Is anything up with Tyler Higbee?

• To unlock all of features of Rams On Demand please take a brief moment to register. Registering is not only quick and easy, it also allows you access to additional features such as live chat, private messaging, and a host of other apps exclusive to Rams On Demand.

Classic Rams

Hall of Fame
SEASONTMGPRECTRGREC/GYDSAVGYPGTDLNG
2016LA1611290.7857.75.3131
2017LAR1625451.629511.818.4138
2018LAR1624341.529212.218.3236
2019LAR1569894.673410.648.9333
2020LAR1544602.952111.834.7544
2021LAR1561854.15609.237.3537
2022LAR1565974.35768.938.4326

Man Higgs is slowing down! it's like he's got a refrigerator on his back! :laugh4:

And those targets, UGH... he dropped 32 passes this year... right in his hands!
:eyeroll:

feet+3.jpg

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
Been hearing complimentary comments re: this TE class. Sure would be nice to see us luck into a stud who can block or rumble through DBs after the catch. But then of course I like the Bavaro type TE. McVay undoubtedly prefers the Gonzalez end of the spectrum.

XXXIVwin

Hall of Fame
Rams have a LOT of needs that are a higher priority than TE, I think.

Give me Higbee, Hopkins, and a 6th rounder and I'm good...

RamFan503

Grill and Brew Master
Name
Stu
So I guess I'm the only one here that really likes what Higbeast brings to our team? There are 7 other TEs in the league with more yards. SEVEN!

And I'm going to hazard to guess that few if any of them do the dirty work we ask 89 to perform.

The Rams have never really had a top notch TE in my lifetime that I can recall.

Loves me some Tyler Higbeast.

dang

Legend
SEASONTMGPRECTRGREC/GYDSAVGYPGTDLNG
2016LA1611290.7857.75.3131
2017LAR1625451.629511.818.4138
2018LAR1624341.529212.218.3236
2019LAR1569894.673410.648.9333
2020LAR1544602.952111.834.7544
2021LAR1561854.15609.237.3537
2022LAR1565974.35768.938.4326

Man Higgs is slowing down! it's like he's got a refrigerator on his back! :laugh4:

And those targets, UGH... he dropped 32 passes this year... right in his hands!
:eyeroll:

View attachment 58071
After a nice start in the first 5 games Higbee has had a disappointing year. Not so much in his stats (0 TDs after 13 games) but in his performance as a receiver. He may have been injured but he missed quite a few balls and his ability to find significant YAC seemed to dissipate. I’ll rewatch the Broncos game to see why he and Hopkins were so productive. It could be the scheme or the way the Broncos were covering but it was different than any other game in years. I’ll repent if wrong and hope I am but im hoping it was scheme/injury rather than ability holding Higbee back.

oldnotdead

Legend
They will draft a TE this next draft or sign a young promising vet.

2023 could be his last year, so I expect them to get another TE and Hopkins could be a bridge starter for a year if necessary.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
ADOT is one of the more ridiculous stats there is and like all stats when taken in isolation it says zip. It's why stat driven analysis like PFF are absolute jokes. As I pointed out previously, if the defensive call is for Gaines to simply cover the A gaps, to take away the run he's graded down by PFF because he wasn't rushing the passer. The PFF analyst isn't versed well enough on the NFL to understand what he's seeing, so how can you trust the analysis?

In other words, don't trust stats taken out of context.

I was watching GB replays & Ty Neshke missed a couple blocks
from either a bad play call or him not understanding who to block .

So I guess my question is if your pass or run blocking & you don’t really block someone & late getting there.
How is that rated ?

Dagonet

Grillin and Chillin
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Jeff
So I guess I'm the only one here that really likes what Higbeast brings to our team? There are 7 other TEs in the league with more yards. SEVEN!

And I'm going to hazard to guess that few if any of them do the dirty work we ask 89 to perform.

The Rams have never really had a top notch TE in my lifetime that I can recall.

Loves me some Tyler Higbeast.
I love Higbeast!

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Higbee makes Cooper Kupp LOL.Those 2 guys both just grind & Kupp loves it.
—Havienstien and Higbee as well. He plays through pain.

—I swear though he had a TD against the 9ers this season that would have changed that game & mYbe even the season. Would have been a 50 yarder & a classic play call for the Rams ages.

Didn’t happen he dropped it & his first TD(surprisingly) was at Green Bay from Baker.

Was wondering because Van Jefferson has 3 TD’s this season by 3 different QB’s & non from Matthew Stafford.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
They will draft a TE this next draft or sign a young promising vet.

2023 could be his last year, so I expect them to get another TE and Hopkins could be a bridge starter for a year if necessary.
You know The Rams could have drafted Kittles.That 2017 draft class was probably The Best Draft Ever in Rams history.

Jacob Harris was a fun thought at TE. He has had some tough luck.

The Rams have to bring in a TE. Hopkins last season as well,but Higbee is Mentoring him & that relationship is going to be special because of 2022.
You see Mcvay engaging with Hopkins now & 12 personnel.

This use to be Mcvay’s Bread & Butter.The Rams have only carried 2 TE’s all season.I think Mcvay is going to build on last week.

Merlin

Enjoying the ride
Rams On Demand Sponsor
ROD Credit | 2023 TOP Member
If only he was Higbeast more often.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
I forget which year but we are spoiled by that 6-7 game stretch where he was playing like the best TE in the NFL. He may be injured but most players are at this point in the season. It’s his drops and his “stone feet” that are troubling. He just doesn’t seem very fluid on the field this year. While the Rams have many needs I believe a change at TE would help the offense.
I think most of the team came into this season banged up. They were on fumes in the SB, some (like Higbee) were on pure heart going into the playoffs. Look at who was on the field when the SB ended. If the Rams had to play one more game, I don’t think they’re the champs.

Higbee has looked less than 100% all year to me. Either that, or the game has taken its toll and this is who he is now. Either way, I agree that the Rams need to draft a legit TE—not a late round project. If, and only if, that guy can supplant Higbee during camp do I move on and release/trade Higbee; otherwise, I’m keeping him, thinking it might take a good portion of the season for that draft pick to emerge as our clear cut #1.

fanotodd

Diehard
Rams On Demand Sponsor
Name
Fanotodd
Remember when McVay came to the Rams and many were excited about the way he used the Tight End in his offense in Washington?

Whatever happened there? Last year was a great TE class in the draft. Higbee seems to be breaking down. Why just be satisfied with Hopkins? Kittle has been great in basically the same offense.

If it wasn’t obvious during the Gurley years, the broncos reinforced the fact that a McVay offense centers around a strong run game. It is the play action that ultimately destroys defenses.

Whether it’s a 12 set (Washington) or an 11 (Rams) it’s about establishing the run to set up the downfield pass and it appears McVay seems to think it would be better to push the ball downfield with WRs instead of clunkier TEs. Just my opinion, but the yearly acquisition of WRs vs late round developmental TEs seems to fit that theory.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
If it wasn’t obvious during the Gurley years, the broncos reinforced the fact that a McVay offense centers around a strong run game. It is the play action that ultimately destroys defenses.

Whether it’s a 12 set (Washington) or an 11 (Rams) it’s about establishing the run to set up the downfield pass and it appears McVay seems to think it would be better to push the ball downfield with WRs instead of clunkier TEs. Just my opinion, but the yearly acquisition of WRs vs late round developmental TEs seems to fit that theory.

2 camps ago during OTA’s Jacob Harris was taking 1st. Team reps at TE. Higbee being hurt.

If you want to look at the Superbowl win it was Hopkins that came a live to help win the game. He looked good against Denver as well.

J. Harris was a TE then a WR & then a TE,but always gets hurt on special teams.
Yes,having a bigger TE that has talent should be the call?

CGI_Ram

Hamburger Connoisseur
Name
Burger man
  • Thread Starter Thread Starter
I am disappointed Jacob Harris couldn’t carve out a role at TE.

The WR room is more crowded and it’s hard to see him working up the depth chart as it stands now.

Elmgrovegnome

Legend

The WR room is more crowded and it’s hard to see him working up the depth chart as it stands now.
Especially since they wasted a fourth round pick on someone who turned out to be a huge project.

RamDino

Rams On Demand Sponsor
Rams On Demand Sponsor
For the 10th time... if Benny Skow can play fullback, he can play tight end. What is McVay waiting for? This guy would be a mismatch for any linebacker or safety, he has very good hands, and he can block. Harris has been a bust so why not try Skow.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
For the 10th time... if Benny Skow can play fullback, he can play tight end. What is McVay waiting for? This guy would be a mismatch for any linebacker or safety, he has very good hands, and he can block. Harris has been a bust so why not try Skow.

I think you’re giving Ben Sko too much credit.There are it will be better options. Might sound good,but that’s not his skill set.

Jacob Harris Inguess you could call a bust. His rookie season in training camp he was hurt.I remember him running routes in shells.IMO he was not all that & I posted that. He ran awkwardly & not fluid. When you see a players 40,but doesn’t look right in pads. That is a issue or a concern.
Harris gets down the field well,but he has a long gate. Meaning the reason he has gotten hurt on special teams is his stride & stop & go.Don’t know if that or I ever make sense,but that was my scouting on him. He has a large catch radius with his strength & size.

Mcvay is finally HOT on Brycen. He is bigger than Ben Sko,has better hands & a better blocker.He has really gotten stronger & a workout warrior type.He just losses focus,interest? Hard to explain,but he has that tough guy mentality.

Back to Ben Sko.He is what he is & that is excellent in slants. He is not your sure handed WR. He blocks well & puts in good effort.I don’t see him getting much better,but Kupp is the limit.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter

It’s a process.His injuries is what really held him back. He really doesn’t have that much football experience & Mcvay was trying him again at TE.

—Brycen Hopkins it The Man now.What he did in the Superbowl & last week was impressive.Now that is he & Higbee it excellent for him.

Mcvay just talked him up & said every time he has been called upon he has stepped up.The other part of it that reporters aren’t talking about is Higbee has a elbow(sore) injury . That means Hopkins is getting all those 1st. team reps.

So Ram

Legend
Camp Reporter
Especially since they wasted a fourth round pick on someone who turned out to be a huge project.
Better than the T. Lewis project!!

What was that a 3rd rd pick ?

Let’s just hope Van & Cam keep balling out!! Let’s add Tutu Atwell to the mix as well.