I didn’t like about it a lot of times. I had to sit back and I couldn’t really be as aggressive as I wanted to in that system. So yeah, I would most definitely say that.”

RamzFanz

Damnit
Barron could be a star as a strong safety stopping the run and filling holes. He's also good against the short pass which the Rams need. Unfortunately, McDonald is just not a good free safety so Barron is probably stuck.

LumberTubs

As idle as a painted ship upon a painted ocean
Name
Phil
I'd feel happier with a ball hawking free safety but the general feeling about Barron on here seems positive so between him, McDonald, McLeod (who has actually grown on me this season) and Cody Davis (who I also like) I'm feeling quite positive about our safeties

Alan

Legend
I haven't heard much much talk about there being no difference in the duties of our safeties from Rams spokesmen anymore. I guess they figured we were actually watching the game and could see they do have a FS and a SS both skill set wise and scheme wise. I always thought that was so much BS. Of course every team would like a safety that could do everything but that's a long way from the line that they were putting out earlier.

I still think we need to get a premier FS next year early in the draft but I like the addition of Barron. I wonder where we are CAP wise?

Mojo Ram

Name
mojo
If he can come in and play up like a hard-pipin' LB in the mold of an Adrian Wilson type i'm all for it. We're a little soft there IMO.

junkman

Farewell to all!
Name
junkman
After Davis went down, we had Joyner back there at FS. I wonder if Joyner might be the ball hawking center fielder? And put Gaines or Jenkins in the slot when we get TruJo back?

Ballhawk

Please don't confuse my experience for pessimism!
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
NPW
And play McD at OLB, maybe?

Sum1

Hall of Fame
If Williams is as creative as he has been in the past he will find a way to get our best 11 on the field and make plays...it should be looked at simply as that.

jap

Legend
Barron could be a star as a strong safety stopping the run and filling holes. He's also good against the short pass which the Rams need. Unfortunately, McDonald is just not a good free safety so Barron is probably stuck.

Fish talked about how TJ Mac was mis-used his senior year, and how he was better in coverage than many thought. Remember, Fish coached his dad and kept tabs on the progress of young TJ. This news from Fish occurred after the 2013 draft when talking about why he drafted TJ.

Thordaddy

Binding you with ancient logic
Name
Rich
we've all been speculating about roster moves for a few weeks and I'd say the coaches and Snead have seen a great deal of film on this guy under NFL conditions
I think they are well aware of what he can and does do,it's unimaginable to me that he won't have some immediate (within two weeks) impact

I have reservations about the trade ,it's never good when a team gives up on a first round player in his third year but from all I've read about the guy his personality is more a fit with Williams philosophy than Lovies and the cost to us (other than the contract size) isn't bad and it's time to get this roster a little older anyway
I also have never been a fan of personnel ideas since he advised the Rams to let London Fletcher walk

jap

Legend
After Davis went down, we had Joyner back there at FS. I wonder if Joyner might be the ball hawking center fielder? And put Gaines or Jenkins in the slot when we get TruJo back?

So, if Joyner is the Sheriff of the Secondary, does that make TJ Mac the Commissioner and Barron, the Marshall? :sneaky: Is the Horns' secondary about to challenge our front four for the title of the most feared unit on the field? as Light's Out Central? :ROFLMAO:

DaveFan'51

Old-Timer
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Dave
I'm starting to think the Rams are going to go to a " Right and Left Safety' attitude, rather than "True" SS's and FS's. And then they will shuffle them around!!

RamBill

Legend
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
CineSport’s Brian Clark asks the Post-Dispatch’s Jim Thomas how Mark Barron fits into the Rams’ defense, and how injuries will affect the Rams against the 49ers on Sunday.

Watch JT Talk Barron & Injuries

Athos

Legend
Just run 3 safeties out there. Like someone said, we may not win many more games, but teams will take an absolute beating playing us. Look forward to Barron lighting up guys on those short dump offs.

BonifayRam

Legend
Name
Vernon
When both CB's return to heath & back in the starting positions thus sending now starting corners Gaines & Roberson to the Nickel & Dime packages......with that Joyner going into his natural best position IMO @ deep safety.......now with Mark Barron wearing the Horns sliding into the Strong Safety post & then is the real plan maybe to use TJ cM Donald like he was used his last season with USC ....to bring relief to the under-performing Lb'ing cadre where that great size & speed & hitting ability could team him with JL & Tree putting Dunbar on the sideline in reserve? TJ.???

CB-Jenkins
CB-Johnson
FS- Joyner
SS-Barron
WLB- TJ McDonald
LB- JL
SLB-Alex Ogletree

Nickle-Gaines
Dime-Roberson

NJRamsFan

Please Delete
Rams On Demand Sponsor
If he can come in and play up like a hard-pipin' LB in the mold of an Adrian Wilson type i'm all for it. We're a little soft there IMO.
After a little reaearch adrian Wilson is the pre draft comparison I kept seeing thrown around.